2015년 12월 18일 금요일

Cicero Letters to Atticus, Vol. 2 of 3 30

Cicero Letters to Atticus, Vol. 2 of 3 30


want. You may wonder why I forestall disagreeable tidings which will be
known in three days' time. I have no reason, except, as I said before,
that I love to talk to you; and at the same time I want you to know
that what I had counted my fixed resolve is shaken. The precedents you
quote with approval don't quite fit my case. They are those of men who
have never distinguished themselves by great political action, and
are not looked up to for any act of merit. Nor, let me tell you, have
I any praise for those who have crossed the sea to make preparations
for war--unbearable as things here were. For I foresee how great and
calamitous that war will be. I am influenced only by one man, whom
I think I ought to accompany in flight, and help in the restoration
of the constitution. I may seem variable; but I talk with you as I
talk with myself, and there is no one who, in such a crisis, does not
view matters in many lights. Moreover, I want to get your opinion,
to encourage me, if you have not changed it, or otherwise to win my
assent. It is particularly necessary for me to know in my dilemma what
course Domitius and my friend Lentulus will take.
 
As for Domitius I hear many reports: at one time that he is at Tibur
out of sorts, at another that he has consorted with the Lepidi in
their march to Rome. That I see is untrue. For Lepidus says that he
is following a hidden path, but whether to hide or reach the sea even
he does not know. Lepidus has no news about his son either. He adds a
provoking detail, that Domitius has failed to get back a large sum of
money which he had at Corfinium. Of Lentulus I have no news. Please
make inquiries on these points and inform me.
 
* * * * *
 
Page 166
 
 
 
 
XV
 
CICERO ATTICO SAL.
 
 
[Sidenote: _Scr. Formiis V Non. Mart. a. 705_]
 
A. d. V Nonas Martias epistulas mihi tuas Aegypta reddidit, unam
veterem, IIII Kal. quam te scribis dedisse Pinario, quem non vidimus;
in qua exspectas, quidnam praemissus agat Vibullius, qui omnino non est
visus a Caesare (id altera epistula video te scire ita esse), et quem
ad modum redeuntem excipiam Caesarem, quem omnino vitare cogito, et
αθμερον[75] fugam intendis[76] commutationemque vitae tuae, quod tibi
puto esse faciendum, et ignoras, Domitius cum fascibusne sit. Quod cum
scies, facies, ut sciamus. Habes ad primam epistulam.
 
[75] _I have ventured to read_ αθμερον _for the corrupt_ authemonis
_of M, as being an easy alteration palæographically. Many suggestions
have been made_ (_e.g._ Automedontis _by Müller_).
 
[76] intendis _F. Schütz_: tendis _MSS._
 
Secutae sunt duae pr. Kal. ambae datae, quae me convellerunt de
pristino statu iam tamen, ut ante ad te scripsi, labantem. Nec me
movet, quod scribis "Iovi ipsi iniquum." Nam periculum in utriusque
iracundia positum est, victoria autem ita incerta, ut deterior causa
paratior mihi esse videatur. Nec me consules movent, qui ipsi pluma aut
folio facilius moventur. Officii me deliberatio cruciat cruciavitque
adhuc. Cautior certe est mansio, honestior existimatur traiectio. Malo
interdum, multi me non caute quam pauci non honeste fecisse existiment.
De Lepido et Tullo quod quaeris, illi vero non dubitant,
 
* * * * *
 
Page 167
 
 
 
 
XV
 
CICERO TO ATTICUS, GREETING.
 
 
[Sidenote: _Formiae, March 3_ B.C. _49_]
 
On the 3rd of March Aegypta[77] brought me your letters, one an old
one dated February 26, which you say you handed to Pinarius, whom I
have not seen. In that letter you were waiting to hear the result of
Vibullius' advance mission. He did not meet Caesar at all, as I see
from your second letter you are aware. You also wanted to know how I
shall receive Caesar on his return. I intend to shun him altogether.
And you contemplate flight on the day he comes, and a change in your
life, which I agree is politic. You wrote too that you do not know
if Domitius keeps his fasces. When you do know, please tell me. That
settles the first letter.
 
[77] A slave of Cicero's.
 
There follow two more dated the 28th of February, which hurled me from
my old position, when I was already tottering, as I had informed you.
I am not upset by your phrase "angry with almighty God."[78] There
is danger not only in Pompey's anger, but in Caesar's, and the issue
is doubtful, though to me the worst cause seems better equipped. Nor
am I influenced by the consuls, who themselves are more easily moved
than leaf or feather. It is consideration of my duty that tortures me
and has been torturing me all along. To remain in Italy is certainly
safer: to cross the sea the path of honour. Sometimes I prefer that
many should accuse me of rashness, rather than the select few of
dishonourable action. For your query about Lepidus and Tullus, they have
 
[78] This probably means that Pompey had said he would be angry with
every one who did not leave Rome, even with Jupiter.
 
* * * * *
 
Page 168
 
quin Caesari praesto futuri in senatumque venturi sint.
 
Recentissima tua est epistula Kal. data, in qua optas congressum
pacemque non desperas. Sed ego, cum haec scribebam, nec illos
congressuros nec, si congressi essent, Pompeium ad ullam condicionem
accessurum putabam. Quod videris non dubitare, si consules transeant,
quid nos facere oporteat, certe transeunt vel, quo modo nunc est,
transierunt. Sed memento praeter Appium neminem esse fere, qui non ius
habeat transeundi. Nam aut cum imperio sunt ut Pompeius, ut Scipio,
Sufenas, Fannius, Voconius, Sestius, ipsi consules, quibus more maiorum
concessum est vel omnes adire provincias, aut legati sunt eorum. Sed
nihil decerno; quid placeat tibi, et quid prope modum rectum sit,
intellego.
 
Plura scriberem, si ipse possem. Sed, ut mihi videor, potero biduo.
Balbi Corneli litterarum exemplum, quas eodem die accepi quo tuas, misi
ad te, ut meam vicem doleres, cum me derideri videres.
 
 
 
 
XVa
 
BALBUS CICERONI IMP. SAL.
 
 
[Sidenote: _Scr. Romae ex. m. Febr a. 705_]
 
Obsecro te, Cicero, suscipe curam et cogitationem dignissimam tuae
virtutis, ut Caesarem et Pompeium perfidia hominum distractos rursus in
pristinam concordiam reducas. Crede mihi Caesarem non solum fore in tua
potestate, sed etiam maximum beneficium te sibi dedisse iudicaturum, si
hoc te reicis. Velim
 
* * * * *
 
Page 169
 
decided to meet Caesar and to take their seats in the House.
 
In your last letter, dated the 1st of March, you long for a meeting
between the two leaders, and have hopes of peace. But at the time of
writing I fancy they will not meet, and that, if they do, Pompey will
not agree to any terms. You seem to have no doubt as to what I ought
to do, if the consuls go over-seas; well they will go, or rather have
now gone. But bear in mind that of their number it is practically only
Appius who has not a right to cross. The rest are either invested
with military power, like Pompey, Scipio, Sufenas, Fannius, Voconius,
Sestius and the consuls themselves, who by old custom may visit all the
provinces; or else they are legates. However I have no positive views.
I know what you approve and pretty well what it is right to do.
 
My letter would be longer, if I could write myself. I fancy I shall
be able in two days' time. I have had Cornelius Balbus' letter, which
I received on the same day as yours, copied, and I forward it to you,
that you may sympathize with me on seeing me mocked.
 
 
 
 
XVa
 
BALBUS SALUTES CICERO THE IMPERATOR.
 
 
[Sidenote: _Rome, Feb._, B.C. _49_]
 
I beg you, Cicero, to consider a plan eminently suited to your
character, namely to recall Caesar and Pompey to their former state of
friendship, which has been broken by the treachery of others. Believe
me that Caesar will not only meet your wishes, but will esteem any
endeavours of yours in this matter as a very great service. I wish
Pompey would take the same
 
* * * * *
 
Page 170
 
idem Pompeius faciat. Qui ut adduci tali tempore ad ullam condicionem
possit, magis opto quam spero. Sed, cum constiterit et timere desierit,
tum incipiam non desperare tuam auctoritatem plurimum apud eum
valituram.
 
Quod Lentulum consulem meum voluisti hic remanere, Caesari gratum,
mihi vero gratissimum medius fidius fecisti. Nam illum tanti facio,
ut non Caesarem magis diligam. Qui si passus esset nos secum,
ut consueveramus, loqui et non se totum etiam ab sermone nostro
avertisset, minus miser, quam sum, essem. Nam cave putes hoc tempore
plus me quemquam cruciari, quod eum, quem ante me diligo, video in
consulatu quidvis potius esse quam consulem. Quodsi voluerit tibi
obtemperare et nobis de Caesare credere et consulatum reliquum Romae
peragere, incipiam sperare etiam consilio senatus auctore te, illo
relatore Pompeium et Caesarem coniungi posse. Quod si factum erit, me satis vixisse putabo.

댓글 없음: