2016년 9월 27일 화요일

The Jesuit Relations and Allied Documents 16

The Jesuit Relations and Allied Documents 16


These little ones have their load, or their sledge, to accustom
them early to fatigue; and they try to stimulate them to see who
will carry or drag the most. To paint to you the hardships of the
way, I have neither pen nor brush that could do it; they must be
experienced in order to be appreciated, and [245] this dish must be
tried to know how it tastes. We did nothing but go up and go down;
frequently we had to bend halfway over, to pass under partly-fallen
trees, and step over others lying upon the ground whose branches
sometimes knocked us over, gently enough to be sure, but always
coldly, for we fell upon the snow. If it happened to thaw, Oh God,
what suffering! It seemed to me I was walking over a road of glass,
which broke under my feet at every step. The frozen snow, beginning
to melt, would fall and break into blocks or big pieces, into
which we often sank up to our knees, and sometimes to our waists.
If there was pain in falling, there was still more in pulling
ourselves out, for our raquettes were loaded with snow, and became
so heavy that, when we tried to draw them out, it seemed as if
somebody were tugging at our legs to dismember us. I have seen some
who slid so far under the logs buried in the snow, that they could
not pull out either their legs or their snowshoes without help. Now
imagine [246] a person loaded like a mule, and judge how easy is
the life of the Savage.
 
En France dans la difficulté des voyages encor trouue-on quelques
villages pour se rafraischir, & pour se fortifier; mais les
hostelleries que nous rencontrions, & où nous beuuions, n'estoient que
des ruisseaux, encor falloit il rompre la glace pour en tirer de l'eau;
il est vray que nous ne faisions pas de longues traites, aussi nous
eust il esté tout à fait impossible.
 
In the discomforts of a journey in France, villages are found
where one can refresh and fortify one's self; but the inns that
we encountered and where we drank, were only brooks; we even had
to break the ice in order to get some water. It is true that we
did not make long stages, which would indeed have been absolutely
impossible for us.
 
Estans arriuez au lieu où nous deuions camper, les femmes alloient
couper les perches pour dresser la cabane, les hommes vuidoient la
neige, comme ie l'ay plus amplement déduit au Chapitre precedent: or
il falloit trauailler à ce bastiment, ou bien trembler de froid trois
grosses heures sur la neige en attendant qu'il fut fait, ie mettois par
fois la main à l'œuure pour m'échauffer, mais i'estois pour l'ordinaire
tellement glacé que le feu seul me pouuoit dégeler; les Sauuages en
estoient estonnez: car ils suoient soubs le trauail, leur témoignant
quelquefois que i'auois grãd [247] froid, ils me disoient, donne tes
mains que nous voyons si tu dis vray, & les trouuans toutes glacées,
touchez de compassion ils me donnoient leurs mitaines échauffées, &
prenoient les miennes toutes froides: iusque là que mõ hoste apres
auoir experimenté cecy plusieurs fois, me dit _Nicanis_ n'hyuerne
plus auec les Sauuages, car ils te tuëront; il vouloit dire, comme ie
pense, que ie tõberois malade & que ne pouuant estre traisné auec le
bagage, qu'on me feroit mourir, ie me mis à rire, & luy reparty qu'il
me vouloit épouuenter.
 
When we reached the place where we were to encamp, the women went
to cut the poles for the cabin, and the men to clear away the snow,
as I have stated more fully in the preceding Chapter. Now a person
had to work at this building, or shiver with cold for three long
hours upon the snow, waiting until it was finished. Sometimes I put
my hand to the work to warm myself, but usually I was so frozen
that fire alone could thaw me. The Savages were surprised at this,
for they often sweat under the work. Assuring them now and then
that I was very [247] cold, they would say to me, "Give us thy
hands that we may see if thou tellest the truth;" and, finding them
quite frozen, touched with compassion, they gave me their warm
mittens and took my cold ones. This went so far, that my host,
after having tried it several times, said to me, "_Nicanis_, do not
winter any more with the Savages, for they will kill thee." I think
he meant that I would fall ill, and, as I could not be dragged
along with the baggage, they would kill me; I began to laugh, and
told him that he was trying to frighten me.
 
La cabane estant faite, ou sur la nuit, ou vn peu deuant, on parloit
de disner & de souper tout ensemble: car sortant le matin apres auoir
mangé vn petit morceau, il falloit auoir patience qu'on fut arriué &
que l'hostellerie fust faite pour y loger, & pour y manger, mais le
pis estoit que ce iour là nos gens n'allans point ordinairement à la
chasse, c'estoit pour nous vn iour de ieusne aussi bien qu'vn iour de
trauail. C'est trop retarder venons à nostre station.
 
The cabin finished, either toward nightfall or a little before,
they began to talk about dinner and supper all in one, for as we
had departed in the morning after having eaten a small morsel, we
had to have patience to reach our destination and to wait until
the hotel was erected, in order to lodge and eat there. But,
unfortunately, on this particular day, our people did not usually
go hunting; and so it was for us a day of fasting as well as a day
of work. We have delayed long enough, let us come to our station.
 
Nous quittasmes les riues du grand fleuue le 12. de Nouembre, comme
i'ay [248] desia dit, & vinsmes cabaner pres d'vn torrent, faisans
chemin à la façon que ie viens de dire, chacun portant son fardeau.
Tous les Sauuages se mocquoient de moy de ce que ie n'estois pas bon
cheual de male, me contentant de porter mon manteau qui estoit assez
pesant, vn petit sac où ie mettois mes menuës necessitez & leurs
gausseries, qui ne me pesoient pas tant que mon corps, voila ma charge:
mon hoste & l'Apostat portoient sur des bastons croisez en forme de
brancard la femme du Sorcier qui estoit fort malade, ils la mettoient
sur la neige en attendant que la cabane fut faite, où elle passoit plus
de trois heures sans feu, & sans iamais se plaindre, & sans monstrer
aucun signe d'impatience, ie me mettois plus en peine d'elle qu'elle
mesme: car ie criois souuent qu'on fit faire pour le moins vn peu de
feu aupres d'elle, mais la réponse estoit qu'elle se chaufferoit la
cabane estant faite: ces barbares sont faits à ces souffrances, ils
s'attẽdent bien que s'ils tombent malades qu'on les traittera à mesme
monnoye. Nous seiournasmes trois iours en ceste station, pendant
lesquels [249] voicy vne partie des choses que i'ay marqué dans mon
memoire.
 
We left the banks of the great river on the 12th of November, as
I have [248] said, and pitched our camp near a torrent, traveling
in the way I have just described, each one carrying his pack. All
the Savages made sport of me because I was not a good pack horse,
being satisfied to carry my cloak, which was heavy enough; a small
bag in which I kept my little necessaries; and their sneers, which
were not as heavy as my body; and this was my load. My host and the
Apostate carried upon poles, crossed in the form of a stretcher,
the wife of the Sorcerer, who was very sick; they placed her on the
snow, while waiting for the cabin to be made, and there she passed
more than three hours without fire, and did not once complain nor
show any sign of impatience. I was more troubled about her than
she was about herself, for I often appealed to them to make at
least a little fire near her; but the answer was that she would get
warm when the cabin was made. These savages are hardened to such
sufferings; they expect if they fall sick to be paid in the same
coin. We sojourned three days at this station; and the following
[249] are some of the things I noted down in my memoirs during this
time.
 
C'est icy que les Sauuages consulterent les genies du iour, en la façon
que i'ay couché au Chapitre quatriesme: or comme ie m'estois ris de
ceste superstition, & qu'à toutes les occasions qui se rencontroient,
ie faisois voir que les mysteres du Sorcier n'estoient que ieux
d'enfans, m'efforçant de luy rauir ses oüailles pour les rendre auec
le temps à celuy qui les a rachetées au prix de son sang, cét homme
forcené fit le iour d'apres ceste consulte, que ie vay décrire.
 
It was here that the Savages consulted their genii of light, in the
manner I have described in Chapter four. Now as I had always shown
my amusement at this superstition, and on all possible occasions
had made them see that the mysteries of the Sorcerer were nothing
but child's play,--endeavoring to carry off his flock so that, in
time, I might deliver them up to him who had bought them with his
blood,--this unscrupulous man, the day afterward, went through with
the performance I am going to describe.
 
Mõ hoste ayãt inuité au festin tous les Sauuages nos voisins, comme
ils estoiẽt desia venus, & assis à l'entour du feu & de la chaudiere,
attendans l'ouuerture du banquet, voila que le Sorcier qui estoit
couché vis à vis de moy se leue tout à coup, n'ayant point encor parlé
depuis la venuë des conuiez, il paroist tout furieux, se iettant sur
vne des perches de la cabane pour l'arracher, il la rompt en deux
pieces, il roule les yeux en la teste, regardant çà & là comme vn
homme hors de soy, puis enuisageant les [250] assistans, il leur dit
_Iriniticou nama Nitirinisin_, ô hommes i'ay perdu l'esprit, ie ne
sçay où ie suis, esloignez de moy les haches & les espées, car ie suis
hors du sens. A ces paroles tous les Sauuages baissent les yeux en
terre, & ie les leue au ciel, d'où i'attendois secours, me figurant que
cét homme faisoit l'enragé pour se vanger de moy, en m'ostant la vie,
ou du moins pour m'épouuenter, afin de me reprocher par apres que mon
Dieu me manquoit au besoin, & de publier parmy les siens, qu'ayant si
souuent témoigné que ie ne craignois pas leur _Manitou_, qui les fait
trembler, ie pallissois deuant vn homme. Tant s'en faut que la peur qui
dans les dangers d'vne mort naturelle me faisoit quelquefois rentrer
dans moy-mesme, me saisit pour lors, qu'au contraire i'enuisageois ce
forcené auec autant d'asseurance que si i'eusse eu vne armée à mes
costez, me representant que le Dieu que i'adorois pouuoit lier les
bras aux fols & aux enragez aussi bien qu'aux demons: qu'au reste si
sa Majesté me vouloit ouurir les portes de la mort, par les mains d'vn
homme qui faisoit l'endiablé, que [251] sa Prouidence estoit tousiours
aymable. Ce Thrason redoublant ces fougues fit mille actions de fol,
d'ensorcelé, de demoniaque, tantost il crioit à pleine teste, puis il
demeuroit tout court comme épouuanté: il faisoit mine de pleurer, puis
il s'éclattoit de rire comme vn diable follet; il chantoit sans regles
ny sans mesures, il sifloit comme vn serpent, il hurloit comme vn loup,
ou comme vn chien, il faisoit du hibou & du chathuan, tournant les yeux
tout effarez dedans sa teste, prenant mille postures, faisant tousiours
semblant de chercher quelque chose pour la lancer, i'attendois à tous
coups qu'il arrachast quelque perche pour m'en assommer, ou qu'il se
iettast sur moy, ie ne laissay pas neantmoins pour luy monstrer que ie
ne m'estonnois pas de ses diableries, de faire toutes mes actions à
l'ordinaire de lire, d'écrire, de faire mes petites prieres, & l'heure
de mon sommeil estant venuë ie me couchay & reposay aussi paisiblement
dans son sabbat comme i'eusse fait dans vn profond silence, i'estois
déja aussi accoustumé de m'endormir à ses cris, & à ses bruits de [252]
tambour, qu'vn enfant aux chansons de sa nourisse.
 
My host having invited all the neighboring Savages to the feast,
when they had come and seated themselves around the fire and the
kettle, waiting for the banquet to be opened, lo, the Sorcerer, who
had been lying down opposite me, suddenly arose, not yet having
uttered a word since the arrival of the guests. He seemed to be
in an awful fury, and threw himself upon one of the poles of the
cabin to tear it out; he broke it in two, rolled his eyes around
in his head, looked here and there like a man out of his senses,
then facing those [250] present, he said to them, _Iriniticou nama
Nitirinisin_, "Oh, men, I have lost my mind, I do not know where
I am; take the hatchets and javelins away from me, for I am out
of my senses." At these words all the Savages lowered their eyes
to the ground, and I raised mine to heaven, whence I expected
help,--imagining that this man was acting the madman in order to
take revenge on me, to take my life or at least to frighten me,
so that he could reproach me afterwards that my God had failed me
in time of need, and to proclaim among his people, that I, who had
so often testified that I did not fear their _Manitou_, who makes
them tremble, had turned pale before a man. So far was I from being
seized by fear which, in the dangers of a natural death, makes me
shrink within myself, that, on the contrary, I faced this furious
man with as much assurance as if I had had an army at my side,
reflecting that the God whom I adored could bind the arms of fools
and madmen as well as those of demons; that besides, if his Majesty
wished to open to me the portals of death by the hands of a man who
was acting the devil, [251] his Providence was always loving and
kind. This Thraso [braggart], redoubling his furies, did a thousand
foolish acts of a lunatic or of one bewitched; sometimes he would

댓글 없음: