2016년 9월 27일 화요일

The Jesuit Relations and Allied Documents 14

The Jesuit Relations and Allied Documents 14



Mõ Sauuage & le Sorcier son frere, ayãt appris qu'il y auoit quãtité
de Mõtagnais és enuirõs du lieu où ils vouloiẽt hyuerner, prirent
resolution de passer du costé du Nord, craignans que nous ne nous
affamassions les vns les autres: les voyla donc resolus d'aller
où m'auoit promis mon hoste & le Renegat; mais à peine auiõs nous
fait trois lieuës sur le grand fleuue pour le trauerser, que nous
rencontrasmes quatre canots qui nous ramenerent au Sud, disans que
la chasse n'estoit pas bonne du costé du Nord, si bien que ie fus
contraint de demeurer auec le sorcier, & d'hyuerner au delà de la
grande riuiere, quoy que ie peusse [234] alleguer au contraire. Ie
voyois bien les dangers dans lesquels ils me iettoient, mais ie ne
voyois point d'autre remede que de se confier en Dieu, & le laisser
faire.
 
My Savage and the Sorcerer, his brother, having learned that there
were a great many Montagnais near the place where they wished to
pass the winter, decided to turn Northward, lest we should starve
each other. They decided to go to the place where my host and the
Renegade had promised me they would go; but we had scarcely made
three leagues in crossing the great river, when we met four canoes
which turned us back to the South, saying the hunting was not good
up North. So I was obliged to remain with the sorcerer, and to
winter beyond the great river, in spite of all I could [234] urge
to the contrary. I realized well the dangers into which they were
throwing me, but I saw no other remedy than to trust in God and
leave all to him.
 
Si tost que les nouueaux Sauuages venus dans ces quatre canots eurent
mis pied à terre, mon hoste leur fit vn bãquet d'anguilles boucanées,
car nous n'auions déja plus de pain. A peine ces conuiés furent-ils
de retour en leur cabane, qu'ils dresserent vn festin de pois qu'ils
auoient acheté passans à Kebec, mais afin que vous voyez les excez de
ce peuple, au sortir de ce banquet, on vint à vn troisiesme, que le
sorcier auoit preparé, composé d'anguilles, & de la farine que i'auois
donnée à mon hoste: cet homme me pressa fort d'estre de la partie, il
auoit fait faire vn retranchemẽt dans nostre cabane auec des peaux, &
des couuertures, tous les conuiez entrerent là dedans, on me donna ma
part dans vne petite écuelle, mais comme ie n'estois pas encor tout à
fait accoustumé à manger de leur boüillies si sales & si fades, apres
en auoir gousté i'en voulu donner le reste à la parẽte de mon hoste,
[235] aussi tost on me dit K_hita_, K_hita_, mange tout, mange tout,
_acoumagouchan_, c'est vn festin à tout manger, ie me mis à rire, &
leur dis qu'ils ioüoient à se faire creuer, veu qu'ayans desia esté
à deux festins, ils en faisoient vn troisiesme à ne rien laisser,
mon hoste m'entendant me dit, que dis tu _Nicanis_? Ie dis que ie ne
sçaurois tout manger, donne moy, ce fit-il, ton écuelle ie t'ayderay,
luy ayant presenté il auala tout ce qui estoit dedans en deux tours de
gueule, tirant vne langue longue de la main pour la lecher au fond &
par tout, afin qu'il n'y restast rien.
 
As soon as these new Savages, who had come in the four canoes, had
landed, my host made them a banquet of smoked eels, for we were
already out of bread. Hardly had these guests returned to their
cabin, when they made a feast of peas which they had bought in
passing through Kebec. But that you may understand the excesses
of these people, [I will add that] in emerging from this banquet,
they went to a third, prepared by the sorcerer, composed of eels,
and of the flour I had given to my host. This man gave me a hearty
invitation to be one of the party. He had made a little apartment
in our cabin with skins and blankets, and all the guests entered
this place. They gave me my share in a little bark plate; but, as
I was not altogether accustomed to eating their mixtures, so dirty
and insipid, after having tasted it, I wanted to give the rest to
one of the relations of my host; [235] but they immediately cried
out, _Khita, Khita_, "Eat all, eat all," _acoumagouchan_. "It is an
eat-all feast." I began to laugh, and told them they were playing
a game of "burst themselves open," seeing they had already had two
feasts, and were making a third at which nothing was to be left.
My host, hearing me, said, "What art thou saying, _Nicanis_?" "I
am saying that I cannot eat all." "Give it to me," he answered,
"give me thy plate, I will help thee." Having presented it to him,
he gulped down all it contained in two swallows, thrusting out a
tongue as long as your hand to lick the bottom and sides, so that
nothing might remain.
 
Quand ils furent saouls quasi iusqu'à creuer, le Sorcier prit son
tambour & inuita tout le monde à chanter, celuy là chantoit le mieux
qui heurloit le plus fort; à la fin de leur tintamarre les voyans d'vne
humeur assez gaye, ie leur demanday permission de parler, cela m'estant
accordé, ie commençay à leur déclarer l'affection que ie leur portois,
vous voyez, disois-ie, de quel amour ie fuis porté en vostre endroit,
i'ay non seulement quitté mon pays, qui est beau, & bien agreable
pour venir dans vos [236] neiges & dans vos grands bois; mais encore
ie m'esloigne de la petite maison que nous auons en vos terres pour
vous suiure & pour apprendre vostre langue. Ie vous chery plus que
mes freres puis que ie les ay quittez pour vostre amour, c'est celuy
qui a tout fait qui me donne ceste affection enuers vous, c'est luy
qui creé le premier homme d'où nous sommes tous issus, voyla pourquoy
n'ayans qu'vn mesme pere nous sommes tous freres, & nous deuons tous
recognoistre vn mesme Seigneur & vn mesme Capitaine, nous deuons tous
croire en luy, & obeïr à ses volontez, Le Sorcier m'arrestant dit tout
haut, quand ie le verray, ie croiray en luy, autrement non, le moyen de
croyre en celuy qu'on ne void pas? Ie luy répondis, quand tu me dis que
ton pere, ou l'vn de tes amis a tenu quelque discours, ie croy ce qu'il
a dit, me figurant qu'il n'est point menteur, & ce pendant ie n'ay
iamais veu ton pere: de plus tu crois qu'il y a vn _Manitou_ & tu ne
l'as pas veu. Tu crois qu'il y a des _Khichicoua_k_hi_, ou des Genies
du iour, & tu ne les a pas veus: d'autres les ont veus, me dit-il, Tu
ne me sçaurois dire, luy reparty-ie, [237] ny quand, ny comment, ny
en quelle façon, ou en quel endroit on les a veus, & moy ie te puis
dire commẽt se nommoient ceux qui ont veu le Fils de Dieu en terre,
quand il l'ont veu, & en quel lieu, ce qu'ils ont faict, & en quels
pays ils ont esté. Ton Dieu, me fit-il, n'est point venu en nostre
pays, voila pourquoy nous ne croyons point en luy, fais que ie le voye,
& ie croiray en luy. Escoute moy & tu le verras, luy repliquay-ie,
Nous auons deux sortes de veuë, la veuë des yeux du corps, & la veuë
des yeux de l'ame, ce que tu vois des yeux de l'ame peut estre aussi
certain que ce que tu vois des yeux du corps: Non, dit-il, ie ne vois
rien sinon des yeux du corps, si ce n'est en dormãt, mais tu n'approuue
pas nos songes. Escoute moy iusqu'au bout, luy fis-ie, Quand tu passe
deuant vne cabane delaissée, que tu vois encor toutes les perches en
rond, que tu vois l'aire de la cabane tapissée de branches de Pin,
quand tu vois le fouyer qui fume encore, n'est-il pas vray que tu
cognois asseurément, & que tu vois bien qu'il y a eu là des Sauuages?
& que ces perches & tout le [238] reste que vous laissez quand vous
decabanez, ne se sont point rassemblées par cas fortuit? ouy, me
dit-il, or ie dis le mesme quand tu vois la beauté & la grandeur de
ce monde, que le Soleil tourne incessamment sans s'arrester, que les
saisons retournent en leur temps, & que tous les Astres gardent si
bien leur ordre, tu vois bien que les hommes n'ont point fait ces
merueilles, & qu'ils ne les gouuernent pas, il faut donc qu'il y ait
quelqu'vn plus noble que les hommes qui ait basty & qui gouuerne ceste
grande maison: or c'est celuy là que nous appellons Dieu, qui void
tout, & que nous ne voyons pas maintenant; mais nous le verrons apres
la mort, & nous serons bien-heureux à iamais auec luy si nous l'aymons
& si nous luy obeïssons. Tu ne sçais ce que tu dis, me repart-il,
apprends à parler & nous t'entendrons.
 
When they were full almost to bursting, the Sorcerer took his drum
and invited everyone to sing. The best singer was the one who
howled the loudest. At the end of this uproar, seeing that they
were in a very good humor, I asked permission to talk. This being
granted, I began to affirm the affection I had for them, "You
see," I said, "what love I bear you; I have not only left my own
country, which is beautiful and very pleasant, to come into your
[236] snows and vast woods, but I have also left the little house
we have in your lands, to follow you and learn your language; I
cherish you more than my brothers, since I have left them for love
of you; it is he who has made all who has given me this affection
for you, it is he who created the first man from whom we have all
descended; hence see how it is that, as we have the same father,
we are all brothers, and ought all to acknowledge the same Lord
and the same Captain; we ought all to believe in him, and obey his
will." The Sorcerer, stopping me, said in a loud voice, "When I
see him, I will believe in him, and not until then. How believe
in him whom we do not see?" I answered him: "When thou tellest
me that thy father or one of thy friends has said something, I
believe what he has said, supposing that he is not a liar, and yet
I have never seen thy father: also, thou believest that there is a
_Manitou_, and thou hast never seen him. Thou believest that there
are _Khichicouakhi_, or Spirits of light, and thou hast not seen
them." "Others have seen them," he answered. "Thou couldst not
tell," said I, [237] "neither when, nor how, nor in what way, nor
in what place they were seen; and I, I can tell thee the names of
those who have seen the Son of God upon earth,--when they saw him,
and in what place; what they have done, and in what countries they
have been." "Thy God," he replied, "has not come to our country,
and that is why we do not believe in him; make me see him and I
will believe in him." "Listen to me and thou wilt see him," said I.
"We have two kinds of sight, the sight of the eyes of the body, and
the sight of the eyes of the soul. What thou seest with the eyes of
the soul may be just as true as what thou seest with the eyes of
the body." "No," said he, "I see nothing except with the eyes of
the body, save in sleeping, and thou dost not approve our dreams."
"Hear me to the end," I said. "When thou passest a deserted cabin,
and seest yet standing the circle of poles, and the floor of the
cabin covered with Pine twigs, when thou seest the hearth still
smoking, is it not true that thou knowest positively, and that thou
seest clearly, that Savages have been there, and that these poles
and all the [238] rest of the things that you leave when you break
camp, are not brought together by chance?" "Yes," he answered.
"Now I say the same. When thou seest the beauty and grandeur of
this world,--how the Sun incessantly turns round without stopping,
how the seasons follow each other in their time, and how perfectly
all the Stars maintain their order,--thou seest clearly that men
have not made these wonders, and that they do not govern them;
hence there must be some one more noble than men, who has built
and who rules this grand mansion. Now it is he whom we call God,
who sees all things, and whom we do not see; but we shall see him
after death, and we shall be forever happy with him, if we love and
obey him." "Thou dost not know what thou art talking about," he
answered, "learn to talk and we will listen to thee."
 
Là dessus ie priay l'Apostat de déduire mes raisons & de les expliquer
en Sauuage: car i'en voyois de fort attentifs: mais ce miserable
Renegat, craignant de deplaire à son frere, ne voulut iamais ouurir
la bouche. Ie le prie, [239] ie le coniure auec toute douceur, en fin
ie redouble ma voix, & le menace de la part de Dieu, luy protestant
qu'il seroit responsable de l'ame de la femme de son frere le Sorcier,
laquelle ie voyois fort malade, & pour laquelle i'estois entré en
discours, esperant que si les Sauuages goustoient mes raisons, qu'ils
me permettroient aisément de l'instruire; ce coeur de bronze ne
flechit iamais, ny à mes prieres, ny à mes menaces; Ie prie Dieu qu'il
luy fasse misericorde, mon hoste me voyant parler d'vn accent assez

댓글 없음: