2015년 12월 18일 금요일

Cicero Letters to Atticus, Vol. 2 of 3 35

Cicero Letters to Atticus, Vol. 2 of 3 35


CICERO TO ATTICUS, GREETING.
 
 
[Sidenote: _Formiae, March 11_, B.C. _49_]
 
No news yet from Brundisium. From Rome Balbus has written that he
thinks the consul Lentulus has now gone over, and that the younger
Balbus has not met him, because the latter has just heard the news at
Canusium and from that town has written to him. He adds that the six
cohorts which were at Alba have gone to Curius by the Minucian road,
that Caesar has written to tell him so and will shortly be in Rome. So
I shall follow your advice. I shall not go and bury myself in Arpinum
at the present time, though, since I had wished to celebrate my son's
coming of age there, I thought of leaving that as an excuse to Caesar.
But perhaps that itself will give offence and he might ask why I should
not do it at Rome. Still, if I must meet him, I would much rather meet
him here. Then I shall see the other things, where I am to go, by what
route and when.
 
Domitius, I hear, is at Cosa, and ready it is said to sail. If it is to
Spain, I do not approve, but, if to Pompey, he has my praise. Better
to go anywhere than to have to see Curtius, of whom, though I have
defended him, I cannot bear the sight, not to speak of others. But I
suppose I had better keep quiet, for fear of convicting myself of folly
in managing to be cut off wholly and made captive through my love of my
country and an idea that the matter could be patched up.
 
Just as I had finished writing, there came a letter from Capua, of
which this is a copy: "Pompey has crossed the sea with all the soldiery
he has. There
 
* * * * *
 
Page 196
 
hominum milia triginta et consules duo et tribuni pl. et senatores, qui
fuerunt cum eo, omnes cum uxoribus et liberis. Conscendisse dicitur
a. d. IIII Nonas Martias. Ex ea die fuere septemtriones venti. Naves,
quibus usus non est, omnes aut praecidisse aut incendisse dicunt."
 
De hac re litterae L. Metello tribuno pl. Capuam allatae sunt a Clodia
socru, quae ipsa transiit. Ante sollicitus eram et angebar, sicut res
scilicet ipsa cogebat, cum consilio explicare nihil possem; nunc autem,
postquam Pompeius et consules ex Italia exierunt, non angor, sed ardeo
dolore,
 
οδμοι τορ
μπεδον, ἀλλ' ἀλαλκτημαι.
 
Non sum, inquam, mihi crede, mentis compos; tantum mihi dedecoris
admisisse videor. Mene non primum cum Pompeio qualicumque consilio uso,
deinde cum bonis esse quamvis causa temere instituta? praesertim cum ii
ipsi, quoram ego causa timidius me fortunae committebam, uxor, filia,
Cicerones pueri, me illud sequi mallent, hoc turpe et me indignum
putarent. Nam Quintus quidem frater, quicquid mihi placeret, id rectum
se putare aiebat, id animo aequissimo sequebatur.
 
Tuas nunc epistulas a primo lego. Hae me paulum recreant. Primae monent
et rogant, ne me proiciam, proximae gaudere te ostendunt me remansisse.
Eas cum lego, minus mihi turpis videor, sed tam diu, dum lego. Deinde
emergit rursum dolor et ἀισχροφαντασα. Quam ob rem obsecro te, mi
Tite, eripe
 
* * * * *
 
Page 197
 
are 30,000 men, two consuls, tribunes and the senators who were with
him, all accompanied by wives and children. He is said to have embarked
on the 4th of March. From that day there have been northerly winds.
They say he disabled or burned all the ships he did not use."
 
[Sidennote Iliad x, 91]
 
On this matter a letter has been received at Capua by Lucius Metellus,
the tribune of the plebs, from Clodia, his mother-in-law, who herself
crossed the sea. I was anxious and distracted before, naturally enough
under the circumstances, when I could find no solution of affairs.
But, now that Pompey and the consuls have left Italy, I am not only
distracted, but I blaze with indignation. "Steady my heart no more,
but wild with grief." Believe me, I say I am no longer responsible,
so great the shame I seem to have incurred. To think that in the
first place I should not be with Pompey, whatever his plan, nor again
with the loyalists, however rashly they have mismanaged their cause!
Particularly when those very people, whose interests kept me cautious,
my wife, my daughter and the boys, preferred that I should follow
Pompey's fortunes, and thought Caesar's cause disgraceful and unworthy
of me. As for my brother Quintus, whatever I thought right, he agreed
to, and he followed my course with perfect contentment.
 
Your letters I am reading now from the beginning of the business. They
afford me some little relief. The first warn and entreat me not to
commit myself. The later ones show you are glad I stayed. While I read
them, my conduct seems to me less discreditable; but only so long as
I read: afterwards up rises sorrow again and a vision of shame. So I
beseech you, Titus,
 
* * * * *
 
Page 198
 
mihi hunc dolorem, aut minue saltem aut consolatione aut consilio, aut
quacumque re potes. Quid tu autem possis? aut quid homo quisquam? Vix
iam deus.
 
Equidem illud molior, quod tu mones sperasque fieri posse, ut mihi
Caesar concedat, ut absim, cum aliquid in senatu contra Gnaeum agatur.
Sed timeo, ne non impetrem. Venit ab eo Furnius. Ut quidem scias, quos
sequamur, Q. Titini filium cum Caesare esse nuntiat, sed illum maiores
mihi gratias agere, quam vellem. Quid autem me roget paucis ille quidem
verbis, sed ἐν δυνμει, cognosce ex ipsius epistula. Me miserum, quod
tu non valuisti! una fuissemus; consilium certe non defuisset; σν τε
δύ' ἐρχομνω----.
 
Sed acta ne agamus, reliqua paremus. Me adhuc haec duo fefellerunt,
initio spes compositionis, qua facta volebam uti populari vita,
sollicitudine senectutem nostram liberari; deinde bellum crudele et
exitiosum suscipi a Pompeio intellegebam. Melioris medius fidius
civis et viri putabam quovis supplicio adfici, quam illi crudelitati
non solum praeesse, verum etiam interesse. Videtur vel mori satius
fuisse quam esse cum his. Ad haec igitur cogita, mi Attice, vel potius
excogita. Quemvis eventum fortius feram quam hunc dolorem.
 
* * * * *
 
Page 199
 
take this grief away from me, or at any rate lessen it by your sympathy
or advice or by any other possible means. Yet what can you or any man
do? God Himself could hardly help now.
 
But my own aim now is to achieve what you advise and hope, that Caesar
excuse my absence, when any measure is brought forward against Pompey
in the house. But I fear I may fail. Furnius has come from Caesar. To
show you the sort of men I am following, he tells me that the son of Q.
Titinius is with Caesar, but Caesar expresses greater thanks to me than
I could wish. His request put in a few words, but _ex cathedra_, you
may see from his letter. How grieved I am at your ill-health! We should
have been together; assuredly advice would not have been wanting: "Two
heads are better than one."
 
[Sidenote: Iliad X, 224]
 
But let us not fight battles over again, let us attend to the future.
Till now two things have led me astray, at first the hope of a
settlement, and, if that were secured, I was ready for private life and
an old age quit of public cares; and then I discovered that Pompey was
beginning a bloody and destructive war. On my honour I thought that
it was the part of a better man and a better citizen to suffer any
punishment rather than, I will not say to take a leading part, but even
to take any part in such atrocities. It seems as though it would have
been preferable to die than to be one of such men. So, my dear Atticus,
think on these problems, or rather think them out. I shall bear any
result more bravely than this affliction.
 
* * * * *
 
Page 200
 
 
 
 
VIa
 
CAESAR IMP. S. D. CICERONI IMP.
 
 
[Sidenote: _Scr. in itinere in. m. Mart. a. 705_]
 
Cum Furnium nostrum tantum vidissem neque loqui neque audire meo
commodo potuissem, properarem atque essem in itinere praemissis iam
legionibus, praeterire tamen non potui, quin et scriberem ad te et
illum mitterem gratiasque agerem, etsi hoc et feci saepe et saepius
mihi facturus videor. Ita de me mereris. In primis a te peto, quoniam
confido me celeriter ad urbem venturum, ut te ibi videam, ut tuo
consilio, gratia, dignitate, ope omnium rerum uti possim. Ad propositum
revertar; festinationi meae brevitatique litterarum ignosces. Reliqua
ex Furnio cognosces.
 
 
 
   

댓글 없음: