2017년 1월 31일 화요일

Hearts of Three 9

Hearts of Three 9



“You dare!” she threatened him. “It’s only a baby labarri, and its bite
is harmless. I thought it was a viperine. They look alike when the
labarri is small.”
 
The constriction of the circulation by the tourniquet pained her, and
she glanced down and discovered his handkerchief knotted around her leg.
 
“Oh, what have you done?”
 
A warm blush began to suffuse her face.
 
“But it was only a baby labarri,” she reproached him.
 
“You told me it was a viperine,” he retorted.
 
She hid her face in her hands, although the pink of flush burned
furiously in her ears. Yet he could have sworn, unless it were hysteria,
that she was laughing; and he knew for the first time how really hard
was the task he had undertaken to put the ring of another man on her
finger. So he deliberately hardened his heart against the beauty and
fascination of her, and said bitterly:
 
“And now, I suppose some of your gentry will shoot me full of holes
because I don’t know a labarri from a viperine. You might call some of
the farm hands down to do it. Or maybe you’d like to take a shot at me
yourself.”
 
But she seemed not to have heard, for she had arisen with the quick
litheness to be expected of so gloriously fashioned a creature, and was
stamping her foot on the sand.
 
“It’s asleepmy foot,” she explained with laughter unhidden this time by
her hands.
 
“You’re acting perfectly disgracefully,” he assured her wickedly, “when
you consider that I am the murderer of your uncle.”
 
Thus reminded, the laughter ceased and the color receded from her face.
She made no reply, but bending, with fingers that trembled with anger
she strove to unknot the handkerchief as if it were some loathsome
thing.
 
“Better let me help,” he suggested pleasantly.
 
“You beast!” she flamed at him. “Step aside. Your shadow falls upon me.”
 
“Now you are delicious, charming,” he girded, belying the desire that
stirred compellingly within him to clasp her in his arms. “You quite
revive my last recollection of you here on the beach, one second
reproaching me for not kissing you, the next second kissing meyes, you
did, tooand the third second threatening to destroy my digestion
forever with that little tin toy pistol of yours. No; you haven’t
changed an iota from last time. You’re the same spitfire of a Leoncia.
You’d better let me untie that for you. Don’t you see the knot is
jammed? Your little fingers can never manage it.”
 
She stamped her foot in sheer inarticulateness of rage.
 
“Lucky for me you don’t make a practice of taking your tin toy pistol in
swimming with you,” he teased on, “or else there’d be a funeral right
here on the beach pretty pronto of a perfectly nice young man whose
intentions are never less than the best.”
 
The Indian boy returned at this moment running with her bathing wrap,
which she snatched from him and put on hastily. Next, with the boy’s
help, she attacked the knot again. When the handkerchief came off she
flung it from her as if in truth it were a viperine.
 
“It was contamination,” she flashed, for his benefit.
 
But Francis, still engaged in hardening his heart against her, shook his
head slowly and said:
 
“It doesn’t save you, Leoncia. I’ve left my mark on you that never will
come off.”
 
He pointed to the excoriations he had made on her knee and laughed.
 
“The mark of the beast,” she came back, turning to go. “I warn you to
take yourself off, Mr. Henry Morgan.”
 
But he stepped in her way.
 
“And now we’ll talk business, Miss Solano,” he said in changed tones.
“And you will listen. Let your eyes flash all they please, but don’t
interrupt me.” He stooped and picked up the note he had been engaged in
writing. “I was just sending that to you by the boy when you screamed.
Take it. Read it. It won’t bite you. It isn’t a viperine.”
 
Though she refused to receive it, her eyes involuntarily scanned the
opening line:
 
_I am the man whom you mistook for Henry Morgan_...
 
She looked at him with startled eyes that could not comprehend much but
which were guessing many vague things.
 
“On my honor,” he said gravely.
 
“You ... are ... not ... Henry?” she gasped.
 
“No, I am not. Won’t you please take it and read.”
 
This time she complied, while he gazed with all his eyes upon the golden
pallor of the sun on her tropic-touched blonde face which colored the
blood beneath, or which was touched by the blood beneath, to the
amazingly beautiful golden pallor.
 
Almost in a dream he discovered himself looking into her startled,
questioning eyes of velvet brown.
 
“And who should have signed this?” she repeated.
 
He came to himself and bowed.
 
“But the name?your name?”
 
“Morgan, Francis Morgan. As I explained there, Henry and I are some sort
of distant relativesforty-fifth cousins, or something like that.”
 
To his bewilderment, a great doubt suddenly dawned in her eyes, and the
old familiar anger flashed.
 
“Henry,” she accused him. “This is a ruse, a devil’s trick you’re trying
to play on me. Of course you are Henry.”
 
Francis pointed to his mustache.
 
“You’ve grown that since,” she challenged.
 
He pulled up his sleeve and showed her his left arm from wrist to elbow.
But she only looked her incomprehension of the meaning of his action.
 
“Do you remember the scar?” he asked.
 
She nodded.
 
“Then find it.”
 
She bent her head in swift vain search, then shook it slowly as she
faltered:
 
“I ... I ask your forgiveness. I was terribly mistaken, and when I think
of the way I ... I’ve treated you ...”
 
“That kiss was delightful,” he naughtily disclaimed.
 
She recollected more immediate passages, glanced down at her knee and
stifled what he adjudged was a most adorable giggle.
 
“You say you have a message from Henry,” she changed the subject
abruptly. “And that he is innocent...? This is true? Oh, I do want to
believe you!”
 
“I am morally certain that Henry no more killed your uncle than did I——
 
“Then say no more, at least not now,” she interrupted joyfully. “First
of all I must make amends to you, though you must confess that some of
the things you have done and said were abominable. You had no right to
kiss me.”
 
“If you will remember,” he contended, “I did it at the pistol point. How
was I to know but what I would get shot if I didn’t.”
 
“Oh, hush, hush,” she begged. “You must go with me now to the house. And
you can tell me about Henry on the way.”
 
Her eyes chanced upon the handkerchief she had flung so contemptuously
aside. She ran to it and picked it up.
 
“Poor, ill-treated kerchief,” she crooned to it. “To you also must I
make amends. I shall myself launder you, and....” Her eyes lifted to
Francis as she addressed him. “And return it to you, sir, fresh and
sweet and all wrapped around my heart of gratitude....”
 
“And the mark of the beast?” he queried.
 
“I am so sorry,” she confessed penitently.
 
“And may I be permitted to rest my shadow upon you?”
 
“Do! Do!” she cried gaily. “There! I am in your shadow now. And we must
start.”
 
Francis tossed a peso to the grinning Indian boy, and, in high elation,
turned and followed her into the tropic growth on the path that led up
to the white hacienda.
 
* * * * *
 
Seated on the broad piazza of the Solano Hacienda, Alvarez Torres saw
through the tropic shrubs the couple approaching along the winding
driveway. And he saw what made him grit his teeth and draw very
erroneous conclusions. He muttered imprecations to himself and forgot
his cigarette.
 
What he saw was Leoncia and Francis in such deep and excited talk as to
be oblivious of everything else. He saw Francis grow so urgent of speech
and gesture as to cause Leoncia to stop abruptly and listen further to
his pleading. Nextand Torres could scarcely believe the evidence of his
eyes, he saw Francis produce a ring, and Leoncia, with averted face,
extend her left hand and receive the ring upon her third finger.
Engagement finger it was, and Torres could have sworn to it.

댓글 없음: