2015년 12월 22일 화요일

Cicero Letters to Atticus, Vol. 2 of 3 73

Cicero Letters to Atticus, Vol. 2 of 3 73



Sulla, I believe, will be here to-morrow with Messalla. They are
hurrying to him, hounded away by the soldiers, who refuse to go
anywhere, until they get their pay. So, though people thought he would
not, he will be coming here; but not in a hurry. For he is travelling
slowly, and he is stopping many days in each town. Then, however he
manages things, Pharnaces must delay him. So what do you think about
me? For already I am scarcely capable physically of bearing this bad
climate, which adds ill-health to my troubles. Shall I commission these
people, who are going to him, to make my excuses, and come nearer Rome?
Please give the point your
 
* * * * *
 
Page 418
 
non fecisti, consilio iuva. Scio rem difficilem esse, sed ut in
malis etiam illud mea magni interest, te ut videam. Profecto aliquid
profecero, si id acciderit. De testamento, ut scribis, animadvertes.
 
 
 
 
XXIII
 
CICERO ATTICO SAL.
 
 
[Sidenote: _Scr. Brundisi VII Id. Quint. a. 707_]
 
Quod ad te scripseram ut cum Camillo communicares, de eo Camillus mihi
scripsit te secum locutum. Tuas litteras exspectabam; nisi illud quidem
mutari, si aliter est et oportet, non video posse. Sed, cum ab illo
accepissem litteras, desideravi tuas (etsi putabam te certiorem factum
non esse), modo valeres; scripseras enim te quodam valetudinis genere
temptari.
 
Agusius quidam Rhodo venerat VIII Idus Quinct. Is nuntiabat Quintum
filium ad Caesarem profectum IIII Kal. Iun., Philotimum Rhodum pridie
eam diem venisse, habere ad me litteras. Ipsum Agusium audies. Sed
tardius iter faciebat. Eo feci, ut celeriter eunti darem. Quid sit in
iis litteris, nescio, sed mihi valde Quintus frater gratulatur. Equidem
in meo tanto peccato nihil ne cogitatione quidem adsequi possum, quod
mihi tolerabile possit esse. Te oro
 
* * * * *
 
Page 419
 
attention and help me with your advice, which you have not done in
spite of many requests. I know it is a knotty question: but, as there
is a choice of evils, the mere sight of you is something to me. If I
get that, I shall have made some advance. Please attend to the will, as
you promise.
 
 
 
 
XXIII
 
CICERO TO ATTICUS, GREETING.
 
 
[Sidenote: _Brundisium, July 9_, B.C. _47_]
 
Camillus has written to me saying that you have spoken to him on the
subject about which I suggested you should consult with him. Now I
am expecting a letter from you: only I don't see how the thing is to
be changed, if it is not as it ought to be. But, when I got a letter
from him, I looked for one from you, though I suppose you did not know
the post was going. I only hope you are well: for you said you had an
attack of some kind of illness.
 
A man of the name of Agusius came from Rhodes on the 8th of July.
He tells me young Quintus set out to go to Caesar on May 29th, and
Philotimus arrived at Rhodes the day before with a letter for me. You
will hear Agusius himself: but he is travelling rather slowly. So I
arranged to give this to some one who was going more quickly. What
there is in that letter, I don't know, but my brother Quintus offers
me hearty congratulations. For my part after my great mistake I cannot
even imagine anything that can possibly be endurable to me. I beg you
to
 
* * * * *
 
Page 420
 
ut de hac misera cogites, et illud, de quo ad te proxime scripsi,
ut aliquid conficiatur ad inopiam propulsandam, et etiam de ipso
testamento. Illud quoque vellem antea, sed omnia timuimus. Melius
quidem in pessimis nihil fuit discidio. Aliquid fecissemus ut viri vel
tabularum novarum nomine vel nocturnarum expugnationum vel Metellae
vel omnium malorum; nec res perisset, et videremur aliquid doloris
virilis habuisse. Memini omnino tuas litteras, sed et tempus illud;
etsi quidvis praestitit. Nunc quidem ipse videtur denuntiare; audimus
enim de statua Clodi. Generumne nostrum potissimum vel hoc vel tabulas
novas! Placet mihi igitur et item tibi nuntium remitti. Petet fortasse
tertiam pensionem. Considera igitur, tumne, cum ab ipso nascetur, an
prius. Ego, si ullo modo potuero, vel nocturnis itineribus experiar,
ut te videam. Tu et haec, et si quid erit, quod intersit mea scire,
scribas velim. Vale.
 
* * * * *
 
Page 421
 
think of my poor girl, both as regards the point about which I wrote
lately--making some arrangement to avoid destitution--and also as
regards the will itself. The other thing too I wish I had attended
to before; but I was afraid of everything. In this very bad business
there was nothing better than a divorce. I should have done something
like a man, either on the score of his cancelling of debts or his
night attacks on houses, or Metella or all his sins together: I should
not have lost the money, and I should have shown some manly spirit. I
remember of course your letter, but I remember the circumstances too:
still anything would have been better than this. Now he seems to be
giving notice of divorce himself; for I have heard about the statue of
Clodius. To think that a son-in-law of mine above all people should do
such a thing as that, or abolish debts! So I agree with you we must
serve a notice of divorce on him. Perhaps he will ask for the third
instalment of the dowry. So consider whether we should wait for a move
of his or act first.[196] If I can possibly manage it, even by night
journeys, I will try to see you. Please write to me about this and
anything else it may interest me to know. Farewell.
 
[196] If Dolabella started the divorce proceedings, he could not claim
the rest of the dowry, and would have to refund what had already been
paid. If Tullia began them, part at least of the dowry would remain
with him, unless she could prove misconduct.
 
* * * * *
 
Page 422
 
 
 
 
XXIV
 
CICERO ATTICO SAL.
 
 
[Sidenote: _Scr. Brundisi VIII Id. Sext. a. 707_]
 
Quae dudum ad me et (quae etiam ad me vis) ad Tulliam de me scripsisti,
ea sentio esse vera. Eo sum miserior, etsi nihil videbatur addi posse,
quod mihi non modo irasci gravissima iniuria accepta, sed ne dolere
quidem impune licet. Quare istuc feramus. Quod cum tulerimus, tamen
eadem erunt perpetienda, quae tu ne accidant ut caveamus mones. Ea enim
est a nobis contracta culpa, ut omni statu omnique populo eundem exitum
habitura videatur.
 
Sed ad meam manum redeo; erunt enim haec occultius agenda. Vide,
quaeso, etiam nunc de testamento, quod tum factum cum illa haerere
coeperat. Non, credo, te commovit; neque enim rogavit ne me quidem.
Sed, quasi ita sit, quoniam in sermonem iam venisti, poteris eam
monere, ut alicui committat, cuius extra periculum huius belli fortuna
sit. Equidem tibi potissimum velim, si idem illa vellet. Quam quidem
celo miseram me hoc timere.
 
De illo altero scio equidem venire nunc nil posse, sed seponi et
occultari possunt, ut extra ruinam sint eam, quae impendet. Nam, quod
scribis nobis nostra
 
* * * * *
 
Page 423
 
 
 
 
XXIV
 
CICERO TO ATTICUS, GREETING.
 
 
[Sidenote: _Brundisium, Aug. 6_, B.C. _47_]
 
What you wrote to me some time ago and to Tullia too about me, with
the intention that it should be passed on to me, I feel to be true.
It adds to my misery, though I thought nothing could be added, that,
when I have received the deepest injury, I cannot show anger or even
annoyance with impunity. So I must put up with that. And when I have
borne that blow, I shall still have to suffer what you warn me to guard
against. For I have got myself into such trouble, that, whatever the
state of affairs or the feelings of the people may be, the result for
me apparently will be the same.
 
But here I take the pen myself; for I shall have to deal with
confidential matters. Please see to the will even now, as it was made
when she had begun to get into difficulties. She did not bother you, I
think; for she did not even ask me about it. But, supposing that is so,
since you have broached the subject already, you will be able to advise
her to deposit it with some one whose position is not affected by this
war. Myself I would rather you were the person, if she agrees to that.
The fact is I am keeping the poor woman in the dark as to that fear of
mine.[197]
 
[197] That her property would be confiscated.
 
For that other matter, I know of course that nothing can be put up for
sale now, but things could be put away and hidden, so that they escape the crash which is threatening. For, when you

댓글 없음: