2016년 9월 25일 일요일

Digging for Gold 17

Digging for Gold 17


“Oh, yes.”
 
“To a boy like you, the possession of money seems sure to bring
happiness.”
 
“In my case, yes. Remember, Mr. Crosmont, I have a mother to care for. I
should like to take her from Mr. Tarbox’s house, where she is a slave,
and give her a nice home of her own. That wouldn’t take more than two
thousand dollars, and with the balance I could go into business.”
 
“Yes, you have your mother to live for,” said Crosmont; and he dropped
into a thoughtful mood.
 
“Will you go to the mines also?” asked Grant, less from curiosity than
in order to break the silence.
 
“Noyes; I will go with you for a time; but the mines have no attraction
for me.”
 
“Don’t you care for gold?”
 
“I have enough already.”
 
Then, seeing that Grant’s curiosity was excited, he added: “I don’t mind
telling you, Grant, that I am a rich man, rich beyond my wants, and I
have no temptation to increase my wealth.”
 
Grant regarded his companion with the respect that a boy of his age is
apt to feel for a rich manso rich that he doesn’t care to increase his
wealth.
 
“I wonder how it would seem to be rich,” he said thoughtfully.
 
“Perhaps you will have a chance to experience the feeling some time.”
 
“I hope so.”
 
“You are young, strong, self-reliant. In your favored country this will
help you to become rich. But after you have acquired wealth, I doubt if
you will find it makes you as happy as you expect.”
 
“But,” said Grant, “if I am rich I can help others. That will make me
happy.”
 
“True!” returned the other, as if it were a new idea. “This ought to
have occurred to me before. I will remember it.”
 
“Were you always rich, sir?”
 
“Yes. I was born to wealth. My father was a wealthy gentleman living in
Devonshire, England. From my earliest years I was accustomed to all that
wealth could buy. I never knew what poverty meant.”
 
“I should think you would wish to live in England.”
 
“If I lived there it would be alone.”
 
“Then you have no family!”
 
Giles Crosmont was silent, and a pained __EXPRESSION__ showed itself on his
face.
 
“Excuse me if I have shown too much curiosity,” said Grant
apologetically.
 
“There is no need to apologize, yet your question called up painful
memories. I had a sonI don’t know if he is still alivewho must now be
twenty-five years old. He disappointed me. I sent him to college, and he
plunged into extravagance. I paid his debts twice. The last time, in my
anger, I declined to do so. He forged a check on me for a large sum,
paid his debts with part of the proceeds, and then disappeared.”
 
“How long ago was that?” inquired Grant, in a sympathetic tone.
 
“Four years. For a year I remained at my home, hoping to hear something
from him, but no tidings came. Then I began to travel, and am still
travelling. Sometime I may meet him, and if I do——
 
“You will forgive him?”
 
“I will try to reclaim him.”
 
“I wish my father were living.”
 
“You have your mother.”
 
“Yes, I wish I could see her at this moment.”
 
“I think you are a good boy. I wish my boy had been like you.”
 
“Thank you, Mr. Crosmont. I will try to deserve your compliment.”
 
“Grant and the Englishman are getting pretty thick,” said Tom to his
mother.
 
“Yes, Tom. He seems to have taken a fancy to the boy.”
 
“No wonder. Grant is a good fellow. I wonder if this Mr. Crosmont is
rich?” For Grant had respected the confidence of his new acquaintance
and had not communicated what he had learned to his companions.
 
“I hope he is. Then he might do something for Grant, and the boy
deserves it.”
 
“He’ll never get much from old Tarbox, I’ll be bound.”
 
Day by day they drew nearer to the land of gold. The stock of provisions
held out wonderfully, for Mr. Crosmont made good his promise, and more
than one deer and antelope fell before his unerring aim, and eked out
the supply. At length, after some weeks, they crossed the mountains and
looked upon the promised land. From this point on there were
settlements, and there was no fear of starvation.
 
 
 
 
CHAPTER XV.
ARRIVAL AT SACRAMENTO.
 
 
At length the little party reached Sacramento. This was already a place
of some importance, as it was in the neighborhood of the mining region,
and it was here that mining parties obtained their outfits and came at
intervals to bring their gold dust and secure supplies. Situated, as it
was, on the Sacramento River, with communication with San Francisco by
water, it was, besides, the starting-point of numberless lines of stages
bound for the different mines. For a town of its size the activity
seemed almost incredible. The party went to a hotel, where, for very
indifferent accommodations, they were charged five dollars a day. To the
blacksmith, accustomed to village prices, this seemed exorbitant.
 
“We needn’t engage board till night,“ suggested Tom. “We’ll take our
meals at a restaurant till then.”
 
They were all hungry, and this suggestion seemed a good one. Looking
about, Tom found a small, one-story building, on the front of which was
this sign:
 
METROPOLITAN HOTEL AND RESTAURANT.
 
“What do you ask for breakfast?” inquired Tom, entering.
 
“A dollar a head!”
 
“A dollar!” repeated Mrs. Cooper, in dismay.
 
“Tom,” said Mr. Cooper, “I haven’t had a civilized meal or sat down at a
table for months. No matter what it costs, I’m going to have breakfast
now.”
 
“All right, father! I guess I can do my share of eating.”
 
Grant listened with dismay to the announcement of prices. Of all the
money he had brought with him he had but ten dollars left. How long
would it last?
 
“Grant, are you going to join us?” asked Tom.
 
“I don’t know as I can afford it,” answered Grant anxiously.
 
“We can’t any of us afford it,” returned Mr. Cooper. “Sit down, boy, and
we’ll borrow trouble afterward.”
 
“Now,” said Mr. Cooper, as he rose from the table, “I’ll take a turn
round the town and see what information I can gain. I’ll turn in the
wagon into the yard alongside. Mrs. Cooper, will you keep your eye on it
while the rest of us go on a tour of inspection? I don’t think the oxen
will be likely to run away,” he added jocosely.
 
“All right, father.”
 
Mr. Cooper, Tom, and Grant set out in different directions.
 
Grant started on his walk feeling sober, if not depressed. Here he was,
two thousand miles from his old home, with only nine dollars in his
pocket, and the prices for living extortionate. How was he to get to the
mines? Before he could get ready to leave Sacramento his money would be
exhausted. Since he left home, four months before, Grant hadn’t felt so
perplexed and disturbed.
 
He had walked only five minutes, when he found himself in front of the
Sacramento Hotel, the largest in the place.
 
Half a dozen stages were in the street outside, each drawn by four
horses, and each bearing the name of some mining camp to which it
proposed to carry passengers. The drivers were calling lustily for
recruits. This was what Grant heard“All aboard for Hangtown! Only four
seats left! Who’s going to Gold Gulch? Now’s your chance! Get you
through in six hours. Start in fifteen minutes for Frost’s Bar! Richest
diggings, within fifty miles!”
 
“I wonder what they charge,” thought Grant. “I’ll ask.” He went up to
the stage bound for Weaver Creek, and inquired the fare.
 
“Carry you through for ten dollars,” was the reply. “Jump aboard. We’ll
start in half an hour.”
 
“No,” answered Grant slowly. “I shan’t be ready by that time. Besides, I
have only nine dollars.”
 
“I’ll take you to Frost’s Bar for that,” said the driver of the Frost’s
Bar stage.
 
“I suppose you will,” interposed the Weaver Creek driver with a sneer.
“Your regular charge is only seven dollars. You want to cheat the boy
out of two dollars.”
 
This led to an altercation between the rival drivers, in which some
blows were exchanged, but neither was hurt. Before they had finished
Grant had passed on. He knew that, with his limited capital, he could
not afford to go to either place and arrive at the mines without a penny.

댓글 없음: