2017년 1월 2일 월요일

The Goddess of Reason 31

The Goddess of Reason 31


LALAIN
 
Where?
 
[_She points. They move together to the base of the
statue._
 
DE VARDES (_to_ YVETTE)
 
I owe my life to thee, thou hapless child!
Ah, couldst thou make this throng depart the place!
 
YVETTE
 
Monseigneur
 
THE CROWD
 
Goddess of Reason! light the torch!
 
YVETTE
 
I’m faint!The houses all are dancing there!
Give me drink!
 
A MAN
 
Here’s wine!
 
[_He pours wine into a great gold cup._
 
YVETTE
 
‘Tis in a chalice!
 
THE CROWD
 
Drink!
 
[YVETTE _drinks_.
 
YVETTE
 
Nom de Dieu! ‘Tis right good wine, indeed!
Not now I’ll light the torch‘Tis out for good!
And while we linger here the sunlight goes!
Let’s to the quai, let’s to the quai and dance
And dance the Carmagnole!
 
THE CROWD
 
The Carmagnole!
 
[_Men and women take hands and begin to dance._
 
YVETTE
 
Away! Down the long street, and to the quai!
Take hands! Away! _Dansons la Carmagnole!_
 
[_She snatches from a boy a tambourine and strikes it._
 
_Vive le son, vive le son,
Vive le son du canon!_
 
[_The crowd disperses._ DE VARDES _remains standing
before the pillar behind which crouches_ THE MARQUISE.
SÉRAPHINE _watches from the church steps_;
LALAIN _and_ NANON _from the base of the Statue
of Liberty_.
 
Monseigneur!
 
DE VARDES
 
Ay.
 
YVETTE
 
Now, now while the lark sings,
And while the fairy wood is green, begone!
Oh, ‘tis not safe in Nantes! They gave thy life,
But oh, they’re fierce and fickle! Back they’ll come!
I’ve enemies in Nantes, and there’s Lalain,
Rémond Lalain who’ll work me woe at last!
Thou must begone, but list, ah, list to me!
I know a secret place where thou mayst bide,
So safe! so safe! and I will bring thee food,
White bread and wine, and find for thee a way
Forth from the town
 
DE VARDES
 
Ah, I may trust thee, sure!
 
YVETTE
 
I never knew thou wast in prison there!
So sad, so dark the prison life, they say!
My cagèd bird I freed the other day.
There are so many prisoners in Nantes,
I would not have it one!
 
DE VARDES
 
My life I owe
 
YVETTE
 
The spring draws on; ‘twill soon be June again!
 
DE VARDES
 
Now for another life I make my suit
 
YVETTE
 
In Paimpont Wood the trees are greening now,
In sun and shade the purple violets blow!
 
DE VARDES
 
In those old convent days, ah, ages gone!
Beneath the fruit trees, by the fountain there,
I’ve seen thee nurse a little fluttering bird,
Wounded and frightened, fallen from the blue,
But yet God’s bird, and with a life to save!
And thou didst stroke its plumage tenderly,
And gently fostered it between thy hands
Awhile, and up it soared into the blue;
A moment since and thou didst save my life.
Lo now, there is another thing to do!
Before my own life, I’ve a life in charge,
And to thee now I turn, and plead for help.
In this wild town thou rulest o’er the hour;
Be now the goddess and the woman too,
Pitiful, tender, generous, and true!
Lo! here a wounded bird
 
[_He moves aside._ THE MARQUISE _leaves the shadow
of the pillar_.
 
YVETTE
 
Death of my life!
 
THE MARQUISE
 
Oh, guard me, all ye saints!
 
DE VARDES
 
Yvette! Yvette!
 
[LALAIN _comes forward from the statue_.
 
LALAIN (_to_ YVETTE)
 
Right of the Seigneur!
 
YVETTE
 
So! Thou hast returned,
Beneath the trees, along the moonlit road!
And in thine arms the rose and eglantine,
And on thy lips the song of all the birds!
Back! There is a furze field bars thy way!
 
THE MARQUISE
 
Mon Dieu!
 
YVETTE
 
Hast thou another fan to break?
Ha! shrinkest thou?
 
THE MARQUISE
 
Sainte Geneviève!
   

댓글 없음: