2016년 9월 25일 일요일

Willow Pollen 6

Willow Pollen 6


PEDDLED JOY
 
 
“May I not sell this gewgaw red?”
“You must not sell!
You cannot buy!”
“Not sell my own, my heart?”
“You two are one: you may not part,--
One peddled joy, you both are dead!”
 
“Must I go hungry all the way?”
“You must not beg!
You must not cry!”
“Not for two bits o’love today?”
“Your empty scrip for pillow keep:
It brings great gifts,--thirst, sorrow, sleep!”
 
 
 
 
WORK
 
 
I told my heart that work must be
The only aim of life for me.
But oh! my heart cried, “Love, love, love!”
And wept bitterly.
 
 
 
 
SOMEWHERE TONIGHT
 
_On hearing the Evening Bells at Westport-on-Lake Champlain_
 
 
I
 
Somewhere I have heard bells
Mellow as the moon:
Somewhere they hung and swung,
With slender sound they rose
Tiptoe with hunger for the sky,
Star-pointed with the light of dream;
Somewhere those eager bells whispered of love,--
That was another day,
And we were gay!
 
 
II
 
And now this withered sound’s farewell
Swinging like tethered rhyme,
Slow-moving, pendulous,
A sigh upon the water’s breast,
A cloud within the sky!
Never again for us, Belovèd,
Yet somewhere the moon shines and is bright,--
Somewhere tonight!
 
 
 
 
YOUR SUNLIT WAY
 
 
I
 
Should one thought cry against me in your heart,
I could not rise from Death, saying, “Love, my place
Is by your living side; ghostly, I touch
Your precious hands, I kiss your lovely face!”
 
 
II
 
I would not have you shrink to feel me near,
Or claim despite your will what once was mine,
Was ours in God-flung vow, passionate, dear
By night, by day, companioned or apart.
 
 
III
 
Not mine to snare your liberty, to cage
Your sunlit way. Yet, wish me gone, I leap
From light, I plunge to find amen and shroud
In Death,--this time for Love’s eternal sleep.
 
 
 
 
STRANGE FACES
 
 
There!
That is the face for me--
That face I shall never see
In this world again!
All that I miss is there,
Touch of life and its kiss!
O, mysterious love in our heart
Found for us both as we pass,--
As we part!
 
 
 
 
EVERYWHERE
 
 
You I love,
You and you:
One I never see
And one I know.
 
Well, and what then?
Nothing.
But, I ask,
Does the wind blow?
Do feet drift or go?
And where?
How shall a tinker mend
A pinch of dust?
 
Some things are mine to keep,
Some to share:
My thoughts I bear
Because I must;
My love I spend
Because I wish,
On you I never see,
On you I know,--
Everywhere.
 
 
 
 
CLOUD
 
 
A slate galleon hurrying across a sea of fire,--
And they call _that_ “cloud”!
And the sea it sails upon “sky”!
Tut, it is a ship as plain as anything
Full-spread to find the silver edges of the world
Where ships and island daffodils
Burn, follow sun, dip,
Cling to the shining brim like flapping butterflies,
Let go,
Then, whirling sail and streaming daffodil,
Dart into night and flame to stars!
And the “sky” ...
Now you tell what the sky is!
 
 
 
 
BUCENTAUR
 
_At Isle au Haut_
 
 
Dawn, bright dawn,
White swan on the edge of the dark pool of night
Fan the shade from its mirror,
Cleave the stars on its deep!
 
Joyous barge of my dream,
On the wave, on the wind, O Bucentaur,
With your cry sweep the seas,
Shake the wind from the trees,
Wake the world from its sleep,
Meet and greet
Song within song!
 
Your eyes jewelled fire,
Your touch my desire,
Draw nearer, draw nearer
Down the rose-colored stream;
White swan, bright dawn,
Kiss me, and lift me
On the wing of your light!
 
 
 
 
MOTH
 
_At Isle au Haut_

댓글 없음: