2016년 12월 28일 수요일

The Goddess of Reason 25

The Goddess of Reason 25


 VOICES (_within_)
 
_Ah! ça ira, ça ira, ça ira!
Les Aristocrats à la Lanterne!_
 
DE VARDES
 
_O Richard, O mon Roi,
L’univers t’abandonne!_
 
[_A howl from the mob._
 
THE MOB
 
Aristocrats!
 
GRÉGOIRE (_from the statue_)
 
Desperate!
 
[_The red caps_, DE VARDES, THE ABBÉ, _and_ DE BUC
_fight across the stage and exeunt_. GRÉGOIRE _follows
them_.
 
VOICES (_within_)
 
_Ça ira!_
 
_Enter women and children of the Revolution._
 
A WOMAN
 
Upon the church steps I will take my stand!
 
ANOTHER
 
I have brought my knitting.
 
A THIRD
 
And I.
 
A FOURTH
 
And I.
 
ALL (_singing_)
 
_We are the tricoteuses!
Dyed wool we knit while rumbles by the cart.
Knit! knit! all knitting in the sun._
 
_We are the tricoteuses!
Red wool we knit while soul and body part.
Knit! knit! the knitting now is done!_
 
[_They seat themselves upon the church steps._
 
A CHILD
 
Maman! Maman! how many carts will pass?
 
A WOMAN
 
None, sweeting, none! It is a holiday.
 
_Enter_ CÉLESTE, ANGÉLIQUE, _and_ NANON.
 
NANON
 
It was the very night of the great storm
From those dull convent walls she ran away!
 
CÉLESTE
 
Two years agone
 
ANGÉLIQUE
 
Would she had stayed!
 
NANON
 
Ah, then,
You had been Goddess, Angélique!
 
ANGÉLIQUE
 
The witch!
With her dark skin and with her purple flower!
Let her beware! I know a thing or two!
 
CÉLESTE
 
_I_ know who comes from Paris back to Nantes!
This morning on the quai I saw him!
 
NANON (_eagerly_)
 
Is’t
That ci-devant, that black Aristocrat,
De Vardes?
 
CÉLESTE
 
The man your brother loves? The same.
 
NANON
 
I spit upon his name!
 
CÉLESTE
 
Denounced!
 
NANON
 
The set of sun
Will see him so, or my name’s not Nanon!
 
CÉLESTE
 
The Loirethe Loire will close above his head!
 
_Enter_ SÉRAPHINE.
 
SÉRAPHINE
 
Whose head?
 
NANON
 
The Citizen Vardes.
 
SÉRAPHINE
 
Monseigneur!
He’s in the prison of La Force at Paris!
One truly told me soHe’s not in Nantes.
 
NANON
 
And if he were
 
SÉRAPHINE (_stammering_)
 
Whywhy
 
NANON
 
And if he were,
You would not give him up! I know you well!
I know you, Séraphine!
 
SÉRAPHINE
 
And if you do,
You know no ill of me, Citoyenne!
 
CÉLESTE
 
Yvette
Would not give him up either.
 
ANGÉLIQUE
 
No, i’ faith!
I’ll take my oath on that!
 
SÉRAPHINE
 
Your oath, lint-locks!
It’s worth a deal, your oath! _Your_ mind I know!
You would be Goddess, you and not Yvette!
 
ANGÉLIQUE
 
Let her beware!
 
SÉRAPHINE
 
Yvette! She’s coming now!
Bright as the star that’s highest in the night!
And all the men have turned astronomers!
Faith! ‘tis easy work to worship Reason,
When Reason is a woman, and that fair!
 
ANGÉLIQUE
 
I’ve seen her gather seaweed on the shore!
 
SÉRAPHINE
 
And now she gathers hearts in her two hands.
 
ANGÉLIQUE
 
Oh! oh!
 
NANON
 
Would that my brother hated her!
Disdainful prude!

댓글 없음: