2017년 1월 31일 화요일

Hearts of Three 3

Hearts of Three 3



And while Francis returned delightedly to his fishing-rods, Destiny, in
Thomas Regan’s down-town private office, was working overtime. Having
arranged with his various brokers to buy, and, through his divers
channels of secret publicity having let slip the cryptic tip that
something was wrong with Tampico Petroleum’s concessions from the
Mexican government, Thomas Regan studied a report of his own oil-expert
emissary who had spent two months on the spot spying out what Tampico
Petroleum really had in sight and prospect.
 
A clerk brought in a card with the information that the visitor was
importunate and foreign. Regan listened, glanced at the card, and said:
 
“Tell this Mister Senor Alvarez Torres of Ciodad de Colon that I can’t
see him.”
 
Five minutes later the clerk was back, this time with a message
pencilled on the card. Regan grinned as he read it:
 
“_Dear Mr. Regan_,
“_Honoured Sir_:
 
“_I have the honour to inform you that I have a tip on the location
of the treasure Sir Henry Morgan buried in old pirate days._
 
“_Alvarez Torres._”
 
Regan shook his head, and the clerk was nearly out of the room when his
employer suddenly recalled him.
 
“Show him inat once.”
 
In the interval of being alone, Regan chuckled to himself as he rolled
the new idea over in his mind. “The unlicked cub!” he muttered through
the smoke of the cigar he was lighting. “Thinks he can play the lion
part old R.H.M. played. A trimming is what he needs, and old Grayhead
Thomas R. will see that he gets it.”
 
Senor Alvarez Torres’ English was as correct as his modish spring suit,
and though the bleached yellow of his skin advertised his Latin-American
origin, and though his black eyes were eloquent of the mixed lustres of
Spanish and Indian long compounded, nevertheless he was as thoroughly
New Yorkish as Thomas Regan could have wished.
 
“By great effort, and years of research, I have finally won to the clue
to the buccaneer gold of Sir Henry Morgan,” he preambled. “Of course
it’s on the Mosquito Coast. I’ll tell you now that it’s not a thousand
miles from the Chiriqui Lagoon, and that Bocas del Toro, within reason,
may be described as the nearest town. I was born thereeducated in
Paris, howeverand I know the neighbourhood like a book. A small
schoonerthe outlay is cheap, most very cheapbut the returns, the
rewardthe treasure!”
 
Senor Torres paused in eloquent inability to describe more definitely,
and Thomas Regan, hard man used to dealing with hard men, proceeded to
bore into him and his data like a cross-examining criminal lawyer.
 
“Yes,” Senor Torres quickly admitted, “I am somewhat embarrassedhow
shall I say?for immediate funds.”
 
“You need the money,” the stock operator assured him brutally, and he
bowed pained acquiescence.
 
Much more he admitted under the rapid-fire interrogation. It was true,
he had but recently left Bocas del Toro, but he hoped never again to go
back. And yet he would go back if possibly some arrangement....
 
But Regan shut him off with the abrupt way of the master-man dealing
with lesser fellow-creatures. He wrote a check, in the name of Alvarez
Torres, and when that gentleman glanced at it he read the figures of a
thousand dollars.
 
“Now here’s the idea,” said Regan. “I put no belief whatsoever in your
story. But I have a young friendmy heart is bound up in the boy but he
is too much about town, the white lights and the white-lighted ladies,
and the restyou understand?” And Senor Alvarez Torres bowed as one man
of the world to another. “Now, for the good of his health, as well as
his wealth and the saving of his soul, the best thing that could happen
to him is a trip after treasure, adventure, exercise, and ... you
readily understand, I am sure.”
 
Again Alvarez Torres bowed.
 
“You need the money,” Regan continued. “Strive to interest him. That
thousand is for your effort. Succeed in interesting him so that he
departs after old Morgan’s gold, and two thousand more is yours. So
thoroughly succeed in interesting him that he remains away three months,
two thousand moresix months, five thousand. Oh, believe me, I knew his
father. We were comrades, partners, II might say, almost brothers. I
would sacrifice any sum to win his son to manhood’s wholesome path. What
do you say? The thousand is yours to begin with. Well?”
 
With trembling fingers Senor Alvarez Torres folded and unfolded the
check.
 
“I ... I accept,” he stammered and faltered in his eagerness. “I ... I
... How shall I say?... I am yours to command.”
 
Five minutes later, as he arose to go, fully instructed in the part he
was to play and with his story of Morgan’s treasure revised to
convincingness by the brass-tack business acumen of the stock-gambler,
he blurted out, almost facetiously, yet even more pathetically:
 
“And the funniest thing about it, Mr. Regan, is that it is true. Your
advised changes in my narrative make it sound more true, but true it is
under it all. I need the money. You are most munificent, and I shall do
my best.... I ... I pride myself that I am an artist. But the real and
solemn truth is that the clue to Morgan’s buried loot is genuine. I have
had access to records inaccessible to the public, which is neither here
nor there, for the men of my own familythey are family recordshave had
similar access, and have wasted their lives before me in the futile
search. Yet were they on the right clueexcept that their wits made them
miss the spot by twenty miles. It was there in the records. They missed
it, because it was, I think, a deliberate trick, a conundrum, a puzzle,
a disguisement, a maze, which I, and I alone, have penetrated and
solved. The early navigators all played such tricks on the charts they
drew. My Spanish race so hid the Hawaiian Islands by five degrees of
longitude.”
 
All of which was in turn Greek to Thomas Regan, who smiled his
acceptance of listening and with the same smile conveyed his busy
business-man’s tolerant unbelief.
 
Scarcely was Senor Torres gone, when Francis Morgan was shown in.
 
“Just thought I’d drop around for a bit of counsel,” he said, greetings
over. “And to whom but you should I apply, who so closely played the
game with my father? You and he were partners, I understand, on some of
the biggest deals. He always told me to trust your judgment. And, well,
here I am, and I want to go fishing. What’s up with Tampico Petroleum?”
 
“What _is_ up?” Regan countered, with fine simulation of ignorance of
the very thing of moment he was responsible for precipitating. “Tampico
Petroleum?”
 
Francis nodded, dropped into a chair, and lighted a cigarette, while
Regan consulted the ticker.
 
“Tampico Petroleum is uptwo pointsyou should worry,” he opined.
 
“That’s what I say,” Francis concurred. “I should worry. But just the
same, do you think some bunch, onto the inside value of itand it’s
bigI speak under the rose, you know, I mean in absolute confidence?”
Regan nodded. “It is big. It is right. It is the real thing. It is
legitimate. Now this activitywould you think that somebody, or some
bunch, is trying to get control?”
 
His father’s associate, with the reverend gray of hair thatching his
roof of crooked brain, shook the thatch.
 
“Why,” he amplified, “it may be just a flurry, or it may be a hunch on
the stock public that it’s really good. What do you say?”
 
“Of course it’s good,” was Francis’ warm response. “I’ve got reports,
Regan, so good they’d make your hair stand up. As I tell all my friends,
this is the real legitimate. It’s a damned shame I had to let the public
in on it. It was so big, I just had to. Even all the money my father
left me, couldn’t swing itI mean, free money, not the stuff tied
upmoney to work with.”
 
“Are you short?” the older man queried.
 
“Oh, I’ve got a tidy bit to operate with,” was the airy reply of youth.
 
“You mean...?”
 
“Sure. Just that. If she drops, I’ll buy. It’s finding money.”
 
“Just about how far would you buy?” was the next searching
interrogation, masked by an __EXPRESSION__ of mingled good humor and
approbation.
 
“All I’ve got,” came Francis Morgan’s prompt answer. “I tell you, Regan,
it’s immense.”
 
“I haven’t looked into it to amount to anything, Francis; but I will say
from the little I know that it listens good.”
 
“Listens! I tell you, Regan, it’s the Simon-pure, straight legitimate,
and it’s a shame to have it listed at all. I don’t have to wreck anybody
or anything to pull it across. The world will be better for my shooting
into it I am afraid to say how many hundreds of millions of barrels of
real oil——say, I’ve got one well alone, in the Huasteca field, that’s
gushed 27,000 barrels a day for seven months. And it’s still doing it.
That’s the drop in the bucket we’ve got piped to market now. And it’s
twenty-two gravity, and carries less than two-tenths of one per cent. of
sediment. And there’s one gushersixty miles of pipe to build to it, and
pinched down to the limit of safety, that’s pouring out all over the
landscape just about seventy thousand barrels a day.Of course, all in
confidence, you know. We’re doing nicely, and I don’t want Tampico Petroleum to skyrocket.”

댓글 없음: