2016년 10월 26일 수요일

Dan The Newsboy 25

Dan The Newsboy 25


Dan observed that the detective followed him at a little distance, and
it gave him a feeling of security. Some one might have seen the large
sum of money paid him, and instances had been known where boys in such
circumstances had suddenly been set upon in the open street at midday
and robbed. He felt that he had a friend near at hand who would
interfere in such a case.
 
"What time is it, boy?" asked an ill-looking man, suddenly accosting
him.
 
"Half-past one."
 
"Look at your watch."
 
"I don't carry one," said Dan, eying the questioner suspiciously.
 
"Nor I. I have been very unfortunate. Can't you give me a quarter to buy
me some dinner?"
 
"Ask some one else; I'm in a hurry," said Dan, coldly.
 
The man went away muttering.
 
"I'm not as green as you take me for," said Dan to himself.
 
He thought his danger was over, but he was mistaken.
 
Suddenly a large man, with red hair and beard, emerging from Dan knew
not where, laid his hand on his shoulder.
 
Dan turned in surprise.
 
"Boy," said he, in a fierce undertone, "give me that money you have in
your coat-pocket, or I will brain you."
 
"You forget we are in the public street," said Dan.
 
"No, I don't."
 
"You would be arrested."
 
"And you would be--stunned, perhaps killed!" hissed the man. "Look here,
boy, I am a desperate man. I know how much money you have with you. Give
me half, and go."
 
Dan looked out of the corner of his eye, to see the detective close at
hand. This gave him courage, for he recognized that the villain was only
speaking the truth, and he did not wish to run any unnecessary risk. He
gave a nod, which brought the detective nearer, and then slipped to one
side, calling:
 
"Stop thief!"
 
The ruffian made a dash for him, his face distorted with rage, but his
arm was grasped as by an iron vise.
 
"Not so fast, Jack Benton!" exclaimed the detective, and he signaled to
a policeman. "You are up to your old tricks again, as I expected."
 
"Who are you?" demanded Jack, angrily.
 
"A detective."
 
"The devil!" ejaculated the foiled burglar. "I have taken nothing," he
added, sullenly.
 
"That isn't your fault. I heard you threatening the boy, unless he gave
up the money in his possession. Take him away, officer. I will appear
against him."
 
"Thank you, sir," said Dan, gratefully.
 
"All right. Go on as quickly as possible. I will keep you in view."
 
All this took a little time.
 
Talbot, whose conscience was uneasy, and with good cause, awaited Dan's
arrival very anxiously.
 
"What made you so long?" he asked.
 
"A man tried to rob me."
 
"Did he succeed?" asked Talbot, quickly.
 
"No; he was recognized by a policeman, who arrested him as he was on the
point of attacking me."
 
Talbot asked no further questions, considerably to Dan's relief, for he
did not wish to mention the detective if it could be avoided.
 
The book-keeper contented himself with saying, in a preoccupied tone, as
he received the money:
 
"You can't be too careful when you have much money about you. I am
almost sorry I sent for this money," he proceeded. "I don't think I
shall need to use it to-day."
 
"Shall I take it back to the bank, sir?" asked Dan.
 
"No; I shall put it in the safe over night. I don't care to risk you or
the money again to-day."
 
"That's a blind," thought Dan. "He won't put it in the safe."
 
 
 
 
CHAPTER XXII.
 
TALBOT'S SCHEME FAILS.
 
 
Talbot went into the office where he was alone. But the partition walls
were of glass, and Dan managed to put himself in a position where he
could see all that passed within.
 
The book-keeper opened the package of bills, and divided them into two
parcels. One he replaced in the original paper and labeled it "$12,000."
 
The other he put into another paper, and put into his own pocket. Dan
saw it all, but could not distinguish the denominations of the bills
assigned to the different packages. He had no doubt, however, that the
smaller bills were placed in the package intended to be deposited in the
safe, so that, though of apparently equal value, it really contained
only about one-tenth of the money drawn from the bank.
 
Talbot was not conscious of observation. Indeed, he was not observed,
except by Dan, whose business it was to watch him.
 
The division being made, he opened the safe and placed the package
therein.
 
"Not quite smart enough, Mr. Talbot," thought Dan. "You will need more
watching."
 
He was anxious to communicate his discovery to the detective outside,
but for some time had no opportunity.
 
About an hour later he was sent out on an errand. He looked about him in
a guarded manner till he attracted the attention of the outside
detective. The latter, in answer to a slight nod, approached him
carelessly.
 
"Well," he asked, "have you any news?"
 
"Yes," answered Dan. "Mr. Talbot has divided the money into two
packages, and one of them he has put into his own pocket."
 
"What has he done with the other?"
 
"Put it into the safe."
 
"As I expected. He means to appropriate the greater part to his own
use."
 
"Is there anything more for me to do?" asked Dan.
 
"I don't know. Keep your eyes open. Does the book-keeper suspect that he
is watched?"
 
"I am sure that he doesn't."
 
"That is well."
 
"I am afraid he will get away with the money," said Dan, anxiously.
 
"I am not. Do you know whether there's any woman in the case?"
 
"He visits a young lady on Lexington avenue."
 
"Do you know the number?"
 
"No."
 
"That is important. It is probably on her account that he wishes to
become suddenly rich."
 
This supposition was a correct one, as we know. It did not, however,
argue unusual shrewdness on the part of the detective, since no motive
is more common in such cases.
 
Dan returned to the office promptly, and nothing of importance occurred
during the remainder of the day.
 
When Mr. Talbot was preparing to leave, he called in the janitor.
 
"You may lock the safe," he said.
 
"Very well, sir."
 
"By the way, you may use the word 'Hartford' for the combination."
 
"Very well, sir."
 
"Be particularly careful, as the safe contains a package of
money--twelve thousand dollars."
 
"Wouldn't it have been better to deposit it in the bank, Mr. Talbot?"
 
"Yes, but it was not till the bank closed that I decided not to use it
to-day. However, it is secure in the safe," he added, carelessly.
 
"I have no doubt of that, Mr. Talbot."
 
Mr. Talbot put on his coat and departed.

댓글 없음: