2017년 1월 23일 월요일

Hills of Han 46

Hills of Han 46


The door slowly opened, and a drab little man came in, walking with a
slight limp, and stood looking at him out of dusty blue eyes. He carried
a packet of papers.
 
“Grigg!” he exclaimed softly.
 
“Henry Withery!” cried Doane, “What on earth are you doing here?”
 
Withery smiled, and laid hat and packet on the table.
 
“I’ve arranged to dine with you,” he explained. “You won’t mind?”
 
“Of course not, Henry. But why are you here?”
 
“My plans were changed.”
 
“Evidently. Do sit down.”
 
“I came back to find you. I’ve been waiting here for a chance to get
through. We’ve worried greatly, of course. A rumor came from the Chinese
that you were killed.”
 
“I nearly was,” said Doane quietly. A cloud had crossed his face as he
listened. At every point, apparently, at each fresh contact with life,
he was to be brought face to face with his predicament. It would be
pitiless business, of course, all the way through, for the severest
judge of all he had yet to face dwelt within his own breast; long after
the world had forgotten, that judge would be pronouncing sentence upon
him.
 
“You got through to Shanghai?” he asked abruptly.
 
Withery, touched by his appearance, a little disturbed by his nervously
abrupt manner, inclined his head.
 
“Well, it’s out, I suppose. What are they saying about me, Henry?
Really, you’d better tell me. I’ve got to live through this thing, you
know. I may as well have the truth at once.”
 
Withery lowered his eyes; fingered the chopsticks that lay by his plate.
 
“No,” he said slowly. “No, Grigg, it’s not out.”
 
“But you know of it. Surely others do, then. And they’ll talk. It’s the
worst way. It’ll run wild. I’d rather face a church trial than that.”
He was himself unaware that he had been constantly brooding upon this
aspect of his trouble, yet the words came snapping out as if he had
thought of nothing else.
 
“Now, Grigg,” said Withery, in the same deliberately thoughtful way,
“I want you to let me talk. I’ve come way back here just to do that.
Hidderleigh showed me your letter. Then in my presence, he destroyed it.
I have promised him I would speak of it to no one but you. ... Neither
you nor I could have foreseen just how Hidderleigh would take this.
He is, of course, as he has always been, a dogmatic thinker. But like
others of us, he has grown some with the years. He’s less narrow, Grigg.
He knows you pretty well--your ability, your influence. He respects
you.”
 
“Respects me?” Doane nearly laughed.
 
“Yes. He sees as clearly as you or I could that any human creature may
slip. And he knows that no single slip is fatal. Grigg, he wants you to
go back and take up your work.”
 
Doane could not at once comprehend this astonishing statement. He was
deeply moved. Withery by his simple friendliness had already done much
to restore in his mind, for the moment, a normal feeling for life.
 
“But he feels, Grigg, that you ought to marry again.”
 
Doane shook his head abruptly.
 
“No,” he cried, “I can’t consider that. Not now.”
 
“As he said to me, Grigg, ‘It is not good for man to be alone!’”
 
Withery let the subject rest here, and asked about the fighting. The
whole outside world was watching these Hansi hills, it appeared. The
Imperial Government was already disclaiming responsibility. Troops were
on their way, from Hong Kong, from the Philippines, from Indo-China.
 
“It will be a month or so before they can get out here,” mused Doane.
 
“Oh, yes! At best.”
 
“Meantime, the compound will fall at the first really determined attack.
They’ve been afraid of Pour-mont’s machine guns--I heard some of their
talk last night, and the night before--but let Kang come to a decision
to drive them in and they’ll go. That will settle it in a day.”
 
“Will they have the courage?”
 
“I think so. You and I know these people, Henry. They’re brave enough.
All they lack is leadership, and organization. And this crowd have a
strong fanaticism to hold them up. Once let Kang appeal to their spirit
and they’ll have to go in to save face. For if they can’t be seen the
only danger is of an accident here and there. And, for that matter, Kang
may simply be waiting for Pourmont to use up his ammunition. It can’t
last a great while, not in a real siege, which this is.”
 
“By the way,” said Withery a little later, “here is a lot of mail for
Pourmont’s people. It’s been accumulating. There was no way to get it to
them.”
 
“I’ll take it in,” said Doane.
 
“You? You don’t mean that you’re going to ran that gauntlet again,
Grigg?”
 
“Yes.” He untied the packet, and looked through the little heap of
envelopes. One was a cablegram addressed to Jonathan Brachey. He held
it in tense fingers; gazed at it long while the pulse mounted in his
temples. “Oh, yes,” he said, almost casually then, “I’m going hack in.
They’ll be looking for me.” But his thoughts were running wild again.
 
Withery said, before he left, “I’m going to ask you not to answer
Hidderleigh’s request until you’ve thought it over carefully. My own
feeling is that he is right.”
 
“Suppose,” said Doane, “my final decision should be--as I think it
will--that I can’t go back. What will they do?”
 
“Then I’ve promised him, I’ll go in and take up your work. As soon as
this trouble is over.”
 
“That knocks out your year at home, Henry.”
 
“Yes, but what matters it? Very likely I shall find more happiness in
working, after all. That isn’t what disturbs me.... Grigg, if you leave
the church it will be, I think, the severest blow of my life. I--I’m
going to tell you this--for years I’ve leaned on you. You didn’t know,
but I’ve made a better job of my life for knowing that you too were hard
at it, just beyond the mountains. We haven’t seen much of each other, of
late years, but I’ve felt you there.”
 
Doane’s stern face softened as he looked at his old friend.
 
“And I’ve felt you, Henry,” he replied gently.
 
“Your blunders are those of strength, not of weakness, Grigg. Perhaps
your greatest mistake has been in leaning a little too strongly on
yourself. What I want you to consider now is giving self up, in every
way.”
 
But Duane shook his great head.
 
“No, Henry--no! I’ve given to the uttermost for years. And it has
wrecked my life--”
 
“No, Grigg! Don’t say that!”
 
“Well--put it as you will. The trouble has been that I was doing wrong
all the time--for years--as I told you back in Tiaman, I was doing the
wrong thing. It led, all of it, to sin. For that sin, of course, I’ve
suffered, and must suffer more. The best reason I could think of for
going back would be to keep this added burden off your shoulders. But
that would be wrong too. It’s getting a little clearer to me. I know
now that I’ve got to face my doubts and my sins, take them honestly for
whatever they may be. Each life must function in its own way. In the
eagerness of youth I chose wrong. I must now take the consequences.
Good-by, now! There’s barely time to slip through the lines before
dawn.”
 
Withery rose. “I’ll go with you,” he said.
 
“No. I won’t allow that. You haven’t the strength. You’re not an
outdoor man We should have to separate anyway; together we should almost
certainly be caught. No. You stay here and get word through to them
from day to day if you can find any one to undertake it. It will mean
everything to them to hear from the outside world. Good luck!”
 
He took the packet and went out.
 
3
 
Again it was dawn Griggsby Doane stood on the crest of a terraced hi’!
looking off into the purple west. But a few miles farther on lay Ping
Yang.
 
Beneath him, near the foot of the slope, four coolies were already at
the radiating windlasses of a well, and tiny streams of yellow water
were trickling along troughs in the loess toward this and that field,
where bent silent farmers waited clod in hand to guide the precious
fluid from furrow to furrow. Still farther down, along the sunken
highway, a few venturesome muleteers led their trains. No outposts in
the Looker uniform were to be seen. And he heard no shots. It would be a
lull, then, in the fighting.
 
He descended the hill, dropped into the road, and walked, head high,
toward Ping Yang. As he swung along he heard, far off, the shots his
ears had strained for on the hill; one, another, then a spattering
volley; but he walked straight on. The Mongols and Chihleans on the road
gave him no more than the usual glance of curiosity. He passed through
a village; Ping Yang would be the next. The railway grade--here
an earthen rampart, there a cutting, yonder a temporary wooden
trestle--paralleled the highway, cutting into the heart of old China
like a surgeon’s knife, letting out superstition and festering poverty,
letting n the strong fluids of commerce and education. He felt the
health of it profoundly, striding on alone through the cool, dear
morning air. It was imperfect, of course, this Western civilization that

댓글 없음: