2016년 9월 25일 일요일

Willow Pollen 7

Willow Pollen 7



Gray like a moth
Dawn slips away,
Bright in apocalypse of light.
Rose and gold and green of the world,
Wind and bird and the great sea’s lay
Possess the day!
 
 
 
 
GRAY WATERS
 
_At Isle au Haut_
 
 
Take me to some isle upon the sea!
Bear me on wing of bird or keel of ship
Out where gray waters slip
About some isle upon the sea,--
Upon the sea!
 
Lay me within some caverned rock
Whose bosom, hard from all the years,
Knows nothing of men’s tears,--
Gray peaceful rest beside the sea,
Beside the sea!
 
Take me to some isle upon the sea!
Bear me on wing of bird or keel of ship
Out where gray waters slip
About some isle upon the sea!
Upon the sea!
 
 
 
 
JOURNEY’S END
 
 
I shall not hear the thrushes sing,
Though sing they will that day;
For me will be an unknown sod
And an undreamed-of May!
 
 
 
 
WHITE PATHS
 
 
Here are white paths that gleam
In the twilight space of dream;
Here the winds turn in their sleep
With the rocking of the deep;
Here the golden song of thrush
Is music’s sunlight, evening’s hush;
Here the rustle of our prayer
Climbs the forest altar stair;
And here the stars burn in the sod--
Peaceful candlelight for God.
 
 
 
 
EBONY
 
_On watching a beautiful black arm opening a
Venetian Lantern at Fleur de Lys_
 
 
Ebony, Ebony,
Dreaming of a rose,
Flame in the flower-heart,
Dusk in repose;
 
Jeweled eyes glistening,
Dew on the leaf,
Sweet to Africa
Is the thought of her grief.
 
 
 
 
TO SOME PHILADELPHIA SPARROWS
 
 
Men say unfriendly words of you, poor birds!
And I? I praise you for your saucy joy
On dusty streets; I love you for your twitter
In vines that cling to heated city walls;
Your noisy congregations on the trees;
Unchurchly ways of saying this and that
About your brother men; your gaieties
In parks nearby a fountain’s dripping brim.
 
Men say your manners are not fine. And, too,
They call you scavengers, they call you thief
And enemy to other prettier birds.
Perhaps we are one feather, you and I!
I would not hold it any grief to be
Your brother bird upon the city street.
 
I love you, chatterers! Yet I have heard
The lark in other lands, the thrush in this.
Dull many a day had been without your din,
Your wrangles under foot, your shameless ways.
 
Men say unfriendly words of you. Of me
They speak unkindly, too. Yet see how gay
We are! Ah, well, we are one feather, you
And I! We have the city streets for plunder,
The eaves for wonder, and above there is
The sky!
 
 
 
 
ORIOLE’S NEST
 
AT FLEUR DE LYS
 
 
Night in an oriole’s hanging nest
Is rocking a basket world to sleep.
The wind blows soft
And the wind blows far,
Star, creep, star!
 
Pack me tight in my basket world,
Tread me and turn me with feet of your love!
O, Mother Bird, fledge me with feather and rest!
O, Mother Bird, brood me with flame of your breast!
Down in the marshes the little fish gleam,
Down in the marshes the little fish stir
Rushes in sleep,
Rushes that keep
Wrinkling the light of a drowsy star.
 
Here in my basket world hung on the wind
Over me rustles an ebony bough,
Over me hovers a silvery beak;
And clear and soft
And near and far
Lustre of loving eyes rocked in this nest,
Eyes that are gentle,
Eyes that are meek.
O, Mother Bird, fledge me with feather and rest!
O, Mother Bird, brood me with flame of your breast!
 
 
 
 
LITTLE MISS HILLY
 
 
Oh, little Miss Hilly of Northampton-town
Goes walking the valleys and meadows adown;
She looks in the brooks for the stars and the moon
And she sings an old chanty a bit out of tune.
Oh, little Miss Hilly is dear unto me,--
Is dear unto me!
 
Her arms are so eager but tiny are they,
And her fingers are agile as waters at play.
Yet little Miss Hilly must climb a steep slope,
Must go without laughter and live without hope:
Must chatter and patter like leaves and like rain,
Must shiver and quiver and ache with the pain
Of climbing for stars and wanting the moon
As she puts an old chanty once more into tune,
Ere the stars will come down or the moon will reply
Except by a wink through a chink in the sky
Oh, little Miss Hilly so dear unto me,
So dear unto me!
 
 
 
 
ROSE TOADA
 
_A Sleep Song_
 
 
I
 
Shoo, Rose Toada, Shoo!
Jewelled red eyes for you.

댓글 없음: