2016년 10월 30일 일요일

War to the Knife 19

War to the Knife 19



"Oh! he is very clever, and a _toa_ as well--that is, a known athlete
or warrior. There has been no fighting since Heki's war in 1845, or he
would have distinguished himself in that way, I feel sure."
 
"And now, tell me, do _you_ think there is any danger of war breaking
out, as some people think?"
 
"There _will_ be war," replied the girl, fixing her eyes upon him with
a sad and boding __EXPRESSION__, "if the Governor takes the Waitara block
by force. The chief thinks so too. He has remonstrated against it,
though he will fight for your Queen to the death, and lead his tribe,
the great tribe of the Ngapuhi, against her enemies."
 
"It is a pity it cannot be avoided; but, after all, there are worse
things than war."
 
"If there are, I do not know them," said this Egeria of the South. "I
have not seen a Maori war, but if you had heard the things I have heard
you would never speak lightly of one of the most awful things in the
world."
 
"Then I hope there will _not_ be war," said Massinger, with a smile.
"Personally, I suppose the sooner I get over to Rotorua and back to
Auckland the better it will be. But whatever happens, I shall always
thank the fates that sent me on this particular journey."
 
"Then you are pleased, even now," she said. "Oh, I am so glad!" and
coming nearer to him, she took both his hands in hers, and, with a
gesture of childish simplicity, pressed them warmly, gazing into his
face with a look of frank delight, as might a sister thanking a brother
for a birthday gift.
 
He had never met this type of womanhood before, and might have well
been pardoned if he had misunderstood the feelings which appeared to
actuate this woodland sylph. But possessing, as he did, a sympathetic
insight into the higher nature of women, he judged correctly that she
was merely pleased with his approval of her presence and companionship.
 
As she withdrew her hands in a natural and instinctive fashion, while
the blush which mantled under her clear brown skin showed that she felt
herself to have overpassed the conventional line of courtesy, he half
turned towards their attendants, who in Indian file were following up
their footsteps. The Maori Ngarara was foremost on the trail, and must
have noticed their attitude. For one brief moment his countenance wore
the impress of all the darker passions, then relapsed into its usual
__EXPRESSION__ of sullen dissatisfaction.
 
"We must descend now," said she, after their meal was ended. "I will
promise not to go so fast for a while; you will find the evening walk
quite a saunter after this morning."
 
"And why, may I ask, did you make the pace so good then?"
 
"I had a reason, a good one," she replied; "I did not hear about it
till we were half way, or I should most certainly never have come this
route at all. Did you observe a Maori woman come up for a few minutes,
speak to Warwick, and go away?"
 
"Yes. I thought she might have some connection with the bearers. I
hardly knew whether she stayed with them or disappeared. Did she bring
a message?"
 
"Yes, and a most important one, too. That's why I pushed on at such
a rate. If we had been nearer home, I should have returned; but the
retreat would have been more dangerous than an advance."
 
"How can that be?"
 
"That woman ran twenty miles to warn me that Taratoa was out with a
_taua_--a war expedition. She said the natives believed that the war
was all but declared. Now, as Warwick will tell you, this Taratoa is
one of the most turbulent and bloodthirsty chiefs of his ruthless
tribe; and that is saying a good deal. He might--I don't say that he
would, but it is quite possible--think it a fine chance of increasing
his _mana_ by killing the first pakeha, which would mean the _mataika_
in the war--a most coveted distinction."
 
"What a ruffian! But 'dans la guerre c'est la guerre.' Pardon me for
quoting the French proverb."
 
"Mais, monsieur, je le comprend parfaitement," she returned for answer,
with a mock obeisance. "You must remember that there are here French as
well as English colonists. And besides, I spent a year at Akaroa long
ago, which, as all the world knows--the New Zealand world, I mean--was
at one time a French settlement."
 
Massinger bowed with all the grace he could muster, and apologized
for thinking it impossible that a New Zealand girl was conversant
with French. "You remind me," he said, "of the Admiral in 'Singleton
Fontenoy,' a naval novel of a later day than good old Captain Marryat.
He asks one of the middies, when before Acre, if he spoke Turkish.
 
"'No, sir. Oh no! what made you think so?'"
 
"'Well, you youngsters seem to have learned everything nowadays. I
thought you might know that among other languages.'"
 
She laughed at this with the unreserved merriment which characterized
her when not serious or mournful, which, indeed, was the ordinary
__EXPRESSION__ of her features when in repose.
 
"You had better ask Warwick if _he_ understands Turkish. He knows most
things. We must consult with him as to what is best to be done, when we
camp. But I think we had better push on to the Lakes, where we shall be
in the territory of Te Heu Heu. He will protect us."
 
So they fared on. Through flax swamps, where the sodden soil was often
midleg deep; anon through rushing ice-cold streams, where there was
difficulty in keeping footing, even when in no great depth of water;
up the rugged sides of mountains, where the narrow path lay between
the century-old pines, knee-high in bracken, and was occasionally
obstructed by the fallen mass of some patriarch of the forest, which
forbade direct progress.
 
Meanwhile, this wood-nymph and her attendants, the latter of whom
carried burdens of no mean weight, tripped onward swiftly, as if
the ordinary difficulties of such a journey were hardly worthy of
notice. Erena sped along like a votary of the huntress Diana. Few
obstacles made any noticeable difference to her pace, as she glided,
at the head of the party, with serene self-confidence--a marvel of
grace, swiftness, and endurance. Scarcely less was he stricken with
admiration at the courage and activity of the humbler members of the
party, particularly the women. They carried their burdens over the
difficulties of the road with unflinching perseverance, following in
Indian file the footsteps of Warwick, who occasionally made a detour,
when he thought it advantageous.
 
"What astonishing infantry a race like this would furnish!" thought
Massinger. "Amid these forests, reasonably drilled and armed, in a
guerilla war they could stand against the best troops in the world!
Sheltered by these ancient woods, the breast-high bracken, these
thickets impervious to all men but themselves, what chance would
disciplined troops have against them? I hope to Heaven that we may
never have to war with them _à l'outrance_. A succession of skirmishes
would not matter so much, but a prolonged war would be one of the most
expensive, and in some respects disastrous, on record."
 
He was recalled from these reflections by the voice of the guide,
who had fallen back, and stood at some short distance, awaiting an
opportunity to speak.
 
"I have halted the party," he said, "for we have no great distance to
go, and may travel in a leisurely manner. We shall soon have our first
sight of Taupo and commence to open out the hot lake country, with all
the wonders of which you have heard."
 
"I am not sorry," said Massinger; "for though nothing could be more
to my taste than our present form of journeying, yet I must confess
to feeling impatient to behold these marvels that are in every one's
mouth. I hope I shall not be disappointed."
 
"If so, you will be the first to confess it," said Warwick. "I have
seen them many times, but they always fill me with fresh wonder and
admiration. Nothing, in some respects, is equal to them in the world, I
believe. 'See Rotomahana and die,' may well be said."
 
"When I do see it, it will be well described. Between Erena and
yourself, I shall lose no part of legend or tradition."
 
"She is far better at the legendary business than I am," said Warwick.
"She has such a wonderful memory, and knows all the old tales and
_waiatas_ by heart. I tell her she should write a _pukapuka_ about
the place and the people. One is just as strange as the other."
 
"I think I must," said the subject of their conversation, who had
now approached, after concluding a colloquy with the women of the
expedition. "It seems hard that so many of these legends should be
lost. When I was a child, they used to be sung and repeated at every
camp fire. Now they are on the way to be forgotten. My father was
always promising to make a collection of them, but they strayed into
'By-and-by Street, which leads to the House of Never.'"
 
Massinger smiled. "I know that street myself, I must confess; but
while I live in your country it shall be _tapu_. The land of _Maui_ is
the place, and this year of grace the appointed time, for my work and
adventure."
 
"And if there should be war?" said she, regarding him with a searching
look, not wholly, as he thought, without a shade of doubt.
 
"All the more reason," he replied. "There is such a scarcity of honest
fighting nowadays, that it will be a treat to face the real thing in
one's own person."
 
For one instant an answering smile lit up her face as she gazed at
Massinger, who unconsciously drew himself up and raised his head, as
though fronting an advancing column. She sighed, as she came forward,
and lightly touching his shoulder, looked wistfully into his face.
"You love war; it is in your blood. So do my people; it is the breath
of their nostrils. My father, too, is a war-chief of the Ngapuhi, and
fought with them in the old wars. But if you had ever seen Maoris in or
after a battle, you would think you were in a land of demons, not men."
 
"A man can only die once. Your tribe, too, is on our side, is it not? I
can't think the hostile natives will stand long before regular troops."
 
"Look at that bush," she said, pointing to a dense thicket of _Koreao_,
where all sorts of horizontal climbers and clingers seemed struggling
for the mastery, and into which the van of the little _cortége_ had
cast themselves, and gliding through, apparently without effort, had in
part disappeared. "How do you think that a company of a regiment would
advance or retreat, with Ngarara" (that amiable savage had just passed
from view) "and a few hundreds of his tribe firing at you from behind
it?"
 
"To tell truth, I think Ngarara would rather like it now, if he could
get the chance; but I am a fair snapshot, and would try for first pull.
However, we won't anticipate disagreeables. How far is Rotomahana? I am
dying to see the terraces."
 
"You pakehas are always gay," she said. "Perhaps it is better to
enjoy while we may. I wish I could do so. But our _Tohunga_ has been
prophesying, and his words have cast a shadow over my mind, which I
vainly try to resist."
 
"But surely your education has taught you to despise superstitious
fears?"
 
"My reason does so; but the senses revolt, strange as it may seem. I
cannot get away from a dread of impending evil. My father, who has
Highland blood in his veins, calls it the 'second sight.'"

댓글 없음: