2016년 12월 1일 목요일

The Black Box 3

The Black Box 3


CHAPTER I*
 
*Concerning "A Certain Person"*
 
 
It was on the tenth day of June, in the year sixteen hundred and
eighty-five (and three days after my first meeting with Tubal Ammon),
when, as you know, King James the Second had scarce been three months on
his quaking throne, that I, Michael Fane, of Lyme Regis, in the county
of Dorset, fell headlong, as it were, and quite unwittingly, into such a
pother of adventure, mystery, and trouble, as few men--let alone a
youth, as I then was--may hope to come through with their lives. That,
however, by a rare good fortune, having been my lot, I am minded, now in
these peaceful days, when good King William rules us with a firm, wise
hand, to set down, for all of you who care to read it, a full and true
account of what befell me in those throbbing months of blood and
warfare.
 
To begin, then (as my old preceptor, Master Pencraft, used to put it),
at the right end of the rope, I was summoned before breakfast on that
bright June morning to my father’s study, in our old house, The
Havering, just outside the town, where we two lived together, my mother
having died three years before.
 
Now, although we were ever early risers at The Havering, I had never
known my father require me to attend on him at such an hour (it being
scarcely half-past six); but recollecting that I was eighteen that very
day, the thought of some present being at the bottom of the matter added
speed to the steps of filial duty as I hurried to the study.
 
I found my father seated, quill in hand, very stiff and upright at his
table, on which some papers were spread out before him; while at his
elbow stood the hour-glass to which he still clung, because, as he said,
the ticking of a clock disturbed his thoughts. The sunlight falling on
his whitened hair and beard made them shine like silver; and I remember,
too, that through the open window came the gladsome morning song of
birds. In truth, there could scarce have been a sight which promised
more of peace and less of violence.
 
As I entered, my father looked up at me with those keen, deep-set eyes
which could still flash fire for all their nearly seventy years of use.
 
"Good morning to you, Michael!" said he.
 
"Good morning to you, sir!" I answered, feeling some uneasiness, for the
flickering smile with which he greeted me had scarcely touched his face
before it vanished, leaving him grave and solemn as a judge; so that I
stood there with my hand upon the door-latch, wondering swiftly which of
my many sins had found me out.
 
"Be seated, Michael," said my lather, pointing with his pen-point to a
chair in front of him; and down I sat, with some such qualms as I was
used to have when paying those private visits to my schoolmaster which
were wont to end in certain flagellation.
 
For what seemed quite an age, my father sat there looking at me in a
fixed, abstracted way which made me feel still more uncomfortable; then,
having laid down his pen and turned the hour-glass, he leaned back in
his chair with folded hands and said:
 
"Michael, my son, you have passed another milestone on life’s road; you
are eighteen to-day--a man, in fact."
 
Here he paused, as though expecting me to speak: but although his words
had mightily relieved me, and made me feel a good inch taller, too, I
could think of no answer for them; and so I only nodded--sat a little
straighter in my chair, and wondered what was coming next. Perceiving
this, he thus continued:
 
"Yes, Michael, you are now old enough to play the man in right good
earnest. ’Tis high time that you were up and doing in the world. For,
mark you, I would not have a son of mine an idle, useless popinjay."
 
"Nor would I choose the part," I put in bluntly.
 
"Nay, I am sure you would not," rejoined my father proudly. "You come
of a wrong stock for that. But, look you, you spoke of choosing parts;
what part, what calling, would you choose if you were able?"
 
"Fighting--soldiering, that is," I answered readily.
 
A blazing, warlike gleam leapt suddenly into the old man’s eyes, and as
he sat bolt upright in his chair, and glanced with glowing pride at that
well-tried sword of his which hung upon the wall, I thought I never saw
so fine a man.
 
"’Tis well and bravely said," he murmured. "Fighting--soldiering! A
young man could not make a better choice than that. And, as you know,
Michael, I speak from great experience. In the days of good King
Charles the Martyr--God rest his soul!--I fought in nigh a dozen
battles, counting skirmishes. And gladly would I fight again if I were
able. Ah, yes! there is no finer work for any man than fighting for his
king."
 
"His king!" I echoed. "Must I then fight for James?"
 
"Certes," replied my father with an astonished look. "For whom else
would you fight, my son?"
 
"I know not, but I hate King James," I blurted out. "He is a cruel man,
a poltroon, and a----"
 
"Hush!" broke in my father, raising a warning hand; and even as he spoke
there came a sound like that of someone stirring stealthily among the
shrubs outside the window.
 
We both rose and looked out searchingly, but as there was nothing to be
seen, sat down again.
 
"What was it, think you?" I asked.
 
"A cat, perhaps; or maybe the dog," replied my father.
 
But I was far from satisfied; for I had distinctly heard that which, his
hearing being somewhat hard, had escaped the old man’s notice--to wit,
what sounded like cautious, slinking footsteps. However, as the thing
could not be proved, I let it pass.
 
"You spake without due thought, son Michael," said my father gravely.
"Such words as you just now used are as dangerous as wild. Kings must
vary, even as mankind itself doth vary. There must be good and bad in
everything; and sometimes ’tis the kingship that we fight for, not the
man. And mark you, Michael, even a bad king were far better than no
king at all--aye, a thousand times!"
 
I felt far from sure of that, but my father was no man to argue with,
especially upon one’s birthday, so I did not press the matter.
 
"But is there no other king that I can fight for?" I asked. "John
Cornish went from Lyme here, as you know, into the Netherlands, fought
for the Prince of Orange, and became a captain. Can I not do the same,
sir?"
 
My father frowned and stroked his beard, as was his wont when not well
pleased.
 
"That is fortune-soldiering," he answered gravely; "a thing I do not
favour. For although it certainly hath bred good fighters, ’tis apt to
lead to looseness--selling the sword, that is, for money to the highest
bidder. Nay, Michael, I would not have my son do that. Fight for your
king and country when the time comes, and let that suffice."
 
"But how and where, then, shall I fight?" I asked. "Since Monmouth cut
the Covenanters up at Bothwell Brig there hath been naught worth the
name of fighting; and although ’tis said the Duke of Argyle is in
Scotland with some followers, that will not touch us: he will soon be
done for. Nay, sir, I see no chance of fighting here in England. All
is peace."
 
"Yes, but methinks it will not be so long, Michael," rejoined my father
with a knowing look.
 
"What mean you, sir?" I asked.
 
"I mean," he answered, leaning forward with his arms upon the table and
speaking in a whisper, "I mean that I have certain knowledge that at any
moment bloody civil war may again break out among us."
 
"How, sir, and what proof?" I cried, springing to my feet.
 
"Sit down," replied my father quietly. Then, opening a drawer, he drew
therefrom a letter. "Here is my proof," he said, unfolding it, "though
certes it was not for me; I found it wedged inside a larger document
which came by post last night. Thus it had been overlooked. I opened
it unthinkingly, and, when I saw the nature of its contents, kept it;
and that rightly, as it seems to me. Read it," he added, holding the
paper out across the table.
 
’Twas addressed to a man well known to us; one who had fought with Blake
when he held Lyme so stoutly against Prince Maurice in the Civil Wars.
 
The writing was a poor scrawl enough, and hard to read in parts, but
this is how it ran:--
 
 
"Dated from London, 8th June, 1685.
 
"FRIEND,
 
"These are to advise thee that honest Protestants forthwith prepare and
make themselves very ready, for they have notice here at Court that a
Certain Person will forthwith appear in the West, which puts them here
at Court into a most dreadful fear and confusion; ’tis hoped, therefore,
that all honest men who are true Protestants will stick together and
make ready for the trumpet call of Freedom. Argyle have had great
success in Scotland, and have already destroyed great part of the King’s
forces there; and we hear from good hands that he hath sure an army that
doth increase so mightily daily that nothing can oppose them; and if
they be once up in the West they would suddenly be up in all parts of
England, all Protestants being certainly prepared and resolved rather to
die than to live Slaves and Papists. Therefore make good use hereof,
and impart it to such as you can trust, that you may all be prepared and
ready against the appearance of a Certain Person, which will be
forthwith if not already.
 
"From your friend,
"F.R."
 
   

댓글 없음: