2016년 9월 1일 목요일

The Crimson Conquest 53

The Crimson Conquest 53


CHAPTER XXXI*
 
_*Inca and Conquistador*_
 
 
The Inca Manco did not sleep. His attendants dismissed, he found
himself alone with torturing thoughts. Lashed, stung, and seared by the
recollection of a thousand Spanish outrages, of the humiliations during
his imprisonment, his mind seethed with purpose of vengeance, with plans
of action, and impatience for their execution. Most merciless of all
was the thought that beneath his very roof were sheltered two of the
hated aliens, harbored through the demands of a gratitude which he could
not feel. And one of them (the one who had seduced Rava from her faith
in the ancient gods, whom he had seen her mourning with he knew notO,
Inti!what secret cause of grief, and whom he would have gladly given to
death) had imposed upon him the final obligation! The sense of it bit
to his proud soul like the thrust of a javelin. He would have seen this
Viracocha hurled from a precipice as he would a common criminal, but the
debt was there, burdening his heart like a monstrous incubus. He strode
about, clutching his head, now resolved to issue a fell command, now
restrained by the stern injunction of honor. The Viracocha was his
guest; had, moreover, said Mocho, been zealous for storming the
Sachsahuaman; had served Tavantinsuyu in other ways, and professed a
wish to serve still further. With what motive, this allegiance? Ah!
what motive could a Viracocha have but one?the hope of gold! He was
merely more astute than his fellows, and of deeper cunning; but the
incentive was, could be nothing else. Then this debt could be
acquitted!should be acquitted that very hour! The Viracocha should
have his gold and be gone. At once! Before the sun should find him
beneath the roofs of Yucay!
 
Manco hastened to the door. He threw it open, restrained the sentinels
with impatience from their obeisance, and sent one in hot haste for
Mocho. The general was soon in the royal chamber. Manco stood in the
middle of the floor, hot-eyed and scowling.
 
"Fetch the Viracocha!" he cried, impetuously, as Mocho appeared.
"Hastenthe one called CristovalandI will see him alone, Mocho."
 
Mocho hurried away, wondering and disturbed. The Inca saw the door
closed, and became active. On his table was his untouched supper,
served on plates and salvers of massive gold. He seized them, opened an
outer door, flung out their contents, and stacked the utensils in a
glowing heap. In an adjoining room were toilet articles of precious
weight. They were piled beside the table service. From the niches in
the walls he snatched the vases, hurled out the plants and soil, and
bore them, an armful of wealth, to the stack on the table. From a chest
he tossed out a fortune in jewelled armlets, wristlets, and girdles.
From the walls he tore their decorations, bending and crushing them into
shapelessness.
 
He worked eagerly, casting the articles upon the heap with scorn for the
object for which they were being collected, and hating them for their
worth to his enemies. As he deposited the last he heard steps, and
turned to face the unwelcome guest. Cristoval was ushered in by Mocho,
who retired at once, closing the door. The cavalier saluted, observing
the half-suppressed agitation on the Inca’s face. The monarch made
slight acknowledgment, noting quickly that he wore the native costume.
Manco stood beside the treasure, darkly watchful for the Spaniard’s
__EXPRESSION__ at sight of the gold. Cristoval glanced at the pile as he
entered, but gave it no further look, regarding Manco with calm
attentiveness. Unexpectedly the latter found it not easy to begin.
There was a dignity in the bearing of this Viracocha which forbade the
tender of the treasure and abrupt dismissal ready to his tongue a second
before. The silence had become onerous when he said at last:
 
"Viracocha, I have summoned you to say once more that I am in your debt.
Lord Mocho hath told me all he knoweth. I am aware of your service
toto one of my kin. Yesterday you added further to my obligation, and
I desire to discharge it immediately, and if possible, to your
satisfaction."
 
The bitterness in the words and the curl of lip did not escape the
cavalier, who replied, coldly: "Lord Inca, there existeth no obligation
to be discharged. You will pardon my denial that any act of mine hath
imposed a debt upon the Inca Manco."
 
The Inca made no pretence of concealing the disdain with which he
received the answer and waved it aside. Stepping back from the table, he
pointed at the pile of gold and said brusquely, "Take it!"
 
But the execrable lighting of the Spaniard’s face for which he looked,
and had seen so often on those of Pizarro and his companions, was
absent. Cristoval ignored the treasure, but the color flashed into his
face in resentment of Manco’s tone and manner. "Your gold hath no worth
to me, my Lord Inca," he said, with slow emphasis. "I ask no favor but
your authority to pass, to-night, the guards about the palace."
 
"Do you reject it?" demanded Manco, with a frown.
 
"I beg my Lord Inca’s gracious leave to decline it."
 
"It is not enough!" exclaimed Manco, with contempt. "Then I will
increase it."
 
"I fear my lord doth not get my meaning," replied Cristoval, with an
even voice that would have cautioned one acquainted with its
significance. "I repeat, the gold is of no use to me."
 
Manco’s frown darkened. "Then what will you, Viracocha?" he cried,
impatiently. "Name it! It shall be yours. If this gold is not enough,
I will load your beast with all he can bear away. But let me acquit
this debt before the sun riseth upon it again."
 
The scorn was now Cristoval’s. It burned in his steady eyes as he
replied quietly: "I fear, my lord, that you will compel me to speak
plainly, and I would not. If I have been of service, I beg you will
believe that I should feel it depreciated by the acceptance of reward.
It should be unnecessary for me to say more to a soldier, my Lord Inca."
 
Manco scarcely heeded his words. In his impatience to be done their
sense was quite lost. His experience with the sordid and greedy
Spaniards made it impossible for him to believe this one less so. He
rejoined hotly: "You saved my life, Viracocha! Why?"
 
Cristoval answered with patience. "I was unaware that it was you, my
lord. It calleth not even for your thanks."
 
Manco flushed, but went on. "You were about to take part in an
undertaking to release me from prison. Again, why? Lord Mocho hath
said that you would offer your sword to Tavantinsuyu. Why, Viracocha?
Is it without hope of reward, all this? Are you of so different fibre
from the plunderers of Cuzco?" He turned away with a gesture of
contemptuous disbelief.
 
Cristoval eyed him in silence, struggling to restrain his anger at the
imputation of venality. When he spoke the Inca faced him again, and met
a look grown intense.
 
"Lord Inca Manco," said the cavalier, "you have questioned my motives.
It is not my wont to defend themwith words; nor will I defend them now
further than to say that it was my purpose to offer my sword without
thought of reward, and less to aid you and your cause, just though it
is, than to rescue one whom you hold dearthe Ñusta Rava."
 
At the name the Inca’s face grew livid. "Ah!" he exclaimed, his voice
lowered and husky with passion. "One whom I hold dear! One whom I held
dear above all on earth until she came to me defiled by your accursed
love, broken-hearted, wearing the symbol of your damnable belief!"
 
His rage was not more quick than that of Cristoval, but the latter’s
years gave him better self-control. The cavalier, pausing to hold
himself, replied: "Defiled, my Lord Inca! ’T is a black and shameful
word, applied to the Ñusta Rava, and by the great Heaven, the man with
whom I could fight on equal footing should not leave this room alive
with the word unswallowed!"
 
The Inca snatched the _llautu_ from his head and cast it aside. He went
out, returning instantly with a pair of the short native swords. He
thrust the hilts toward the cavalier.
 
"Choose!" he cried, hoarsely.
 
Cristoval’s eyes blazed, and he stretched out his hand to seize the
weapon. Arrested the motion, and drawing back, stood surveying the
maddened youth in silence. Fight this prince, already laden with
unnumbered cares, the victim of inconceivable wrongs, and on the eve of
leading a life-and-death struggle to save his people? Turn a sword upon
the brother of Rava?
 
"Choose!" commanded Manco, passionately. "Doth the Viracocha hesitate?"
 
Cristoval grasped a sword, and as the Inca stepped back to guard, threw
it upon the table. "My lord," he said, "I have no mind to fight."
 
Manco’s surprise gave way to quick access of anger. "What mean you,
Viracocha?" he demanded, hotly. "Is this some new form of insult?"
 
"God forbid!" said Cristoval.
 
For a moment the monarch glared at him, speechless with rage and
uncertainty. "Do I look upon a coward?" he asked, slowly, the scorn
deepening in his eyes.
 
Cristoval knew that the stigma must follow his refusal, yet he started
and reddened at the word. "A coward! No, my Lord Inca, not that!" he
replied, meeting steadily the look of contempt and enmity. "Not a
coward; and I believe you cannot think it." During a fraction of a
second he felt the penetrating gaze which might have been Rava’s. It
passed, and Manco’s brow darkened again. He was about to speak, but
Cristoval raised his hand. "Lord Inca Manco," he said, gravely, "we
have no quarrel. I divined but now the nature of what you hold as
grievance. I call upon Heaven to witness that the Ñusta Rava hath had
from me naught but honor in mine every thought."
 
"Honor!" repeated Manco, with renewed scorn. "Honor in a Viracocha?"
 
"Nay, my lord! You have heard me say that I will not fight," returned
the cavalier. Manco colored under the reproof, and Cristoval went on,
"There is honor even among Viracochas, and something more than lust of
gold, God knoweth!" He paused again. "You spoke of the symbol the
Ñusta Rava wore. I tell you, Prince, that if you come not to the faith,
it betokeneth you will go upon your bended knees on the hot pavement of
hell and give up thanks that your sister hath been spared your fate!"
Then, with a gesture: "But I say once more, Lord Inca, we have no
quarrel. We have a common enemy."
 
Again Manco’s searching look, but he was silent, studying the man before
him. Here, assuredly, was a Viracocha who differed from his kind. He
had neither swaggered nor sneered. He spoke with a dignity and candor
that forced respect. In his bearing was a calm pride and consciousness
of strength which had baffled the unconcealed hate and bitterness with
which he had been received. The frank honesty of his eyes had lent
support to his words. Manco’s youth had not given him a knowledge of
men, and least of all could he fathom a Spaniard; but his own ingenuous
temperament, shamefully as it had been abused, made him quick in an
intuition that he had misjudged. But this was in his thoughts as an
under-current. Before him still was a Viracocha. He tossed his sword
beside its fellow, and demanded:
 
"Why are you here? Of what concern to you is the rescue of the Ñusta
Rava?"
 
Candidly Cristoval faced the rights of a brother. "Of deep concern, my
lord. So deep that I overlook the manner of your questions and answer
them," he replied, bluntly. "So deep that I have proffered my service,
my life, if need be, to Tavantinsuyu in her behalf."

댓글 없음: