2016년 5월 27일 금요일

A History of Parliamentary Elections and Electioneering 15

A History of Parliamentary Elections and Electioneering 15


The obstinate and infatuated zealots, who would insist on keeping up
the pretence that parliaments were essential to the constitutional
government of the kingdom, were, with the suspected association,
treated to all the witticisms Cavalier balladists could bring to bear
against preposterous attempts to assail the royal prerogative, and
enforce the just balance of the State:--
 
“’Tis to preserve his Majesty,
That we against him rise,
The righteous cause can never die
That’s manag’d by the wise.
Th’ _Association’s_ a just thing,
And that does seem to say,
Who fights for us, fights for the King,
_The clean contrary way_.”
 
(“_A Hymn exalting the Mobile to Loyalty._”)
 
The members representing Buckingham town in the fourth parliament of
Charles II., 1679, were Lord Latimer and Sir Richard Temple.
 
“Of thirteen men there were but six
Who did not merit hemp well,
The other seven play their tricks
For Latimer and Temple.”
 
The Buckingham ballad, “The Sale of Esau’s Birthright,” which relates
to these members, is interesting from an electioneering point, as
proving bribery, and as showing there were only thirteen electors of
this limited constituency concerned in this particular return. Six
voted, according to a list at the end of the ballad, “for their king
and country,” and seven for Lord Latimer and Sir _Timber_ Temple (the
Earl of Danby, in another version), “for popery and their Town Hall”
(“Sir R. T. his Timber, Chimney-money and Court,” according to another
version). It seems certain that Sir Richard Temple had offered a
present of timber for the Town Hall--in fact, some years later he is
called “Timber Temple” (“State Poems”)--which was regarded as a bribe;
it also appears that some delay had arisen in its payment.
 
“Our prating Knight doth owe his call
To Timber, and his Lady;
Though one goes longer with Town-Hall,
Than t’other with her baby.
 
“The Bailiff[18] is so mad a spark
(Though h’ lives by tanning leather),
That for a load of Temple’s bark,
He’d sacrifice his father.”
 
The other electors were a barber, two maltsters, a baker, and a farmer;
the peppery ballad castigates the former, and concludes with a groan
against the members returned:--
 
“Thus Buckingham hath led the way
To popery and sorrow;
Those seven Knaves who make us slaves,
Would sell their God to-morrow.”[19]
 
“The Wiltshire[20] Ballad,” also belonging to this so-called “group of
election ballads,” professes to be--
 
“A new Song, composed by an old Cavalier,
Of wonders at Sarum by which doth appear,
That th’ old Devil came again lately there,
To raise a Rebellion
By way of Petition.
 
“From Salisbury, that low Hous’d Town,
Where steeple is of high renown,
Of late was brought unto the Crown
A Lesson:
’Twas drawn up by three worthy wights,
Members they were, and two were Knights,
Great trencher-men, but no one fights
Mompesson.[21]
Through discontent his Hand did set
First to the scroll without regret,
Then pilgrim-like travel’d to get
Some others,
From house to house, in Town and Close,
Our zealous Preservator goes;
Tells them of dangers and of Foes;
But smothers
The true intent of what they bring,
Who beg’d the House may sit; a thing
Which only can preserve the King,
When nothing
Destroys him more; for should he give
Consent, he’d never that retrieve,
But part with his Prerogative;
A low thing
Make himself by ’t, the rabble get
Into his high Imperial seat
They’d make him Gloriously Great!
We trow it.
They serv’d his Father so before,
These Saints would still increase the store
Of Royal Martyrs, Hum! no more,
We know it.
The herd of zealots long to see
A monarch, but in effigie,
A project which appears to be
Most witty;
And they at helm aspire to sit,
There govern without fear or wit,
King and un-king when they think fit;
That’s pretty.
To see (’twould make a Stoic smile)
_Geneva Jack_[22] thus moil and toil
To Lord it in our British Isle
Again, Sir;
And ‘Pulpit-Cuff’ us till we fight,
Lose our Estates and lives outright;
And when all’s done, he gets all by ’t,
That’s plain, Sir.
But this, I hope, nor make no mars
_Charles_ knows what’s meant by all these jars,
And these domestic paper-wars,
Conceive it;
_Tom_ of Ten Thousand,[23] is come in,
Sure such a hero much will win,
On skulls as thick, as his is _Thin_,
Believe it
The people would have power to call
Parliaments, and dissolve them; all
Regalias possess; what shall
The Saint, Sir,
Not have the power of Peace and War?
Religion steer? Holy we are,
And rich, the King shall we (be ’t far)
Acquaint, Sir?”
 
The Court party lost no opportunity of abusing their opponents of the
Constitutional and Protestant party; they not only did the Whigs the
favour to hate them cordially, but, as their own satires abundantly
demonstrate, they also dreaded and feared them not a little.
 
The more sober-sided attacks came from the opponents of overstrained
prerogative and those who upheld the popular rights of representation
against absolute monarchy; witness the following:--
 
 
“PLAIN DEALING,
 
_Or a Second Dialogue between Humphrey and Roger, as they were
returning home from choosing Knights of the Shire to sit in
Parliament_.
 
(PRINTED FOR T. B.)
 
_Roger._ Well overtook, neighbour. I see you are not a man
of your word; did you not promise me, when we last met,
that you would vote for our old members, that sat in the
last Parliament, to be Knights of the Shire, to sit in the
parliament at Oxford.
 
_Humphrey._ I thought to do so, but, by my brown cow, I have
been over-persuaded to the contrary by my Landlord and his
Chaplain, _Mr. Tantivie_, and a pestilent fine man, I think
they said he was a courtier, that lay at my Landlord’s house;
and what with arguments and wine, they drew aside my heart, and
made me vote against my conscience.
 
_Roger._ ’Twas ill done, neighbour _Numps_, but all their
artifices would not do, we have carried it by some hundreds
for our old members, that stood so bravely for their country.
 
_Humphrey._ I am glad of it with all my heart, for, to tell you
truly, tho’ my landlord had my voice, the old members had my
heart, and I’ll never do so again.
 
_Roger._ I hear most of the Counties in England are of the same
mind, and all the Burgess Towns, Cities, and Corporations; but
what arguments could they use to alter thy mind?
 
_Humphrey._ First, I say, they made me continually drunk, and
then my Landlord asked me so very civilly, and gave me so many
good words, and fine promises what a kind Landlord he would
be, that I forgot all your instructions; and methought he had
invincible arguments to persuade me.
 
_Roger._ What were they?
 
_Humphrey._ Nay, I have forgot them; but I thought no
Counsellor-at-Law, nor any Bishop, could have contradicted
them: I now remember one argument that took with me; you know I
was ever for the King, and he told me the King did not love the
old Parliament-men, and therefore I should not vote for them;
but I, being bold, asked him how he knew that.
 
_Roger._ What said he then?
 
_Humphrey._ Why he laid me as flat as a flounder, that is, he
fully convinced me, for, said he, if the King had loved them he
would not have dissolved them. I think that was demonstrable.
 
_Roger._ ’Tis no matter, tho’ the King did not love them, they
lov’d you and your country, and you should so far have loved
yourself, as not to have betrayed your own interest. What said
the Courtier?
 
_Humphrey._ ‘Faith he said not much to me, but I suppose he had
said enough to my Landlord.
 
_Roger._ And was this all your Landlord said to you? Had you
nothing to say for yourself? You spoke rationally the last time
we were together.
 
_Humphrey._ Nay, I was forward enough to speak I’ll assure you;
and I told them I was sure our old members would be for the
rooting up of Popery, and would stand stiffly against Arbitrary
Government.
 
_Roger._ What said they then?
 
_Humphrey._ My Landlord laughed at me, and told me I had been
among the _Presbyterian Whigs_, and bid me have a care of
being cheated into Rebellion, by those two words _Popery_ and
_Arbitrary Government_. Then he showed me a printed paper, I
think he called it _The Mistress of Iniquity_, which showed as
plain as the nose on my face, that in ’41 they did as we do
now, and by that means they brought one King to the block, and
so they would now do by our present Sovereign, God bless him.

댓글 없음: