2015년 12월 21일 월요일

Cicero Letters to Atticus, Vol. 2 of 3 59

Cicero Letters to Atticus, Vol. 2 of 3 59


Sed redeo ad Servium. Distulimus omnino sermonem in posterum, sed
tardus ad exeundum "multo se
 
* * * * *
 
Page 337
 
 
 
 
XIV
 
CICERO TO ATTICUS, GREETING.
 
 
[Sidenote: _Cumae, May 8_, B.C. _49_]
 
What a wretched life this is! and to be so long afraid is more wretched
than the very thing one fears! Servius, as I told you before, came
on the 7th of May and on the next morning visited me. Not to detain
you longer, we could not see our way to a plan. Never have I seen a
man more upset with fear; and upon my soul he feared nothing that did
not deserve to be feared. He pointed out that Pompey was angry with
him, that Caesar was not friendly, that the victory of either would
be terrible, both because Pompey was cruel and Caesar daring, and
because of their money difficulties, which could only be got rid of by
an attack on private property. He bewailed all this with such a flood
of tears, that I was surprised they had not dried up in all that long
time of misery. My own eyes do not shed one single tear, though this
inflammation prevents me from writing to you; but it is often tiresome
by keeping me awake. So please collect all the consolation you can and
send it to me--not from philosophy or books--I have plenty of that, but
I find somehow that the cure is too weak for the disease. Search rather
for any news about Spain or Massilia. What Servius says about them is
quite satisfactory, and he also tells me there is excellent authority
for the story of the two legions. News of this kind then send me, if
you get it, and such like topics. Anyhow in a few days something must
be heard.
 
But to return to Servius. We deferred all our conversation to the next
day: but he is reluctant to leave Italy, declaring he would much rather
die in
 
* * * * *
 
Page 338
 
in suo lectulo malle, quicquid foret." Odiosus scrupulus de filii
militia Brundisina. Unum illud firmissime adseverabat, si damnati
restituerentur, in exsilium se iturum. Nos autem ad haec "et id
ipsum certo fore, et, quae iam fierent, non esse leviora," multaque
colligebamus. Verum ea non animum eius augebant, sed timorem, ut iam
celandus magis de nostro consilio quam adhibendus videretur. Quare in
hoc non multum est. Nos a te admoniti de Caelio cogitabimus.
 
 
 
 
XV
 
CICERO ATTICO SAL.
 
 
[Sidenote: _Scr. in Cumano IV Id. Mai. a. 705_]
 
Servius cum esset apud me, Cephalio cum tuis litteris VI Idus venit;
quae nobis magnam spem attulerunt meliorum rerum de octo cohortibus.
Etenim eae quoque, quae in his locis sunt, labare dicuntur. Eodem
die Funisulanus a te attulit litteras, in quibus erat confirmatius
idem illud. Ei de suo negotio respondi cumulate cum omni tua gratia.
Adhuc non satis faciebat; debet autem mihi multos nummos nec habetur
locuples. Nunc ait se daturum; cui expensum tulerit, morari;
tabellariis, si apud te esset qua satis fecisset, dares. Quantum sit,
Eros Philotimi tibi dicet. Sed ad maiora redeamus.
 
Quod optas, Caelianum illud maturescit. Itaque torqueor, utrum ventum
exspectem. Vexillo opus est; convolabunt. Quod suades, ut palam,
prorsus adsentior, itaque me profecturum puto. Tuas tamen
 
* * * * *
 
Page 339
 
his bed whatever happens. He has unpleasant scruples about his son's
military service at Brundisium. On one point he is quite firm, that,
if the condemned are restored, he will go into exile. I for my part
replied "that will certainly happen, and what is happening is equally
disagreeable," and I quoted many examples. My examples however did not
increase his courage but his fear: so that it appears I must rather
conceal from him my design than invite him to share it. He is not to be
depended on. By your advice I will consider about Caelius.
 
 
 
 
XV
 
CICERO TO ATTICUS, GREETING.
 
 
[Sidenote: _Cumae, May 12_, B.C. _49_]
 
While Servius was with me, Cephalio came with your letter of the 10th,
which gave me great hope of better news about the eight cohorts. For
even the cohorts which are here are said to be wavering. On the same
day Funisulanus brought me a letter from you, corroborating the same
news. I gave him a full reply about his business, explaining all your
kindness. Hitherto he has not been satisfactory; and he owes me a large
sum and is not considered safe. Now he says that he will settle; but
that a debtor of his was slow in paying, and that you are to pay the
money by your letter-carriers, if that debtor has deposited it with
you. The amount Philotimus' man Eros will tell you. But to return to
more important matters.
 
That Caelian plan you favour is coming to a head: so I am worried
whether to await a favourable wind. It is a standard we want, and men
will flock to it. With your advice, that I should set sail openly, I
entirely agree: and so I think I will set out. However
 
* * * * *
 
Page 340
 
interim litteras exspecto. Servi consilio nihil, expeditur. Omnes
captiones in omni sententia occurrunt. Unum C. Marcellum cognovi
timidiorem; quem consulem fuisse paenitet. Ὢ πολλς γεννεας! qui
etiam Antonium confirmasse dicitur, ut me impediret, quo ipse, credo,
honestius. Antonius autem VI Idus Capuam profectus est. Ad me misit, se
pudore deterritum ad me non venisse, quod me sibi suscensere putaret.
Ibitur igitur et ita quidem, ut censes, nisi cuius gravioris personae
suscipiendae spes erit ante oblata. Sed vix erit tam cito. Allienus
autem praetor putabat aliquem, si ego non, ex collegis suis. Quivis
licet, dum modo aliquis.
 
De sorore laudo. De Quinto puero datur opera; spero esse meliora. De
Quinto fratre scito eum non mediocriter laborare de versura, sed adhuc
nihil a L. Egnatio expressit. Axius de duodecim milibus pudens! Saepe
enim ad me scripsit, ut Gallio, quantum is vellet, darem. Quodsi non
scripsisset, possemne aliter? Et quidem saepe sum pollicitus, sed
tantum voluit cito. Me vero adiuvarent his in angustiis. Sed di istos!
Verum alias. Te a quartana liberatum gaudeo itemque Piliam. Ego, dum
panis et cetera in navem parantur, excurro in Pompeianum. Vettieno
velim gratias, quod studiosus sit; si quemquam nanctus eris, qui
perferat, litteras des, antequam discedimus.
 
* * * * *
 
Page 341
 
I await a letter from you meanwhile. Servius' advice has not been
helpful. All sorts of bars meet us in every opinion he expresses. Only
one man, C. Marcellus, have I known to be more timid, and he is sorry
he was ever a consul. What a lowborn spirit! He is said even to have
strengthened Antony's resolution to prevent my departure: so that his
own conduct I suppose may appear more honourable. Antony started for
Capua on the 10th, sending word that shame prevented his visiting me,
because he thought I was annoyed with him. So I shall go, and openly as
you advise, unless hope of playing a more important part shall offer.
But that can scarcely occur so soon. Allienus the praetor thought one
of his colleagues would be chosen,[158] if I were not. Let it be anyone
they like so long as it is some one.
 
[158] As peace delegate.
 
As to your sister, I approve. As for young Quintus, I am doing my best,
and I hope things are better. As for my brother Quintus, you must know
that he is taking extraordinary pains to borrow money to settle his
debt; but so far has squeezed nothing out of L. Egnatius. Axius is
modest about the £100[159]: for he often requested in his letters that
I should pay Gallius as much as he wanted. Even if he had not written,
could I have helped it? I have often promised indeed; but he wanted so
much at once. They should have helped me rather in my difficulties,
confound them. But I will write of this another time. I am glad you
are rid of your ague, and Pilia too. While bread and provisions are
being put on board, I am going off to my estate at Pompeii. Please
thank Vettienus for his trouble. If you can find a messenger, give me a
letter before I leave.[159] 12,000 sesterces.
  XVI
  CICERO ATTICO SAL.
 
 
[Sidenote: _Scr. in Cumano prid. Id. Mai. a. 705_]
 
Commodum ad te dederam litteras de pluribus rebus, cum ad me bene mane
Dionysius fuit. Cui quidem ego non modo placabilem me praebuissem,
sed totum remisissem, si venisset, qua mente tu ad me scripseras.
Erat enim sic in tuis litteris, quas Arpini acceperam, eum venturum
facturumque, quod ego vellem. Ego volebam autem vel cupiebam potius
esse eum nobiscum. Quod quia plane, cum in Formianum venisset,
praeciderat, asperius ad te de eo scribere solebam. At ille perpauca
locutus hanc summam habuit orationis, ut sibi ignoscerem; se rebus
suis impeditum nobiscum ire non posse. Pauca respondi, magnum accepi
dolorem, intellexi fortunam ab eo nostram despectam esse. Quid quaeris?
(fortasse miraberis) in maximis horum temporum doloribus hunc mihi
scito esse. Velim, ut tibi amicus sit. Hoc cum tibi opto, opto, ut beatus sis; erit enim tam diu.

댓글 없음: