2016년 9월 25일 일요일

Digging for Gold 39

Digging for Gold 39


“Thank you. I would like to hear it.”
 
Mrs. Tarbox took from her pocket a letter which she had perused half a
dozen times already, and read as follows:
 
“Well, mother, I have at last reached California. It is a long and
tiresome journey across the plains. I hope, when I go back, I shall be
able to go by steamer to New York. However, I made some pleasant friends
on the way, and I have good courage, though my money is nearly out.”
 
“Humph!” interrupted Seth Tarbox; “just as I expected.”
 
“Grant didn’t take a fortune with him,” said his mother. “How could you
expect he would have much money left when he reached the end of his
journey?”
 
“I didn’t, Mrs. T. That is what I said. Read on.”
 
“I haven’t decided yet what I will do first. I expect sometime to go to
the gold fields, but I may get a position first and earn some money to
buy my outfit. I am well and strong, and I am sure I can make a living
some way.”
 
“Mark my words,” said Sophia Bartlett, “the time will come when your son
will wish he had never left the farm.”
 
“I don’t feel sure of that,” said Mrs. Tarbox. “Grant is a manly boy,
and he can work in California just as well as here, and will be paid
better than here.”
 
“Do you mean to say that I didn’t pay the boy enough for his work, Mrs.
T.?”
 
“I will express no opinion on that subject. California is a new country,
where labor is naturally more highly compensated than here.”
 
“I am glad I am not in Grant’s place,” said Rodney.
 
“So am I,” added his mother; “but you always had good judgment, Rodney.”
 
“I hope so. When I am a man I may go to California, just to see the
country, but I prefer to stay at home now.”
 
“He has an old head on young shoulders,” said his mother complacently.
 
“It’s my birthday to-morrow, grandpa,” observed Rodney significantly.
 
“Is it?” asked Seth Tarbox. “How old are you?”
 
“Sixteen.”
 
“Well, well, I didn’t know you were getting on so fast. There’s a
quarter for a birthday present.”
 
Rodney accepted the coin, but turned up his nose at his grandfather’s
niggardliness, and expressed himself freely on the subject to his mother
on the way home.
 
“What a mean old skinflint grandfather is!” he exclaimed. “Twenty-five
cents, and he a rich man!”
 
“Hush, Rodney, don’t let any one hear you speak in that way!”
 
“But he is mean! you can’t deny it!”
 
“He is close,” said Mrs. Bartlett cautiously. “Most farmers are, I
believe; but just wait patiently, and the money which he has saved by
his economy will come to us. You must seem grateful, or he may take a
notion to leave his property to Mrs. Tarbox and Grant.”
 
“Oh, I’ll be careful, ma, never fear! I hope Grant Colburn won’t get a
cent.”
 
“I don’t think he will. In fact, I feel sure of it.”
 
“Do you think Mrs. Tarbox will get much?”
 
“Not if I can prevent it!” said his mother, closing her lips firmly.
 
“I expect she only married the old man for his money.”
 
“I suppose she wanted a home for herself and Grant.”
 
“Will the law give her anything?”
 
“Yes; but I’ve thought of a way to get over that.”
 
“What is it, ma?”
 
“If I can induce your grandfather to make a deed of gift to me of his
property before he dies, on condition of my supporting him the rest of
his life, that will evade the law.”
 
“That will be a good idea. I shouldn’t wonder if Grant and his mother
had to go to the poorhouse at last. He’d come down off his high horse
then.”
 
“I hope not. Mrs. Tarbox can get employment as a housekeeper probably,
and Grant ought to be able to support himself. Of course they must look
out for themselves.”
 
Not long afterward, unfortunately for Mrs. Tarbox, her husband lost
fifty dollars. He had sold a horse to a man in a neighboring town for an
excessive price, and fifty dollars remained due on the purchase money.
This the purchaser refused to pay, and as his property was all in his
wife’s name, Seth Tarbox was unable to collect it, although, as may be
imagined, he moved heaven and earth to accomplish it.
 
This made him feel very poor, and he determined to make it up by
retrenchment in his personal expenses. Had the economy fallen upon
himself he might have been justified, but as it occurred to him that by
dismissing the woman who helped his wife on washing day he could save
seventy-five cents a week, he was mean enough to make this proposal.
 
Mrs. Tarbox could hardly believe him in earnest, for she saw only too
clearly at what he was aiming.
 
 
 
 
CHAPTER XXXVII.
MRS. BARTLETT’S LITTLE SCHEME.
 
 
“Do you mean that I am to get along without Nancy, Mr. Tarbox?” Mrs.
Tarbox said quickly.
 
“I’ve met with losses, Mrs. T.,” replied Seth, “and I don’t feel as if I
could afford to pay out seventy-five cents every Monday for work that
might as well be done in the family.”
 
“Does that mean that you expect me to do it, Mr. Tarbox?”
 
“Ahem!” said Tarbox, a little embarrassed. “It’s your duty to help bear
my burden.”
 
“I think I do that. I am sure that I work beyond my strength.”
 
“We all have to work. Don’t I work in the fields, Mrs. Tarbox?”
 
“You choose to do it. You are able to lead an easier life.”
 
“Who says I am?”
 
“Everybody in the village knows that you are well to do, and have a
large sum in the savings-bank.”
 
Seth Tarbox frowned.
 
“If I have got a little money ahead,” he said, “I don’t mean to squander
it in extravagant living.”
 
“I don’t think you are in any danger of it,” remarked Mrs. Tarbox dryly.
 
Mr. Tarbox left the house, and made it in his way to call at the home of
Nancy Stokes and give her notice that her services would not be needed
on the coming Monday.
 
Nancy opened her eyes in surprise.
 
“Why, Mr. Tarbox,” she said, “I’ve been goin’ to your house for ten
years. Have you got any other woman in my place?”
 
“No, Miss Stokes; but I’ve been thinkin’ that I can’t afford to pay
seventy-five cents a week for washin’.”
 
“Why, you haven’t failed, have you, Mr. Tarbox?”
 
“No; but I’ve met with losses,” answered Seth vaguely.
 
“They must be big losses if you can’t afford the little money you’ve
paid me.”
 
“You may call it little, Nancy, but seventy-five cents a week amounts in
a year to thirty-nine dollars.”
 
“It’ll take more‘n one thirty-nine dollars to break you, Mr. Tarbox.”
 
“You seem to know a good deal about my affairs, Nancy. I’m the best
judge of that.”
 
“Who’s goin’ to do the washin’, then?”
 
“Mrs. Tarbox will do it.”
 
“The whole of it?”
 
“Yes; my first wife used to do it.”
 
“And died of broken health at forty.”
 
Seth Tarbox did not relish the plain speaking of Miss Stokes, and
turning on his heel, walked away.
 
Nancy made it a point to call at the farm during the day.
 
“I hear, Mrs. Tarbox,” she said, “that you are going to do all the
washing hereafter.”
 
“Who told you?” asked Mrs. Tarbox quickly.
 
“Mr. Tarbox.”
 
“He is mistaken,” said Mrs. Tarbox calmly. “I shall do nothing of the
kind.”
 
“He expects it.”
 
“I can’t help that.”
 
“Good for you, Mrs. Tarbox. Don’t let him impose upon you. He’s too mean
to live.”
 
The next Monday Seth Tarbox went out to his farm work in a complacent
frame of mind. His wife had said nothing of the washing, and he
concluded that when she found Nancy absent, she would turn to and do the
whole herself. But when he returned to dinner he looked in vain for the
clothes line.
 
“You’re late about your washin’, Mrs. T.,” he said, as he entered the kitchen.

댓글 없음: