2015년 12월 20일 일요일

Cicero Letters to Atticus, Vol. 2 of 3 47

Cicero Letters to Atticus, Vol. 2 of 3 47



For the rest, ye gods what a following! What _âmes damnées_ in your
phrase! Celer is an hero to the rest. What an abandoned cause, and what
desperate gangs! What can one think of a son of Servius and a son of
Titinius being in an army which beset Pompey? Six legions! He is very
wide-awake and
 
* * * * *
 
Page 266
 
audet. Nullum video finem mali. Nunc certe promenda tibi sunt consilia.
Hoc fuerat extremum.
 
Illa tamen κατακλες illius est odiosa, quam paene praeterii, si sibi
consiliis nostris uti non liceret, usurum, quorum posset, ad omniaqae
esse descensurum. "Vidisti igitur virum, ut scripseras? ingemuisti?"
Certe. "Cedo reliqua." Quid? Continuo ipse in Pedanum, ego Arpinum.
Inde exspecto equidem λαλαγεσαν[117] illam tuam. "Tu malim," inquies,
"actum ne agas." Etiam illum ipsum, quem sequimur, multa fefellerunt.
 
[117] λαλαγεσαν _Bosius_: ΑΛΑΤΕΛΓΑΝ _M._
 
Sed ego tuas litteras exspecto. Nihil est enim iam ut antea "Videamus,
hoc quorsum evadat." Extremum fuit de congressu nostro; quo quidem
non dubito quin istum offfenderim. Eo maturius agendum est. Amabo te,
epistulam et πολιτικν! Valde tuas litteras nunc exspecto.
 
 
 
 
XIX
 
CICERO ATTICO SAL.
 
 
[Sidenote: _Scr. Arpini prid. K. Apr. a. 705_]
 
Ego meo Ciceroni, quoniam Roma earemus, Arpini potissimum togam puram
dedi, idque municipibus nostris fuit gratum. Etsi omnes et illos, et
qua iter feci, maestos adflictosque vidi. Tam tristis et
 
* * * * *
 
Page 267
 
bold. I see no end to our evil days. Now assuredly you must produce
your advice. This was the limit we contemplated.
 
Caesar's _finale_, which I had almost forgotten, was hateful:--"If I
may not use your advice, I shall use the advice I can and go to any
length." You will say: "You have seen him to be as you have described
him: and did you heave a sigh?" Indeed I did. You ask for the rest of
our talk. What more is there to tell? He went straight to Pedum, I to
Arpinum. From thence I await the "twittering swallow"[118] you talk of.
You will say you prefer me not to dwell on past mistakes. Even Pompey,
our leader, has made many.
 
[118] A reference to _Anthology_ x, i, ὁ πλος ραος καγρ λαλαγεσα
χελιδν δη μμβλωκεν χχαριες Ζφυρος.
 
"Fair is the season for sailing: already the twittering swallow
Flitteth around, and soft bloweth the wind from the west." Cf. _Att._
ix, 7.
 
But I await a letter from you. There is no room now, as before, for
your "await the event." The limit we fixed was that interview; and I
have no doubt I annoyed Caesar; so I must act the more quickly. Please
send me a letter and deal with _la haute politique_. I await a letter
from you now very anxiously.
 
 
 
 
XIX
 
CICERO TO ATTICUS, GREETING.
 
 
[Sidenote: _Arpinum, March 31_, B.C. _49_]
 
Since Rome was out of bounds, I celebrated my son's coming of age at
Arpinum in preference to any other place, and so doing delighted my
fellow-townsmen. Though they were pleased, yet I must tell you they and
all others I have met are sad and sorry.
 
* * * * *
 
Page 268
 
tam atrox est ἀναθερησις huius ingentis mali. Dilectus habentur, in
hiberna deducuntur. Ea, quae, etiam cum a bonis viris, cum iusto in
bello, cum modeste fiunt, tamen ipsa per se molesta sunt, quam censes
acerba nunc esse, cum a perditis in civili nefario bello petulantissime
fiant! Cave autem putes quemquam hominem in Italia turpem esse, qui
hinc absit. Vidi ipse Formiis universos neque mehercule umquam homines
putavi, et noram omnes, sed numquam uno loco videram.
 
Pergamus igitur, quo placet, et nostra omnia relinquamus, proficiscamur
ad eum, cui gratior noster adventus erit, quam si una fuissemus. Tum
enim eramus in maxima spe, nunc ego quidem in nulla; nec praeter me
quisquam Italia cessit, nisi qui hunc inimicum sibi putaret. Nec
mehercule hoc facio rei publicae causa, quam funditus deletam puto, sed
ne quis me putet ingratum in eum, qui me levavit iis incommodis, quibus
idem adfecerat, et simul quod ea, quae fiunt, aut quae certe futura
sunt, videre non possum. Etiam equidem senatus consulta facta quaedam
iam puto, utinam in Volcaci sententiam! Sed quid refert? est enim una
sententia omnium. Sed erit immitissimus Servius, qui filium misit ad
effligendum Cn. Pompeium aut certe capiendum cum Pontio Titiniano. Etsi
hic quidem timoris causa, ille vero?
 
* * * * *
 
Page 269
 
So dark and direful is the _coup d'oeil_ of this vast calamity. Levies
are being made; troops are being drafted into winter quarters. These
measures are hardships in themselves even when taken by loyalists, when
the war is just, when there is some consideration. You can imagine how
bitter they are when taken quite tyrannically by desperadoes in wicked
civil war. But you must remember that every scoundrel in Italy is of
the party. I saw them all together at Formiae. I could hardly believe
them to be human. I knew every one of them, but I had never seen the
whole collection together.
 
Let us go then whither we please, and leave our all behind. Let us set
out to Pompey, who will be more gratified at our arrival than if we
had been with him all along. For then we had great hopes; but now I
at least have none: nor has anyone except myself departed from Italy,
unless he imagines Caesar to be his enemy. Heaven be my witness I do
not take this step for the sake of the Republic, which to my mind is
utterly destroyed, but for fear I may be charged with ingratitude
to one who relieved me from the inconveniences which he himself had
inflicted: and, at the same time, because I cannot endure the sight
of the horrors that are happening and are bound to happen. Moreover
I fancy that now decrees of the Senate have been passed, and my only
hope is that they will agree with Volcacius' proposal. But what does
it matter? There is only one proposal for everybody. But the most
implacable enemy will be Servius, who has sent his son with Pontius
Titinianus to destroy or at least to capture Gnaeus Pompey. Though
Titinianus has the excuse of fear, what excuse has Servius? But let us
cease
 
* * * * *
 
Page 270
 
Sed stomachari desinamus et aliquando sentiamus nihil nobis nisi, id
quod minime vellem, spiritum reliquum esse.
 
Nos, quoniam superum mare obsidetur, infero navigabimus, et, si
Puteolis erit difficile, Crotonem petemus aut Thurios et boni cives
amantes patriae mare infestum habebimus. Aliam rationem huius belli
gerendi nullam video. In Aegyptum nos abdemus. Exercitu pares esse non
possumus; pacis fides nulla est. Sed haec satis deplorata sunt.
 
Tu velim litteras Cephalioni des de omnibus rebus actis, denique etiam
de sermonibus hominum, nisi plane obmutuerunt. Ego tuis consiliis usus
sum maximeque, quod et gravitatem in congressu nostro tenui, quam
debui, et, ad urbem ut non accederem, perseveravi. Quod superest,
scribe, quaeso, quam accuratissime (iam enim extrema sunt), quid
placeat, quid censeas; etsi iam nulla dubitatio est. Tamen, si quid vel
potius quicquid veniet in mentem, scribas velim.
 
* * * * *
 
Page 271
 
from anger and let us reflect that there is nothing left us now except
what to me is least desirable--life.
 
As for me, since the Adriatic is beset, I shall sail by the lower sea,
and, if it be difficult to start from Puteoli, I shall seek Croton or
Thurii, and like a loyal and patriotic citizen play the pirate. Other
means of conducting this war I see none. We will go and bury ourselves
in Egypt. We cannot match Caesar on land, and we cannot rely on peace.
But enough of this outcry.
 
Please entrust a letter to Cephalio about all that has been done, and
even about people's talk, unless men have become quite dumb. I followed
your advice, especially when I maintained in our conversation a proper
dignity and persisted in my refusal to go to Rome. For the rest please
write to me in as much detail as possible (for the worst has come to
the worst) what you approve and what you think, though now there can be
no doubt. But yet, if anything comes into your mind, or rather whatever comes into your mind, please write to me.

댓글 없음: