2015년 12월 18일 금요일

Cicero Letters to Atticus, Vol. 2 of 3 40

Cicero Letters to Atticus, Vol. 2 of 3 40



it up for sale: but he refused. Nowadays I suppose all such property
is depreciated on account of the scarcity of money. It will suit me
admirably, or rather us, if you buy it. Don't despise the late owner's
folly: it is a most charming place. However, all these seats seem now
to be doomed to destruction.
 
I have answered three of your letters; but I await others. So far your
letters have been my support.
 
March 17.
 
 
 
 
X
 
CICERO TO ATTICUS, GREETING.
 
 
[Sidenote: _Formiae, March 18_, B.C. _49_]
 
I have nothing to write. There is no news that I have heard, and all
your letters I answered yesterday. But as a sick heart not only robs
me of sleep, but will not allow me even to keep awake without the
greatest pain, I have begun to write to you something or other without
any definite subject, that I may have a sort of talk with you, the only
thing that gives me relief.
 
I seem to myself to have been mad from the very beginning, and the one
thing that tortures me is that I did not follow Pompey like a private
soldier, when he was slipping or rather rushing to ruin. I saw he was
terrified on the 17th of January: on that day I felt what he would do.
Since then I have never approved his course, and he has never ceased to
commit one blunder after another. Meantime not a letter to me, nothing
but thoughts of flight. Well! Just as in love affairs men are repelled
by untidiness, stupidity and indelicacy, so the ugliness of
 
* * * * *
 
Page 226
 
avertit ab amore. Nihil enim dignum faciebat, quare eius fugae comitem
me adiungerem. Nunc emergit amor, nunc desiderium ferre non possum,
nunc mihi nihil libri, nihil litterae, nihil doctrina prodest. Ita
dies et noctes tamquam avis illa mare prospecto, evolare cupio. Do, do
poenas temeritatis meae. Etsi quae fuit illa temeritas? quid feci non
consideratissime? Si enim nihil praeter fugam quaereretur, fugissem
libentissime, sed genus belli crudelissimi et maximi, quod nondum
vident homines quale futurum sit, perhorrui. Quae minae municipiis,
quae nominatim viris bonis, quae denique omnibus, qui remansissent!
quam crebro illud "Sulla potuit, ego non potero?"! Mihi autem haeserunt
illa. Male Tarquinius, qui Porsenam, qui Octavium Mamilium contra
patriam, impie Coriolanus, qui auxilium petiit a Volscis, recte
Themistocles, qui mori maluit, nefarius Hippias, Pisistrati filius,
qui in Marathonia pugna cecidit arma contra patriam ferens. At Sulla,
at Marius, at Cinna recte, immo iure fortasse; sed quid eorum victoria
crudelius, quid funestius? Huius belli genus fugi, et eo magis, quod
crudeliora etiam cogitari et parari videbam. Me, quem non nulli
conservatorem istius urbis, quem parentem esse dixerunt, Getarum et
Armeniorum et Colchorum copias ad eam adducere? me meis civibus famem,
vastitatem inferre Italiae? Hunc primum mortalem esse, deinde etiam
 
* * * * *
 
Page 227
 
his flight and his carelessness have estranged my love. For he has
done nothing of a kind to induce me to share his flight. But now my
old love breaks forth: now I miss him intolerably: now books, letters,
philosophy, do not help me one whit. Day and night, like that bird,[96]
I gaze at the sea, and long to take flight. Sorely am I punished for my
rashness. Yet what rashness was there? I acted with all deliberation.
For, if flight were his only object, I would have fled gladly enough.
But I was aghast at warfare so cruel and desperate, the upshot of which
is still unknown. What threats against the country towns, against
the loyalists by name, in fact against all who should stay behind!
How frequently has he remarked "Sulla could do it, and shall not I?"
I could not get rid of thoughts like these. It was base in Tarquin
to egg on Porsena and Octavius Mamilius against his country; it was
wicked in Coriolanus, to seek help from the Volscians. Themistocles
was right who preferred to die. What a dastard was Hippias, the son of
Pisistratus, who fell at the battle of Marathon, bearing arms against
his country! Yes, but Sulla and Marius and Cinna acted rightly, perhaps
one should say within their rights; but then victory brought cruelty
and death. I shrank from a war of that kind, and also because I saw
cruelty even greater was being planned and prepared. Was it for me,
whom some called the saviour and father of Rome, to bring against her
hordes of Getae, Armenians and Colchians? Was it for me to bring famine
on my fellow-townsmen and devastation on Italy? In the first place I
reflected that Caesar was
 
[96] Cf. Plato, _Ep._ vii, 348A, καθπερ ρνις ποθν ποθν ναπτσθαι
"Like a bird longing to fly somewhither."
 
* * * * *
 
Page 228
 
multis modis posse exstingui cogitabam, urbem autem et populum nostrum
servandum ad immortalitatem, quantum in nobis esset, putabam, et tamen
spes quaedam me oblectabat fore ut aliquid conveniret, potius quam aut
hic tantum sceleris aut ille tantum flagitii admitteret.
 
Alia res nunc tota est, alia mens mea. Sol, ut est in tua quadam
epistula, excidisse mihi e mundo videtur. Ut aegroto, dum anima est,
spes esse dicitur, sic ego, quoad Pompeius in Italia fuit, sperare non
destiti. Haec, haec me fefellerunt, et, ut verum loquar, aetas iam a
diuturnis laboribus devexa ad otium domesticarum me rerum delectatione
mollivit. Nunc, si vel periculose experiundum erit, experiar certe,
ut hinc avolem. Ante oportuit fortasse; sed ea, quae scripsisti, me
tardarunt, et auctoritas maxime tua. Nam, cum ad hunc locum venissem,
evolvi volumen epistularum tuarum, quod ego sub signo habeo servoque
diligentissime. Erat igitur in ea, quam X K. Febr. dederas, hoc modo:
"Sed videamus, et Gnaeus quid agat, et illius rationes quorsum fluant.
Quodsi iste Italiam relinquet, faciet omnino male, et, ut ego existimo,
λογστως, sed tum demum consilia nostra commutanda erunt." Hoc scribis
post diem quartum, quam ab urbe discessimus. Deinde VIII K. Febr.:
"Tantum modo Gnaeus noster ne, ut urbem ἀλογστως reliquit, sic Italiam
relinquat." Eodem die das alteras litteras, quibus mihi consulenti
planissime respondes. Est enim sic: "Sed venio ad consultationem tuam.
Si Gnaeus Italia cedit, in urbem redeundum puto; quae enim finis
peregrinationis?" Hoc mihi
 
* * * * *
 
Page 229
 
mortal, and besides might be got rid of in many ways. But I thought
that our city and our people should be preserved so far as in us lay
for immortality; and anyhow I cherished a hope that some arrangement
might be made before Caesar perpetrated such a crime or Pompey such
iniquity.
 
Now the case is altered and my mind is altered too. The sun, as you
say in one of your letters, seems to me to have fallen out of the
universe. As a sick man is said to have hope, so long as he has breath,
so I did not cease to hope so long as Pompey was in Italy. This, this
was what deceived me, and to speak the truth after my long labours my
life's evening falling peacefully has made me lazy with the thought of
domestic pleasures. But now, even if risk must be run in fleeing hence,
assuredly I will run it. Perhaps I ought to have done it before: but
the points you wrote about delayed me, and especially your influence.
For, when I got so far, I opened the packet of your letters, which
I keep under seal and preserve with the greatest care. In a letter
dated the 21st of January, you make the following remark: "Let us see
Pompey's policy and the drift of his plans. Now if he leave Italy, it
will be wrong and to my mind irrational: but then and not till then
will be the time to change our plans." This you wrote on the fourth day
after I left Rome. Then on the 23rd of January: "I only pray that our
friend Pompey will not leave Italy, as he has irrationally left Rome."
On the same day you wrote another letter, a frank reply to my request
for advice. It runs: "But to answer the question on which you ask
advice, if Pompey leaves Italy, I think you ought to return to Rome:
for what can be the end to his
 
* * * * *
 
Page 230
 
plane haesit, et nunc ita video, infinitum bellum iunctum miserrima
fuga, quam tu peregrinationem ὑποκορζη. Sequitur χρησμς VI K.
Februarias: "Ego, si Pompeius manet in Italia, nec res ad pactionem
venit, longius bellum puto fore; sin Italiam relinquit, ad posterum
bellum ἄσπονδον strui existimo." Huius igitur belli ego particeps et
socius et adiutor esse cogor, quod et ἄσπονδον est et cum civibus?
Deinde VII Idus Febr., cum iam plura audires de Pompei consilio,
concludis epistulam quandam hoc modo: "Ego quidem tibi non sim
auctor, si Pompeius Italiam relinquit, te quoque profugere. Summo
enim periculo facies nec rei publicae proderis; cui quidem posterius
poteris prodesse, si manseris." Quem φιλπατριν ac πολιτικν hominis
prudentis et amici tali admonitu non moveret auctoritas? Deinceps III
Idus Febr. iterum mihi respondes consulenti sic: "Quod quaeris a me,
fugamne[97] defendam an moram utiliorem putem, ego vero in praesentia
subitum discessum et praecipitem profectionem cum tibi tum ipsi Gnaeo
inutilem et periculosam puto, et satius esse existimo vos dispertitos
et in speculis esse; sed medius fidius turpe nobis puto esse de
fuga cogitare." Hoc turpe Gnaeus noster biennio ante cogitavit. Ita
sullaturit animus eius et proscripturit iam diu. Inde, ut opinor, cum
tu ad me quaedam γενικτερον scripsisses, et ego mihi a te significari
putassem, ut Italia cederem, detestaris hoc diligenter XI K. Mart.:
"Ego vero nulla epistula significavi, si Gnaeus Italia cederet, ut tu
una cederes, aut, si significavi, non dico fui inconstans,
 
[97] fugamne--putem, as _Otto Müller: M reads_ fugamne fidam (_corr.
from_ fedam) an moram defendam utiliorem putem. _Other suggested
emendations are_ fugamne suadeam an moram defendam utilioremque
putem _(Klotz), and_ fugamne foedam an moram desidem utiliorem putem(_Manutius_).

댓글 없음: