2016년 9월 27일 화요일

The Jesuit Relations and Allied Documents 19

The Jesuit Relations and Allied Documents 19


not cure him, but that my God could do all, and besides we must
not make bargains with him, nor prescribe to him the conditions
upon which he was to act, saying, "Let him cure me first, and then
I will believe in him." "Prepare thyself," I continued, "on thy
part, and his goodness will not fail thee; for, if he does not
give thee health of the body, he will give thee health of the soul,
which is of incomparably higher value." "Do not speak to me about
the soul," he replied, "that is something that I give myself no
anxiety about; it is this (showing his flesh) that I love, it is
the body I cherish; as to the soul, I do not see it, let happen
to it what will." "Hast thou any reason?" I asked, "thou speakest
like a brute, dogs love only their bodies; he who has made the Sun
[263] to shine upon thee, has he not prepared something better for
thy soul than for the soul of a dog? If thou lovest only the body,
thou wilt lose both thy body and thy soul. If a brute could talk,
it would talk about nothing but its body and its flesh; hast thou
nothing above the brute, which is made to serve thee? Dost thou
love only flesh and blood? Thy soul, is it only the soul of a dog,
that thou dost treat it with such contempt?" "Perhaps thou sayest
truly," he replied, "and there is something good in the other
life; but we here in this country know nothing about it. If thou
restorest my health, I will do what thou wishest." This poor wretch
is never able to raise his thoughts above earth. Seeing then no
inclination in this haughty spirit, who thought he was obliging God
by believing in him, I gave him up for the time being, and retired
to rest, for it was well along into the night.
 
Le 3. de Decembre nous cõmençasmes nostre quatriesme station, ayans
délogé sans trompette, mais non pas sans tambour: car le Sorcier
n'oublioit iamais le sien, nous plantasmes nostre camp proche d'vn
fleuue large & rapide, [264] mais peu profond, ils le nomment _Ca
pititetchiouetz_, il se va dégorger dans le grand fleuue de sainct
Laurens, quasi vis à vis de Tadoussac, nos Sauuages n'ayans point icy
de viandes pour faire des festins, ils faisoient des banquets de fumée,
s'inuitans les vns les autres, dans leurs cabanes, & faisans la ronde à
vn petit plat de terre remply de Tabac, chacun en prenoit vne cornetée
qu'il reduisoit en fumée, remettant la main au plat s'il vouloit
petuner dauantage: l'affection qu'ils portent à ceste herbe est au
delà de toute créance, ils s'endormẽt le cabanet en la bouche, ils se
leuent par fois la nuit pour petuner, ils s'arrestent souuent en chemin
pour le mesme sujet, c'est la premiere action qu'ils font rentrant
dans leurs cabanes: ie leur ay battu le fusil pour les faire petuner
en ramants dans vn canot, ie leur ay veu souuent manger le baston de
leur calumet, n'ayans plus de petun, ie leur ay veu racler & pulueriser
vn calumet de bois pour petuner, disons auec compassion qu'ils passent
leur vie dans la fumée, & qu'ils tombent à la mort dans le feu.
 
On the 3rd of December we began our fourth station, having broken
camp without trumpets, but not without drums, for the Sorcerer
never forgot his. We pitched our camp near a broad and rapid, [264]
but rather shallow river, which they called _Ca pititetchiouetz_;
it flows into the great river saint Lawrence, almost opposite
Tadoussac. Our Savages, having no food for a feast here, made a
banquet of smoke; each inviting the others to his cabin, they
passed around a little earthen plate containing Tobacco, and every
one took a pipeful, which he reduced to smoke, returning his hand
to the dish if he wanted to smoke any more. The fondness they have
for this herb is beyond all belief. They go to sleep with their
reed pipes in their mouths, they sometimes get up in the night to
smoke; they often stop in their journeys for the same purpose, and
it is the first thing they do when they reënter their cabins. I
have lighted tinder, so as to allow them to smoke while paddling a
canoe; I have often seen them gnaw the stems of their pipes when
they had no more tobacco, I have seen them scrape and pulverize a
wooden pipe to smoke it. Let us say with compassion that they pass
their lives in smoke, and at death fall into the fire.
 
[265] I'auois porté du petun auec moy, non pour mõ vsage, car ie n'en
prends point, i'en donnay largement selon que i'en auois à plusieurs
Sauuages; m'en reseruant vne partie pour tirer de l'Apostat quelque
mot de sa langue; car il ne m'eust pas dit vne parole qu'en le payãt
de ceste monnoye, quand nos gens eurent consommé ce que ie leur auois
donné, & ce qu'ils auoient en leur particulier, ie n'auois plus de
paix, le Sorcier me pressoit auec vne importunité si audacieuse, que ie
ne le pouuois souffrir, tous les autres sembloient me vouloir manger,
quand ie leur en refusois: i'auois beau leur dire qu'ils n'auoient
point de consideration, que ie leur en auois plus donné trois fois
que ie ne m'estois reserué; vous voyez, leur disois-ie, que i'ayme
vostre langue, & qu'il faut que ie l'achepte auec cét argent, que s'il
me manque on ne m'enseignera pas vn mot, vous voyez que s'il me faut
vn verre d'eau, il faut que i'en aille chercher bien loing, ou que
ie dõne vn bout de petun à vn enfant pour m'en aller querir; vous me
dites que le petun rassasie, si la famine qui nous presse cõtinuë, i'en
[266] veux faire l'experience, laissez moy ce peu que i'ay de reserue,
il me fut impossible de resister à leur importunité, il fallut tirer
iusques au bout, ce ne fut pas sans estonnement de voir des personnes
si passionnées pour de la fumée.
 
[265] I brought some tobacco with me, but not for myself, as I
do not use it. I have given liberally, according to my store,
to several Savages, saving some to draw from the Apostate a few
words of his language, for he would not say a word if I did not
pay him with this money. When our people had consumed what I had
given them, and what they had of their own, I had no more peace.
The Sorcerer was so annoying in his demands for it, that I could
not endure him; and all the others acted as if they wanted to
eat me, when I refused them. In vain I told them that they had
no consideration, that I had given them more than three times as
much as I had reserved for myself. "You see," I said to them,
"that I love your language and that I must buy it with this money,
for if it is lacking no one will teach me a word; you see if I
have to have a glass of water, I must go a long way to get it,
or I must give a bit of tobacco to a child to get it for me; you
tell me that tobacco satisfies hunger; if the famine which now
presses us continues, I wish [266] to experiment with it, so leave
me the little I have in reserve." It was impossible to resist
their teasing, and I had to draw out the last bit, not without
astonishment at seeing people so passionately fond of smoke.
 
Le sixiesme du mesme mois, nous délogeasmes pour la cinquiesme fois, il
m'arriua vne disgrace au départ, au lieu de prẽdre le vray chemin, ie
me iettay dans vn autre que nos chasseurs auoient fort battu, ie vay
donc fort loing sans prendre garde que ie me perdois, ayant fait une
longue traitte, ie m'apperceu que mon chemin se diuisoit en cinq ou six
autres, qui tiroient qui deçà, qui delà, me voila demeuré tout court,
il y auoit vn petit enfant qui m'auoit suiuy, ie ne l'osois quitter,
car auss[i]-tost il se mettoit à pleurer, i'enfilay tantost l'vn,
tantost l'autre de ces sentiers, & voyant qu'ils tournoient çà & là,
& qu'ils n'estoient marquez que d'vne sorte de raquette, ie concluds
que ces chemins ne conduisoient point au lieu où mes Sauuages alloient
cabaner, ie ne sçauois que faire du petit garçon: car s'estant apperceu
de nostre erreur il ne m'osoit [267] perdre de veuë sans se pasmer;
d'ailleurs n'ayant qu'enuiron six ans il ne me pouuoit pas suiure,
car ie doublois mes pas: ie m'aduisay de luy laisser mon manteau pour
marque que ie retournerois, si ie trouuois nostre vray chemin, luy
faisant signe qu'il m'attendist, car nous ne nous attendions pas l'vn
l'autre: ie iettay donc mon manteau sur la neige, & m'en reuay sur
mes brisées criant de temps en temps pour me faire entendre de nos
gens, si tant est que le bon chemin ne fust pas loing de moy; ie crie,
i'appelle dans ces grands bois, personne ne répond, tout est dans vn
profond silence, les arbres mesme ne faisoient aucun bruit, car il ne
faisoit point de vent: le froid estoit si violent que ie m'attendois
infailliblemẽt de mourir la nuit au cas qu'il me la fallust passer
sur la neige, n'ayant ny hache ny fusil pour faire du feu; ie vay,
ie viens, ie tourne de tous costez, ie ne trouue rien qui ne m'égare
dauantage: la derniere chose que l'homme quitte c'est l'esperance,
ie la tenois tousiours par vn petit bout, me figurant à toute heure
que i'allois trouuer mon chemin; mais enfin apres [268] auoir bien
tourné, voyant que les creatures ne me pouuoient donner aucun secours,
ie m'arrestay pour presẽter mes petites prieres au Createur dont ie
voyois ces grands bois tout remplis aussi bien que le reste du monde:
il me vint vne pensée que ie n'estois pas perdu, puis que Dieu sçauoit
bien où i'estois, & ruminant ceste verité en mon esprit, ie tire
doucement vers le fleuue que i'auois trauersé au sortir de la cabane,
ie crie, i'appelle de rechef, tout le monde estoit desia bien loing;
ie commençois desia à laisser cheoir de mes mains le petit filet de
l'esperance que i'auois tenu iusques alors, quand i'aduisay quelques
vestiges de raquette derriere des broussailles, ie m'y transporte, _&
vidi vestigia virorum, & mulierum & infantium_, en vn mot ie trouue ce
que i'auois cherché fort long-temps, au commencement ie n'estois pas
asseuré que c'estoit là vn bon chemin, voila pourquoy ie me diligentay
de le recognoistre: estant desia bien auancé ie trouue l'Apostat qui
nous venoit chercher, il me demanda où estoit ce petit enfant, ie luy
repars que ie l'auois laissé [269] aupres de mon manteau: i'ay, me
dit-il, trouué vostre manteau & l'ay reporté à la nouuelle cabane; mais
ie n'ay point veu l'enfant: me voila bien estonné, de l'aller chercher,
c'estoit me perdre vne autre fois; ie prie l'Apostat d'y aller, il fit
la sourde oreille, ie tire droit à la cabane pour en donner aduis, où
enfin i'arriuay tout brisé & tout moulu pour la difficulté & pour la
longueur des chemins que i'auois fait sans trouuer hostellerie que des
ruisseaux glacez: si tost que les Sauuages me virent ils me demandent
où estoit le petit garçon, crians que ie l'auois perdu, ie leur raconte
l'histoire, les asseurants que ie luy auois laissé tout exprez mon
manteau pour l'aller retrouuer, mais ayant quitté ce lieu là, ie ne
sçauois où l'aller chercher, veu mesmement que ie n'en pouuois plus,
n'ayant point mangé depuis le grand matin, & deux ou trois bouchées de
boucan tant seulement, on me donna pour reconfort vn peu d'eau glacée,
que ie fis chauffer dans vn chaudron fort sale, ce fut tout mon souper:
car nos chasseurs n'ayans rien pris il fallut ieusner ce iour là.
[270] Pour l'enfant, deux femmes m'ayans ouy depeindre l'endroit où ie
l'auois laissé, coniecturant où il auoit tiré, l'allerent chercher,
& le trouuerent. Il ne faut pas s'estonner si vn François se perd
quelquesfois dans ces forests, i'ay veu de nos plus habiles Sauuages
s'y esgarer plus d'vn iour entier.
 
On the sixth of the same month we broke camp for the fifth time.
I had a mishap at our departure, for, instead of taking the right
road, I started upon another that had been well beaten down by our
hunters, and so I went some distance without perceiving that I was
lost. After a long stage, I observed that the way divided into five
or six others, which led in several directions. So I was brought
to a standstill. There was a little child who had followed me, and
whom I did not dare to leave, for it would at once begin to cry. I
followed first one and then another of these paths; and seeing that
they wound here and there, and that they were marked by only one
kind of snowshoe, I concluded that these ways did not lead to the
place where my Savages were going to encamp. I did not know what to
do with the little boy; for, having found out our mistake, he did
not dare [267] lose me out of his sight without going into spasms;
and besides, as he was only about six years old, he could not keep
up with me as I increased my speed. I decided to leave him my
cloak, to show that I intended to return, if I found the right way,
making him a sign that he should wait, for we did not understand
each other. So I threw my cloak upon the snow, and retraced my
steps, crying out from time to time to make myself heard by our
people, in case the right road was not far away from me. I shout
and halloo in these great forests, but no one answers; the silence
is profound, for even the trees do not rustle, as there is no
wind. The cold was so severe that I was sure I would die during
the night, if I had to pass it upon the snow, having neither axe
nor tinder with which to make a fire. I go, I come, I turn on all
sides; but I find nothing which does not confuse me still more. The
last thing that a man abandons is hope; I continued to hold on to

댓글 없음: