2017년 1월 19일 목요일

Hills of Han 10

Hills of Han 10



Withery stepped within the room, closed the door behind him, and looked
straight up into that mask of a face; in his own deep emotion he thought
of it as a tragic mask.
 
“Grigg,” he said very simply, “what’s the matter?”
 
There was a silence. Then Doane came toward the door.
 
“The matter?” he queried, with an effort to smile.
 
“Can’t we talk, Grigg?... I know you are in deep trouble.”
 
“Well”--Doane rested a massive hand on a bedpost--“I won’t say that it
isn’t an anxious time, Henry. I’m pinning my faith to Pau Ting
Chuan. But... And, of course, if I could have foreseen all the little
developments, I wouldn’t have sent for Betty. Though it’s not easy
to see what else I could have done. Frank and Ethel couldn’t keep her
longer. And the expense of any other arrangement... She’s nineteen,
Henry. A young woman. Curious--a young woman whom I’ve never even seen
as such, and my daughter!”
 
“It isn’t that, Grigg.”
 
At the moment Withery could say no more. He sank into a chair by the
door, depressed in spirit.
 
Doane walked to the window; looked out at the stars; drummed a moment on
the glass.
 
“It’s been uphill work, Henry... since nineteen hundred.”
 
Withery cleared his throat. “It isn’t that,” he repeated unsteadily.
 
Doane stood there a moment longer; then turned and gazed gloomily at his
friend.
 
The silence grew painful.
 
Finally, Doane sighed, spread his hands in the manner of one who
surrenders to fate, and came slowly over to the bed; stretching out his
long frame there, against the pillows.
 
“So it’s as plain as that, Henry.”
 
“It is--to me.”
 
“I wonder if I can talk.”
 
“The question is, Grigg--can I help you?”
 
“I’m afraid not, Henry. I doubt if any one can.” The force of this sank
slowly into Withery’s mind. “No one?” he asked in a hushed voice.
 
“I’m afraid not.... Do you think the others, my people here, see it?”
 
“The tone has changed here, Grigg.”
 
“I’ve tried not to believe it.”
 
“I’ve felt it increasingly for several years. When I’ve passed through.
Even in your letters. It’s been hard to speak before. For that matter, I
had formulated no question. It was just an impression. But today... and
to-night...”
 
“It’s as bad as that, now.”
 
“Suppose I say that it’s as definite as that, Grigg. The impression.”
 
Doane let his head drop back against the pillows; closed his eyes.
 
“The words don’t matter,” he remarked.
 
“No, they don’t, of course.” Withery’s mind, trained through the busy
years to the sort of informal confessional familiar to priests of
other than the Roman church, was clearing itself of the confusions of
friendship and was ready to dismiss, for the time, philosophically; the
sense of personal loss.
 
“Is it something you’ve done, Grigg?” he asked now, gently. “Have you--”
 
Doane threw out an interrupting hand.
 
“No,” he said rather shortly, “I’ve not broken the faith, Henry, not in
act.”
 
“In your thoughts only?”
 
“Yes. There.”
 
“It is doubt?... Strange, Grigg, I never knew a man whose faith had in
it such vitality. You’ve inspired thousands. Tens of thousands. You--I
will say this, now--you, nothing more, really, than my thoughts of you
carried me through my bad time. Through those doldrums when the ardor of
the first few years had burned out and I was spent, emotionally. It was
with your help that I found my feet again. You never knew’ that.”
 
“No. I didn’t know that.”
 
“I worried a good deal, then. I had never before been aware of the
church as a worldly organization, as a political mechanism. I hadn’t
questioned it. It was Hidderleigh’s shrewd campaign for the bishopric
that disturbed me. Then the money raised questions, of course.”
 
“There’s been a campaign on this winter, over in the States,” said
Doane, speaking slowly and thoughtfully. “Part of that fund is to be
sent here to help extend my work in the province. They’re using all the
old emotional devices. All the claptrap. Chaplain Cabell is touring the
churches with his little cottage organ and his songs.”
 
“But the need is real out here, Grigg. And the people at home must be
stirred into recognizing it. They can’t he reached except through their
emotions. I’ve been through all that. I see now, clearly enough, that
it’s an imperfect world. We must do the best we can with it. Because it
is imperfect we must keep at our work.”
 
“You know as well as I what they’re doing, Henry. Cabell, all that
crowd, haven’t once mentioned Hansi. They’re talking the Congo.”
 
“But you forget, Grigg, that the emotional interest of our home people
in China has run out. They thought about us during the Boxer trouble,
and later, during the famine in Shensi. Now, because of the talk of
slavery and atrocities in Central Africa, public interest has shifted to
that part of the world.”
 
“And so they’re playing on the public sympathy for Africa to raise
money, some of which is later to be diverted to Central China.”
 
“What else can they do?”
 
“I don’t know.”
 
“You find yourself inclined to question the whole process?”
 
“Yes.”
 
“Aren’t you misplacing your emphasis, Grigg? We all do that, of course.
Now and then.... Isn’t the important thing for you, the emphatic
thing, to spread the word of God in Hansi Province?” He leaned forward,
speaking simply, with sincerity.
 
Doane closed his eyes again; and compressed his lips.
 
Withery, anxiously watching him, saw that the healthy color was leaving
his face.
 
After a silence that grew steadily in intensity, Doane at last opened
his eyes, and spoke, huskily, but with grim force.
 
“Of course, Henry, you’re right. Right enough. These things are details.
They’re on my nerves, that’s all. I’m going to tell you...” He sat up,
slowly swung his feet to the floor, clasped his hands.... “I’ll spare
you my personal history of the past few years. And, of course, captious
criticism of the church is no proper introduction to what I’m going
to say. During these recent years I’ve been groping through my own
Gethsemane. It has been a terrible time. There have been many moments
when I’ve questioned the value of the struggle. If I had been as nearly
alone as it has seemed, sometimes... I mean, if there hadn’t been little
Betty to think of...”
 
“I understand,” Withery murmured.
 
“In a way I’ve come through my Valley. My head has cleared a little. And
now I know only too clearly; it is very difficult; in a way, the time
of doubt and groping was easier to bear... I know that I am in the wrong
work.”
 
Withery, with moist eyes, studied the carpet.
 
“You are sure?” he managed to ask.
 
He felt rather than saw his friend’s slow nod.
 
“It’s a relief, of course, to tell you.” Doane was speaking with less
effort now; but his color had not returned. “There’s no one else.
I couldn’t say it to Hidderleigh. To me that man is fundamentally
dishonest.”
 
Withery found it difficult to face such extreme frankness. His mind
slipped around it into another channel. He was beginning to feel that
Grigg mustn’t be let off so easily. There were arguments....
 
“One thing that has troubled me, even lately,” he said, hunting for
some common ground of thought and speech, “is the old denominational
differences back home. I can’t take all that for granted, as so many
of our younger workers do. It has seemed to me that the conference last
year should have spoken out more vigorously on that one point. We
can never bring missionary work into any sort of unity here while the
denominational spirit is kept alive at home.”

댓글 없음: