2016년 9월 25일 일요일

Digging for Gold 16

Digging for Gold 16


“Shut the door, quick,” he said, “or I may be tempted to take what does
not belong to me.”
 
“My dear boy,” said the stranger, and over his rugged features came a
smile that lighted them up wonderfully; “it is yours. Help yourself.”
 
Grant took a cracker and ate it quickly. Then he took a knife that lay
beside the meat and cut off a slice, which he likewise disposed of. Then
he remembered himself.
 
“I am selfish,” he said. “I am satisfying my appetite, while my poor
friends are suffering from hunger.”
 
“Bring them with you. They shall breakfast with me. Or stay. I will go
with you and invite them myself.”
 
Grant left the cabin with his new friend. As he walked by his side he
surveyed him with curiosity and interest. He was a tall mansix feet
two, at the least, and he walked with a long stride, which he moderated
when he found Grant had trouble to keep up with him. He was dressed in a
gray mixed suit, and on his head he wore a soft hat. Despite his
appearance and surroundings, Grant was led to think that he had passed a
part of his life at least in a city.
 
“I see a question in your face,” said the unknown. “You wonder how it
happens that I am living alone in this wilderness. Is it not so?”
 
“Yes, sir; I could not help wondering.”
 
“I have been here but a month. I am one of an overland party that passed
here four weeks since. In wandering about I found this cabin, and I
asked myself how it would seem to live here alonepractically out of the
world. I always liked to try experiments, and notified the party of my
intention. Indeed, I did not care to remain with them, for they were not
at all congenial. They thought me crazy; but I insisted, and remained
here with a sufficient supply of provisions to last me three months.”
 
“And how have you enjoyed yourself, sir?”
 
“Well, I can’t say I have enjoyed myself; but I have had plenty of time
to meditate. There have been disappointments in my life,” he added
gravely, “that have embittered my existence and led to a life of
solitude.”
 
“Do you expect to remain the entire three months?” asked Grant.
 
“If I had been asked that question this morning I should have
unhesitatingly answered in the affirmative. NowI don’t know why it
isperhaps it is the unexpected sight of a fellow beingI begin to think
that I should enjoy returning to human companionship. You cannot
understand, till you have been wholly alone for a month, how pleasant it
seems to exchange speech with another.”
 
This remark gave Grant a hint.
 
“Why not join our party?” he said. “There are but four of us. You would
make the fifth. We are going to the mines, if we ever get through this
wilderness.”
 
“Tell me something of your companions.”
 
“Mr. Cooper is a blacksmith. He has lived all his life in Iowa, and is a
good man. His wife is with him, and his son Tom, who is a fine, manly
young fellow of twenty-one or two.”
 
“Very well. Now I have been introduced to _them_, tell me about
yourself. Are they relatives of yours?”
 
“No, they are not related to me.”
 
“But you have relatives, have you not?”
 
“I have a mother.”
 
“I see, and you wish to make money for her. Is she solely dependent on
you?”
 
“No; she is married again. I have a step-father.”
 
“Whom you do not like?”
 
“What makes you think so?”
 
“I read it in your face.”
 
“No, I don’t like Mr. Tarbox. He is a mean, penurious farmer, a good
deal older than mother. She married him for a home, but she made a
mistake. She is merely a house-keeper without wages. She would be better
off by herself, with me to work for her.”
 
“Has she any money at all?”
 
“About two hundred dollars. Mr. Tarbox has tried to get possession of
it, but without success.”
 
“You look well dressed.”
 
“I bought and paid for the suit myself. I saved a railroad train from
destruction, and the passengers made up a collection of over a hundred
and fifty dollars for me. I bought this suit, and with the balance of
the money I am paying for my trip to California.”
 
By this time they had come in sight of the camp. Tom had already
returned, evidently without luck, and was only waiting for Grant to
appear to sacrifice poor old Dobbin on the altar of hunger.
 
 
 
 
CHAPTER XIV.
THE NEW ACQUAINTANCE.
 
 
When Grant appeared with the stranger, Tom and his father looked amazed.
Where could he have picked up an acquaintance in this wilderness was
their thought.
 
“Tom,” said Grant quickly, “you needn’t kill Dobbin.”
 
“Are you ready to take his place?” asked Tom. “Food we must have.”
 
“My friends,” interposed the stranger, “I come with your young companion
to invite you to breakfast at my cabin. Perhaps etiquette requires that
I should tell you who I am. Permit me to introduce myself as Giles
Crosmont, an Englishman by birth and a citizen of the world.”
 
“I’m Tom Cooper,” responded Tom briefly; “and there are my father and
mother. As for your invitation, we’ll accept it thankfully. Do you keep
a hotel hereabout?”
 
“Well, not exactly,” smiled Crosmont; “but I have a cabin a short
distance away, and am able to offer you some refreshment. Let me suggest
that you follow me at once. Grant and I will lead the way.”
 
“So you succeeded better than I, Grant?” remarked Tom.
 
“Yes; I found Mr. Crosmont’s cabin, and was wondering if it were
occupied, when he entered and made me welcome.”
 
“Have you lived here long, Mr. Crosmont?” asked Tom curiously.
 
“Four weeks only.”
 
“Alone?”
 
“Yes; I told Grant that it was a whim of mine to try the experiment of
living in utter solitude.”
 
“How do you like it, as far as you’ve got?”
 
Giles Crosmont laughed. He was amused by the frank curiosity of his
young acquaintance.
 
“I’ve got as far as I care to go in this particular direction. After
breakfast I may have a proposal to make to you.”
 
They reached the cabin, and Crosmont hospitably produced his stock of
provisions, to which his visitors did ample justice.
 
“Now for my proposal,” said Crosmont. “I should like to join your
party.”
 
“You are welcome, sir; but, as Grant has probably told you, we are all
out of provisions.”
 
“I will turn over to you the balance of mine, and I have more concealed
in the woods, at a little distance.”
 
“Good!” said Tom, in a tone of satisfaction. “We will buy them of you.”
 
“No, you won’t. I freely contribute them as my share of the common
expense. I can help you in another way also. I am a good shot, and I
hope to add a deer or an antelope to your stock at frequent intervals.”
 
“We shall be glad to have you join us,” said Mrs. Cooper hospitably.
“Our meeting with you is quite providential.”
 
Giles Crosmont took off his hat and bowed respectfully to Mrs. Cooper.
It was evident that he was a gentleman by birth and training.
 
“It was what I was waiting for,” he said; “an invitation from the lady.
I am afraid I must ask you to help convey the provisions to the camp.”
 
“Grant and I will undertake that,” said Tom, with alacrity.
 
“And I will help you,” added the blacksmith. “We are in luck to find
food on such an easy condition.”
 
In half an hour the providential supply was stowed in the wagon, and the
party, augmented to five, started on its way.
 
Generally Tom and Grant had walked together, but the stranger showed
such a preference for Grant’s society that Tom fell back and joined his
father, leaving his friend and their new acquaintance to journey
together.
 
“So you are going to California to dig for gold, Grant?” said Crosmont,
as he moderated his pace to adapt himself to Grant’s shorter steps.
 
“Yes, sir,” answered Grant enthusiastically. “I wish I were there now.”
 
“Suppose now that you should be fortunate, and secure, say, ten thousand dollars; you would be happy?” 

댓글 없음: