2016년 5월 2일 월요일

The Merry Anne 13

The Merry Anne 13


"Linding," said McGlory, "come back here."
 
Larsen and Harper looked at each other,--they had not told
Linding,--then between them they woke him and sent him aft.
 
Without a word the mate motioned the sailor to help him lower the boat
over the stern.
 
"He's goin' ashore," whispered Harper. Ole nodded. "He's beckonin' for
us--say, Ole, shall we go?"
 
But the Swede started promptly aft. The habit of obedience is so strong
in a well-dis-posed sailor that only great provocation will overthrow
it. With but a moment's hesitation, Harper followed.
 
"Climb down there," said the mate; "and mind you're quiet about it."
 
Down they went; McGlory came after and took the rudder; and, propelled
by two pairs of oars, the boat slipped away, crossed a patch of
moonlight, and entered the mysterious region of shadows.
 
"Way enough--easy now!"
 
They literally could not distinguish the shore--it was all distorted,
unnatural. They dragged the oars in the water and looked over their
shoulders. Linding was in the bow with a long boat-hook ready in his
hands. Then they found themselves floating quietly alongside a narrow
landing pier, and it was necessary to tumble in the oars in a hurry.
 
Linding checked the boat's headway, the others reached out and caught
the planking with their hands; and McGlory stepped out.
 
"Make her fast," he said, "and come ashore."
 
They obeyed.
 
"Now, boys,"--he seemed of a sudden to be making an attempt at
good-nature,--"I want you to wait here for me. I 'll be back in five
minutes." And walking along a path that mounted the bluff, he left them
standing there.
 
For a few moments they were silent. Then Harper spoke up: "Look here
fellows, I don't know how it strikes you, but I'm hanged if I like this
way o' doin' business. What we'd better do is to pull right back an'
wake the Cap'n."
 
"Meester McGlory, she haf geef us orders, ya-as?"
 
"What's that got to do with it?"
 
But the two Swedes shook their heads. They were slow of body and mind;
the idea of rowing off without the mate was too daring. "You won't do
it, then?"
 
They looked at each other.
 
"All right," said Harper, pulling off his coat, "all right. Have it your
way. But I'm goin' back, an' I'm goin' now." He tossed his coat into the
boat, pulled off his boots and threw them after, let himself down into
the water, waded a few steps, and struck out for the schooner. It was
but a little way. He swam around to the stern, and drew himself up by
the boat tackle, which had been left hanging down close to the water.
Rushing down into the cabin, where a single lantern burned dimly, he
bent over the Captain, who lay dressed in his bunk, and shook him.
 
"Wake up, Cap'n, wake up!"
 
"Lemme be, will you?"
 
"Wake up! It's me--Harper."
 
"I don't care if it is. You needn't drown me."
 
"But, Cap'n!"
 
"Well, what's the row?" Slowly Dick raised his head and looked around.
"Good Lord! What time is it?"
 
"Twelve o'clock."
 
"Twelve o'clock _what!_"
 
"Midnight."
 
"Midnight your gran'ma!"
 
"But it is. Mr. McGlory, he--"
 
"Just let go o' me, will you? Go over there and drip on the steps." Dick
was slowly swinging his feet around and sitting up. "You've soaked my
bedding now. What's the matter with you anyhow? Been trying to swim
home?"
 
"No, Cap'n, but Ole says we're up at--"
 
"See here, why haven't I been waked up?"
 
"Mr. McGlory wouldn't let me wake you."
 
"Wouldn't let you?"
 
"No, he--"
 
"What's the matter with your lip?"
 
"McGlory hit me."
 
"Hit you!" Dick sprang to his feet. "What in thunder are you talking
about?"
 
"I'm tryin' to tell you, Cap'n, if you 'll just listen--"
 
"Go on, be quick about it."
 
"You've been sleepin' ever since we left Middle Island. Ole an' me we
seen that the course was nor'east instead o' nor'west, an' I was goin'
to wake you, but he wouldn't let me, an' I hollered loud but it
didn't wake you, an' now we're in a place Ole thinks is Burnt Cove on
Manitoulin Island, an'--an' Mr. McGlory's made me row him ashore, an'
told us to wait there for him, an' I swum back to wake you--"
 
Dick was standing close to Harper, staring at him with a mixture of
astonishment and incredulity. Now he brushed him aside and ran up the
steps. Sure enough, on every side were trees and the shadows of trees.
The Lake was not to be seen. He turned again to Harper who was close at
his elbow. "Where's the boat?"
 
"Right over there--not a hundred yards."
 
"Ole!" called Dick.
 
"Ya-as."
 
"Bring that boat back and hustle about it."
 
In a moment they heard the clanking of oars, and soon the boat appeared
in the moonlight and ran alongside.
 
"What are you doing there?" said Dick.
 
"Mees' McGlory, she say to wait."
 
"Oh, she does, does she! Well, we 'll see about it." He leaped down to
the boat and took the stern. "Pull ashore."
 
"Cap'n," said Harper, "will you let me go?"
 
"Sure, if you want to. Take Linding's place. Linding, you stay on the
schooner. And mind, there's nobody but me giving orders around here.
Pull away, boys."
 
The landing pier was deserted when they ran alongside. "Which way did he
go?" asked Dick, as he stepped out.
 
Harper pointed at the dim path.
 
"How long ago was it?"
 
"Just a few minutes."
 
"All right. We 'll wait here." He sat down with his back against a post,
and filled his pipe. "Got a match, Pink? Oh, I forgot, you're wet. Ole,
give me a match." He lighted up and settled back to smoke and think.
 
McGlory had evidently walked some little distance back from the Cove,
for nearly ten minutes passed before they heard his step in the brush.
Dick sat still until he saw the mate coming down the bluff, then he
said, "Get aboard, McGlory."
 
At the first word McGlory stopped short.
 
"Well," Dick added, rising, "how long are you going to keep us waiting?"
 
Still there was no word from the motionless figure. Not until Dick
stepped to the stern of the boat did he speak. "Come up here a minute,
will you, Cap'n? I want to speak to you."
 
"You can do any speaking you have to do on the schooner. Swing around,
Pink. I 'll hold her."
 
"Just a minute, Cap'n, you know what I mean."
 
"All I know about you is that you can't be trusted."
 
"Seems to me you're gettin' mighty innocent all to once."
 
"You can have your choice, McGlory, of getting aboard or staying behind.
For my part, I'd a heap sight rather leave you behind."
 
"You needn't talk that way. I know what I'm doin'--I know I'm not to
talk to you--"
 
"All right, Pink,"--Dick stepped into the boat,--"let her go."
 
McGlory turned and looked back up the path, as if listening. Then
suddenly he ran out on the landing and got aboard just as the men were
pushing off. He took the bow thwart, and settled down without a word.
When they reached the schooner, he got out the boat-hook, and held her
steady while Dick climbed out.
 
"That 'll do there," said Dick, when McGlory and Larsen were hoisting
the boat up to the davits. "Let her down again. Pink, you'd better take
Linding and sound the channel ahead of us. We 'll start right out."
 
"That ain't necessary," put in the mate, hurriedly; "I can take her out."

댓글 없음: