2015년 12월 21일 월요일

Cicero Letters to Atticus, Vol. 2 of 3 58

Cicero Letters to Atticus, Vol. 2 of 3 58


with severity. I hope my efforts may succeed. But please some time tear
up the letters in which I criticize him severely, for fear anything
ever come to light. I will tear up yours. Servius Sulpicius I am still
awaiting, nor do I hear anything satisfactory from him. You shall know
whatever happens.
 
 
 
 
XIIa
 
CICERO TO ATTICUS, GREETING.
 
 
[Sidenote: _Cumae, May 6_, B.C. _49_]
 
Undoubtedly I must admit I have been mistaken. But is it once only or
on one topic? No, in everything. The more carefully I have thought, the
less wisely have I done. "Let bygones be bygones."[152] In the future
only let us not invite disaster. You bid me provide for my journey.
What can I provide? All the possible accidents are so obvious, that,
if I would shun them, I must sit still in shame and grief: and, if I
disregard them, it is odds that I fall into the hands of villains. But
see how miserable I am. Sometimes it seems preferable that I should
receive some damage however bitter from Caesar's party, that people
may see I am hated by the tyrant. But, if the voyage for which I hoped
were open to me, certainly, as you wish and advise, I should have done
something to justify delay. But I am watched with extraordinary care
and even Curio is suspect. So I must make a bold move or use craft. If
a bold move, I need good weather: but, if craft, should there be any
_faux pas_, you see how disgraced I should be. I am carried away by
circumstances and must not be afraid of a bold course.
 
[152] Iliad xvii, 112, "But what is past though grieved we will let be."
 
* * * * *
 
Page 332
 
 
De Caelio saepe mecum agito nec, si quid habuero tale, dimittam.
Hispanias spero firmas esse. Massiliensium factum cum ipsum per se
luculentum est, tum mihi argumento est recte esse in Hispaniis. Minus
enim auderent, si aliter esset, et scirent; nam et vicini et diligentes
sunt. Odium autem recte animadvertis significatum in theatro. Legiones
etiam has, quas in Italia assumpsit, alienissimas esse video. Sed
tamen nihil inimicius quam sibi ipse. Illud recte times, ne ruat. Si
desperarit, certe ruet. Quo magis efficiendum aliquid est, fortuna
velim meliore, animo Caeliano. Sed primum quidque. Quod qualecumque
erit, continuo scies. Nos iuveni, ut rogas, suppeditabimus et
Peloponnesum ipsam sustinebimus. Est enim indoles, modo aliquod hoc sit
θος ΑΚΙΜΟΑΟΝ.[153] Quod si adhuc nullum est, esse tamen potest, aut
ρετὴ non est διδακτν, quod mihi persuaderi non potest.
 
[153] _The text here is corrupt and no convincing emendation has been
suggested._
 
 
 
 
XIII
 
CICERO ATTICO SAL.
 
 
[Sidenote: _Scr. in Cumano Non. Mai. a. 705_]
 
Epistula tua gratissima fuit meae Tulliae et me hercule mihi. Semper
speculam aliquam adferunt tuae litterae. Scribes igitur, ac, si quid ad
spem poteris, ne dimiseris. Tu Antoni leones pertimescas cave. Nihil
est illo homine iucundius. Attende πρξιν πολιτικοῦ.
 
* * * * *
 
Page 333
 
 
I often reflect about Caelius; and if I have such an opportunity, I
will not let it go. I hope Spain is safe. The action of the Massilians
is praiseworthy in itself, and is a proof to me that things are going
well in Spain. They would have been less bold, if it were otherwise,
and they should know, for they live near and are watchful. You are
right to remark the __EXPRESSION__ of popular feeling in the theatre. Even
the legions which Caesar got in Italy seem to me to be very disloyal
to him. However he is his own worst enemy. You are right to fear that
he may run amuck. Assuredly he will, if he loses hope. That is all the
more inducement for me to do something in the spirit of Caelius, and
I hope with better luck. But everything in due course; and, whatever
it be, I will inform you forthwith. I will do all for young Quintus
that is necessary, and will undertake the task not only of Arcadia but
of the whole Peloponnese.[154] He is able, if only he had character.
However, if he has none so far, he may get it, or virtue is not
teachable, and that I can never believe.
 
[154] Cf. x, 5.
 
 
 
 
XIII
 
CICERO TO ATTICUS, GREETING.
 
 
[Sidenote: _Cumae, May 7_, B.C. _49_]
 
Your letter was very pleasing to my daughter and of course to me, for
your correspondence always brings a gleam of hope. So please write,
and, if you can be hopeful, don't fail to be so. Don't be too much
afraid of Antony's lions.[155] He is a jovial fellow. Just hear
 
[155] Plutarch and Pliny state that after Pharsalia Antony had a
chariot drawn by lions: but from this passage it appears that the story
was current earlier.
 
* * * * *
 
Page 334
 
Evocavit litteris e municipiis decem primos et IIII viros. Venerunt ad
villam eius mane. Primum dormiit ad h. III, deinde, cum esset nuntiatum
venisse Neapolitanos et Cumanos (his enim est Caesar iratus), postridie
redire iussit; lavari se velle et περκοιλιολυσαν γνεσθαι. Hoc here
effecit. Hodie autem in Aenariam transire constituit. Exsulibus reditum
pollicetur.
 
Sed haec omittamus, de nobis aliquid agamas. A Q. Axio accepi litteras.
De Tirone gratum. Vettienum diligo. Vestorio reddidi. Servius pr.
Nonas Maias Menturnis mansisse dicitur, hodie in Liternino mansurus
apud C. Marcellum. Cras igitur nos mature videbit mihique dabit
argumentum ad te epistulae. Iam enim non reperio, quod tibi scribam.
Illud admiror, quod Antonius ad me ne nuntium quidem, cum praesertim me
valde observarit. Videlicet aliquid atrocius de me imperatum est. Coram
negare mihi non vult, quod ego nec rogaturus eram nec, si impetrassem,
crediturus. Nos tamen aliquid excogitabimus. Tu, quaeso, si quid in
Hispaniis. Iam enim poterit audiri, et omnes ita exspectant, ut, si
recte fuerit, nihil negotii futurum putent. Ego autem nec retentis iis
confectam rem puto, neque amissis desperatam. Silium et Ocellam et
ceteros credo retardatos. Te quoque a Curtio impediri video. Etsi, ut
opinor, habes ἔκπλουν.[156]
 
[156] ἔκπλουν _Baiter_: εκιταονον _MSS._
 
* * * * *
 
Page 335
 
how he plays the statesman. He summoned by letter ten leading men and
the board of four from the municipal towns. They came to his country
house in the morning. First he slept till nine. Then, when he heard the
men had come from Naples and Cumae (for Caesar is angry with them),
he bade them return on the next day, saying that he wished to take a
bath and a laxative. This he did yesterday. But to-day he has arranged
to cross to Aenaria. He is promising the exiles[157] that they shall
return.
 
[157] Banished under Pompey's law _de ambitu_ in 52 B.C.
 
But let us pass over this and talk about ourselves. I got a letter
from Q. Axius. As for Tiro, thanks. I like Vettienus. I have repaid
Vestorius. Servius is said to have stopped at Menturnae on the 6th of
May. To-day he will stop with C. Marcellus in his villa at Liternum.
To-morrow early he will see me, and will give me a subject for a letter
to you. Just now I can find nothing to write. I am much astonished that
Antony has not even sent a messenger to me, especially when he has paid
me much attention. I suppose he has some more truculent order about me.
He does not wish to refuse me to my face, but I was not going to ask
the favour, nor, if I had got it, should I have believed him. However
I will think out some plan. Let me know if anything has happened in
Spain; for now there is time for news to have come, and everybody
awaits it with the idea, that, if all go well there, there will be no
more trouble. But I do not think the business is over, if Spain be
kept, nor yet hopeless, if it be lost. Silius and Ocella and the rest
I suppose are detained. I see that you too are hindered by Curtius,
though I think you have a passport.
 
* * * * *
 
Page 336
 
 
 
 
XIV
 
CICERO ATTICO SAL.
 
 
[Sidenote: _Scr. in Cumano VIII Id. Mai. a. 705_]
 
O vitam miseram, maiusque malum tam diu timere, quam est illud ipsum,
quod timetur! Servius, ut antea scripsi, cum venisset Nonis Maiis,
postridie ad me mane venit. Ne diutius te teneam, nullius consilii
exitum invenimus. Numquam vidi hominem perturbatiorem metu; neque
hercule quicquam timebat, quod non esset timendum; illum sibi iratum,
hunc non amicum; horribilem utriusque victoriam, cum propter alterius
crudelitatem, alterius audaciam tum propter utriusque difficultatem
pecuniariam; quae erui nusquam nisi ex privatorum bonis posset.
Atque haec ita multis cum lacrimis loquebatur, ut ego mirarer eas
tam diuturna miseria non exaruisse. Mihi quidem etiam lippitudo
haec, propter quam non ipse ad te scribo, sine ulla lacrima est, sed
saepius odiosa est propter vigilias. Quam ob rem, quicquid habes ad
consolandum, collige et illa scribe, non ex doctrina neque ex libris
(nam id quidem domi est, sed nescio quo modo imbecillior est medicina
quam morbus), haec potius conquire de Hispaniis, de Massilia; quae quidem satis bella Servius adfert; qui etiam de duabus legionibus luculentos auctores esse dicebat. Haec igitur, si habebis, et talia. Et quidem paucis diebus aliquid audiri necesse est.

댓글 없음: