2016년 9월 27일 화요일

The Jesuit Relations and Allied Documents 7

The Jesuit Relations and Allied Documents 7


tu n'as point d'esprit, me dit-il, ce n'est pas vn chien, c'est moy:
à ces paroles ie ne sçay qui resta le plus estonné de nous deux, ie
quittay doucement mon baston, bien marry de l'auoir trouué si pres de
moy.
 
As to the dogs, which I have mentioned as one of the discomforts
of the Savages' houses, I do not know that I ought to blame them,
for they have sometimes rendered me good [192] service. True,
they exacted from me the same courtesy they gave, so that we
reciprocally aided each other, illustrating the idea of _mutuum
auxilium_. These poor beasts, not being able to live outdoors,
came and lay down sometimes upon my shoulders, sometimes upon my
feet, and as I only had one blanket to serve both as covering and
mattress, I was not sorry for this protection, willingly restoring
to them a part of the heat which I drew from them. It is true that,
as they were large and numerous, they occasionally crowded and
annoyed me so much, that in giving me a little heat they robbed me
of my sleep, so that I very often drove them away. In doing this
one night, there happened to me a little incident which caused some
confusion and laughter; for, a Savage having thrown himself upon me
while asleep, I thought it was a dog, and finding a club at hand, I
hit him, crying out, _Aché, Aché_, the words they use to drive away
the dogs. My man woke up greatly astonished, thinking that [193]
all was lost; but having discovered whence came the blows, "Thou
hast no sense," he said to me, "it is not a dog, it is I." At these
words I do not know who was the more astonished of us two; I gently
dropped my club, very sorry at having found it so near me.
 
Retournons à nos chiens, ces animaux estans affamez, d'autant qu'ils
n'auoient pas de quoy mãger non plus que nous, ne faisoient qu'aller
& venir, roder par tout dans la cabane: or comme on est souuẽt couché
aussi bien qu'assis dans ces maisons d'écorce, ils nous passoient
souuent & sur la face & sur le ventre, & si souuent, & auec telle
importunité, qu'estant las de crier & de les chasser, ie me couurois
quelque fois la face, puis ie leur donnois liberté de passer par où
ils voudroient: s'il arriuoit qu'on leur iettait vn os, aussitoit
s'estoit de courre apres à qui l'auroit, culbutans tous ceux qu'ils
rencontroient assis, s'ils ne se tenoient bien fermes; ils m'ont par
fois renuersé & mon écuelle d'écorce, & tout ce qui estoit dedans sur
ma sotane. Ie sousriois quand il y suruenoit quelque querelle parmy-eux
lors que [194] nous disnions: car il n'y auoit celuy qui ne tint son
plat à deux belles mains contre la terre, qui seruoit de table, de
siege & de lict, & aux hommes & aux chiens: c'est de là que prouenoit
la grãde incommodité que nous receuions de ces animaux, qui portoient
le nez dans nos écuelles plustost que nous n'y portions la main. C'est
assez dit des incommoditez des maisons des Sauuages, parlons de leurs
viures.
 
Let us return to our dogs. These animals, being famished, as they
have nothing to eat, any more than we, do nothing but run to and
fro gnawing at everything in the cabin. Now as we were as often
lying down as sitting up in these bark houses, they frequently
walked over our faces and stomachs; and so often and persistently,
that, being tired of shouting at them and driving them away, I
would sometimes cover my face and then give them liberty to go
where they wanted. If any one happened to throw them a bone, there
was straightway a race for it, upsetting all whom they encountered
sitting, unless they held themselves firmly. They have often upset
for me my bark dish, and all it contained, in my gown. I was amused
whenever there was a quarrel among them at [194] our dinner table,
for there was not one of us who did not hold his plate down with
both hands on the ground, which serves as table, seat, and bed
both to men and dogs. From this custom arose the great annoyance
we experienced from these animals, who thrust their noses into our
bark plates before we could get our hands in. I have said enough
about the inconveniences of the Savages' houses, let us speak of
their food.
 
Au commencement que ie fus auec eux, comme ils ne salent ny leurs
boüillons ny leurs viandes, & que la saleté mesme fait leur cuisine, ie
ne pouuois manger de leur salmigondies, ie me contentois d'vn peu de
galette & d'vn peu d'anguille bouccanée, iusques là que mon hoste me
tançoit de ce que ie mangeois si peu, ie m'affamay deuant que la famine
nous acceüillist, cependant nos Sauuages faisoient tous les iours des
festins, en sorte que nous nous vismes en peu de temps sans pain, sans
farine, & sans anguilles, & sans aucun moyen d'estre secourus: car
outre que nous estions fort auant dans les bois, & que nous fussions
morts mille fois deuant [195] que d'arriuer aux demeures des François,
nous hyuernions de là le grãd fleuue qu'on ne peut trauerser en ce
temps là pour le grand nombre de glaces qu'il charie incessamment, &
qui mettroient en pieces non seulement vne chalouppe, mais vn grand
vaisseau, pour la chasse, comme les neiges n'estoient pas profondes à
proportion des autres années, ils ne pouuoiẽt pas prendre l'Elan, si
bien qu'ils n'apportoient que quelques Castors, & quelques Porcs epics,
mais en si petit nombre, & si peu souuent, que cela seruoit plustost
pour ne point mourir que pour viure. Mon hoste me disoit dans ces
grandes disettes. _Chibiné_ aye l'ame dure resiste à la faim, tu seras
par fois deux iours, quelque fois trois ou quatre sans manger, ne te
laisse point abbattre, prẽd courage, quand la neige sera venuë nous
mangerons: nostre Seigneur n'a pas voulu qu'ils fussent si long temps
sans rien prendre; mais pour l'ordinaire nous mangions vne fois en deux
iours, voire assez souuent ayans mangé vn Castor le matin, le lendemain
au soir nous mangions vn Porc-epic gros comme [196] vn Cochon de laict:
c'estoit peu à dixneuf personnes que nous estions, il est vray; mais
ce peu suffisoit pour ne point mourir. Quand ie pouuois auoir vne peau
d'Anguille pour ma iournée sur la fin de nos viures, ie me tenois pour
bien déieuné, bien disné, & bien soupé.
 
When I first went away with them, as they salt neither their
soup nor their meat, and as filth itself presides over their
cooking, I could not eat their mixtures, and contented myself
with a few sea biscuit and smoked eel; until at last my host took
me to task because I ate so little, saying that I would starve
myself before the famine overtook us. Meanwhile our Savages had
feasts every day, so that in a very short time we found ourselves
without bread, without flour, without eels, and without any means
of helping ourselves. For besides being very far in the woods,
where we would have died a thousand times before [195] reaching
the French settlement, we were wintering on the other side of the
great river, which cannot be crossed in this season on account of
the great masses of ice which are continually floating about, and
which would crush not only a small boat but even a great ship. As
to the chase, the snows not being deep in comparison with those
of other years, they could not take the Elk, and so brought back
only some Beavers and Porcupines, but in so small a number and so
seldom that they kept us from dying rather than helped us to live.
My host said to me during this time of scarcity, "_Chibiné_, harden
thy soul, resist hunger; thou wilt be sometimes two, sometimes
three or four, days without food: do not let thyself be cast down,
take courage; when the snow comes, we shall eat." It was not our
Lord's will that they should be so long without capturing anything;
but we usually had something to eat once in two days,--indeed, we
very often had a Beaver in the morning, and in the evening of the
next day a Porcupine as big as [196] a sucking Pig. This was not
much for nineteen of us, it is true, but this little sufficed to
keep us alive. When I could have, toward the end of our supply of
food, the skin of an Eel for my day's fare, I considered that I had
breakfasted, dined, and supped well.
 
Au commencement ie m'estois seruy d'vne de ces peaux pour refaire vne
sotane de toille que i'auois sur moy, ayãt oublié de porter des pieces,
mais voyãt que la faim me pressoit si fort, ie mangeay mes pieces, &
si ma sotane eust esté de mesme estoffe, ie vous répond que ie l'eusse
rapportée bien courte en la maison: ie mangeois bien les vieilles
peaux d'Orignac, qui sont bien plus dures que les peaux d'Anguilles,
i'allois dans les bois brouter le bout des arbres & ronger les écorces
plus tendres, comme ie remarqueray dans le iournal. Les Sauuages qui
nous estoient voisins, souffroient encore plus que nous, quelques-vns
nous venans voir, nous disoient que leurs camarades estoient morts de
faim, i'en vy qui n'auoient mangé qu'vne fois en cinq iours, & qui se
tenoient bien heureux quand ils trouuoient de quoy [197] disner au bout
de deux, ils estoient faits comme des squelets, n'ayans plus que la
peau sur les os, nous faisions par fois de bons repas; mais pour vn bon
disner, nous nous passions trois fois de souper. Vn ieune Sauuage de
nostre cabane, mourant de faim, comme ie diray au Chapitre suiuant, ils
me demandoient souuent si ie ne craignois point, si ie n'auois point
peur de la mort, & voyans que ie me monstrois assez asseuré ils s'en
estonnoient, notamment en certain temps que ie les vis quasi tomber
dans le desespoir. Quand ils viennent iusques-là, ils ioüent pour ainsi
dire à sauue qui peut, ils iettent leurs écorces, & leur bagage, ils
abandonnent les vns les autres, & perdans le soin du public, c'est à
qui trouuera de quoy viure pour soy; alors les enfans, les femmes, en
vn mot ceux qui ne sçauroient chasser meurent de froid & de faim, s'ils
en fussent venus à ceste extremité ie serois mort des premiers.
 
At first, I had used one of these skins to patch the cloth gown
that I wore, as I forgot to bring some pieces with me; but, when I
was so sorely pressed with hunger, I ate my pieces; and if my gown
had been made of the same stuff, I assure you I would have brought
it back home much shorter than it was. Indeed, I ate old Moose
skins, which are much tougher than those of the Eel; I went about
through the woods biting the ends of the branches, and gnawing the
more tender bark, as I shall relate in the journal. Our neighboring
Savages suffered still more than we did, some of them coming to
see us, and telling us that their comrades had died of hunger. I
saw some who had eaten only once in five days, and who considered
themselves very well off if they found something [197] to dine
upon at the end of two days; they were reduced to skeletons,
being little more than skin and bones. We occasionally had some
good meals; but for every good dinner we went three times without
supper. When a young Savage of our cabin was dying of hunger, as
I shall relate in the following Chapter, they often asked me if
I was not afraid, if I had no fear of death; and seeing me quite
firm, they were astonished, on one occasion in particular, when I
saw them almost falling into a state of despair. When they reach
this point, they play, so to speak, at "save himself who can;"
throwing away their bark and baggage, deserting each other, and
abandoning all interest in the common welfare, each one strives to
find something for himself. Then the children, women, and for that
matter all those who cannot hunt, die of cold and hunger. If they
had reached this extremity, I would have been among the first to
die.
 
Voila ce qu'il faut preuoir auant que de se mettre à leur suitte:
car encor qu'ils ne soient pas tous les ans pressez de ceste famine,
ils en courent tous les [198] ans les dangers puis qu'ils n'ont
point à manger, ou fort peu, s'il n'y a beaucoup de neige & beaucoup
d'Orignaux, ce qui n'arriue pas tousiours.
 
So these are the things that must be expected before undertaking
to follow them; for, although they may not be pressed with famine
every year, yet they run the risk every [198] winter of not having
food, or very little, unless there are heavy snowfalls and a great
many Moose, which does not always happen.
 
Que si vous me demandez maintenant quels estoient mes sentimens dans
les afres de la mort, & d'vne mort si langoureuse comme est celle qui
prouient de la famine, ie vous diray que i'ay de la peine à répondre;
neantmoins afin que ceux qui liront ce Chapitre, n'apprehendent point
de nous venir secourir, ie puis asseurer auec verité que ce temps
de famine m'a esté vn temps d'abondance. Ayant recogneu que nous
commençions à floter entre l'esperance de la vie & la crainte de la
mort, ie fis mon conte que Dieu m'auoit condamné à mourir de faim pour
mes pechez, & baisant mille fois la main qui auoit minuté ma sentence,
i'en attendois l'execution auec vne paix & une ioye qu'on peut bien
sentir, mais qu'on ne peut décrire: ie confesse qu'on souffre, & qu'il
se faut resoudre à la Croix: mais Dieu fait gloire d'ayder vne ame
quand elle n'est plus secouruë des creatures. Poursuiuons nostre chemin.

댓글 없음: