2015년 3월 2일 월요일

Astounding Stories of Super-Science 21

Astounding Stories of Super-Science 21


Coffee managed to find something to hold on to. He struggled to his
feet. Corporal Wallis, recovering from the certainty of death and the
torture of sound, was being very sea-sick from the tank's motion. The
prisoner moved away from him on the steel floor. He looked gloomily up
at Coffee.
 
"Listen to 'em," said Coffee bitterly. "Tanks! Tanks! Tanks! Hell! If
they'd given us infantry a chance--"
 
"You said it," said the prisoner savagely. "This is a hell of a way to
fight a war."
 
Corporal Wallis turned a greenish face to them.
 
"The infantry always gets the dirty end of the stick," he gasped. "Now
they--now they' makin' infantry ride in tanks! Hell!"
 
 
 
 
Invisible Death
 
_By Anthony Pelcher_
 
[Illustration: _Wildly racing through the night, missing other cars by a
breath, the visible car continued its pursuit of--what?_]
 
[Sidenote: On Lees' quick and clever action depended the life of "Old
Perk" Ferguson, the millionaire manufacturer threatened by the uncanny,
invisible killer.]
 
 
The inquest into the mysterious death of Darius Darrow, savant,
inventor, recluse and eccentric, resembled a scientific convention. Men
and women of high scientific attainment, and, in some instances, world
fame, attended to hear first hand the strange, uncanny, unbelievable
circumstances as hinted by the newspapers.
 
Mrs. Susan Darrow, the widow, was the paramount witness. She appeared a
quaint figure as she took the stand. Tearful, yet alert, this little
woman betrayed the intelligence that had made her one of the world's
foremost chemists. She gave her age as fifty-eight, but if it had not
been for her snowy hair she would have looked much younger. She was
small but not frail, and had expressive blue eyes. She had a firm little
nose and chin, and was garbed in black silk garments of a fashion
evidently dating back a decade.
 
Although not modern in dress, her answers to questions regarding
scientific and business affairs involved in the mysterious case, proved
she was thoroughly abreast of the times in all other particulars.
 
"You believe your husband was murdered?" bluntly asked the examiner at
one stage.
 
"That is my opinion," she said, then added: "It might have been some
scientific accident, the nature of which I cannot fathom. We were
confidential in all matters except my husband's work. He reserved the
right to be secretive about the scientific problems on which he was
working."
 
"Can you throw any light on a motive for such a crime?"
 
"The motive seems self-evident. He was working on an invention that he
said would do away with war and would make the owner of the device a
practical world dictator, should he choose to exercise such power. The
device was completed. The murderer killed him to secure his device. That
all seems plain enough."
 
"Was anything else of value taken?"
 
"We had nothing else of value about the place. I was never given to
jewelry. The furnishings and equipment were undisturbed. It is quite
evident, I think, that the thief was no ordinary petty burglar."
 
* * * * *
 
The attorney interposed: "I believe we had better let Mrs. Darrow tell
this story from the beginning in her own way. There are only two really
important witnesses. Whatever she can remember to recite might be of
value to the authorities. Now, Mrs. Darrow, how long had you lived at
Brooknook? Begin there and just let your story unfold. Try to control
your nerves and emotions."
 
"I am not emotional. I am not nervous," said the quaint little woman,
bravely. "My heart hurts, that is all.
 
"The place was named by my father. We inherited it at his death, thirty
years ago, and moved in. My two children were born and died there. At
first we kept the servants and maintained all of the thirty-two rooms.
But after the children were gone, we both gave ourselves over to study
and we began to close one room after another, releasing the servants one
by one."
 
"How many rooms do you occupy now?"
 
"We lived in three, a living-room, kitchen and bedroom. The two big
parlors were turned into a laboratory. We both worked there. It was
there my husband met his death at his work. Sometimes we worked
together, sometimes independently. I did all my own housework, except
the laundry, which I sent out. We had no visitors. We lived for each
other and our work."
 
"Tell us about the rooms that were not occupied."
 
"We left them just as they always had been. I have not been in any of
these rooms for twenty years. Once I looked into the little girl's
room--my daughter's room. It was dusty and cobwebby, but undisturbed by
human hand. My husband peered in over my shoulder. I closed the door. We
turned away in each other's arms."
 
* * * * *
 
Here the little old woman fell to weeping softly into her lace
handkerchief. Minutes lapsed as the court waited, respecting her grief.
 
"Were these rooms locked?" asked the attorney finally.
 
"No," said the widow, recovering, as she dabbed at her eyes. "We feared
no one. All the rooms were closed, but not locked. The outside doors
were seldom locked. We lived in our own world. For appearance sake we
kept up the grounds. Peck, the gardener, kept the grounds, as you know.
He called in outside help when necessary. This was his affair. We never
bothered him. He lived probably a half mile up the road. The first of
each month he would come for his pay. He was practically our only
visitor.
 
"When it was necessary to see our attorney or other connections, Peck
would drive us. At first he used to drive our horses. Ten years ago we
pastured the horses for life and bought the small car. We seldom went
out. We have no close friends and no relatives nearer than the Pacific
coast. They are distant cousins. You see, we were rather alone in the
world since the children went away--we never spoke of them as being
dead."
 
Again the court was hushed. The coroner and the attorney took occasion
to blow their noses rather violently.
 
"On May 27th, the day your husband died, what happened, as you
re-remember it?" asked the attorney.
 
"We arose and had breakfast as usual. I was puttering about the rooms.
My husband kissed me and started for the laboratory. I was in the
kitchen. It was about ten o'clock when I finished in the kitchen and
went into the living room which adjoins the laboratory. I had been
rather fretted, something unusual for me. It seemed I dimly sensed the
presence of someone near me, someone I did not know, an outsider. I
thought it was foolish of me and buckled up.
 
"But when I went into the living room, it seemed as if some invisible
presence were following me. I could hear the low hum of my husband's
device. The door of the laboratory was open. He called to me and said:
 
"'Sue dear, it seems strange, but I made two models of this set and now
I can find only one. You could not have misplaced the other by any
chance, could you?'
 
"I assured him I knew nothing of it and he said, 'Hum-m, that's funny.'
Then he went back into the library and closed the door. The humming
continued. I was more annoyed than ever, but I did not want to bother my
husband. Then a queer thing happened. I saw the door of the laboratory
open and close, but I did not see anyone. The next instant, I heard my
husband's outcry. It was more a groan than a scream.
 
* * * * *
 
"I rushed into the laboratory. My husband was lying by his slate-topped
table. The device, I noticed, was gone. It was no bigger than a
coffee-mill, I thought, as I bent over my husband. Strange how such a
thought could have crowded in at such a time.
 
"My husband's head was bleeding. It was cut, a long gash over the ear,
just below the bald spot. It must have been a frightful blow. I looked
in his eyes. My nurse's and pharmaceutical course gave me knowledge
which sent a chill to my heart. He was dead. I must have fainted.
 
"When I recovered I ran for Peck. I found him near the house, coming my
way and holding his right eye.
 
"'Something struck me,' he said. Then, seeing me so pale, he said, 'My
God! Mrs. Darrow, what has happened?'
 
"'Run for the doctor,' I said. When the doctor came he called the police
and coroner. They told me not to disturb the body. Later they took it
away, and the gardener told me--"
 
"Never mind what Peck told you," interrupted the attorney. "We will let
him tell it. Is that all you can tell us about the death itself?"
 
But the widow was weeping now, so violently that the court ordered her
excused.
 
* * * * *
 
The gardener was called and took the stand displaying a big, black eye,
which offered comedy relief to a pathetic situation.
 
"On the main road to the east," he began after preliminary questioning,
"was a small car which had been parked there all morning. I noticed it
because it had no license plates. It was visible from the inside of the
grounds, but was hidden from the road by a hedge. It made me wonder
because it was just inside our grounds.
 
"I had some very special red flags which I planted as a border back of
pink geraniums. They were doing fine. I got them from the Fabrish seed
house. There are no plants like Fabrish's--I wouldn't give a snap of my
finger for all the other--"
 
"Just a minute," interrupted the attorney. He told the gardener to never
mind the geraniums and flags, but to tell just what happened.
 
"Well, I was bending over the border bed when I heard sounds like
someone running along the gravel path towards me. I heard a humming like
a bumble bee and I jumped to my feet. Just then something hit me in the
eye and knocked me down. Yes sir, knocked me plumb down, and--"
 
"Then what happened? Never mind the asides, the extras--tell us just the
simple facts," instructed the attorney.
 
"Well, you won't believe it, but I heard the footsteps leave the road.
The geraniums were badly trampled. I looked at the parked automobile and
could hear the hum coming from there.
 
"The machine started and turned into the road--"
 
"Did you notice anyone at the wheel?"
 
"That's what you're not going to believe. There wasn't anybody in that
auto at all. I didn't see anyone at any time. The auto started itself,
and what is more, that auto only went about a hundred yards when it
disappeared altogether--like that--like a flash."
 
"Did it turn off the road?"
 
"I didn't turn anywhere. It was in the middle of the road. It just
disappeared right in the middle of the road. It started without a
driver, it turned north without a driver, and went on by itself for
about a hundred yards. Then it vanished in the middle of the road. Just
dropped out of sight."
 
The court-room was hushed. The audience and court attaches were awe
stricken and looked their incredulity.
 
"Do you mean to tell us that auto drove itself?" asked the court
sternly.
 
* * * * *
 
The witness was completely confused. The attorney came to his rescue,
looked at the court, and said:
 
"He has told that same story a hundred times, and he will stick to it.
It seems impossible, but has not Mrs. Darrow told us she heard this
humming and saw nothing? With the purely perfunctory recitals of the
doctor and the constabulary this court and the jury have heard all there
is to hear. We have no more witnesses. That is all there is.
 
"The jury will have to decide from the evidence whether this case is
accident or murder. The doctor and two experts have reported that the
wound appeared to have been made by some blunt instrument, swung
powerfully. The skull under the wound and back of the ear was simply
crushed. Death was instantaneous. It all happened in broad daylight."
 
After an hour's deliberation the jury decided the savant came to his
death in his laboratory from a blow on the skull received in some manner
unknown.
 
The crowd filed out, spiritedly discussing the unusual crime. In the
crowd was Perkins Ferguson, known as "Old Perk," head of the Schefert
Engineering Corporation, who paid royalty on some of the Darrow patents.
With him was Damon Farnsworth, his first vice-president.
 
"Well, what do you think of it?" asked Farnsworth, biting into a black
cigar.
 
"Damned weird, isn't it?" replied "Old Perk." "I have my own theory,
however," he added, "but I am going to know a whole lot more about this
case before I venture it." The pair climbed into Ferguson's car
discussing the Darrow death case with furrowed brows.
 
* * * * *
 
What might be termed an extraordinary meeting of the directors of the
Schefert Engineering Corporation, was held a few days later in a big
building in the financial district.
 
The rich furnishings of the directors' room indicated, better than
Bradstreet's, the great wealth of the corporation. Uniformed pages stood
at attention at each end of the long, mahogany table at which were
seated the fourteen directors of the company. All were men of wealth,
standing and engineering knowledge. The departed Darrow often had been
summoned to such meetings, and at this one there was a hush because of
his recent demise.
 
After a batch of preliminary business had been transacted, Ferguson
arose and cleared his throat. The directors leaned forward in their
chairs expectantly. The page boys lost their mechanical attitude for the
instant and fairly craned their necks around the bulks of the forms in
front of them.
 
"The Darrow case has taken a sudden and sinister turn," said the
president. "I have a letter. I will read it:
 
"Old Perk: Get wise to yourself. We are in a position to destroy
you and all the pot-bellies in the Wall Street crowd. If you want
to die of old age, remember what happened to Darrow and begin
declaring us in on Wall Street dividends. If you do not you will
follow Darrow in the same way.
 
"Our first demand is for $100,000. Leave this amount in hundreds
and fifties in the rubbish can at the corner of 50th Street and
Broadway at 10 A. M. next Thursday. If you fail we will break your
damned neck. Bring the police with you if you like.
 
Invisible Death.
 
* * * * *
 
Ferguson passed the letter around for inspection. It was painstakingly
printed, evidently from the type in a rubber stamp set such as is sold
in toy stores.
 
"I have decided," said Perkins at length, "to give this case to Walter
Lees. He has never failed us in mechanical, chemical, or any form of
scientific problem. I hope he will not fail in this. He will work
independently of the police, who have requested that we keep the
appointment at 50th Street and Broadway at the hour named. We will
deposit a roll of newspapers, around which has been wrapped a fifty
dollar bill and then we will stand by while the awaiting detectives do
their duty."
 
"You do not think anyone is going to call for any supposed package of
money at one of the most congested corners in the world in broad
daylight?" asked a director at the end of the table.
 
"Why not?" asked Ferguson. "A seedy individual could pick a package from
a rubbish bin at that corner without attracting the least attention."
 
"I guess you're right," agreed the doubting one.
 
"I know I'm right," said the president. And he usually was.
 
"I have already arranged to have Lees instructed in his work," Ferguson
volunteered as a pause came in the buzz of conversation about the table.
"Lees is young, but he is capable." There was general discussion of the
strange case of Darius Darrow; the room filled with the blue haze of
many cigars.
 
Suddenly a low, humming sound was heard in the room.
 
Papers on the directors' table were bunched as if by unseen hands, and
thrown to the ceiling, from which they descended like flakes of snow and
scattered about the room.
 
A book of minutes was torn from the hands of a secretary. It was raised
and brought down on vice-president Farnsworth's head. A chair was pulled
out from under another direction and he was deposited in an undignified
heap on the floor.
 
Another director acted as though he had been tripped, and he fell on top
of Farnsworth. Two big vases crashed to the floor in bits. Other
decorative objects were scattered about.
 
The directors who had been hurtled to the floor stood up with
__EXPRESSION__s of comical surprise on their features. Their chairs
catapulted into a far corner of the room, one after the other.
 
Startled __EXPRESSION__s resounded from the group.
 
A small bookcase fell on its front with a crash of glass. Ferguson's
cane jumped in the air and crashed a window pane.
 
The humming ceased suddenly.
 
* * * * *
 
The room was a wreck. The assembled men stood aghast. They were simply
nonplussed. Finally they phoned for the police.
 
After hearing the strange recital from so many highly reputable
witnesses, a detective sergeant, who had responded to the call with
others, reported to headquarters.
 
A uniformed police guard was sent to the place with instructions to
remain on duty until relieved.
 
Ferguson sent for Walter Lees, the young engineer of whom he had spoken
to the directorate. Assigned to the task of unraveling the Darrow death
mystery, Lees ran true to form by getting busy at once. This was at
midnight of the day of the surprising directors' meeting. Lees owned a
big car; he piled into it and started for the scene of the crime.
 
Daybreak found him examining every inch of the road around the Darrow
estate. Then he searched the hedge along the east road, where the
phantom auto had disappeared after the crime. The brush along the
opposite side of the thoroughfare was also gone over.
 
Passing autos had stopped to ask the meaning of his flashlight. Lees
explained he had lost a pocketbook. It was as good an excuse as any and
served to keep him from drawing a crowd. He found nothing to reward his
long and painstaking efforts.
 
At seven A. M. he decided to interview the Darrow widow, and found her
already up and about her kitchen, weeping softly as she worked.
 
She bade him be seated in the living room.
 
"No, I am not afraid to stay here alone," she said in reply to Lees'
first question. "Whoever killed my husband did so to get possession of
his second model. They had already stolen the first. I have thought
since that they were afraid that the finding of the second model after
his death would aid in their detection. For some reason they had to have
both models."
 
She agreed to tell all she knew of the case. Lees listened to the long
recital as already recorded at the coroner's inquest. By adroit
questioning Lees gained just one new fact. Mrs. Darrow remembered that
she had called her husband, just before he retired to his laboratory, to
fix a towel hanger in the kitchen. "He found the pivot needed oiling,"
explained the widow. "That was all. He oiled it and went into the laboratory."

댓글 없음: