2016년 9월 27일 화요일

The Jesuit Relations and Allied Documents 9

The Jesuit Relations and Allied Documents 9



In the fourth place, wishing to have sport at my expense, he
sometimes made me write vulgar things in his language, assuring
me there was nothing bad in them, then made me pronounce these
shameful words, which I did not understand, in the presence of the
Savages. Some women having warned me of this trick, I told him I
would no longer soil my paper nor my [204] lips with these vile
words. He insisted, however, that I should read before all those
of the cabin, and some Savages who had come thither, something he
had dictated to me. I answered him that, if the Apostate would
interpret them to me, I would read them. That Renegade refusing to
do this, I refused to read. The Sorcerer commanded me imperiously,
that is, with high words, and I at first begged him gently to
excuse me; but as he did not wish to be thwarted before the
Savages, he persisted in urging me, and had my host, who pretended
to be vexed, urge me also. At last, aware that my excuses were of
no avail, I spoke to him peremptorily, and, after reproaching him
for his lewdness, I addressed him in these words: "Thou hast me in
thy power, thou canst murder me, but thou canst not force me to
repeat indecent words." "They are not such," he said. "Why then,"
said I, "will they not interpret them to me?" He emerged from this
conflict very much exasperated.
 
En cinquiesme lieu, voyant que mon [205] hoste m'aymoit, il eut peur
que cet amour ne le priuast de quelque friand morceau, ie taschay de
luy oster ceste apprehension, témoignant publiquement que ie ne viuois
pas pour manger, mais que ie mangeois pour viure, & qu'il importoit
peu quoy qu'on me donnast, pourueu que i'en eusse assez pour ne point
mourir: il me repartit nettement, qu'il n'estoit pas de mon aduis, mais
qu'il faisoit profession d'estre friand, d'aymer les bons morceaux, &
qu'on l'obligeoit fort quand on luy en presentoit: or iaçoit que mon
hoste ne luy donnast aucun sujet de craindre en cet endroit, si est ce
qu'il m'attaquoit quasi en tous les repas, comme s'il eut eu peur de
perdre la preseance, ceste apprehension augmentoit sa haine.
 
In the fifth place, seeing that my [205] host was greatly attached
to me, he was afraid that this friendliness might deprive him of
some choice morsel. I tried to relieve him of this apprehension
by stating publicly that I did not live to eat, but that I ate to
live; and that it mattered little what they gave me, provided it
was enough to keep me alive. He retorted sharply that he was not of
my opinion, but that he made a profession of being dainty; that he
was fond of the good pieces, and was very much obliged when people
gave them to him. Now although my host gave him no cause for fear
in this direction, yet he attacked me at almost every meal as if he
were afraid of losing his precedence. This apprehension increased
his hatred.
 
En sixiesme lieu, comme il voyoit que les Sauuages des autres cabanes
me portoient quelque respect, cognoissant d'ailleurs que i'estois grand
ennemy de ses impostures, & que si i'entrois dans l'esprit de ses
oüailles, que ie le perdrois de fond en comble, il faisoit son possible
pour me détruire, & pour me rendre ridicule en la creance de son peuple.
 
In the sixth place, when he saw that the Savages of the other
cabins showed me some respect, knowing besides that I was a great
enemy of his impostures, and that, if I gained influence among his
flock, I would ruin him completely, he did all he could to destroy
me and to make me appear ridiculous in the eyes of his people.
 
[206] En septiesme lieu, adioustez à tout cecy l'auersion que luy &
tous les Sauuages de Tadoussac ont eu iusques icy des François depuis
le commerce des Anglois, & coniecturez quel traictement ie peux auoir
receu de ces Barbares, qui adorent ce miserable Sorcier, contre lequel
le plus souuent i'auois guerre declarée. I'ay creu cent fois que ie ne
sortirois iamais de ceste meslée que par les portes de la mort. Il m'a
traité fort indignement, il est vray, mais ie m'estonne qu'il n'a pis
fait, veu qu'il est idolatre de ces superstitiõs, que ie combattois
de toutes mes forces. De raconter par le menu toutes ses attaques,
ses risées, ses gausseries, ses mépris, ie ferois vn Liure pour vn
Chapitre, suffit de dire qu'il s'attaquoit mesme par fois à Dieu pour
me déplaire, & qu'il s'efforçoit de me rendre la risée des petits &
des grands, me décriant dans les autres cabanes aussi bien que dans la
nostre, il n'eut neantmoins iamais le credit d'animer contre moy les
Sauuages nos voisins, ils baissoient la teste quand ils entendoient
les benedictiõs qu'il me donnoit. Pour les domestiques incitez par
[207] son exemple, & appuyez de son authorité, ils me chargeoient
incessamment de mille brocards, & de mille injures, ie me suis veu en
tel estat, que pour ne les aigrir, ou ne leur donner occasion de se
fascher, ie passois les iours entiers sans ouurir la bouche. Croyez
moy si ie n'ay rapporté autre fruict des Sauuages, i'ay pour le moins
appris beaucoup d'injures en leur langue, ils me disoient à tout
bout de champ _eca titou, eca titou nama_ k_hitirinisin_, tais toy,
tais toy, tu n'as point d'esprit. _Achineou_, il est orgueilleux,
_Moucachtechiou_, il fait du compagnon, _sasegau_ il est superbe,
_cou attimou_ il ressemble à vn Chien, _cou mascoua_ il ressemble à
vn Ours, _cou ouabouchou ouichtoui_ il est barbu comme vn Lieure,
_attimonai ou_k_himau_ il est Capitaine des Chiens, _cou oucousimas
ouchtigonan_ il a la teste faite comme vn citroüille, _matchiriniou_
il est difforme, il est laid, k_hichcouebeon_ il est yure; voila les
couleurs dont ils me peignoient, & de quantité d'autres que i'obmets:
le bon est qu'ils ne pensoient pas quelquesfois que ie les entendisse,
& me voyans sous-rire ils demeuroient confus, du moins ceux qui ne
chantoiẽt [208] ces airs que pour complaire au Sorcier: les enfans
m'estoient fort importuns me faisans mille niches, m'imposans silence
quand ie voulois parler. Quand mon hoste estoit au logis i'auois
quelque relache, & quand le Sorcier s'absentoit i'estois dans la bonace
maniant les grands & les petits quasi comme ie voulois. Voila vne bonne
partie des choses qu'on doit souffrir parmy ces peuples: cecy ne doit
épouuenter personne, les bons soldats s'animent à la veuë de leur sang
& de leurs playes, Dieu est plus grand que nostre cœur, on ne tombe pas
tousiours dans la famine, on ne rencontre pas tousiours des Sorciers,
ou des iongleurs de l'humeur de celuy-cy: en vn mot si nous pouuions
sçauoir la langue & la reduire en preceptes il ne seroit plus de besoin
de suiure ces Barbares. Pour les nations stables, d'où nous attendons
le plus grand fruict, nous pouuons auoir nostre cabane à part, & par
consequent nous deliurer d'vne partie de ces grandes incommoditez: mais
finissons ce Chapitre, autrement ie me voy en danger d'estre aussi
importun que cet imposteur [209] que ie recommande aux prieres de
tous ceux qui liront cecy, ie coucheray au Chapitre suiuant quelques
entretiens que i'ay eu auec luy, lors que nous estions dans quelque
tréue.
 
[206] In the seventh place, add to all these things the aversion
which he and all the Savages of Tadoussac had, up to the present
time, against the French, since their intercourse with the
English; and judge what treatment I might have received from these
Barbarians, who adore this miserable Sorcerer, against whom I was
generally in a state of open warfare. I thought a hundred times
that I should only emerge from this conflict through the gates of
death. He treated me shamefully, it is true; but I am astonished
that he did not act worse, seeing that he is an idolater of those
superstitions which I was fighting with all my might. To relate
in detail all his attacks, gibes, sneers, and contempt, I would
write a Book instead of a Chapter. Suffice it to say, that he
sometimes even attacked God to displease me; and that he tried
to make me the laughingstock of small and great, abusing me in
the other cabins as well as in ours. He never had, however, the
satisfaction of inciting our neighboring Savages against me; they
merely hung their heads when they heard the blessings he showered
upon me. As to the servants, instigated by [207] his example,
and supported by his authority, they continually heaped upon me
a thousand taunts and a thousand insults; and I was reduced to
such a state, that, in order not to irritate them or give them
any occasion to get angry, I passed whole days without opening my
mouth. Believe me, if I have brought back no other fruits from the
Savages, I have at least learned many of the insulting words of
their language. They were saying to me at every turn, _eca titou,
eca titou nama khitirinisin_, "Shut up, shut up, thou hast no
sense." _Achineou_, "He is proud;" _Moucachtechiou_, "He plays the
parasite;" _sasegau_, "He is haughty;" _cou attimou_, "He looks
like a Dog;" _cou mascoua_, "He looks like a Bear;" _cou ouabouchou
ouichtoui_, "He is bearded like a Hare;" _attimonai oukhimau_, "He
is Captain of the Dogs;" _cou oucousimas ouchtigonan_, "He has a
head like a pumpkin;" _matchiriniou_, "He is deformed, he is ugly;"
_khichcouebeon_, "He is drunk." So these are the colors in which
they paint me, and a multitude of others, which I omit. The best
part of it was that they did not think sometimes that I understood
them; and, seeing me smile, they became embarrassed,--at least,
those who sang [208] these songs only to please the Sorcerer. The
children were very troublesome, playing numberless tricks upon me,
and imposing silence when I wanted to talk. When my host was at
home, I had some rest; and, when the Sorcerer was absent, I was in
smooth water, managing both great and small just as I wished. So
these are some of the things that have to be endured among these
people. This must not frighten any one; good soldiers are animated
with courage at the sight of their blood and their wounds, and God
is greater than our hearts. One does not always encounter a famine;
one does not always meet Sorcerers or jugglers with so bad a temper
as that one had; in a word, if we could understand the language,
and reduce it to rules, there would be no more need of following
these Barbarians. As to the stationary tribes, from which we expect
the greatest fruit, we can have our cabins apart, and consequently
be freed from many of these great inconveniences. But let us finish
this Chapter; otherwise I see myself in danger of becoming as
troublesome as that impostor, [209] whom I commend to the prayers
of all those who will read this. I shall set down in the following
Chapter some conversations I had with him when we were enjoying a
truce.
 
 
 
 
CHAPITRE XIII.
 
CONTENANT VN IOURNAL DES CHOSES QUI N'ONT PEU ESTRE COUCHÉES SOUS LES
CHAPITRES PRECEDENS.
 
 
SI ce Chapitre estoit le premier dans ceste relation, il donneroit
quelque lumiere à tous les suiuans: mais ie luy ay donné le dernier
rang, pource qu'il se grossira tous les iours iusques au depart des
vaisseaux, par le rencontre des choses plus remarquables qui pourront
arriuer, n'estant qu'vn memoire en forme de Iournal, de tout ce qui n'a
peu estre logé dans les Chapitres precedens.
 
CHAPTER XIII.
 
CONTAINING A JOURNAL OF THINGS WHICH COULD NOT BE SET FORTH IN THE
PRECEDING CHAPTERS.
 
 
IF this Chapter were the first in this relation, it would throw
some light upon all the following ones; but I have given it
the last place, because it will continue to increase every day
until the departure of the ships, through the occurrence of more
noteworthy events which may happen. It is only a memoir, in the
form of a Journal, of all the things that could not be given in the
preceding Chapters.

댓글 없음: