2015년 12월 21일 월요일

Cicero Letters to Atticus, Vol. 2 of 3 57

Cicero Letters to Atticus, Vol. 2 of 3 57



As for his financial affairs, I often hear from him, and they are
not in such a state as to prevent him from being anxious to pay you
and from making efforts to that end: but if Q. Axius does not pay me
in this my flight the £100 I lent his son, and pleads in excuse the
state of the times, and if Lepta and others do the same, I confess I
am always surprised to hear from Quintus that he is pressed for some
£175. For of course you see his straits. However he has ordered the
sum to be paid to your account. Perhaps you suppose that he is slow or
close-fisted in money matters. No one is less so: but enough about my
brother.
 
As for his son, the father has certainly always indulged him; but
indulgence does not make him a liar or a miser or disloyal to his
friends, though it does perhaps make him surly, haughty and aggressive.
Accordingly he has these defects which are due to spoiling; but they
are not intolerable, shall I say, as young men go nowadays. But the
defects which, to
 
* * * * *
 
Page 326
 
quae mihi quidem, qui illum amo, sunt his ipsis malis, in quis sumus,
miseriora, non sunt ab obsequio nostro. Nam suas radices habent;
quas tamen evellerem profecto, si liceret. Sed ea tempora sunt, ut
omnia mihi sint patienda. Ego meum facile teneo; nihil est enim eo
tractabilius. Cuius quidem misericordia languidiora adhuc consilia
cepi, et, quo ille me certiorem vult esse, eo magis timeo, ne in eum
exsistam crudelior.
 
Sed Antonius venit heri vesperi. Iam fortasse ad me veniet, aut ne id
quidem, quoniam scripsit, quid fieri vellet. Sed scies continuo, quid
actum sit. Nos iam nihil nisi occulte.
 
De pueris quid agam? parvone navigio committam? Quid mihi animi in
navigando censes fore? Recordor enim, aestate cum illis illo Rhodiorum
φρκτῳ navigans quam fuerim sollicitus; quid duro tempore anni
actuariola fore censes? O rem undique miseram!
 
Trebatius erat mecum, vir plane et civis bonus. Quae ille monstra, di
immortales! Etiamne Balbus in senatum venire cogitet? Sed ei ipsi cras
ad te litteras dabo. Vettienum mihi amicum, ut scribis, ita puto esse.
Cum eo, quod ἀποτμως ad me scripserat de nummis curandis, θυμικτερον
eram iocatus. Id tu, si ille aliter acceperit ac debuit, lenies.
"MONETALI" autem adscripsi, quod ille ad me "PRO COS." Sed, quoniam est
homo et nos diligit, ipse quoque a nobis diligatur. Vale.
 
* * * * *
 
Page 327
 
me at any rate who love him, are more distressing than even the evils
on which we have fallen, do not proceed from any indulgence of mine;
for they are deep rooted: but I would have rooted them up, had I
been allowed. But the times are such that I must bear everything. My
own son I control easily. He is quite tractable. My own policy has
lacked vigour owing to my pity for him; and the more he wants me to be
unflinching, the more I fear I may prove cruel to him.
 
Well Antony came yesterday evening; soon perhaps he will visit me,
perhaps not even that, as he has written what he wanted done; but you
shall know forthwith what has happened. All I do now is done secretly.
 
What shall I do about the boys? Shall I entrust them to a small boat?
What courage do you suppose I shall have on the voyage? For I remember
sailing in the summer in an open Rhodian boat with them and how anxious
I was; and how do you suppose it will be in the bad season in a tiny
pinnace? Misery everywhere!
 
Trebatius is with me, a real man and a loyal citizen. Ye gods, what
awful news he brings! So even Balbus is thinking of attending the
Senate! But I will give Trebatius himself a letter for you to-morrow. I
agree with your letter that Vettienus is friendly to me. But I made a
rather bitter jest at his expense, because he wrote curtly to me about
paying my debt. Appease him, if he took it in bad part. I addressed
him by his title "commissioner of the mint" because he addressed me as
"proconsul." But since he is a good man and has affection for me, let
me keep my affection for him. Farewell.
 
* * * * *
 
Page 328
 
 
 
 
XII
 
CICERO ATTICO SAL.
 
 
[Sidenote: _Scr. in Cumano III Non. Mai. a. 705_]
 
Quidnam mihi futurum est, aut quis me non solum infelicior, sed iam
etiam turpior? Nominatim de me sibi imperatum dicit Antonius, nec me
tamen ipse adhuc viderat, sed hoc Trebatio narravit. Quid agam nunc,
cui nihil procedit, caduntque ea, quae diligentissime sunt cogitata,
taeterrime? Ego enim Curionem nactus omnia me consecutum putavi. Is
de me ad Hortensium scripserat. Reginus erat totus noster. Huic nihil
suspicabamur cum hoc mari negotii fore. Quo me nunc vertam? Undique
custodior. Sed satis lacrimis. Παρακλεπτον igitur et occulte in
aliquam onerariam corrependum, non committendum, ut etiam compacto
prohibiti videamur. Sicilia petenda. Quam si erimus nacti, maiora
quaedam consequemur. Sit modo recte in Hispaniis! Quamquam de ipsa
Sicilia utinam sit verum! Sed adhuc nihil secundi. Concursus Siculorum
ad Catonem dicitur factus, orasse, ut resisteret, omnia pollicitos;
commotum illum dilectum habere coepisse. Non credo, ut est luculentus
auctor. Potuisse certe teneri illam provinciam scio. Ab Hispaniis autem
iam audietur.
 
Hic nos C. Marcellum habemus, eadem vere cogitantem aut bene
simulantem; quamquam ipsum non videram, sed ex familiarissimo eius
audiebam. Tu, quaeso, si quid habebis novi; ego, si quid moliti erimus,
ad te statim scribam. Quintum filium severius
 
* * * * *
 
Page 329
 
 
 
 
XII
 
CICERO TO ATTICUS, GREETING.
 
 
[Sidenote: _Cumae, May 5_, B.C. _49_]
 
What is to happen to me? Who is there more ill-starred, or even more
humiliated? Antony says he has received orders about me definitely. Yet
I have not seen him myself so far; but he told Trebatius. What can I
do now? Nothing succeeds and all my best laid plans fail abominably.
For, when I had won over Curio, I imagined I had attained my end. He
had written about me to Hortensius. Reginus was wholly my friend. I
never suspected that Antony had anything to do with this part of the
sea. Whither can I turn now? Everywhere I am watched. But enough of
lamentation. I must steal away and creep privily into some cargo boat;
I must not allow it to appear that I connive at being hindered. I must
go to Sicily. If I once get there, I shall have greater ends in view.
If only all goes well in Spain! However, I do hope the news about
Sicily may prove true! Hitherto I have had no luck. It is said the
Sicilians have gathered round Cato, prayed him to resist and promised
every support: and that he has been induced to begin making a levy. I
don't believe it, good as the authority is. I know for a fact that that
province could have been held. But we shall soon hear from Spain.
 
Here I have C. Marcellus, who holds the same views as myself or makes a
good pretence of doing so. I have not indeed met him myself; but I hear
it from one of his most intimate friends. Write to me, if you have any
news. If I attempt anything, I shall inform you at once. Young Quintus
I shall handle
 
* * * * *
 
Page 330
 
adhibebo. Utinam proficere possim! Tu tamen eas epistulas, quibus
asperius de eo scripsi, aliquando concerpito, ne quando quid emanet;
ego item tuas. Servium exspecto, nec ab eo quicquam ὑγις. Scies,
quicquid erit.
 
 
 
 
XIIa
 
CICERO ATTICO SAL.
 
 
[Sidenote: _Scr. in Cumano prid. Non. Mai. a. 705_]
 
Sine dubio errasse nos confitendum est. "At semel, at una in re." Immo
omnia quo diligentius cogitata eo facta sunt imprudentius.
 
λλτμν προτετχθαι ἐάσομεν χνμενοπερ, in reliquis modo ne
ruamus. Iubes de profectione me providere. Quid provideam? Ita patent
omnia, quae accidere possunt, ut, ea si vitem, sedendum sit cum
dedecore et dolore, si neglegam, periculum sit, ne in manus incidam
perditorum. Sed vide, quantis in miseriis simus. Optandum interdum
videtur, ut aliquam accipiamus ab istis quamvis acerbam iniuriam, ut
tyranno in odio fuisse videamur. Quodsi nobis is cursus, quem speraram,
pateret, effecissem aliquid profecto, ut tu optas et hortaris, dignum
nostra mora. Sed mirificae sunt custodiae, et quidem ille ipse Curio
suspectus. Quare vi aut clam agendum est et, si vi, fortiter cum
tempestate.[151] Clam autem istis? In quo si quod σφλμα, vides, quam
turpe sit. Trahimur, nec fugiendum, si quid violentius.
 
[151] et si vi forte ne cum pestate _M_: et si vi forte et cum
tempestate _Ant._, _F._ _I have adopted Orelli's reading; but it is very uncertain._

댓글 없음: