2016년 5월 2일 월요일

Lentala of The South Seas 4

Lentala of The South Seas 4


The sun was looking over the great wall when we assembled for breakfast.
Every one had a brighter appearance. I had never seen men so terribly
cowed as these since the storms had beaten them down. The women had
looked beyond the hopelessness, and had tried to sustain the courage of
the colony. Every man was now beginning to hold up his head.
 
Some of the despair had melted from Mr. Vancouver's face; it was clear
that the lion in him was feebly straining. Mr. Rawley was recovering his
aplomb. Annabel, having in her bearing an added depth and sweetness, had
undoubtedly done much to accomplish that result with the two men, for
there was something pathetic in the tenacity with which they clung to
her.
 
On the barkentine, before the elements became destructive, she had been
aloof toward the other women and the children; but on the beach, at the
feast, and on the weary march to the valley, she had given a cheering
smile, word, or deed to those about. The promise thus made was meeting
fulfilment this morning. She had assumed charge of the breakfast
preparations, and, seeing that Christopher yearned to do kindly service,
had made him her executive. I often caught her look of wonder at his
unfailing intelligence, patience, and gentleness in doing her bidding.
 
After breakfast the men began to talk among themselves. Captain Mason
went over and said something to Mr. Vancouver, who shook his head, and
the captain returned to me.
 
"Now that the men are rousing," he said, "it is time to organize. Mr.
Vancouver declines to take the lead."
 
"You are the one for that," I declared.
 
"No. You have the military training and the tongue."
 
"But you have wisdom and a longer experience in discipline. Let's
compromise. Take the leadership. I'll do your talking."
 
"Very well," he said. "There's no need to caution you, but the others
ought to know; these trees may have ears We need organization for
defense."
 
At the end of a heartening address to the colony I called for the
selection of a president. Mr. Vancouver named Captain Mason, who
was elected. I was chosen his assistant, to Mr. Vancouver's evident
annoyance. Dr. Preston, a young physician, was made superintendent of
the camp.
 
The men squared their shoulders; the women's faces brightened. In a
few words I urged against any restlessness, any plotting,--anything,
in fine, that would have the faintest color of mistrust or disobedience
toward the king. "Be patient. Hold together." That was the watchword.
 
Gato, the interpreter, soon appeared with a crowd of natives, and
indicated that Christopher and I, with twenty picked men, should follow
him. A short distance down the stream we came upon cleared land, and
were given our first lesson in farming. Our men winced under this and
the indefinite term of imprisonment which it implied. But the word was
passed round: "Wait. Be patient." The one hundred and fifty intelligent
American men of us would find a way to match any ten thousand heathen
under the sun. Blessed be the American brag! It is the front of
something good behind.
 
The lesson was concluded in the early afternoon, for the sun was growing
hot. Gato led us down the stream a mile to a low ridge stretching across
the valley. Not a break in the great wall enclosing the valley was
visible, except the thin cleft which had given us ingress; but I
reasoned that at the lower end there must be a gorge through which
the stream issued, although no sign of it could be seen. Gato made us
understand that this transverse ridge was the boundary of our freedom.
He pointed out two landmarks springing from the walls and marking the
terminals of the ridge.
 
The one on the far side of the river was a barren bluff; opposite it,
and forming part of the wall behind, there suddenly appeared a hideous
caricature of a human face, a ferocious gargoyle, rudely fashioned by
nature from the upper front of the cliff, protruding from the rock, and
leering down horribly. It must have been a hundred feet from forelock to
chin.
 
I withstood the shock badly, but was steadied by noting the deep
satisfaction in Gato's eyes as he observed me. Unmistakably it was one
of malignant triumph, instantly gone, but almost as disconcerting as the
awful face itself. I felt that the ghastly apparition on the wall held a
significance reaching the very depths of our fate. It was the embodiment
of all the silent and implacable menaces hovering over the lethal
fairness that environed us.
 
It had the blackish color of the rock, with reeking perpendicular
streaks of green alternating with dull red. The forehead and chin
receded in a simian angle; bulging eyes leered; below high cheek bones
were mummy-like recessions, and hungry shadows filled them; the nose was
flat, and the nostrils spread bestially.
 
Gato, informing us that his men would be on hand the next morning, took
himself away. It gave a creepy sensation to note the snaky smoothness
with which these men could sink out of sight.
 
Our party started for camp. A heaviness sat on me, and I did not wish to
talk. Christopher and I fell behind, and the others left us. I could not
bear that any but Christopher should see my perturbation. Several times
I glanced back to see the face on the wall. Its malignancy grew even
more terrible through the hazing distance, and I was glad when the
forest shut it out. If the spectacle affected me so deeply, what greater
hold must it not have had on the natives? And there was the significant
look that I had caught from Gato.
 
On top of the opposite wall I discovered near the edge what appeared to
be a large stone table, or altar, and its position with reference to the
face suggested a sinister purpose.
 
Now that the men were gone, hopelessness fell upon me. Never had
anything like such heavy responsibilities crept into my life. A sense of
my inadequacy grew unendurable; and, overcome by weariness of soul and
body, I flung myself on the ground and buried my face in my arm.
 
Christopher presently stepped away with a sprightliness quite unusual,
but I had not the spirit to look up. Even returning footsteps and a
low murmur of voices failed to stir me. I was recalled by Christopher's
quiet remark:
 
"Some one to see you, sir."
 
I sat up, and discovered a native lad with him. His loose dress of
blouse, trousers, and straw hat was of the commonest material. He was
as unlike the native men as I had observed the fan-bearer to be, but his
manner was shy and timid, lacking the careless defiance of hers. With a
finger on his lips he beckoned us to follow him.
 
In a secluded spot a little distance away, we sat down. My first
surprise was when he began to talk. In a musical voice, he groped for
words that I could understand, and in that way used a polyglot
language, some words badly pronounced, and others spoken with surprising
correctness.
 
First, he enjoined secrecy, for should the king learn that he had
come----The lad finished with a grimace, and a swipe of the hand across
his throat. He made me pledge the sun to burn me up, the moon to strike
me a stark lunatic, and the stars to pierce me with their lances, should
I betray his confidence,--all this solemnly, but with a twinkle in the
back of his eye.
 
Second, he was Beelo, brother of the king's fanbearer, Lentala, a good
girl in a way, but----A droll shake of his head left her in the air.
Lentala and he were protégés of the king and queen, and enjoyed uncommon
privileges, having been members of the king's household since childhood.
The queen was very sweet and gentle, and they were fond of her. She had
no children of her own.
 
And, third, Lentala wished Beelo to come surreptitiously to me in order
to learn English. She had a special reason for that. Neither the king
nor any of the other natives must know. That was all. Would I teach him,
that he in turn might instruct her?
 
Our conversation, carried on in a mixture of languages, must be here
given in English.
 
"Indeed, I will, and gladly, Beelo!" I exclaimed; "but why not bring
Lentala, that I may teach you together?" I seized his hand in my joy of
this heavensent opportunity. It was a small, delicate hand.
 
"She _can't_ come," he answered.
 
"Why not?"
 
"Why--she's a girl!"
 
"But she might come with you." I was pleased with the discovery that the
savage girl had the fine instinct which establishes self-guarding and
self-respecting conventions.
 
"The distance is long. Girls have to wear skirts, you know, and girls
are not as active as boys. Lentala, with her skirts, would be seen, and
the king would find out. I can slip through anywhere."
 
I nodded resignedly. Only with the greatest difficulty could I refrain
from asking him many questions; but how did I know that he was not a
spy? In establishing relations with him I was playing with every life
in the colony. I observed Christopher. His air of listening to distant
voices was not present, and I felt reassured for the moment.
 
Beelo was anxious to begin; and he had his first lesson. Never had
I found so eager and sweet-tempered a pupil, and his quickness was
extraordinary. I drilled him first in the names of familiar objects.
 
"What is your name?" he plumped at me.

댓글 없음: