2016년 7월 31일 일요일

Glimpses of Ocean Life 14

Glimpses of Ocean Life 14



On one occasion I sat up all night, feeling confident, from symptoms
which a certain Cancer mænas exhibited, that he was speedily about to
exuviate. Alas! I was mistaken. On my endeavouring to expedite the
event by lifting up the carapace of the crab, I received a nip on my
finger so severe, that I shall never forget it.
 
But at length in the early portion of last year (1859), I, most
happily for my own peace of mind, did actually witness the entire
process of exuviation in a tolerably large specimen of the Common Shore
Crab. The animal in question, who was domiciled in a crystal vase,
or, in common language, a glass tumbler, rendered himself a favourite
from his constant habit of poking part of his head and his entire
claw (he had got but one), out of the water whenever he caught sight
of me. Who could resist such a powerful, though silent appeal to 'the
generous impulses of one's nature' as this? Certainly I could not,
and therefore, once a day at least, gave Master Cancer the half of a
newly-opened mussel, a tit-bit that was greatly relished. He would
sometimes get a grip of the valve, and allow himself and the Mytilus
to be entirely raised out of the water. Improving upon this, he would
then partly finish his meal while seated in my hand. On the morning
of the above mentioned eventful day, I gave the crab a portion of a
Pholas, but to my surprise, the heretofore high-class dainty remained
untouched. I was in ecstasies! for I felt morally certain that the
grand event, so long looked for, was soon to take place. Consequently,
I took out the crab, cleaned the windows of his dwelling in order
that I might the better see what was going on within, treated him to
some fresh water, as well as a new frond of sea-weed, and then again
introduced my pet to his old apartment.
 
Before doing this I had the animal closely examined, to see if any
signs of the approaching moult could be detected, but none were
visible, except that the glassy bags, if I may so call them, which for
some weeks had been gradually thrown out from the stumps of the three
mutilated limbs, appeared finer in texture than usual. Indeed, so
transparent had they become, that I could distinctly see the contour of
the new limb about to be reproduced, folded up within each capsule.
 
A few minutes after the crab had been placed in the tumbler, I gave a
peep to see how he was getting on. To my intense surprise, I observed
that his shell had just opened near the tail! My first feeling was
one of sorrow, thinking that in handling the specimen I had been too
rough, and had perhaps injured it. This apprehension was soon changed
to delight, as I became by degrees aware that exuviation had actually
commenced.
 
The operation did not extend beyond five minutes (although the time
appeared much longer to me), and was carried on by gentle, and at first
almost imperceptible degrees. The shell, or carapace, was slowly raised
over the back, and gave one the idea of the rear view of a lawyer's
white wig when tilted over his brow, thus exposing the natural black
hair on the occiput below; for, as the body of the animal came forth,
it was very dark in colour, while the old case assumed a whitish hue.
I need hardly say, the leg sheaths of the crab did _not_ split open,
and yet the corresponding limbs were drawn out with the greatest ease.
Moreover, they did not appear in view one by one, but in a cluster, as
it were, and packed close to the bent body of the crab.
 
During the entire process the animal appeared to use scarcely any
exertion whatever, certainly not half so much as any human being would
exhibit in throwing off the most trifling garment. In fact, the crab
seemed to swell painlessly, and gently roll or glide out in a kind
of ball. Until it had completely escaped from its old shell, I was
somewhat puzzled to guess what shape it would eventually assume. The
eyes and antennæ, so soon as they left their old sheaths, commenced,
together with the flabellæ, to work as usual, although as yet they were
still inside the exuvium. This circumstance was distinctly visible by
looking through the side of the half-cast shell.
 
It was a curious and extraordinary sight to see the eyes gradually lose
their brilliancy, and exhibit the filmy, lack-lustre-like appearance of
death, while the act of exuviation was being accomplished. I may add
that the tumbler which held my little captive stood upon a table near
a large window, and that the sloughing operation was watched through a
powerful hand lens.
 
On an after and well-remembered occasion, I saw a moderate-sized
Partane standing on the top of a bush of _Chondrus Crispus_ that grew
in my aquarium. The fronds were attached to a piece of sandstone,
placed uppermost upon a cluster of rock-work, situated, as before
mentioned, in the centre of the vessel, and rising slightly above the
level of the water. Thinking he was planning means of escape, I turned
away for a few moments to procure a simple instrument wherewith to
carry him to a less elevated position. On my return I saw him in the
act of backing out of his shell. It was a singular circumstance that
I should have just risen from the perusal of a talented author, who
informed me that 'the crab hitches one of its claws into some crack or
fissure, and from this point of resistance gives more power in emerging
and withdrawing itself from between the carapace and the tail.'
 
Certainly no statement could more inadequately describe what I had
witnessed in both of my crabs. Not only was the whole operation
performed with perfect ease, but I am much inclined to believe with a
degree of pleasure. For a while one of my crabs stood in juxtaposition
to the shadow of its former self, and rubbed his antennæ and wee
peeping eyes as if awakening from a sleep. He had been lately, there
was no doubt, living in an oppressed state, and might probably have
surveyed things around him somewhat darkly, but now all was bright and
clear again. On turning, the first object that caught his awakened
eye was his cast-off vestment, which he seemed to scan as dubiously
as a grown man would an exhumed pair of boyish corduroys, and mutter
musingly, while stroking his chin, 'Well, come what will, it can never
be my _case_ again.'
 
On taking it in my hand, the Partane felt quite soft and velvetty to
the touch, and exhibited no signs of alarm.
 
Since then I have repeatedly had shells of crabs cast _in smooth glass
globes, containing nothing else but clear salt water_. This fact, in
my opinion, completely subverts the statements of certain writers, who
assert that these animals require extraneous assistance when about to
exuviate.
 
Some writers have questioned the truth of the generally-received
opinion that the new parts of the crab are derived from the old: that,
for instance, a claw is regenerated within a claw, a limb within a
limb, eyes within the eyes, and that on exuviation each is withdrawn
from the pre-existing organ as from a sheath. But my operations tend
fully to confirm the popular and existing belief.
 
There is yet one curious point connected with this subject which
requires explanation, as it is not generally understood. I allude to
the apparent disproportionate smallness of the 'glassy bag,' situated
at the stump, as compared with the size of the regenerated limb, which
is supposed to be folded up within the bag previous to exuviation.
On looking at the newly-formed member, we can scarcely believe it
possible that the transparent case could by any possibility have held
it. The mystery vanishes if the new limb or claw be examined; for,
although in shape it is perfect, even to the most minute particular, it
remains for a certain period comparatively useless to the animal, from
the fact of its being utterly devoid of flesh.
 
The new limb, therefore, can be considered merely as an expanded case,
which, by a wonderful law of nature, becomes slowly filled up and
completed. Immediately after exuviation has taken place, and a claw is
introduced in the place of some mutilated stump, if any one will pull
off the new member, he can readily confirm the truth of what I have
stated, and, moreover, be able to test into how very small bulk the new
limb may be rolled.
 
As the reader may remember, Goldsmith states that the crab casts its
shell 'regularly once a-year, at the beginning of May.' Professor
Owen fixes the date in the month of August. Professor Bell states,
that 'there is no doubt exuviation takes place _annually_ with great
regularity, until the growth is completed, which, in many species, is
not before the animal is many years old.' Another professor, treating
on the same subject, thus writes, 'We are told that all this coat
of mail is _annually_ thrown off in a single piece by the contained
animal,--the great proficient in Chinese puzzles may well be posed at
this greater puzzle.' In fact, all writers whose works I have had
opportunity of examining repeat the statement. Mr. Ball, who writes
from personal observation, apparently confirms beyond a doubt, the
annual moult of Crustacea. This gentleman, we learn, kept a Cray-fish
alive for two years in a vase, and found that _during each year its
exuvium was shed but once_.
 
It may readily be believed, with such a formidable array of contrary
evidence, that I offer my own observations with modesty. But at the
same time, I feel justified in confidently stating that the moult of
the crab, (in its comparatively youthful state, at all events), takes
place not only once, but many times during each year of its existence.
My specimens may, perhaps, be considered exceptions to the general
rule, but the facts I relate cannot by any possibility admit of doubt.
The cast-off shells lie before me as I write.
 
Here is a set of three belonging to the same animal, exhibiting with
marvellous exactness the gradual development of a broken claw. In the
first the member appears very diminutive, in the second it is nearly
twice its size, while in the third it has advanced to its natural form
and bulk. To my regret, I cannot state the exact period that elapsed
between each successive moult, but I am confident that the trio were
cast in the course of a very few months.
 
I may here take the liberty of informing the uninitiated, that the
appearance of the above objects is extremely pleasing; for, as the
exuvium becomes dry, its colour changes to a bright scarlet, somewhat
resembling that which the crab assumes when placed for a time in
boiling water.
 
The next series of specimens, five in number, possess even still
greater interest than the first examples. They were produced by a
youthful _C. mænas_, at the following consecutive intervals:--
 
The first moult took place on 11th April 1858; the second on the 22d
of May following; the third on July the 3d; the fourth on the 30th of
August; and the fifth on the 26th of September in the same year. So
that between the first and second period of exuviation there was an
interval of forty-one days, between the second and third forty-two days
elapsed, between the third and fourth fifty-eight days, but, singular
to state, between the fourth and fifth moult _only twenty-seven days
intervened_.
 
My first impression was, that as the creature grew older, its shell
would be renewed less frequently, and the dates of the sloughings
seemed to support this idea--until the fourth moult. It had occurred
to me that perhaps the operation might be accelerated by the amount
of diet which the crab consumed. In order to test this, I fed the
animal carefully every day, as though he were a prize beast about to be
exhibited at some Christmas show. Nothing loath, he ate of everything
that was placed before him with a gusto that would have done credit to
an alderman. The result was, that the shell was renewed in less than
half the time that elapsed between the preceding moults.

댓글 없음: