2016년 9월 25일 일요일

Willow Pollen 8

Willow Pollen 8



THATCH
 
 
Oh Boy, give me your yellow thatch for home,
Your yellow thatch of hair,
Straw with the wind and air!
 
Oh Boy, give me your stubble cheek to roam,
Brown hayfield in the dew,--
Rusty with sun and you!
 
 
 
 
SUN-PATH
 
 
I
 
How should I touch your years with mine,
Yours flushed with dawn, a flight
For all ecstacy of light, of rose, of flame,
Mine shadowed even now by night!
Yet, child, blown by the dawn-wind of your name,
Tossed by the sunlight in your eyes,
Sped by the glow upon your lips, you came,
Seeking my shadow and my rest.
 
 
II
 
Tell me what made you run to me?
Was it the long, unsheltered way from dawn to dusk,
The hot, unclouded, copper day of truth,
Was it some legend of men’s tears and strife,
Some tale of cowards prospering in the sun,
Some sin red-flung across the lilies that men love?
Or terror which the old forget, fears
Following as you fled, some shame
Of fact too awful for your youth to bear?
 
 
III
 
Back to your sun-path now you run
And on with wing of bird and flight of sun.
Your youth upon its golden way
Forgets it ever asked for rest,
Forgets my desolated day.
To me you left your tears,
Your fears a-tremble,
And hunger in mine eyes for you.
And I? I leave you free.
 
 
 
 
RAVELLO
 
_A Recollection of the Garden in which Wagner composed “Parzival”_
 
 
Words glimmering like candles in the dusk
You tell your golden tale of Italy,--
Ravello and its starlit, tranquil sea
Among massed trees sleep-hung with jewelled fruit;
Antiquity against a shadowed sky,
And everywhere old gardens where men loved
So long ago, and the moon rose on vows
And thirsty human lips aching to meet;
And the moon set on darkling ivory-petalled rows
Of lilies and on hands dim with loneliness:--
Below, Amalfi’s campanile plays
Its even-song, full chant and antiphon,
A wish, a hope, a call from star to star.
 
O, Compassionate One, night-long with you I hark
The travelling of that music lost in space,
The echoing of those faithful feet of men,
And touch the blurred chalcedony of tears,
And breathe those candle-lighted thoughts, faint musk
Of old days vanished in silence now!
Night-long I dream your face pressed close to mine
Is lily of Ravello in its sleep,
Touched with some ancient sorrow gardens keep,--
An ivory-petalled dream whose ghostly passions shine
Like fingers in the dark struggling with fears:--
O, set your love for me, my Own, my Sweet,
The whiteness of your breast and brow aglow
With God, like candleshine before my feet!
 
 
 
 
CHESTER-ON-THE DEE
 
 
Sleep, little town, your moonlit walls
Are hushed with long-ago!
Night, like your river, brings to you
Forgetfulness of woe.
 
Peace, little town! Grave sleep is this
That aches in love and tears,
With singing stream, with shining dream,
With sense of other years.
 
 
 
 
THE RIVER SEIONT
 
_At Carnarvon in North Wales_
 
 
Where the salt sea winds her sleeping path
Up the River Seiont in summer time,
And daisies flush the aftermath
Of stubble corn; and heavy cows
Wait by the water’s edge,
While cloud-capped Snowdon hills grow dim,
And fading Anglesey a crystal rim,--
Then
Your spirit comes,
A tidal sea,
Winding,
Up the River Seiont,
Past the purple hill;
Winding,
Past the Castle wall,
Winding;--
Then
Your spirit comes,
Winding,
Up the River Seiont
To me.
 
 
 
 
GOLD AND IVORY
 
 
They lie beside me all the night,
They crowd up close to me;
And when I turn, they turn;
And when I sigh, they cry.
Says one: “I am the love you sought
Now wrinkled to an afterthought.”
The other whispers in my ear:
“You coveted:
Behold, I lie here dead!”
These are the gifts sleep brings to me,--
My dreams of gold and ivory!
 
 
 
 
STEPS
 
 
I
 
There is a stair to climb
That--Christ you keep!--
Men stumble there
It is so steep.
 
 
II
 
Its steps give scarce foothold,
Yet, pilgrim-shod,
Hungry, athirst,
Men climb to God.
 
 
 
 
BESIDE THE WAY
 
 
I
 
O, little wind of every day,
O, little wind of hope,
Bring to me love

댓글 없음: