2016년 10월 26일 수요일

Dan The Newsboy 15

Dan The Newsboy 15



"Will you pull the strap opposite the Fifth Avenue Hotel?" said the
lady, addressing Dan.
 
Dan did so.
 
He got out first, and helped his companion out.
 
"Follow me into the hotel," she said.
 
Dan did so.
 
"What is your name?" asked the lady, as they ascended the stairs.
 
"Dan Mordaunt."
 
"I needn't ask if you have a good mother?" she proceeded.
 
"One of the best," said Dan, promptly.
 
"You look like a well-bred boy, and I infer that your mother is a lady.
Come into the parlor. I wish to speak to you on business."
 
Dan followed her, wondering, and she signed to him to take a seat on the
sofa beside her.
 
"You have already told me that you have no sister," she began.
 
"No, ma'am."
 
"Do you think your mother would enjoy the society of a little girl?"
 
"I think she would."
 
"I have a little girl under my charge--my niece--from whom, for reasons
unnecessary to state, I am obliged to part for a time. Do you think your
mother would be willing to take charge of her? Of course I would make it
worth her while."
 
"I am sure she would like it," said Dan, for he saw at a glance that
this would be a very desirable arrangement for them.
 
"Then you feel authorized to accept the charge in your mother's name?"
 
"I do."
 
"The little girl is five years old. Your mother would be willing to
teach her until such time as she may be old enough to go to school?"
 
"Oh, yes, ma'am."
 
"I think little girls are best off at home until the age of seven or
eight."
 
"There is one objection," said Dan.
 
"What is that?" asked the lady, quickly.
 
"We live in a poor room and a poor neighborhood."
 
"That objection can be obviated. I shall pay you enough to enable you to
take better rooms."
 
Dan heard this with satisfaction.
 
"I may as well be explicit," said the lady. "I propose to pay fifty
dollars a month for my ward's board, including, of course, your mothers
care."
 
"Fifty dollars a month!" repeated Dan, astonished.
 
"If you consider that sufficient."
 
"I am afraid it won't be worth it," said Dan, frankly.
 
"If Althea is well cared for, as I am sure she will be, I shall have no
fear of that. Let me add that I shall allow your mother ten dollars per
month extra for the child's clothing--say sixty dollars in all. For the
present that will probably be enough."
 
"Oh, yes, I should think so," said Dan. "When do you want her to come to
us?"
 
"Now. You will take her back with you."
 
"To-night?" asked Dan, startled.
 
"Yes, to-night. I must leave New York early to-morrow. In fact, I leave
the city by an early train."
 
"She would have to come to our poor lodgings," said Dan, hesitatingly.
 
"One night there won't matter. To-morrow you can secure rooms up town."
 
"Yes, ma'am, I will. Our month expires to-morrow."
 
"Now," said the lady, rising, "since the matter is settled, come up
stairs with me, and I will show you the child."
 
Dan followed the lady up stairs, feeling as if he were in a dream, but a
very pleasant one.
 
 
 
 
CHAPTER XIII.
 
ALTHEA.
 
 
As the lady entered the room a little girl, with an __EXPRESSION__ of joy,
ran from the window from which she had been looking, and took her hand.
 
"I'm so glad you've got home, auntie," she said. "I got tired of being
alone."
 
"I staid away longer than I intended, Althea," said the lady. "I was
afraid you would feel lonely."
 
"I was _very_ lonely. I wanted to go out into the hall and play with a
little girl that lives in the next room, but I thought you wouldn't find
me."
 
"I am glad you did not. I have brought you a playfellow, Althea."
 
This drew the little girl's attention to Dan. Unlike most girls of her
age, she was not bashful.
 
"What is his name?" she asked.
 
"Dan."
 
"What a funny name! Are you going to live with us, Dan?"
 
"You are coming to live with me," said Dan, smiling.
 
"Will you be my brother?"
 
"Yes."
 
"And will you play with me?"
 
"Sometimes."
 
"I think I shall like you. You are nice-looking," said Althea, in a
matter-of-fact tone.
 
Dan blushed. He found the compliment agreeable, though it came from a
little girl.
 
"So are you, Althea," he said.
 
"I don't think I am," said Althea. "I've black hair, and my skin is
dark. You have nice brown hair, and are whiter than I am."
 
"Some like dark people best," suggested Dan.
 
"I don't. I asked auntie to buy me a big cake of soap to wash the brown
off, but it wouldn't come."
 
Dan smiled. He thought the bright, vivacious little face, with the
brilliant dark eyes, pretty, though Althea did not.
 
"You will like to live with Dan, my dear?" said her aunt, inquiringly.
 
"Yes, if you come, too."
 
"But I can't."
 
"Why, not, auntie?"
 
"I have got to go away--on business."
 
Althea looked disappointed.
 
"I don't want you to go away, auntie," she said. "Dan and I can't live
alone."
 
"Dan has a mother, who will be very good to you."
 
"Will she take care of me?" asked Althea, brightening up.
 
"Yes, Althea."
 
"Is she nice?"
 
"Yes."
 
"Then she will be my mother?"
 
"Yes; you can call her mother."
 
"And you will come to see me some time, auntie?"
 
"Yes, my dear."
 
"Then I will go with Dan;" and the little girl placed her hand
confidingly in that of our hero.
 
Dan thought it would be pleasant for him to have a little sister, and he
knew that it would brighten his mother's existence.
 
"Shall we go now, madam?" asked Dan, turning to the lady.
 
"Not just yet. Come here, Dan."
 
Dan followed her to the window. She drew from her pocket a wallet
containing a considerable sum of money.
 
"I will hand you two months' payment in advance," she said, "and
afterward I will remit you monthly, or direct you where to call for
money. Two months at fifty dollars will amount to one hundred, and
twenty more for Althea's dress will make it up to a hundred and twenty.
Have you a pocket-book?"
 
"Yes, ma'am."

댓글 없음: