2017년 1월 24일 화요일

Armenian Legends and Poems 10

Armenian Legends and Poems 10


ARTASHES AND SATENIK
 
From the History of Armenia,
 
by
 
MOSES OF KHORENE
 
 
At this time the Alans united with all the people of the mountain
country, and having taken possession of the half of Georgia, spread
themselves in great multitudes over our land. And Artashes collected a
mighty host together, and there was war between the two great nations.
The Alans retreated somewhat, and crossing over the river Kur they
encamped on its northern bank. And when Artashes arrived, he encamped
on the southern bank, so that the river was between them. But because
the son of the King of the Alans was taken captive by the Armenian
hosts and brought to Artashes, the King of the Alans sought peace,
promising to give to Artashes whatsoever he should ask. And he swore an
eternal peace unto him, so that the sons of the Alans might not be
carried away captive into the land of the Armenians. And when Artashes
would not consent to give back the youth, his sister came to the
river’s bank and stood upon a great rock. And by means of the
interpreters she spoke to the camp of Artashes, saying:“O brave
Artashes, who hast vanquished the great nation of the Alans, unto thee
I speak. Come, hearken unto the bright-eyed daughter of the Alan King,
and give back the youth. For it is not the way of heroes to destroy
life at the root, nor for the sake of humbling and enslaving a hostage
to establish everlasting enmity between two great nations.” And on
hearing such wise sayings, Artashes went to the bank of the river. And
seeing that the maiden was beautiful, and having heard these words of
wisdom from her, he desired her. And calling Smpad his chamberlain he
told him the wishes of his heart, and commanded that he should obtain
the maiden for him, swearing unto the great Alan nation oaths of peace,
and promising to send the youth back in safety. And this appeared wise
in the eyes of Smpad, and he sent messengers unto the King of the Alans
asking him to give the lady Satenik his daughter as wife unto Artashes.
And the King of the Alans answered, “From whence shall brave Artashes
give thousands upon thousands and tens of thousands upon tens of
thousands unto the Alans in return for the maiden?”
 
Concerning this the poets of that land sing in their songs:
 
 
“Brave King Artashes
Mounted his fine black charger,
And took the red leathern cord
With the golden ring.
Like a swift-winged eagle
He passed over the river,
And cast the golden ring
Round the waist of the Alan Princess;
Causing much pain
To the tender maiden
As he bore her swiftly
Back to his camp.”
 
 
Which being interpreted meaneth that he was commanded to give much
gold, leather, and crimson dye in exchange for the maiden. So also they
sing of the wedding:
 
 
“It rained showers of gold when Artashes became a bridegroom.
It rained pearls when Satenik became a bride.”
 
 
For it was the custom of our kings to scatter coins amongst the people
when they arrived at the doors of the temple for their wedding, as also
for the queens to scatter pearls in their bridechamber.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
MY DEATH
 
By BEDROS TOURIAN
 
 
When Death’s pale angel comes to me,
And smiling sweetly on my head,
Bids all my pains and sorrows flee,
Believe not then that I am dead.
 
When my cold limbs they shroud with care,
And on my brow love’s tear-drops shed,
And lay me on my ebon bier,
Believe not then that I am dead.
 
And when the tolling bell shall ring
To my black coffin’s muted tread
Death’s fiendish laughter, quivering,
Believe not then that I am dead.
 
And when the black-robed priests shall sing,
And prayers and incense round me spread,
With faces dark and sorrowing
Believe not still that I am dead.
 
When on my tomb they heap the clay,
And leave me in my lonely bed,
And loved ones turn with sobs away
Then never think that I am dead.
 
But if my grave neglected lie,
My memory too be gone and fled,
And dear ones pass unheeding by,
Ah, then believe that I am dead!
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
THE EAGLE’S LOVE
 
By SHUSHANIK GOURGHINIAN
 
(Born 1876)
 
 
An eagle sat upon the fell,
He sat and sang alone.
A pretty maid passed in the dell,
He sawhis heart was won.
 
“Ah, lovely maid, enchanting maid,
Alas, thou canst not fly!
Down in the vale thou soon shalt fade,
And like a floweret die.
 
“I’d make thee queen, if thou could’st fly,
Of all my mountains steep;
At night I’d sing thy lullaby,
And in my wings thou’dst sleep.
 
“Those eyes are like black night to me,
That smile like sunshine bright;
And heaven itself would quickly be
Subdued before thy might.
 
“Good Lord, canst thou not fly at all?
Who made thee without wings?
Art thou content down there to crawl
With loathsome creeping things?”
 
Thus on his rock the eagle proud
Sat singing, then he sailed
O’er hill and valley, and aloud
The maiden’s fate bewailed.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
CONCERNING THE ROSE AND THE NIGHTINGALE
 
By GRIGORIS OF AGHTAMAR
 
(Fifteenth Century)
 
 
The Rose was gone. When to the empty tent
The Nightingale returned, his heart was torn.
He filled the night with mourning and lament,
And wandered through the darkness lone and lorn.
 
“To thee I speak, O Garden, answer me,
Why did’st thou not preserve my precious Rose,
Whose perfume breathed of immortality,
Whose colour made her queen of all that grows?
 
“May’st thou become a desert parched and dry,
And may the flowers that grow within thee fade;
May thy protecting walls in ruin lie
By ruthless feet thy soil in waste be laid.
 
“Ye trees, now cast away your verdant leaves,
And rushing torrents, your swift courses stay.
Reckless I speak, as one who sorely grieves,

댓글 없음: