2016년 9월 27일 화요일

The Jesuit Relations and Allied Documents 12

The Jesuit Relations and Allied Documents 12


They had left our Shallop at anchor in a strong tidal current. I
told them it was not safe, and that it ought to be placed under
shelter behind the Island; but, as we were only waiting for a
good breeze in order to depart, they did not heed me. During the
night the tempest increased, so that it seemed as if the winds
were uprooting our Island. Our host, foreseeing what might occur,
roused the Apostate, and urged him to come and help him save our
Shallop, which threatened to go to pieces. Now either this wretch
was lazy, or he was afraid of the billows; for he did not even try
to get up, giving as his only reason that he was tired. During this
delay, the wind broke the fastening, or cable of the anchor, and
in an instant carried away our Shallop. My host, seeing this fine
[222] management, came and said to me, "_Nicanis_, my well-beloved,
the Shallop is lost; the winds, which have loosened it, will break
it to pieces against the rocks which surround us on all sides."
Who would not have been vexed at that Renegade, whose negligence
caused us untold trials, considering that we had a number of
packages among our baggage, and several children to carry? Yet my
host, barbarian and savage that he is, was not at all troubled at
this accident; but, fearing it might discourage me, he said to me,
"_Nicanis_, my well-beloved, art thou not angry at this loss, which
will cause us so many difficulties?" "I am not very happy over it,"
I answered. "Do not be cast down," he replied, "for anger brings
on sadness, and sadness brings sickness. _Petrichtich_ does not
know anything; if he had tried to help me, this misfortune would
not have happened." And these were all the reproaches he made.
Truly, it humiliates me that considerations of health should check
the anger and vexation of a Barbarian; and that the law of God,
his good pleasure, the hope of his great rewards, the fear of his
[223] chastisements, our own peace and comfort, cannot check the
impatience and anger of a Christian.
 
Au malheur susdit en suruint vn autre, nous auions outre la Chaloupe
vn petit Canot d'écorce, la marée se grossissant plus qu'à l'ordinaire
par le souffle des vents nous le déroba, nous voila prisonniers
plus que iamais, ie ne vis ny larmes ny plaintes, non pas mesme
parmy les femmes, sur le dos desquelles ce desastre tomboit plus
particulierement, à raison qu'elles sont comme les bestes de voiture,
portant ordinairement le bagage des Sauuages, au contraire tout le
monde se mit à rire.
 
The above misfortune was soon followed by another. In addition
to the Shallop, we had a little bark Canoe, and the tide, rising
higher than usual through the force of the wind, robbed us of
that; and there we were, more than ever prisoners. I neither saw
tears nor heard complaints, not even among the women, upon whose
shoulders this disaster fell more particularly, as they are like
beasts of burden, usually carrying the baggage of the Savages; on
the contrary, everybody began to laugh.
 
Le iour venu, car ce fut la nuict que la tempeste commit ce larcin,
nous courusmes tous sur les riues du fleuue, pour apprendre par nos
yeux des nouuelles de nostre pauure Chaloupe, & de nostre Canot,
nous vismes l'vn & l'autre échoüez fort loing de nous, la Chaloupe
parmy des roches, & le Canot au bord du bois de la terre continente,
chacun pensoit que tout estoit en pieces: si tost que la mer se fut
retirée les [224] vns courrent vers la Chaloupe, les autres vers le
Canot, chose estrange; rien ne se trouua endommagé, i'en demeuray tout
estonné: car de cent vaisseaux fussent-ils d'vn bois aussi dur que le
bronze, à peine s'en sauueroit-il pas vn dans ces grands coups de vent
& sur des roches.
 
When morning came, for it was at night when the tempest committed
this theft, we all ran along the edge of the river, to learn with
our own eyes some news of our poor Shallop and our Canoe. We
saw both of them stranded a long distance from us, the Shallop
among the rocks and the Canoe along the edge of the woods of the
mainland. Every one thought they were all in pieces; as soon as
the sea had receded [224], some ran toward the Shallop, and others
toward the Canoe. Wonderful to relate, nothing was harmed; I was
amazed, for out of a hundred ships made of wood as hard as bronze,
scarcely one would have been saved in those violent blasts of wind,
and upon those rocks.
 
Pendant que les vents nous tenoient prisonniers dans ceste malheureuse
Islete, vne partie de nos gens s'en allerent visiter quelques Sauuages
qui estoient à cinq ou six lieuës de nous, si bien qu'il ne resta que
les femmes & les enfans, & _L'hiroquois_ dans nostre cabane. La nuict
vne femme estant sortie s'en reuint toute effarée criant qu'elle auoit
oüy le _Manitou_, ou le diable, voila l'allarme dans nostre camp, tout
le monde remply de peur garde vn profond silence, Ie demanday d'où
procedoit ceste épouuente: car ie n'auois pas entendu ce qu'auoit dit
ceste femme, _eca titou, eca titou_, me dit on, _Manitou_, tais-toy,
tais-toy, c'est le diable: ie me mis à rire, & me leuant en pied ie
sors de la cabane, & pour les asseurer i'appelle en leur langage le
_Manitou_, criant tout haut que ie [225] ne le craignois pas, & qu'il
n'oseroit venir où i'estois: puis ayant fait quelques tours dans
nostre Islete, ie rentray, & leur dis, ne craignez point, le diable ne
vous fera aucun mal tant que ie seray auec vous, il craint ceux qui
croyent en Dieu, si vous y voulez croire il s'enfuïra de vous. Eux bien
estonnez, me demandent si ie ne le craignois point, ie repars pour les
deliurer de leur peur, que ie n'en craignois pas vne centaine, ils
se mirent tous à rire, se rasseurans petit à petit: or voyant qu'ils
auoient ietté de l'anguille dans le feu i'en demanday la raison,
tais-toy, me firent-ils, nous donnons à manger au diable afin qu'il ne
nous fasse point de mal.
 
While the wind held us prisoners in this unhappy Island, a number
of our people went to visit some Savages who were five or six
leagues from us, so that there only remained in our cabin the
women and children, and the _Hiroquois_. During the night, a woman
who had gone out, returned, terribly frightened, crying out that
she had heard the _Manitou_, or devil. At once all the camp was
in a state of alarm, and everyone, filled with fear, maintained a
profound silence. I asked the cause of this fright, for I had not
heard what the woman had said; _eca titou, eca titou_, they told
me, _Manitou_, "Keep still, keep still, it is the devil." I began
to laugh, and rising to my feet, went out of the cabin; and to
reassure them I called, in their language, the _Manitou_, crying
in a loud voice that I [225] was not afraid, and that he would not
dare come where I was. Then, having made a few turns in our Island,
I reëntered, and said to them, "Do not fear, the devil will not
harm you as long as I am with you, for he fears those who believe
in God; if you will believe in God, the devil will flee from you."
They were greatly astonished, and asked me if I was not afraid of
him at all. I answered, to relieve them of their fears, that I was
not afraid of a hundred of them; they began to laugh, and were
gradually reassured. Now seeing that they had thrown some eels
in the fire, I asked them the reason for it. "Keep still," they
replied; "we are giving the devil something to eat, so that he will
not harm us."
 
Mon hoste à son retour ayant sceu ceste histoire, me remercia fort
de ce que i'auois rasseuré tous ses gens, me demandant si en effet
ie n'auois point de peur du _Manitou_, ou du diable, & si ie le
cognoissois bien, que pour eux qu'ils le craignoient plus que la
foudre; Ie luy répondis, que s'il vouloit croire, & obeïr à celuy qui
a tout fait, que le _Manitou_ n'auroit nul pouuoir sur luy: pour nous
qu'estans assistez de celuy que [226] nous adorions, le diable auoit
plus de peur de nous, que nous n'auions de luy; il s'estonna, & me dit
qu'il eust bien voulu que i'eusse eu cognoissance de sa langue: car
figurez vous que nous nous faisions entendre l'vn l'autre plus par les
yeux, & par les mains, que par la bouche.
 
My host, upon his return, having learned this story, thanked me
very much for giving courage to his people, and asked me if I
really had no fear of the _Manitou_, or devil, and if I knew him
very well; as for them, they feared him more than a thunderbolt. I
answered that, if he would believe and obey him who had made all,
the _Manitou_ would have no power over him; that for ourselves,
being helped by him whom [226] we adored, the devil had more fear
of us than we had of him. He was astonished, and told me that he
would be very glad if we knew his language, for you must be aware
that we were making each other understand more through our eyes and
hands than through our lips.
 
Ie dressay quelques prieres en leur langue, auec l'ayde de l'Apostat:
or comme le Sorcier n'estoit pas encore venu, ie les recitois le matin,
& auant nos repas, eux-mesmes m'en faisans souuenir, & prenans plaisir
à les ouīr prononcer; si ce miserable Magicien ne fust point venu auec
nous ces Barbares auroient pris grand plaisir de m'écouter: mon hoste
me faisoit mille questions, me demandant pourquoy nous mouriõs, où
alloient nos ames, si la nuit estoit vniuerselle par tout le monde, &
choses semblables, se monstrant fort attentif à mes réponses. Changeons
de discours.
 
I arranged a few prayers in their language, with the help of the
Apostate. Now, as the Sorcerer had not yet come, I repeated them
in the morning and before our meals, they themselves reminding me
of them, and taking pleasure in hearing them pronounced; if the
wretched Magician had not come with us, these Barbarians would
have taken great pleasure in listening to me. My host asked me a
thousand questions,--why we died, where our souls went, if night
was universal all over the world, and similar things,--and was very
attentive to my answers. Let us change the subject.
 
Ie remarquay en ce lieu cy, que les ieunes femmes ne mangent point dans
le plat de leurs marys: i'en demanday la raison, le Renegat me dit que
les ieunes [227] filles à marier, & les femmes qui n'auoient point
encore d'enfans, n'auoient rien en maniement, & qu'on leur faisoit leur
part comme aux enfans, de là vient que sa femme mesme me dit vn iour,
Dis à mon mary qu'il me donne bien à manger: mais ne luy dis pas que ie
t'ay prié de luy dire.
 
I observed in this place that the young women did not eat from the
same dish as their husbands. I asked the reason, and the Renegade
told me that the young [227] unmarried women, and the women who had
no children, took no part in the management of affairs, and were
treated like children. Thence it came that his own wife said to me
one day, "Tell my husband to give me plenty to eat, but do not tell him that I asked you to do so."

댓글 없음: