2015년 12월 20일 일요일

Cicero Letters to Atticus, Vol. 2 of 3 50

Cicero Letters to Atticus, Vol. 2 of 3 50



any rate moderate them, which we certainly can. For I have given up
thinking of the dignity, the honours and the position I have lost:
I think of what I have attained, what I have done, the glory of my
career, in short what a difference there is even in our present straits
between me and those through whom I have lost all. They are the people
who thought they could not attain their extravagant desires without
expelling me from the State: and you see now what has come of their
coalition in a criminal conspiracy.
 
The one burns with a madman's lust for crime, which does not cool one
whit, but rather increases day by day. He has just driven Pompey from
Italy, now on one side of the world he is pursuing him, on the other he
is trying to rob him of his province: and he no longer refuses, nay,
he practically demands, to be called a tyrant, as he is. The other,
who once would not even give me a helping hand, when I threw myself at
his feet, declaring he could do nothing against Caesar's will, now,
having slipped from the grasp of his father-in-law's mailed hand, is
preparing war by land and sea. The war is not unjust on his part, nay,
it is even righteous and necessary; but, unless he conquers, it will
be fatal to his fellow-countrymen; and, even if he does conquer, it
will be disastrous. These are our great men; but I do not hold their
achievements one whit superior to mine, nor even their fortune, though
they may seem to have basked in fortune's smiles while I have met her
frowns. For who can be happy, when he has caused his country to be
deserted or enslaved? And if, as you admonish me, I was right in saying
in those books of mine that nothing is good, save
 
* * * * *
 
Page 284
 
quod turpe sit, certe uterque istorum est miserrimus, quorum utrique
semper patriae salus et dignitas posterior sua dominatione et
domesticis commodis fuit. Praeclara igitur conscientia sustentor, cum
cogito me de re publica aut meruisse optime, cum potuerim, aut certe
numquam nisi pie cogitasse, eaque ipsa tempestate eversam esse rem
publicam, quam ego XIIII annis ante prospexerim. Hac igitur conscientia
comite proficiscar magno equidem cum dolore nec tam id propter me
aut propter fratrem meum, quorum est iam acta aetas, quam propter
pueros, quibus interdum videmur praestare etiam rem publicam debuisse.
Quorum quidem alter non tam quia filius quam,[125] quia maiore pietate
est, me mirabiliter excruciat, alter (o rem miseram! nihil enim mihi
accidit in omni vita acerbius) indulgentia videlicet nostra depravatus
eo progressus est, quo non audeo dicere. Et exspecto tuas litteras;
scripsisti enim te scripturum esse plura, cum ipsum vidisses. Omne
meum obsequium in illum fuit cum multa severitate, neque unum eius
nec parvum, sed multa magna delicta compressi. Patris autem lenitas
amanda potius ab illo quam tam crudeliter neglegenda. Nam litteras
eius ad Caesarem missas ita graviter tulimus, ut te quidem celaremus,
sed ipsius videremur vitam insuavem reddidisse. Hoc vero eius iter
simulatioque pietatis qualis fuerit, non audeo dicere; tantum scio,
post Hirtium conventum
 
[125] quia filius quam _added by Malaspina_.
 
* * * * *
 
Page 285
 
what is honourable, and nothing bad, save what is dishonourable, then
certainly both of them are most miserable, since both of them have
thought less of their country's safety and dignity than of their own
high place and private interests. My conscience then is clear and helps
to support me, when I think that I have always rendered my country
good service, when I could, and assuredly have never harboured any but
loyal thoughts, and that the State has been wrecked by the very storm
which I foresaw fourteen years ago. With a clear conscience then I
shall depart, though the parting will cost me a bitter pang: nor shall
I go so much for my own sake or for my brother's--our day is done--as
for our children, to whom I think at times we ought to have secured
at least a free country. For one of them I feel the most poignant
grief--not so much because he is my son, as because he is exceedingly
dutiful--while the other unfortunately has turned out the bitterest
disappointment of my life. He has been spoiled, I suppose, by our
indulgence, and has gone to lengths that I dare not name. I am waiting
for your letter too; for you promised to write more fully when you
had seen him himself. All my humouring of him has been accompanied by
considerable strictness: and I have had to put my foot down not over
one fault of his or a small one, but over many grave faults. But his
father's kindness should surely have been repaid by affection rather
than by such cruel disregard. For we were more annoyed at his sending
letters to Caesar than we let you see, but I think we made his life a
burden to him. I dare not describe this recent journey of his and his
hypocritical pretence of filial duty: I only know that, after he met
Hirtius,
 
* * * * *
 
Page 286
 
arcessitum a Caesare, cum eo de meo animo a suis rationibus alienissimo
et consilio relinquendi Italiam; et haec ipsa timide. Sed nulla nostra
culpa est, natura metuenda est. Haec Curionem, haec Hortensi filium,
non patrum culpa corrupit.
 
Iacet in maerore meus frater neque tam de sua vita quam de mea metuit.
Huic tu huic tu malo adfer consolationes, si ullas potes; maxime quidem
illam velim, ea, quae ad nos delata sint, aut falsa esse aut minora.
Quae si vera sint, quid futurum sit in hac vita et fuga, nescio.
Nam, si haberemus rem publicam, consilium mihi non deesset nec ad
severitatem nec ad indulgentiam. Nunc haec sive iracundia sive dolore
sive metu permotus gravius scripsi, quam aut tuus in illum amor aut
meus postulabat, si vera sunt, ignosces, si falsa, me libente eripies
mihi hunc errorem. Quoquo modo vero se res habebit, nihil adsignabis
nec patruo nec patri.
 
Cum haec scripsissem, a Curione mihi nuntiatum est eum ad me venire.
Venerat enim is in Cumanum vesperi pridie, id est Idibus. Si quid
igitur eius modi sermo eius attulerit, quod ad te scribendum sit, id
his litteris adiungam.
 
Praeteriit villam meam Curio iussitque mihi nuntiari mox se venturum
cucurritque Puteolos, ut ibi contionaretur. Contionatus est, rediit,
fuit ad me sane diu. O rem foedam! Nosti hominem; nihil occultavit, in
primis nihil esse certius, quam ut
 
* * * * *
 
Page 287
 
he was summoned to Caesar's presence, and discussed the difference
between my views and his own and my plan of leaving Italy. Even
that I write with hesitation. But it is no fault of mine: it is his
disposition which must cause us anxiety. That is what corrupted Curio
and Hortensius' son, not their fathers' fault.
 
My brother is prostrate with grief, though he does not fear for his own
life so much as for mine. It is to him, to him more than me, I want you
to offer consolation, if you can. The best consolation would be that
what we have heard was false or exaggerated. If it was true, I fail to
see what will come of this runaway existence. For if the constitution
were still intact, I should know what to do both in the way of severity
and in the way of kindness. Now, under the sway of some passion, be it
wrath or sorrow or fear, I have written more bitterly than either your
affection for him or mine warrants. If what I have said is true, you
will pardon me: if it is false, I shall be only too glad to have the
error removed. However it may be, you must not blame his uncle or his
father.
 
When I had got so far, I received a message from Curio that he was
coming to see me. He came to his place here yesterday evening, that
is on the 13th. If any point worth mentioning to you occurs in our
conversation, I will add it to this letter.
 
Curio passed by my house, and sent a message saying he was coming very
soon. Then he hurried off to make a speech at Puteoli. He made his
speech, returned and stayed a very long time. How disgusting! You know
the sort of man he is: he hid nothing. In the first place he is quite
sure that all
 
* * * * *
 
Page 288
 
omnes, qui lege Pompeia condemnati essent, restituerentur. Itaque se in
Sicilia eorum opera usurum. De Hispaniis non dubitabat, quin Caesaris
essent. Inde ipsum cum exercitu, ubicumque Pompeius esset. Eius
interitum finem belli[126] fore. Propius factum esse nihil, nisi[127]
plane iracundia elatum voluisse Caesarem occidi Metellum tribunum
pl. Quod si esset factum, caedem magnam futuram fuisse. Permultos
hortatores esse caedis, ipsum autem non voluntate aut natura non esse
crudelem, sed quod popularem putaret esse clementiam. Quodsi populi
stadium amisisset, crudelem fore. Eumque perturbatum, quod intellegeret
se apud ipsam plebem offendisse de aerario. Itaque, ei cum certissimum
fuisset, antequam proficisceretur, contionem habere, ausum non esse
vehementerque animo perturbato profectum. Cum autem ex eo quaererem,
quid videret, quem eventum, quam rem publicam, plane fatebatur nullam
spem reliquam. Pompei classem timebat. Quae si exisset, se de Sicilia
abiturum. "Quid isti," inquam, "sex tui fasces? si a senatu, cur
laureati? si ab ipso, cur sex?" "Cupivi," inquit, "ex senatus consulto
surrupto; nam aliter non poterat. At ille impendio nunc magis odit
senatum. A me," inquit, "omnia proficiscentur,"
 
[126] belli _Manutius_; illi _MSS._
 
[127] nisi _Schmidt_; ei _MSS._
 
* * * * *
 
Page 289
 
those condemned by Pompey's law are going to be recalled: and so he is
going to make use of their services in Sicily. He had no doubt about
Caesar getting the two Spains and said he would start from them with
an army to wherever Pompey might be. Pompey's death would be the end
of the war. Caesar had been carried away by anger into wishing to have
the tribune Metellus killed and he had had a narrow shave. If it had
happened, there would have been an enormous massacre. Many had spoken
in favour of a massacre: and Caesar himself was not by nature and
inclination averse to cruelty, but he thought that mild measures would
win popularity. But, if he lost popular favour, he would be cruel. He
had been put out when he found that he had offended the populace itself
by seizing the treasury: and so, though he had fully made up his mind
to harangue the people before leaving, he had not ventured to do so,
and he had gone off in a very disturbed state of mind. But when I asked
Curio what he looked forward to, what end, and what constitution, he
confessed openly that there was no hope left. He was afraid of Pompey's
fleet, and, if it put to sea, he should desert Sicily. I asked, what
was the meaning of his six lictors, why their staves were laurelled,
if the Senate gave them to him, and why there were six, if Caesar gave
them. [128] He said, "I wanted to snatch a vote from the House for them
(for it could not be done openly): but Caesar hates the Senate like
poison, and declares that all such authority will
 
[128] Six lictors were the regular number for the propraetor of Sicily;
but their staves would not be laurelled as Curio had not won a victory
over a public enemy. If appointed a _legatus_ to Caesar he might have had proconsular powers and twelve lictors.

댓글 없음: