2016년 9월 25일 일요일

Digging for Gold 19

Digging for Gold 19



“Humph! Why not buy me out, and carry on your old business in
Sacramento?”
 
“Do you want to sell?” asked Jerry Cooper, surprised.
 
“Yes; I want a little change. I might go to the mines myself.”
 
“Can’t you make money blacksmithing?” asked Cooper cautiously.
 
“Yes; that isn’t my reason. I haven’t seen anything of the country yet.
I bought out this shop as soon as I reached Sacramento, and I’ve been at
work steady. I want a change.”
 
“How well does it pay you?”
 
“I get big prices. A dollar for a single shoe, and I have all I can do.
Why, how much money do you think I have made since I took the shop, a
year since?”
 
“I can’t tell.”
 
“I’ve laid up three thousand dollars, besides paying all expenses.”
 
“You don’t say so!” exclaimed the blacksmith, impressed.
 
“Yes; I shan’t make as much money at the mines probably, but it’ll be a
change, and not so hard work.”
 
“Then you want to sell out?”
 
“Yes.”
 
“What will you take?”
 
“A thousand dollars. That buys the shop, too. It’s dirt cheap.”
 
“It may be, but I haven’t the money.”
 
“I will take half cash, and a mortgage for the balance.”
 
“Suppose I bought, is there a house near by where I can live?”
 
“What family have you?”
 
“A wife and son; but I suppose Tom will want to go to the mines.”
 
“There is a cabin across the street with three rooms. It is empty. You
can hire it for fifty dollars a month, likely.”
 
“Fifty dollars a month for a cabin with three rooms!” ejaculated Cooper.
 
“Yes; or you can buy it for five hundred dollars, I expect.”
 
“Seems to me prices are pretty steep in Sacramento.”
 
“So they are; but you can get rich faster than at home, in spite of the
high prices.”
 
“Well, that’s a consideration, certainly. How much time will you give me
to consider your offer?”
 
“Till to-morrow.”
 
“I’ll let you know by that time.”
 
Jerry Cooper walked away in a state of excitement. He felt that he would
rather stay in Sacramento and carry on his own old business, with which
he was thoroughly acquainted, than undertake gold-mining, of which he
knew nothing. He was a man of fifty, and was not so enterprising as he
had been when half the age.
 
“It seems a good chance,” he reflected. “But how will I get the money?”
 
He had five hundred dollars left, perhaps more; but all this would have
to be paid down for the shop, without leaving anything to provide for
his family in the interval before he got to earning an income.
 
“If I only had the money I would take the shop,” he said to himself. “I
wonder if I could borrow any. I might send home for some, but it would
come too late.”
 
He walked slowly back to the hotel and restaurant.
 
In front of it Mrs. Cooper was waiting for him.
 
“I’m glad you’ve come, father,” she said. “I was afraid you would be
gone all day.”
 
“Were you discontented, mother?”
 
“No; it isn’t that; but I’ve had an offer for the wagon and oxen.”
 
“You have?”
 
“Yes; quarter of an hour after you went away a man came in and inquired
of the landlord who owned the team. He was referred to me, and asked me
if I wanted to sell. I told him I didn’t know what your plan might be,
but finally he offered me eight hundred dollars, or a thousand if Dobbin
were thrown in.”
 
“You should have accepted,” exclaimed her husband excitedly.
 
“I didn’t dare to. I didn’t know what you would say. But he’s coming
back again, andthere he is!”
 
Fifteen minutes later the bargain was struck and the money paid, cash
down.
 
“That settles it!” decided the blacksmith. “Mother and I will stay in
Sacramento.”
 
 
 
 
CHAPTER XVIII.
A TRUE FRIEND.
 
 
The next morning, as Grant was enjoying a few minutes’ rest, breakfast
being over, he was surprised by the entrance of Giles Crosmont. It
seemed pleasant to see a familiar face.
 
“I am glad to see you, Mr. Crosmont,” he said warmly. “Will you have
breakfast?”
 
“No; I am staying at the hotel and have already breakfasted. I have come
in to see you.”
 
“I am glad to see you, sir. I was afraid we would not meet again. How
did you know where to find me?”
 
“I met Tom Cooper on the street early this morning.”
 
“Tom has gone to the mines.”
 
“So he told me. That is, he told me he was to start this morning. You
intended to go to the mines, did you not?”
 
“Yes, sir.”
 
“Then why didn’t you go?”
 
“I hadn’t money enough,” answered Grant candidly.
 
“That needn’t have prevented your going.”
 
Grant looked inquiringly at Mr. Crosmont.
 
“I mean that I would have lent you a hundred dollars. That would have
been enough, wouldn’t it?”
 
“It would have been ample. You are very kind, Mr. Crosmont.”
 
“Why shouldn’t I be? I have more money than I know what to do with.”
 
“But I might never have been able to repay you.”
 
“I would have taken the risk of that. Besides, to be frank, I should
have intended the money as a gift, not a loan.”
 
“Thank you, sir,” said Grant gratefully. “I never met such kindness
before.”
 
“Do you wish to give up your situation, and go to the mines at once?”
 
“No, sir. I enjoy feeling that I am so well paid for my labor. You see I
never earned much before; Mr. Tarbox only gave me my board.”
 
“And how much are you paid for your services here?”
 
“Three dollars a day and my board,” answered Grant proudly.
 
“That is indeed high pay for a boy of your age. If you will let me
advise you, don’t let it make you extravagant. Don’t form the habit of
gambling. I notice there are several gambling saloons here.”
 
“No, sir, I won’t. I know nothing about cards.”
 
“You could soon learn.”
 
“Thank you for your advice, Mr. Crosmont.”
 
“I give it because I feel an interest in you, Grant. I can’t explain
why, for I have met a good many young persons in my travels, and never
was drawn to any one as I am drawn to you.”
 
“I am glad to have so good a friend, Mr. Crosmont,” said Grant
earnestly.
 
“And I am glad to have found some one in whom I can feel an interest. I
begin to feel that there is some object in living.”
 
“Are you going to remain in Sacramento, Mr. Crosmont?”
 
“No, I start this afternoon for San Francisco.”
 
Grant’s countenance fell. Just as he had ascertained how true and
reliable a friend Mr. Crosmont was, he was destined to part with him.
 
“Then I shall not see you again,” he said soberly.
 
“I hope you will, Grant,” returned Mr. Crosmont, with a friendly smile.
“Indeed, I mean that you shall. I don’t propose to lose sight of you.
How long do you think you shall remain in your present employment?”
 
“One month, and possibly two. I would like to get a good sum of money
together before I start. I shall need to buy a few things.”
 
“What things?”
 
“Some underclothing, a new pair of shoes, and a new suit. The clothes I
have on were pretty well worn out by the trip across the plains.”

댓글 없음: