2016년 9월 27일 화요일

The Jesuit Relations and Allied Documents 18

The Jesuit Relations and Allied Documents 18


Le 28. du mesme mois, nous decampasmes pour la troisiesme fois, il
neigeoit fort, mais la necessité nous pressant le mauuais temps ne peut
nous arrester. Ie fus bien estonné en cette troisiesme demeure que ie
ne vis point apporter la malade, ie n'osois demander ce qu'elle [257]
estoit deuenuë, car ils ne veulent pas qu'on parle des morts: sur le
soir i'accostay le Renegat, ie luy demanday parlant François où estoit
ceste pauure femme, s'il ne l'auoit point tuée, voyant qu'elle s'en
alloit mourir, cõme il auoit autrefois assommé à coups de bastons vne
pauure fille qui tiroit à la mort, ainsi que luy mesme l'auoit raconté
à nos François. Non, dit-il, ie ne l'ay pas tuée: qui donc, luy fis
ie, est-ce le ieune Hiroquois? Nenny, me répond-il, car il est party
de grand matin: c'est donc mon hoste, ou le Sorcier son mary; car elle
parloit encor quand ie suis sorty ce matin de la cabane, il baissa la
teste, m'aduoüãt tacitement que l'vn des deux l'auoit mise à mort:
vn vieillard m'a ceneãtmoins dit depuis, qu'elle mourut de sa mort
naturelle vn peu apres que ie fus party, ie m'en rapporte à ce qui en
est, quoy que s'en soit ayant refusé de recognoistre le Fils de Dieu
pour son Pasteur pendant sa vie, il n'est que trop probable qu'il ne
l'a pas recogneuë pour vne de ses oüailles, après sa mort.
 
On the 28th of the same month, we broke camp for the third time. It
was snowing hard; but, with necessity urging us on, the bad weather
could not stop us. I was surprised, in this third halt, not to
see them bring the invalid; but I did not dare ask what [257] had
become of her, for they do not want any one to mention the dead. In
the evening, I went to the Renegade, and asked him in French where
this poor woman was,--if he had not killed her, seeing her about
to die, as he had once before killed with blows from a club a poor
girl who was on the point of death, which he himself had related
to our French. "No," said he, "I have not killed her." "Who has
then," said I, "is it the young Hiroquois?" "No, no," he answered,
"for he went away very early this morning." "It is then my host,
or the Sorcerer her husband, for she was still able to talk when I
left the cabin this morning." He bowed his head, admitting tacitly
that one of them had put her to death. But, since then, an old man
has told me that she died a natural death a little while after I
departed. I am unable to say which is correct; but, at all events,
as she refused to recognize the son of God as her Shepherd during
her life, it is no more than probable that he refused to recognize
her as one of his flock after death.
 
I'ay remarqué iusques icy de trois sortes de medecines naturelles parmy
les [258] Sauuages, l'vne c'est leur suërie, dont i'ay parlé cy-dessus,
l'autre consiste à se taillader legerement la partie du corps qui
leur fait mal, la mettant toute en sang qu'ils font sortir de ces
decoupeures en assez grande abondance, ils se seruirent vne fois de mon
canif pour taillader la teste d'vn enfant de dix iours. La troisiesme
de ces medecines est composée de racleure d'écorces interieures de
bouleau, du moins cet arbre me sembloit tel, ils font boüillir ces
racleures dans de l'eau, qu'ils boiuent par apres pour se faire vomir,
ils m'ont souuent voulu donner ceste potion pendant que i'estois
malade, mais ie ne la iugeois pas à mon vsage.
 
Up to the present I have observed three kinds of natural medicines
among the [258] Savages. One of these is their sweat-box, of which
I have spoken above; the second consists in making a slight gash
in the part of the body where the pain is, covering it with blood
which they make issue from these cuts quite abundantly. They once
made use of my penknife to cut the head of a child ten days old.
The third of these medicines is composed of the scrapings of the
inside bark of the birch, at least it seems to be this tree. They
boil these scrapings in water, which they afterwards drink to make
them vomit. They often wanted me to drink this potion when I was
sick, but I did not think it would agree with me.
 
Le iour de sainct François Xauier, nostre pretendu Magicien ayant
sur le soir battu son tambour, & bien hurlé à l'ordinaire, car il ne
manquoit point de nous donner ceste aubade toutes les nuits à nostre
premier sommeil, voyant que tout le monde estoit endormy, & cognoissant
que ce pauure homme faisoit ce tintamare pour sa guarison. I'entray
en discours auec luy, ie commençay par vn témoignage de grand amour
[259] en son endroit, & par des loüanges que ie luy iettay comme
vne amorce pour le prendre dans les filets de la verité. Ie luy fis
entendre que si vn esprit capable des choses grandes comme le sien
cognoissoit Dieu, que tous les Sauuages induis par son exemple le
voudroient aussi cognoistre, aussi tost il prit l'essor, & se mit à
declarer la puissance, l'authorité & le credit qu'il a sur l'esprit
de ses compatriotes, il dit que dés sa ieunesse les Sauuages luy
donnerent le nom de _Khimouchouminau_, c'est à dire nostre ayeul &
nostre maistre, que tout passe par ses aduis, & que chacun suit ses
conseils, ie l'aydois à se loüer le mieux que ie pouuois: car il est
vray qu'il a de belles parties pour vn Sauuage: enfin ie luy dis que
ie m'estonnois qu'vn homme de iugement ne peut recognoistre le peu de
rapport qu'il y a entre ce tintamare & la santé. Quand tu as bien crié
& bien battu ton tambour, que fait ce bruit sinon de t'estourdir la
teste, pas vn Sauuage n'est malade, qu'on ne luy batte les oreilles de
ce tambour, afin qu'il ne meure point, en as-tu veu de dispensez de la
mort; ie te veux faire [260] vne proposition: Escoute moy patiemment,
luy dis-ie, bas ton tambour dix iours durant, chante & faits chanter
les autres tant que tu voudras, fais tout ce qui sera en ton possible
pour recouurer ta santé, si tu n'en guary dans ce temps-là, confesse
que ton tintamare, que tes hurlemens, & que tes chansons ne te
sçauroient remettre en santé, abstiens toy dix autres iours de toutes
ces superstitions, quitte ton tambour, & tous ces bruits dereglez,
demande au Dieu que i'adore, qu'il te donne sa cognoissance, pense &
crois que ton ame doit passer à vne autre vie que celle-cy, efforce toy
d'aymer son bien cõme tu ayme le bien de ton corps, & quand tu auras
passé ces dix autres derniers iours en ceste façon, ie me retireray
trois iours durant en oraison dans vne petite cabane qu'on fera plus
auant dans le bois, là ie prieray mon Dieu qu'il te donne la santé du
corps & de l'ame, toy seul me viendras voir au temps que ie diray, & tu
feras de tout ton cœur les prieres que ie t'enseigneray; promettant à
Dieu que s'il luy plaist de te rendre la santé, tu appelleras tous les
Sauuages de ce lieu, & en [261] leur presence tu brusleras ton tambour,
& toutes les autres badineries dont tu te sers pour les amasser, que tu
leur diras que le Dieu des Chrestiens est le vray Dieu, qu'ils croyẽt
en luy, & qu'ils luy obeïssent, si tu promets cecy veritablement & de
cœur, i'espere que tu seras deliuré de ta maladie, car mon Dieu est
tout puissant.
 
On the day of saint François Xavier, our pretended Magician began
in the evening to beat his drum and to utter his howls as usual;
for he did not fail to give us this entertainment every night at
our first sleep. I saw that every one was asleep, and, knowing that
this poor man made all this racket in order to cure himself, I
entered into conversation with him. I began by expressing a great
deal of affection [259] for him, and by heaping praises upon him,
as bait to draw him into the nets of truth. I made him understand
that if a mind as capable of great things as his was, should know
God, that all the Savages, influenced by his example, would like to
know him also. He immediately began to soar, and to talk about the
power, the authority, and the influence he had over the minds of
his fellow-savages. He said that since his youth they had given him
the name, _Khimouchouminau_, meaning, "our sire and our master;"
that everything was done according to his opinion, and that they
all followed his advice. I helped in this self-praise as well
as I could, for he has indeed some good qualities for a Savage. I
finally told him that I was surprised that a man of judgment could
not realize that there was little connection between this uproar
and health. "When thou hast screamed and beaten thy drum with all
thy might, what good does it do except to make thy head dizzy? No
Savage is sick, whose ears they do not deafen with this drum, to
keep him from dying; yet hast thou ever seen it dispel death? I am
going to make a proposal [260] to thee, listen to me patiently,"
I said to him. "Beat thy drum for ten days, sing and make all the
others sing as much as thou wilt, do all thou canst to recover thy
health, and if thou art not cured in that time confess that thy
din, howls and songs cannot restore thee to health. Now abstain
ten more days from all these superstitions; give up thy drum, and
all these wild noises; ask of the God whom I adore that he give
thee knowledge of himself; reflect, and believe that thy soul must
pass to a life other than this; endeavor to interest thyself in
its welfare as thou dost in the welfare of thy body; and when thou
shalt have passed these last ten days in this way, I will withdraw
for three days to pray in a little cabin that shall be made farther
back in the woods. There I will pray my God to give thee health of
body and of soul; thou alone shalt come to see me at the time I
shall indicate, and thou shalt say with all thy heart the prayers I
will teach thee--promising God that, if it pleases him to restore
thee thy health, thou wilt call together all the Savages of the
place, and in [261] their presence thou wilt burn thy drum and
all the other silly stuff that thou usest to bring them together,
saying to them that the God of the Christians is the true God,
that they must believe in him and obey him. If thou promise this
truthfully and from thy heart, I hope that thou wilt be delivered
from thy disease, for my God is all-powerful."
 
Or comme cét homme est tres desireux de recouurer sa santé, il ouurit
les oreilles, & me dit, ton discours est fort bon, i'accepte les
conditions que tu me donne; mais commence le premier, retire toy en
oraison, & dis à ton Dieu qu'il me guarisse, car c'est par là qu'il
faut commencer, & puis ie feray tout ce que tu m'as prescrit: ie ne
cõmenceray point, luy reparty-ie, car si tu estois guary, pendant que
ie prierois tu attribuerois ta santé à ton tambour, que tu n'aurois
pas quitté; & non pas au Dieu que i'adore, lequel seul te peut guarir;
non, me dit-il, ie ne croiray pas que cela vienne de mon tambour, i'ay
chanté & fait tout ce que ie sçauois, & n'ay peu sauuer la vie à pas
vn; moy-mesme estãt malade ie fais ioüer pour me guarir tous [262]
les ressorts de mon art, & me voila plus mal que iamais; i'ay employé
toutes mes inuentions pour sauuer la vie à mes enfans, notamment au
dernier qui est mort depuis peu, & pour conseruer ma femme qui vient de
trespasser, tout cela ne m'a point reüssi, & partant si tu me guaris,
ie n'attribueray point ma santé à mon tambour, ny à mes chansons. Ie
luy répondis que ie ne pouuois pas le guarir; mais que mon Dieu pouuoit
tout, qu'au reste il ne falloit point faire de marché auec luy, ny luy
prescrire des conditions comme il faisoit, disant qu'il me guarisse
premierement, & puis ie croiray en luy: dispose toy, luy fis ie, de
ton costé, & sa bonté ne te manquera pas, que s'il ne te donne la santé
du corps, il te donnera la santé de l'ame qui est incomparablement plus
à priser. Ne me parle point de l'ame, me repart-il, c'est de quoy ie
ne me soucie pas: voila (me monstrant sa chair) ce que i'ayme, c'est
le corps que ie cheris, pour l'ame ie ne la voy point, en arriue ce
qui pourra. As tu de l'esprit, luy fis-ie? tu parle comme les bestes,
les chiens n'ayment que les corps; celuy qui a fait le Soleil [263]
pour t'éclairer, n'a-il rien preparé de plus grand à ton ame, qu'à
l'ame d'vn chien? Si tu n'ayme que ton corps tu perdras le corps &
l'ame, si vne beste pouuoit parler elle ne parleroit que de son corps
& de sa chair, n'as-tu rien par dessus les bestes qui sont faites pour
te seruir? n'ayme-tu que la chair & le sang? ton ame est-elle l'ame
d'vn chien que tu la traite auec vn tel mépris? peut estre que tu
dis vray, me répond-il, & qu'il y a quelque chose de bon en l'autre
vie: mais nous autres en ce pays-cy n'en sçauons rien, que si tu me
rends la santé ie feray ce que tu voudras. Ce pauure miserable ne
peut iamais releuer sa pensée plus haut que la terre: ne voyant donc
aucune disposition en cét esprit superbe, qui croyoit pouuoir obliger
Dieu, s'il croyoit en luy, ie le quittay pour lors, & me retiray pour
reposer, car il estoit bien auant dans la nuit.
 
Now as this man is very desirous of recovering his health, he
opened his ears, and said to me, "Thy discourse is very good, I
accept the conditions that thou givest; but thou begin first, go
away and pray, and tell thy God to cure me, for with that we must
begin; then I will do all that thou hast prescribed for me." "I
shall not begin it," I replied to him, "for if thou get back thy
health while I would be praying, thou wouldst be attributing thy
recovery to thy drum, which thou wouldst not have given up, and
not to the God whom I adore, who alone can cure thee." "No," he
replied, "I shall not think it has come from my drum; I have sung
and have done all I could, yet I have not been able to save the
life of one man; I myself am sick, and to cure myself have made
use of all [262] the resources of my art; and behold I am worse
than ever. I have used all my inventions to save the lives of my
children, especially of the last one who died only a short time
ago, and to save my wife, who has just passed away, yet all this
has not succeeded; so if thou curest me I shall not attribute my
health to my drum nor to my songs." I answered him that I could

댓글 없음: