2015년 12월 22일 화요일

Cicero Letters to Atticus, Vol. 2 of 3 71

Cicero Letters to Atticus, Vol. 2 of 3 71



distressful fate, and that this should happen through no fault of hers,
but through my own grave error. So I do not expect any consolation from
you now, though I see you are ready to offer it, nor any counsel, since
none can be taken: and I realize that you have tried every way in your
former letters and in these last.
 
 
 
 
XVIIa
 
CICERO TO ATTICUS, GREETING.
 
 
[Sidenote: _Brundisium, June 14_, B.C. _47_]
 
I am thinking of sending my son with Sallustius to Caesar. As for
Tullia, I see no reason for keeping her with me any longer when both of
us are in such sorrow: so I am going to send her back to her mother, as
soon as she herself will allow me. In return for the letter which you
wrote in a consolatory style, please consider that I have made the only
answer, which, as you yourself know, was possible.
 
You tell me Oppius has had a talk with you: and what you say agrees
well enough with my suspicions of him. But I feel sure that party[191]
can never be convinced that their actions can possibly win my approval,
whatever I may say. However, I will be as moderate as I can: though,
what difference it makes to me, if I do incur their enmity, I cannot
conceive.
 
[191] Caesar's followers.
 
I see you have a good reason for not being able to come to me: and
I am very sorry that is so. There is no news that Caesar has left
Alexandria; and it is well known that no one at all has left that place
since the 15th of March, and that he has despatched no letters since
the 13th of December. So you see it was quite untrue about the letter
dated Febr. 9,
 
* * * * *
 
Page 408
 
quod inane esset, etiamsi verum esset, non verum esse. L. Terentium
discessisse ex Africa scimus Paestumque venisse. Quid is adferat aut
quo modo exierit, aut quid in Africa fiat, scire velim. Dicitur enim
per Nasidium emissus esse. Id quale sit, velim, si inveneris, ad me
scribas. De HS X̅, ut scribis, faciam. Vale.
 
XVII Kal. Quinctiles.
 
 
 
 
XVIII
 
CICERO ATTICO SAL.
 
 
[Sidenote: _Scr. Brundisi XII K. Quint. a 707_]
 
De illius Alexandrea discessu nihil adhuc rumoris, contraque opinio
valde esse impeditum. Itaqae nec mitto, ut constitueram, Ciceronem,
et te rogo, ut me hinc expedias. Quodvis enim supplicium levius est
hac permansione. Hac de re et ad Antonium scripsi et ad Balbum et ad
Oppium. Sive enim bellum in Italia futurum est, sive classibus utetur,
hic esse me minime convenit; quorum fortasse utrumque erit, alterum
certe. Intellexi omnino ex Oppi sermone, quem tu mihi scripsisti, quae
istorum ira esset, sed, ut eam flectas, te rogo. Nihil omnino iam
exspecto nisi miserum, sed hoc perditius, in quo nunc sum, fieri nihil
potest. Quare et cum Antonio loquare velim et cum istis et rem, ut
poteris, expedias et mihi quam primum de omnibus rebus rescribas. Vale.
 
XII Kal. Quinctil.
 
* * * * *
 
Page 409
 
though it would not have been of any importance, if it had been true.
I hear L. Terentius has left Africa and come to Paestum. What news he
brings, or how he got out, or what is happening in Africa, I should
like to know. For he is said to have been passed out through the agency
of Nasidius. What it all means, I wish you would write and tell me, if
you find out. I will do as you say about the 80 guineas.[192] Farewell.
 
[192] 10,000 sesterces.
 
June 14.
 
 
 
 
XVIII
 
CICERO TO ATTICUS, GREETING.
 
 
[Sidenote: _Brundisium, June 19_, B.C. _47_]
 
There is no rumour of his leaving Alexandria as yet: on the contrary,
he is thought to be in great difficulties. So I am not sending my son,
as I had arranged, and I beseech you to get me away from here: for any
punishment is lighter to bear than staying here. On this point I have
written to Antony, to Balbus and to Oppius. For whether there is going
to be a war in Italy, or whether he will employ his fleet--and it may
be either, but one it must be--this is a most inappropriate place for
me. I understood of course from what Oppius said according to your
letter, how angry they are with me: but I beg you to turn their anger.
I don't expect anything now that is not unpleasant: but my present
condition is as desperate as anything can be. So please speak with
Antony and the Caesarians, and see the matter through for me as best
you can: and let me have an answer on all points as soon as possible.
Farewell.
 
June 14.
 
* * * * *
 
Page 410
 
 
 
 
XIX
 
CICERO ATTICO SAL.
 
 
[Sidenote: _Scr. Brundisi XI K. Sext. a. 707_]
 
Cum tuis dare possem litteras, non praetermisi, etsi, quod scriberem,
non habebam. Tu ad nos et rarius scribis, quam solebas, et brevius,
credo, quia nihil habes, quod me putes libenter legere aut audire
posse. Verum tamen velim, si quid erit, qualecumque erit, scribas. Est
autem unum, quod mihi sit optandum, si quid agi de pace possit; quod
nulla equidem habeo in spe; sed, quia tu leviter interdum significas,
cogis me sperare, quod optandum vix est.
 
Philotimus dicitur Id. Sext. Nihil habeo de illo amplius. Tu velim ad
ea mihi rescribas, quae ad te antea scripsi. Mihi tantum temporis satis
est, dura ut in pessimis rebus aliquid caveam, qui nihil umquam cavi.
Vale.
 
XI Kal. Sexti.
 
 
 
 
XX
 
CICERO ATTICO SAL.
 
 
[Sidenote: _Scr. Brundisi XVI K. Sept. a. 707_]
 
XVII K. Septembres venerat die XXVIII Seleucea Pieria C. Trebonius, qui
se Antiocheae diceret apud Caesarem vidisse Quintum filium cum Hirtio.
Eos de Quinto, quae voluissent, impetrasse nullo quidem negotio. Quod
ego magis gauderem, si ista nobis impetrata quicquam ad spem explorati
haberent. Sed
 
* * * * *
 
Page 411
 
 
 
 
XIX
 
CICERO TO ATTICUS, GREETING.
 
 
[Sidenote: _Brundisium, July 22_, B.C. _47_]
 
As I had a chance of giving a letter to your men, I did not miss it,
though I have nothing to say. You are writing less often than you used
to do and less fully, I suppose because you have nothing that you think
I should be glad to read or hear. However please write, if there is
anything of any kind whatever. There is one thing that I do long for,
any possibility of a peace: myself I have no hope of such a thing: but,
as you sometimes give a slight hint, you compel me to have some hope of
what I hardly dare long for.
 
Philotimus is said to be coming on the 13th of August. Of Caesar I
have no further news. Please answer my former letter. I only want time
enough to take some precaution now in my misfortunes, as I have never
taken any before. Farewell.
 
July 22.
 
 
 
 
XX
 
CICERO TO ATTICUS, GREETING.
 
 
[Sidenote: _Brundisium, Aug. 15_, B.C. _47_]
 
On the 14th of August there arrived from Seleucea Pieria C. Trebonius
after 28 days' journey: and he said he had seen young Quintus at
Antioch in Caesar's train with Hirtius. They had got what they wanted
about my brother without any difficulty at all. I should feel more
joy at that, if what I have got myself gave me some sure ground for
hope.[193] But there are things
 
[193] Or, as Tyrrell, "if the granting of such petitions afforded, in my opinion, any sure basis for hope."

댓글 없음: