2016년 9월 27일 화요일

The Jesuit Relations and Allied Documents 17

The Jesuit Relations and Allied Documents 17


cry out at the top of his voice, and then would suddenly stop
short, as if frightened; he pretended to cry, and then burst into
laughter like a wanton devil; he sang without rules and without
measure, he hissed like a serpent, he howled like a wolf, or like
a dog, he screeched like an owl or a night hawk,--rolling his eyes
about in his head and striking a thousand attitudes, always seeming
to be looking for something to throw. I was expecting every moment
he would tear up one of the poles with which to strike me down, or
that he would throw himself upon me; but in order to show him that
I was not at all astonished at these devilish acts, I continued, in
my usual way, to read, write and say my little prayers; and when
my hour for retiring came, I lay down and rested as peacefully
through his orgies, as I would have done in a profound silence; I
was already as accustomed to go to sleep in the midst of his cries
and the sound of his [252] drum, as a child is to the songs of its
nurse.
 
Le lendemain au soir à mesme heure il sembla vouloir entrer dans les
mesmes fougues, & donner vne autrefois l'alarme au camp, disant qu'il
perdoit l'esprit, le voyant desia demy fol, il me vint vne pensée qu'il
pourroit estre trauaillé de quelque fiévre chaude, ie l'aborde & luy
prens le bras pour luy toucher l'artere, il me regarde affreusemẽt,
faisant de l'estõné, comme si ie luy eusse apporté des nouuelles de
l'autre monde, il roule les yeux çà & là comme vn insensé: luy ayant
touché le poulx & le front ie le trouuay frais comme vn poisson, &
aussi éloigné de la fiévre comme i'estois de France, cela me confirma
dans mon opinion qu'il faisoit de l'enragé pour m'estonner, & pour
tirer à compassion tous ses gens qui dans nostre disette luy donnoient
ce qu'ils pouuoient auoir de meilleur.
 
The next evening, at the same hour he seemed disposed to enter into
the same infuriated state, and to again alarm the camp, saying that
he was losing his mind. Seeing him already half-mad, it occurred
to me that he might be suffering from some violent fever; I went
up to him and took hold of his arm to feel the artery; he gave me
a frightful look, seeming to be astonished, and acting as if I had
brought him news from the other world, rolling his eyes here and
there like one possessed. Having touched his pulse and forehead, I
found him as cool as a fish, and as far from fever as I was from
France. This confirmed me in my suspicion that he was acting the
madman to frighten me, and to draw down upon himself the compassion
of all our people, who in our dearth, were giving him the best they
had.
 
Le 20. du mesme mois de Nouembre ne se trouuans plus de Castors, ny de
Porcs-espics en nostre quartier, nous tirasmes pays, & ce fut nostre
deuxiesme station, on porta la femme du Sorcier [253] sur vn brancart,
& la mit-on, comme i'ay desia dit, dessus la neige en attendant
que nostre palais fût dressé, ce pendant ie m'approchay d'elle luy
témoignant beaucoup de compassion: il y auoit desia quelques iours
que ie taschois de gagner son affection, afin qu'elle me prestast plus
volontiers l'oreille, cognoissant bien qu'elle ne pouuoit pas viure
long-temps, car elle estoit comme vne squelette, n'ayant quasi plus la
force de parler, quand elle appelloit quelqu'vn la nuit, ie me leuois
moy mesme, & l'éueillois, ie luy faisois du feu, ie luy demandois
ce dont elle auoit besoin, elle me cõmandoit de petites chosettes,
comme de fermer les portes ou boucher quelque trou de la cabane qui
l'incõmodoit, apres ces menus discours & offices de charité, ie
l'aborday, & luy demãday si elle ne vouloit pas bien croire en celuy
qui a tout faict, & que son ame apres sa mort seroit bien-heureuse. Au
commencement elle me répondit qu'elle n'auoit point veu Dieu, & que ie
luy fisse voir, autrement qu'elle ne pouuoit croire en luy, elle auoit
tiré ceste réponse de la bouche de sõ mary, Ie luy repartis qu'elle
[254] croyoit plusieurs choses qu'elle ne voyoit pas, & qu'au reste son
ame seroit bruslée pour vne eternité si elle n'obeïssoit à celuy qui
a tout fait; elle s'adoucit petit à petit, & me témoigna qu'elle luy
vouloit obeïr, ie n'osois l'entretenir long temps, mais seulement par
reprises, ceux qui me voyoient me crians que ie la laissasse.
 
On the 20th of the same month of November, finding no more Beavers
and Porcupines in our quarter, we resumed our journey, this being
our second station. The Sorcerer's wife was carried [253] upon
a stretcher, and they placed her, as I have already said, upon
the snow until our palace was erected. Meanwhile I approached
her, showing how greatly I sympathized with her; already for some
days I had been trying to gain her affection, that she might more
willingly listen to me; I knew that she could not live long, as
she was like a skeleton, hardly having strength enough to talk.
When she called some one in the night, I arose and awoke him, I
made fires for her, I asked her if she was in need of anything;
she had me do little things for her, such as closing the door, or
stopping up a hole in the cabin which annoyed her. After these
little conversations and acts of charity, I approached and asked
her if she did not want to believe in him who has made all, so that
her soul after death would be blest. At first she answered that she
had not seen God, and that I should make her see him, otherwise she
could not believe in him. She got this answer from the lips of her
husband. I told her that she [254] believed in a great many things
she had not seen, and besides, her soul would be burned through
eternity if she did not obey him who has made all. She softened,
little by little, and testified to me that she wished to obey him.
I did not dare confer with her long, and only at intervals, for
those who saw me would cry out that I should leave her alone.
 
Sur le soir estãs tous dãs nostre nouuelle cabane, ie m'approchay
d'elle, l'appellant par son nom, iamais elle ne me voulut parler en
la presence des autres, ie priay le Sorcier de luy dire qu'elle me
répondist, & de m'ayder à l'instruire, luy representant qu'il ne
pouuoit arriuer que du bien de ceste action, il me répond non plus que
la malade, ie m'addresse à l'Apostat le pressant auec de tres humbles
prieres de me prester sa parole, point de répõse; ie retourne à la
malade, ie l'appelle, ie luy parle, ie luy demande si elle ne vouloit
pas aller au Ciel, à tout cela pas vn mot: Ie solicite de rechef le
Sorcier son mary, ie luy promets vne chemise & du petun, pourueu qu'il
dise à sa femme qu'elle m'écoute, comment veux-tu, me dit-il, que nous
[255] croyõs en ton Dieu ne l'ayãs iamais veu? ie t'ay desia respondu
à cela, luy fis-je, il n'est pas temps de disputer, cette ame se va
perdre pour vn iamais si tu n'en as pitié: Tu vois bien que celuy qui
a faict le Ciel pour toy, te veut donner de plus grands biens, que
d'aller manger des escorces en vn village qui ne fut iamais, mais aussi
te punira il seuerement si tu ne crois en luy, & si tu ne luy obeis.
Ne pouuant tirer aucune raison de ce miserable homme, ie pressay encor
vne fois la malade, mon hoste me l'entendant nommer par son nom me
tança, tais toy me dit-il, ne la nomme point, elle est desia morte, son
ame n'est plus dans son corps. C'est vne grande verité que personne
ne va à +IESVS-CHRIST+ que son pere ne luy tende la main, c'est vn grãd
present que la foy, quãd ces pauures Barbares voyẽt qu'vn pauure malade
ne parle plus, ou qu'il tombe en syncope, ou en quelque phrenesie, ils
disent que son esprit n'est plus dans son corps, si le malade retourne
en son bon sens, c'est l'èsprit qui est de retour: en fin quand il
est mort il n'en faut plus parler, ny le nommer en aucune façon: pour
conclurre ce point, il [256] me fallust retirer sans rien faire.
 
Toward evening, when we were all in our new cabin, I approached and
called her by name. She never would talk with me in the presence
of the others. I begged the Sorcerer to tell her to answer me, and
to help me teach her, showing him that nothing but good could come
of this action. He would not answer me any more than the invalid.
I addressed the Apostate, urging him with very humble prayers to
lend me his voice, but no answer; I return to the sick woman, I
call her by name, I speak to her, I ask her if she does not wish to
go to Heaven; to all this not a word. I again beg her husband, the
Sorcerer; I promise him a shirt and some tobacco, if he will tell
his wife to listen to me. "How canst thou ask us," he said, "to
[255] believe in thy God, never having seen him?" "I have already
answered that question for thee," I returned; "this is no time to
argue, this soul is going to be forever lost if thou dost not have
pity. Thou seest well that he who has made the Heavens for thee,
wishes to give thee greater blessings than to go about eating bark
in a village which never existed; but he will also severely punish
thee if thou dost not believe in him and obey him." Not being able
to draw any answer from this miserable man, I again urged the sick
woman. My host, hearing me call her by name, chided me, saying,
"Keep still, do not name her; she is already dead, her soul is no
longer in her body." It is a great truth that no one goes to +JESUS
CHRIST+ until the father extends to him the hand. How wonderful a
gift is this faith! When these simple Barbarians see that a poor
invalid no longer speaks, or that he has fainted, or been seized by
a frenzy, they say that the spirit is no longer in the body; and,
if the invalid returns to his senses, it is the spirit which has
returned. Finally, when he is dead, they must no longer speak of
him, nor name him in any way. To finish this story, [256] I had to
retire without accomplishing anything.
 
On tint conseil en ce lieu de ce qu'on deuoit faire pour trouuer à
manger, nous estions desia reduits à telle extremité que ie fa[i]sois
vn bon repas d'vne peau d'anguille boucannée, que ie iettois aux chiens
quelques iours auparauant. Deux choses me toucherent ici le cœur:
jettant vne fois vn os, ou vne arreste d'anguille aux chiens, vn petit
garçon fut plus habile que le chien, il se jetta sur l'os & le rongea &
mangea: vne autre fois vn enfant ayant demandé à manger, comme on luy
eust respõdu qu'il n'y en auoit point, ce pauure petit s'en prit à ses
yeux, les larmes rouloient sur sa face grosses commes des pois, & ses
souspirs & ses sanglots me touchoient de compassion, encor taschoit
il de se cacher: c'est vne leçon qu'on fait aux enfans de se monstrer
courageux dans la famine.
 
They took counsel in this place as to what they should do to get
something to eat. We were already reduced to such extremities that
I made a good meal on a skin of smoked eel, which a few days before
I had thrown to the dogs. Here two incidents occurred which touched
my heart. Once when I threw a bone or remnant of an eel to the
dogs, a little boy, more nimble than they, threw himself upon the
bone, and gnawed and bit into it. Another time, a child having
asked for something to eat, when he was told there was nothing at
all, the poor little fellow's eyes filled, and tears as big as peas
rolled down his cheeks, and his sighs and sobs filled me with pity,
although he tried to suppress them. One lesson they teach their children is to be brave in time of famine.

댓글 없음: