2017년 1월 24일 화요일

Armenian Legends and Poems 9

Armenian Legends and Poems 9



THE WIND IS HOWLING THROUGH THE WINTER NIGHT
 
By AVETIS ISAHAKIAN
 
 
The wind is howling through the winter night,
Like to a pack of angry wolves that cry.
My hapless willows bend before its might;
Their broken branches in the garden lie.
 
Alas, my heart, thy love since childhood’s days
Hath wept; thy dream was understood by none.
Seek not in vain a friend to know thy ways
The soul is born eternally alone.
 
Thou from thy hopeless heart that love shalt cast
That child of earth, false, illegitimate:
Shalt fling it to the night and wintry blast
Out in the stormthere let it find its fate.
 
There motherless and orphaned let it weep,
And let the wind its sobbings onward bear
Unto some desert place, or stormy deep
But not where human soul its voice may hear.
 
The wind is howling in its agony
All through this snow-bound night, with piercing cry;
Alas, beneath the broken willow tree
My shattered love lies dyinglet it die.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
THE ARMENIAN POET’S PRAYER
 
By ALEXANDER DZADOURIAN
 
(Born 1870)
 
 
O God, ’tis not for laurel wreaths I pray,
For pompous funeral or jubilee;
Nor yet for fame beyond my life’s decay
All these my country will accord to me.
 
One favour, Lord of Heaven, I implore
One that my land to me will never give:
Grant me a crust of bread, or else such store
Of grace that I on air may learn to live!
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
THE CHRAGAN PALACE
 
By THOMAS TERZYAN
 
(18421909)
 
 
Have you ever seen that wondrous building,
Whose white shadows in the blue wave sleep?
There Carrara sent vast mounds of marble,
And Propontis, beauty of the deep.
 
From the tombs of centuries awaking,
Souls of every clime and every land
Have poured forth their rarest gifts and treasures
Where those shining halls in glory stand.
 
Ships that pass before that stately palace,
Gliding by with open sails agleam,
In its shadow pause and gaze, astonished,
Thinking it some Oriental dream.
 
New its form, more wondrous than the Gothic,
Than the Doric or Ionic fair;
At command of an Armenian genius [8]
Did the master builder rear it there.
 
By the windows, rich with twisted scroll-work,
Rising upward, marble columns shine,
And the sunbeams lose their way there, wandering
Where a myriad ornaments entwine.
 
An immortal smile, its bright reflection
In the water of the blue sea lies,
And it shames Granada’s famed Alhambra,
O’er whose beauty wondering bend the skies.
 
Oft at midnight, in the pale, faint starlight,
When its airy outline, clear and fair,
On the far horizon is depicted,
With its trees and groves around it there,
 
You can fancy that those stones grow living,
And, amid the darkness of the night,
Change to lovely songs, to which the spirit,
Dreaming, listens with a vague delight.
 
Have you ever seen that wondrous building
Whose white shadows in the blue wave sleep?
There Carrara sent vast mounds of marble,
And Propontis, beauty of the deep.
 
It is not a mass of earthly matter,
Not a work from clay or marble wrought;
From the mind of an Armenian genius
Stands embodied there a noble thought.
 
 
Translated by Alice Stone Blackwell.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
THE DREAM
 
By SMPAD SHAHAZIZ
 
(18401897)
 
 
Soft and low a voice breathed o’er me,
Near me did my mother seem;
Flashed a ray of joy before me,
But, alas, it was a dream!
 
There the murmuring streamlet flowing
Scattered radiant pearls around,
Pure and clear, like crystal glowing
But it was a dream, unsound.
 
And my mother’s mournful singing
Took me back to childhood’s day,
To my mind her kisses bringing
’Twas a dream and passed away!
 
To her heart she pressed me yearning,
Wiped her eyes which wet did seem;
And her tears fell on me burning
Why should it have been a dream?
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
THE SORROWS OF ARMENIA
 
 
In many a distant, unknown land,
My sons belovèd exiled roam,
Servile they kiss the stranger’s hand;
How shall I find and bring them home?
 
The ages pass, no tidings come;
My brave ones fall, are lost and gone.
My blood is chilled, my voice is dumb,
And friend or comfort I have none.
 
With endless griefs my heart is worn,
Eternal sorrow is my doom;
Far from my sons, despis’d, forlorn,
I must descend the darksome tomb.
 
Thou shepherd wandering o’er the hill,
Come weep with me my children lost;
Let mournful strains the valleys fill
For those we loved and valued most.
 
Fly, crane, Armenia’s bird, depart;
Tell them I die of grief; and tell

댓글 없음: