2015년 3월 1일 일요일

Astounding Stories of Super-Science 13

Astounding Stories of Super-Science 13



I lay down on the floor by the window. Out in the office building
hallway I heard heavy footsteps come running. One of the night watchmen
had evidently heard the glass crashed.
 
I laughed. I pressed the switch at my wrist....
 
 
 
 
CHAPTER XI
 
_The Fight on the Tower Balcony_
 
 
The sensations swept me again. The room faded. Whether the watchmen came
in to see a ghost of me lying there on the floor I did not know, nor did
I care. I whirled into the shadows. And came in a moment out of the
black silence. The office room was gone. I seemed to have fallen or
floated down--how far I do not know. A triumph swept me. I was lying on
another floor. I could see a doorway materializing. I was not upon the
balcony as I had calculated, but within the tower room. New walls sprang
around me.
 
I did not heed it, this time, the sensation, of the transition. I was
too alert to what new situation might come upon me. The tower room. I
could see it. I could see its oval windows close at hand. The doorway to
its balcony. Sounds flooded me, mingled with the humming within me.
Familiar sounds. The crowd shouting. And a single voice--the voice of
Rohbar. Vague and blurred, but as I materialized it became clearer.
 
I was suddenly aware that there was a man beside me. One of the palace
soldiers. He saw me materialize. He leaped backward in horror. I flung
my switch. I was on my feet, swaying, and then I leaped upon him. My
dirk plunged downward into his chest.
 
The thing made me shudder. I reeled with the sickness of it, but as he
fell I clung to the dirk and ripped it out of him. It was dripping with
his blood.
 
I stood trembling. The small tower room had no other occupants. I turned
toward the door. I could see a patch of stars, paling with the coming
dawn. I crouched in the small doorway which gave onto the balcony,
staring, swiftly calculating. The scene had scarcely changed. But, some
of the soldiers had left the entrance platform, gone, no doubt, into the
castle on their way upstairs to seize Derek.
 
On this upper balcony, no more than ten feet before me, Rohbar still
stood gripping Hope. She was in front of him. His back was to me. A
sudden jump, and I could plunge my dagger into his back.
 
Rohbar was shouting, "King Leonto is dead. If you should want me to
succeed him, I will take this girl Hope for my queen. You all love
her...."
 
I was tense to spring. Then out in the balcony, to one side, I saw
Sensua crouching. Her crimson robe fell away to bare her white limbs.
Her hand fumbled in her robe. She had been Rohbar's dupe, and now she
knew it. Her knife was in her hand. Frenzied with jealousy and rage she
sprang upon Rohbar's back, trying to stab at Hope.
 
Perhaps he sensed her coming, heard her; or perhaps she was unskilful.
Her knife only grazed Hope's shoulder. He released Hope. He roared. He
turned and gripped his murderous assailant. A second or two while I
stood watching. He caught Sensua's wrist, twisted the knife from it and
plunged the knife into her breast. She sank with a scream at his feet,
and as he straightened he saw me.
 
But I had leaped. I was upon him. His own knife had remained in Sensua's
breast. As I raised mine in my leap, he caught at my wrist; twisted it,
but I flung the knife away before he could get it. The knife fell over
the balcony rail. The weight of my hurtling body flung him backward, but
the rail caught him. His arms went around me. Powerful arms, crushing
me. I gripped at his throat.
 
There was an instant when I thought that we would both topple over the
railing. I felt Hope beside us. I heard her scream. We did not go over
the rail, for Rohbar lurched and flung us back. We dropped to the
balcony floor, rolling, locked together. He was far stronger and
heavier than I. He came uppermost. He lunged and broke my hold upon his
throat, but I was agile: I squirmed from under him. I almost regained my
feet. He got up on one knee. He was trying to draw his sword. Then again
I bore into him, kicking and tearing. He roared like a bull. And
ignoring my plucking fingers, my flailing fists, he lunged to his feet
with me gripping again at his throat.
 
His huge height swung me off the ground. I was aware that he had drawn
his sword, but I was too close for him to use it. He swayed drunkenly
with my weight; he was confused. I felt the rail behind us. We lunged
again into it. Again I heard Hope scream in terror, and saw her leap at
us. Rohbar stooped, trying to clutch the low rail. His bending down
brought my feet to the balcony floor. With a last despairing effort I
shoved him backward. And as he toppled at the rail, I fought to break
his hold upon me. I felt us going and then I felt Hope reach me. Her
arms flung about my waist. Her hold tore me loose. Rohbar's huge body
fell away....
 
For an instant Rohbar seemed balanced upon the rail; then he went over.
He gave a last long, agonized scream as he fell. I did not look down. I
crouched by the rail. The crowd in the garden; Derek standing on the
other balcony; the soldiers who now had appeared behind him--all were
silent, and in the silence I heard the horrible thud of Rohbar's body as
it struck....
 
I clung to Hope for an instant, and she shuddered against me. The scene
broke again into chaos. I cast Hope away and leaped up. I stood at the
balcony rail. My arms went up and gestured to Derek. Amazement was on
his face, but he answered my gesture. Behind him the soldiers who had
come to seize him were standing in a group, stricken at this new
tragedy.
 
Derek swung on them. He was not powerless now! "Away with you!"
 
His cylinder menaced them, and they fell back in terror before him.
 
He darted past them and disappeared into the castle.
 
I felt Hope plucking at me. "I want to talk to the people."
 
She stood beside me, leaning over the rail. Gentle little figure.
Familiar figure to them all. Their beloved Hope. Her voice rang out
clearly through the hush.
 
"My people, we all want our beloved Alexandre--he has come back to us.
He is our rightful king."
 
"King Alexandre! Long live King Alexandre!"
 
Derek in a moment appeared behind us. "My God, Charlie, I can't
understand--"
 
I told him how I had done it. He gripped me. "I'll never be able to
repay you for this!"
 
I pushed him forward and he joined Hope at the rail. Held her, and her
arms went around his neck as she returned his kisses. The crowd gaped,
then cheered.
 
I shouted, "Hope will be your queen--The reign of the crimson nobles is
at an end!"
 
The wild cheering of the people, in which now the castle guards were
joining, surged up to mingle with my words.
 
 
 
 
CHAPTER XII
 
_One Tumultuous Night_
 
 
I come now with very little more to record.
 
I returned to my own world. And Derek stayed in his. Each to his own;
one may rail at this allotted portion--but he does not lightly give it
up.
 
The scientists who have examined the mechanism with which I returned
very naturally are skeptical of me. Derek feared a further communication
between his world, and mine. He smiled his quiet smile.
 
"Your modern world is very aggressive, Charlie. I would not want to
chance having my mechanism duplicated--a conquering army coming in
here."
 
And so he adjusted the apparatus to carry me back and then go dead. I
have wires and electrodes to show in support of my narrative. But since
they will not operate I cannot blame my hearers for smiling in derision.
 
Yet there is some contributing evidence. Derek Mason has vanished. A
watchman in an office building near Battery Park reports that at dawn of
that June morning he heard splintering glass. He found the office door
with its broken panel, and the ax lying on the hall floor. He even
thinks he saw a ghost stretched out by the window. But he is laughed at
for saying it.
 
And there is still another circumstance. If you will trouble to examine
the newspaper files of that time, you will find an occurrence headed
"Inexplicable Tragedy at Battery Park." You will read that near dawn
that morning, the bodies of three men in crimson cloaks came hurtling
down through the air and fell in the street near where several taxis
were parked. Strange, unidentified men. Of extraordinary aspect. The
flesh burned, perhaps. All three were dead; the bodies were mangled by
falling some considerable height.
 
An inexplicable tragedy. Why should anyone believe that they were the
three crimson nobles whom Derek attacked with his strange ray?
 
I am only Charles Wilson, clerk in a Wall Street brokerage office. If
you met me, you would find me a very average, prosaic sort of fellow.
You would never think that deeds of daring were in my line at all. Yet I
have lived this one strange tumultuous night, and I shall always cherish
the memory.
 
 
 
 
The Stolen Mind
 
By M. L. Staley
 
[Illustration: _The structure, pivoting downward, plunged Quest to his
waist in the osmotic solution._]
 
[Sidenote: What would you do, if, like Quest, you were tricked, and your
very Mind and Will stolen from your body?]
 
 
"What caused you to answer our advertisement?" Owen Quest felt the steel
of the quick gray eyes that jabbed like gimlets across the office table.
 
"Why does any man apply for a job?" he bristled.
 
Keane Clason gave an impatient smile.
 
"Come!" he said. "I'm not trying to snare you. But there were unusual
features to my ad, and they were put there to attract an unusual type of
man. To judge your qualifications, I must know just why this proposition
appeals to you."
 
"I can tell you that," nodded Quest, "but there's nothing unusual about
it. In the first place, I knew that the Clason Research Corporation is
the leading concern of its kind in the country. In the second place,
this seemed to offer a way to obtain a substantial sum of money
quickly."
 
"Good," said Clason. "And you feel that you have all the necessary
qualifications?"
 
"Decidedly. I am 24 years old, athletic, and of an earnest and
determined nature. Moreover, I have no family ties, and I'm willing to
run any reasonable risk in order to improve the condition of my fellow
men."
 
Clason smiled his approval.
 
"You say you need money. How much immediately?"
 
Quest was unprepared for the question.
 
"A thousand dollars," he ventured.
 
Without hesitation Clason counted out ten one-hundred-dollar notes from
his wallet and laid them on the table.
 
"There's your advance fee. You're ready to go to work immediately, I
hope?"
 
"Certainly," stammered Quest.
 
Stunned by the swiftness of the transaction, he sat staring at the money
that lay untouched before him.
 
To accept it would be like signing an unread contract. But he had asked
for it; to refuse it was impossible. Even to delay about picking it up
might arouse Clason's suspicion. Already the latter had turned away and
was opening the door of a steel cabinet. Quest had one second in which
to reach a decision.... He crammed the currency into his pocket.
 
* * * * *
 
With delicate care Clason set two objects on the table. One looked to
Quest like a miniature broadcasting tower or a mooring mast for lighter
than air craft. The other was a circular vat of some black material,
probably carbon. Within it a series of concentric tissues were suspended
from metal rings, and in a trough outside ranged four stoppered flasks
containing liquids of as many different colors.
 
"Look at these models carefully," said Clason. "They represent two of
the most remarkable discoveries of all time. The one on your left is the
most _de_structive weapon known to man. The other I consider the most
_con_structive discovery in the history of science. It may even lead to
an understanding of the nature of life, and of the future of the spirit
after death.
 
"Both of these were developed by my brother Philip and me together--but
we have disagreed about the use to which they shall be put.
 
"Philip"--the inventor dropped his voice to a whisper--"wants to sell
the secret of the Death Projector--the tower, there--as an instrument of
war. If I should permit him to do that, it might lead to the destruction
of whole nations!"
 
"How?" demanded Quest "I've heard of a device called the Death Ray. Is
this it?"
 
"No, no," said Clason contemptuously. "Even in a perfected state the Ray
would be a child's toy compared to the Projector. This is based on our
discovery that invisible light rays of a certain wave-length, if highly
concentrated, destroy life--and our additional discovery that if these
are synchronized with short radio waves the effect is absolutely
devastating.
 
"We obtain the desired concentration of invisible light by using a
tellurium current-filter under the influence of alternate flashes of red
and blue light. The projector can literally blanket vast areas with
death, up to a top range of at least five hundred miles.
 
"Just picture to yourself what this means! In a space of ten minutes two
men can lay down a circle of destruction a thousand miles in diameter;
or they can cut a swath five hundred miles long in any desired
direction."
 
* * * * *
 
"Have you ever proved it?" demanded Quest skeptically.
 
"Yes, young man, we have," snapped Clason. "Right here in the
laboratory--but on a minute scale, of course. However, there's no time
to demonstrate now. The point is that my brother is determined to sell
if he can obtain his price for the invention. He argues that instead of
bringing disaster upon the world, this machine will forever discourage
war by making it too terrible for any civilized nation to consider. In
spite of my opposition he has opened negotiations with an ambitious
Balkan power. He may actually close the sale at any moment!
 
"However," Clason drew a deep breath "you see this other device? Simple
as it appears, it is the key to the whole situation. We can use it--you
and I--to overcome Philip's will and prevent this unthinkable
transaction. The two of us can do it. Alone I would be virtually
helpless."
 
"Why not have the Projector confiscated or destroyed by our own
Government?" suggested Quest. "That seems to me the only safe and sure
way out of the difficulty."
 
"You simply do not understand," frowned Clason impatiently. "Philip is
selling the plans and descriptions of the machine, not the machine
itself. Even if this model and the larger test machine that we have
built were destroyed--even if I were willing to have Philip sent to
Leavenworth for life--he could still sell the Projector.
 
"But this other invention, our Osmotic Liberator, makes it possible for
me to gain control of Philip and actually _change his mind_, through the
medium of an agent. I have hired you to act as my Agent, Quest, because
I can see that you are a young man of unusual character and vitality.
And by way of reward I can promise you both money and a brilliant
future."
 
* * * * *
 
The inventor poised in a tense attitude on the edge of his chair as
though his body were charged with electricity. His eyes seemed to dart
out emanations that set Quest's blood to tingling. Then for a moment the
latter lost consciousness of his physical self. It was as though he had
opened a door and found himself suddenly on the brink of a new and
totally strange world. He dispelled this fancy by a quick effort of the
will, for he knew that he had a delicate problem on his hands and that
it must be solved within a very few minutes. However he proceeded, he
must act without disloyalty to his Government, and at the same time
without injustice to Keane Clason.
 
"Tell me," he said in a husky voice, "how do you intend to use me? I do
not believe in Spiritualism. I would be a poor medium."
 
Clason gave a short laugh.
 
"You are not to be a medium in that sense at all. Spiritualism as
practiced is just a blind sort of groping and hoping. Osmotic
Liberation, on the other hand, is an exact and opposite physico-chemical
science. Here--I will show you."
 
Into the outer cell of the Liberator he emptied the purple vial, and so
on to the innermost, which he filled with a golden-green liquid like old
Chartreuse.
 
"The separating membranes, you understand, are permeable by these
complicated solutions. Each liquid has a different osmotic pressure and
therefore should, under normal conditions, interchange with the others
through the membranes until all pressures are equalized. I prevent such
interchange, however, by maintaining an anti-electrolysis which retards
ionization and thus builds up what might be called osmotic potential.
 
* * * * *
 
"Now if an Agent--yourself for instance--submerges himself in the
central cell, at the same time maintaining a physical contact with his
Control at the surface of the liquid, and if then the osmotic potential
is suddenly released by throwing the electrolytic switch, the host of
ions thus turned loose in the outer compartments make one grand rush for
the center solution, which contains the cathode.
 
"Under these conditions your body becomes a sort of sixth cell, and your
skin another membrane in the series. Properly speaking, however, you are
not a part of the electrolytic circuit but are merely present in the
action. Your body acts as a catalyser, hastening the chemical action
without itself being affected in any way. Physically you undergo no
change whatever; but in some strange way which is, like life, beyond
analysis, your mind flows out into the solution, while your unaltered
body remains at the bottom of the tank in a state of suspended
animation.
 
"If no Control is present, all that is needed to return your mind into
your body is a throw of the electrolytic switch back to negative,
whereupon you emerge from the tank exactly as you entered it. But with
your Control present and in contact with your submerged body, your mind,
instead of remaining suspended in the solution, flows instantly into his
body and resides there subject to his will.
 
"This can not be done, however, unless the wills of Control and Agent
have first been brought into accord. To accomplish that, we clasp
hands"--Quest grasped Clason's extended hand--"and look steadily into
each other's eyes.
 
"Now, it is well known that the vibrations of an individual's will are
as distinctive as the sworls of his finger-prints. What is not so well
known is that the frequency of vibration in one person can be brought into accord with that in another.

댓글 없음: