2016년 5월 2일 월요일

The Merry Anne 15

The Merry Anne 15


Off Waukegan on the last day the wind swung around to the south, nearly
dead ahead; and as the schooner lost headway and was forced into beating
to windward, the dread suddenly gave place to impatience. So variable
were his thoughts indeed, as the miles slipped astern and the long
green bluff that ends in Grosse Pointe grew nearer and plainer, that his
courage oozed away.
 
Far down the Lake, between the Lake View crib and the horizon, was a
speck of a sail. Dick's heart sank--he knew as if he could make out the
painted name that it was the _Captain_. He watched it hungrily as the
_Merry Anne_, headed in close to the waterworks pier, swept easily
around, and started on the last outward tack. Then he called to Pink,
and had the sheets hauled close; and he laughed softly and nervously as
the schooner responded with a list to port and a merry little fling
of spray. He could at least come in with a rush, with all his colors
flying.
 
He was waiting for the tiny sail to swing around and point northward.
He was disappointed. He reached for the glass and took a long look--then
lowered it, and smiled bitterly. There were two figures seated in the
stern of the _Captain_.
 
The _Schmidt_ was lying on the south side of the pier; and the wind
enabled Dick to come easily up on the opposite side and make fast. It
was late in the afternoon, and Dick released the two Swedes, both of
whom had families on shore. Then he crossed the pier, between the high
piles of lumber, and found Henry sitting quietly, as usual, in his
cabin.
 
To the older man's greeting Dick responded moodily. "I want to talk to
you, Henry. What's my reputation, anyhow, among the boys? Do they call
me mean, or a driver, or hard to get along with?"
 
Henry looked at him curiously, and shook his head. "I never heard
anything of that sort. Your row with Roche was the only thing, and I
guess he was a poor stick."
 
"Well, I'm through with McGlory, too."
 
"Through with him?" Henry was startled. "You haven't discharged him?"
 
"No, but I'm going to to-night. I've brought him back here, and he wants
to stay, but I won't have him aboard another minute."
 
"What's the trouble?"
 
Dick gave him the whole story, including the conversation between
McGlory and Harper up in the straits.
 
"I don't like the sound of it very well," said Henry, when he had
finished. "Couldn't you get on with him a little longer?"
 
"After that?"
 
"I know--there is some deviltry behind it. But still he is a good man.
You 'll have hard work finding a better. And honest, I would kind of hate
to face Cap'n Stenzenberger myself with this story."
 
"Why? I can't have a man around that's going to steal my schooner in my
sleep."
 
"Oh, well, he could never do that again. I can't see what he was
thinking of. Do you see into it at all?"
 
Dick had been staring at the cabin table. At this question he raised his
eyes, for an instant, with an odd __EXPRESSION__. "I know all I want to.
The whole thing is so outrageous that I am not going to try to follow it
up."
 
"He talked to your man about a rake-off, didn't he?"
 
Dick nodded.
 
"What do you suppose he was going to rake?"
 
Dick, whose eyes were lowered, and who was therefore unconscious of the
pallor of his cousin's face, said nothing.
 
"I know we don't look at some things quite the same, Dick," Henry went
on. "But if anybody on _my_ schooner is going to do any raking, he has
got to see me first. A dollar's a dollar, my boy. When you are my age,
you will think so too."
 
"I don't mix in this business."
 
"No more would I. But it seems to me, if McGlory's got some way of his
own of making a little pile, and if you could have your share for just
letting him stay aboard, you'd be sort of a fool not to do it."
 
"Excuse _me!_"
 
Henry smiled indulgently. "There's nothing very bad in what you have
told me. Of course, if there are things you _haven'_t told me, it might
make a difference."
 
"You have the whole story."
 
"Do you know, Dick, you make me think of the folks up at the college
here. You know that brewer that died repentant and left five hundred
thousand dollars to the Biblical School? Well, a lot of the old
preachers got stirred up over it and made them refuse the money--
made 'em refuse five hundred thousand cash! Good Lord! if these
particular folks would look into the private history of all the dollars
in the country, they'd never touch one of them,--not one. There isn't a
dollar of the lot that hasn't got a bad spot somewhere, like the rest
of us. The main thing is, are your own hands clean when you take it? If
they are, the dollar can't hurt you."
 
"But look here, Henry, my mind's made up about this. I won't have that
fellow on my schooner."
 
"Going to turn him off to-night?"
 
"Yes, right now."
 
"All right. You can send him over here. I 'll give him a bunk till
morning. But what are you going to do for a mate?"
 
"Pink is all right. I could go farther and do worse."
 
"All right. Tell Joe to bring his things along."
 
 
 
 
CHAPTER VI--THE RED SEAL LABEL
 
 
[Illustration: 0152]
 
IT was on Friday morning that the _Merry Anne_ had sailed away from
Lakeville for her first trip to Spencer's. On this same Friday another
set of persons were passing through a series of events which concern
this story.
 
Dick had sailed out at daybreak. A few hours later, when the morning
was still young, Roche, who had come down by train from Manistee, was
hanging about near "The Teamster's Friend." now standing on the corner
by the lumber office looking stealthily up and down the street, now
passing by on the opposite sidewalk, closely watching the screened
windows. Finally he crossed over and entered the saloon to ask for
McGlory. Murphy, the senior partner in the business, who lived a
few blocks away, came in for his day's work and found Roche there.
"McGlory," said Murphy, "won't be back for a week or so." At this, with
an angry exclamation, Roche went out. The quantity of bad whiskey he had
taken in since his discharge from the _Merry Anne_ at the Manistee pier,
had not worked to change his humor or to calm his faculties. He was
plunging around the lumber office into a side street when Beveridge, who
had been watching his every movement, accosted him.
 
"Beg pardon, have you got a match?"
 
"Hey? What's that?"
 
"Have you got a match?"
 
"A match? Why, sure."
 
"Much obliged. I've got the cigars. Better make a fair trade. You 'll
find 'em a good smoke."
 
"Well, don't care 'f I do. Here, you can't light in this wind."
 
"Oh, yes, I'm Irish. Say, haven't I seen you somewhere?"
 
"Couldn't say."
 
"Why, sure I have. Isn't your name Roche?"
 
"That's what it is."
 
"And you're mate of the _Merry Anne_, sailing out of Lakeville?"
 
"You're wrong there."
 
"No, I'm sure of it. I've seen you too many times."
 
"Why, do you b'long out there?"
 
"Yes, I live at Lakeville."
 
"Well, look here; I 'll tell you how it is. I was on the _Merry Anne_,
but I ain't any more."
 
"Oh, you quit Smiley?"
 
"You're right, I quit him. No more Smiley for me."
 
"What's the trouble?"
 
"What _ain't_ the trouble, you'd better say. But I ain't tellin'.
Smiley's done me dirt, an' I know 'im for just what he is, but I ain't tellin'."   

댓글 없음: