2016년 9월 27일 화요일

The Jesuit Relations and Allied Documents 26

The Jesuit Relations and Allied Documents 26



 [302] The Apostate, continuing to blaspheme here, asked me, in the
presence of his brothers, in order to turn them against God, why
I prayed to him who neither saw nor heard anything. I rebuked him
very sharply and imposed silence upon him.
 
Le sixiesme iour de Mars nous changeasmes de demeure, le Sorcier, le
Renegat, & deux ieunes chasseurs tirerent deuant nous droit aux riues
du grand fleuue, l'occasion de cette separation fut que mon hoste braue
chasseur ayant descouuert quatre Orignaux, & quantité de cabanes de
Castors, ne pouuant luy seul en mesme temps chasser en tant d'endroits
fort separez, le Sorcier mena ces ieunes chasseurs pour courre les
Orignaux, & luy demeura pour les Castors: cette separation me fit du
bien & du mal. Du bien, pource que ie fus deliuré du Sorcier, ie n'ay
point de paroles pour declarer l'importunité de ce meschant homme. Du
mal, pource que mon hoste ne prenant point d'Orignaux nous ne mangions
que du boucan qui m'estoit fort contraire, que s'il prenoit des Castors
on en faisoit seicherie, [303] excepté des petits que nous mangions,
les plus beaux & les meilleurs estoient reseruez pour les festins
qu'ils deuoient faire au Printemps, au lieu où ils s'estoient donnez le
rendez-vous.
 
On the sixth day of March, we shifted our quarters. The Sorcerer,
the Renegade, and two young hunters, directed their steps before
us straight to the banks of the great river. The cause of this
separation was that my host, a good hunter, had discovered four
Moose, and a number of Beaver lodges; and not being able alone to
hunt in places so widely separated, the Sorcerer took these young
hunters to chase the Moose, and he remained for the Beavers. This
separation was fraught with both good and evil for me. With good,
because I was freed from the Sorcerer; I have no words to describe
the pertinacity of this wicked man. With evil, because my host did
not capture any Moose, and we had nothing to eat but smoked meat,
which was very distasteful to me; for, if he captured any Beavers,
they were smoked, [303] except the little ones, which we ate; the
finest and best ones were reserved for the feasts they were to give
in the Spring, at the place where they had appointed a rendezvous.
 
Le treiziesme du mesme mois nous fismes nostre dix-huictiesme demeure
proche d'vn fleuue dont les eaux me sembloient sucrées apres la
saleté des neiges fonduës que nous beuuions és stations precedentes
dans vn chauderon gras & enfumé, ie commençay à ressentir en ce lieu
l'incommodité du coucher sur la terre bien froide pendant l'hyuer &
fort humide au Printemps, car le costé droit sur lequel ie reposois
s'estourdit tellement par la froidure qu'il n'auoit quasi plus de
sentiment: or craignant de ne remporter que la moitié de moy-mesme dans
nostre petite maison, l'autre demeurante paralytique, ie promis vne
chemise & vne petite robbe à vn enfant pour vn meschãt bout de peau
d'Orignac que sa mere me donna, ceste peau non passée estoit bien aussi
dure que la terre, mais non pas si humide, [304] i'en fis mon lict qui
se trouua si court que la terre qui auoit iusques alors pris possession
de tout mon corps en retint encore la moitié.
 
On the thirteenth of the same month, we made our eighteenth station
near a river, whose waters seemed to me sweet as sugar after the
dirt of the melted snow that we drank at former stations, out of a
greasy and smoky kettle. I began here to experience the discomfort
of sleeping upon the ground, which was cold in winter and damp in
Spring; for my right side, upon which I lay, became so benumbed
from cold that it scarcely had any sense of feeling. Now fearing I
would only carry half of myself back to our little house, the other
being paralyzed, I promised a shirt and a little gown to a child,
for a miserable piece of Moose skin, which his mother gave me; this
undressed skin was about as hard as the ground, but not as damp.
[304] Of this I made my bed, which was so short that the ground,
which had up to that time taken possession of all my body, still
kept the half of it.
 
Depuis le depart du Sorcier, mon hoste prenoit plaisir à me faire des
questions, notamment des choses naturelles, il me demanda vn iour comme
la terre estoit faite, & m'apportant vne écorce & vn charbon, il me la
fit décrire, ie luy despeins donc les deux Hemispheres, & apres luy
auoir tracé l'Europe, l'Asia, & l'Affrique, ie vins à nostre Amerique,
luy monstrant comme elle est vne grande Isle, ie luy d'écriuy la coste
de l'Acadie, la grande Isle de Terre-neufue, l'entrée & golfe de nostre
grand fleuue de sainct Laurens, les peuples qui habitent ses riues,
le lieu où nous estions pour lors, ie montay iusques aux Algonquains,
aux Hiroquois, aux Hurons, à la nation neutre, &c. luy designant les
endroits plus & moins peuplez, ie passay à la Floride, au Perou,
au Brasil, &c. luy parlant en mon jargon de ces contrées le mieux
qu'il m'estoit possible, il m'interrogea [305] plus particulierement
des païs dont il a connoissance, puis m'ayans escouté fort
patiemment, il s'escria prononçant vne de leurs grandes admirations
_Amonitatinanioui_k_hi_! Ceste robbe noire dit vray! parlant à vn
vieillard qui me regardoit, puis se tournant deuers moy il me dit,
_nicanis_, mon bien aymé tu nous donne en verité de l'admiration, car
nous connoissons la plus part de ces terres & de ces peuples, & tu
les a descrit comme ils sont, i'insiste là dessus, comme tu vois que
ie dis vray parlant de ton pays, aussi dois-tu croire que ie ne ments
pas parlant des autres, ie le croy ainsi, me repartit-il, ie poursuy
ma pointe, comme ie suis veritable en parlant des choses de la terre,
aussi tu dois te persuader que ie ne voudrois pas mentir quand ie te
parle des choses du Ciel, & partant tu dois croire ce que ie t'ay dit
de l'autre vie: il s'arresta vn peu de temps tout court, puis ayant
vn peu pensé à part soy, Ie te croiray, dit-il quand tu sçauras bien
parler, nous auons maintenant trop de peine à nous faire entendre.
 
After the departure of the Sorcerer, my host took pleasure in
asking me questions, especially about the things of nature. One
day he asked me how the earth was made; and, bringing me a piece
of bark and some charcoal, he had me describe it. So I drew for
him the two Hemispheres; and, after having traced Europe, Asia and
Africa, I came to our America, showing him that it is an immense
Island. I described for him the coast of Acadia, the great Island
of Newfoundland, the entrance and gulf of our great river saint
Lawrence, the people who inhabit its banks, the place where we
then were. I went up as far as the Algonquains, the Hiroquois,
the Hurons, to the neutral nation, etc., showing him the places
more and less populous. I passed to Florida, to Peru, to Brazil,
etc., speaking to him in my jargon the best I could about these
countries. He asked me [305] more particularly about the countries
of which he had some knowledge. Then having listened to me
patiently, he exclaimed, using one of their words expressive of
great admiration, _Amonitatinaniouikhi!_ "This black robe tells
the truth," speaking to an old man who was looking at me; and
turning toward me, he said, "_nicanis_, my well-beloved, thou dost
indeed cause our wonder; for we are acquainted with the greater
part of these lands and tribes, and thou hast described them as
they are." Thereupon I urge, "As thou seest I tell the truth in
speaking of thy country, thou shouldst also believe that I do not
lie in speaking of the others." "I do believe thus," he replied. I
followed up my point: "As I am truthful in speaking about things of
the earth, also thou shouldst persuade thyself that I am not lying
when I speak to thee about the things of Heaven; and therefore thou
oughtst believe what I have told thee about the other life." He
paused a few moments, and then, having reflected a little, said, "I
will believe thee when thou shalt know how to speak; but we have
now too much trouble in understanding each other."
 
[306] Il m'a fait mille autres questions, du Soleil, de la rondeur de
la terre, des Antipodes, de la France, & fort souuent il me parloit de
nostre bon Roy, il admiroit quand ie luy disois que la France estoit
remplie de Capitaines, & que le Roy estoit le Capitaine de tous les
Capitaines, il me prioit de le mener en France pour le voir, & qu'il
luy feroit des presens, ie me mis à rire luy disant que toutes leurs
richesses n'estoient que pauureté à comparaisson des grandeurs du Roy,
Ie veux dire, me fit-il, que ie feray des presens à ceux de sa suitte,
pour luy ie me contenteray de le voir, il racontoit par apres aux
autres ce qu'il m'auoit ouy dire. Il me demanda vne autrefois s'il y
auoit de grands saults dans la mer, c'est à dire des cheutes d'eau, il
y en a beaucoup dans les fleuues de ce païs cy, vous verrez vne belle
riuiere coulant fort doucement tomber tout à coup dans vn lit plus
bas, les terres ne s'abbaissant pas également, mais comme par degrez
en certains endroits, nous voyons vn de ces sauts proche de Kebec
nommé le saut de [307] Montmorency, c'est vne riuiere qui vient des
terres, & qui se precipite de fort haut dans le grand fleuue de sainct
Laurens, les riues qui le bornent estans fort releuées en cét endroit:
Or quelques Sauuages croyoient que la mer a de ces cheutes d'eau dans
lesquelles se perdent quantité de nauires ie luy ostay cét erreur, ces
inegalitez ne se retrouuans point dans l'Ocean.
 
[306] He asked me a thousand other questions,--about the Sun, the
roundness of the earth, the Antipodes, France, and he frequently
spoke to me about our good King. He was surprised when I told him
that France was full of Captains, and that the King was the Captain
of all the Captains. He begged me to take him to France to see him,
and to make him some presents. I began to laugh, telling him that
all their riches were nothing but poverty compared to the splendors
of the King. "I mean," said he, "that I will make presents to his
followers; as to him, I will be content to see him." He recounted
afterwards to the others what he had heard me say. Another time
he asked me if there were any great falls in the sea, that is,
waterfalls. There are a great many in the rivers of this country.
You will see a beautiful river flowing along peacefully; and
all at once it will fall into a lower bed, as the land does not
slope gradually, but as if by steps in certain places. We see
one of these falls near Kebec; it is called the "falls of [307]
Montmorency." They are formed by a river which comes from the
interior, and falls from a very high level into the great river
saint Lawrence, the banks enclosing it being considerably elevated
at this place. Now some of the Savages believe that the sea has
these waterfalls, and that a great many ships are lost in them. I
removed this error by telling them that these inequalities are not
found in the Ocean.
 
Le vingt-troisiesme de Mars nous repassames le fleuue
_Capititetchioueth_, que nous auions passé le troisiesme de Decembre.
 
On the twenty-third of March, we again crossed the river
_Capititetchioueth_, over which we had passed on the third of
December.
 
Le trentiesme du mesme mois, nous vinsmes cabaner sur vn fort beau
lac, en ayant passé vn autre plus petit en nostre chemin, ils estoient
encore autant glacez qu'au milieu de l'hyuer, mon hoste me consoloit
icy me voyant fort foible & fort abbatu, ne t'attriste point, me
disoit-il, si tu t'attriste tu seras encore plus malade, si ta maladie
augmente tu mourras, considere que voicy vn beau pays, ayme-le, si tu
l'ayme, tu t'y plairas, si tu t'y plais tu te resioüiras, si tu te
resioüis tu guariras, ie [308] prenois plaisir d'entendre le discours
de ce pauure barbare.

댓글 없음: