2017년 1월 23일 월요일

Armenian Legends and Poems 5

Armenian Legends and Poems 5


INCENSE
 
By ZABELLE ESSAYAN
 
(Born 1878)
 
 
The incense at the altar slowly burns
Swayed in the silver censer to and fro;
Around the crucifix it coils and turns,
The brows of saints it wreathes with misty glow.
 
And tremulous petitions, long drawn out,
Beneath the lofty arches faint away;
To weary eyes the candles round about
Heave as they flicker with their pallid ray.
 
The sacred columns, grey and mouldering,
Support a veil that stirs with voiceless sobs.
Beneath it, like the incense smouldering,
A woman’s darkened heart in anguish throbs.
 
Consumed within the censer now, and burned,
The incense through the boundless ether soars.
What Matter was to Fragrance sweet is turned
The cleansing fire its purity restores.
 
Nor shall that woman’s smouldering heart be freed,
Saved from its cold and adamantine shell,
Till it is melted, tried, and cleansed indeed,
Till the pure flames shall all its dross expel!
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
THE LITTLE LAKE [4]
 
By BEDROS TOURIAN
 
(18521872)
 
 
Why dost thou lie in hushed surprise,
Thou little lonely mere?
Did some fair woman wistfully
Gaze in thy mirror clear?
 
Or are thy waters calm and still
Admiring the blue sky,
Where shining cloudlets, like thy foam,
Are drifting softly by?
 
Sad little lake, let us be friends!
I too am desolate;
I too would fain, beneath the sky,
In silence meditate.
 
As many thoughts are in my mind
As wavelets o’er thee roam;
As many wounds are in my heart
As thou hast flakes of foam.
 
But if heaven’s constellations all
Should drop into thy breast,
Thou still wouldst not be like my soul,
A flame-sea without rest.
 
There, when the air and thou are calm,
The clouds let fall no showers;
The stars that rise there do not set,
And fadeless are the flowers.
 
Thou art my queen, O little lake!
For e’en when ripples thrill
Thy surface, in thy quivering depths
Thou hold’st me, trembling, still.
 
Full many have rejected me:
“What has he but his lyre?”
“He trembles, and his face is pale;
His life must soon expire!”
 
None said, “Poor child, why pines he thus?
If he beloved should be,
Haply he might not die, but live,
Live, and grow fair to see.”
 
None sought the boy’s sad heart to read,
Nor in its depths to look.
They would have found it was a fire,
And not a printed book!
 
Nay, ashes now! a memory!
Grow stormy, little mere,
For a despairing man has gazed
Into thy waters clear!
 
 
Translated by Alice Stone Blackwell.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
SPRING
 
By HOVHANNES HOVHANNESSIAN
 
(Born 1869)
 
 
None await thy smiling rays;
Whither comest thou, O Spring?
None are left to sing thy praise
Vain thy coming now, O Spring!
 
All the world is wrapped in gloom,
Earth in blood is weltering:
This year brought us blackest doom
Whither comest thou, O Spring?
 
No rose for the nightingale,
No flower within park or dale,
Every face with anguish pale
Whither comest thou, O Spring?
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
CRADLE SONG
 
By RAPHAEL PATKANIAN
 
(18301892)
 
 
Mother
 
Sweet slumber now creeps o’er thee slow,
Sweet breezes rock thee to and fro:
My baby sleeps, so soft and low
With sweetest songs I’ll sing oror. [5]
 
 
Baby
 
O Mother dear, thou art unkind
My sleepless eyes so long to bind. [6]
Anon I’ll rest, and sleep resigned;
Release me now, sing not oror.
 
 
Mother
 
Why dost thou shed those tears that flow
Down thy sad cheeks with pearly glow?
Thou’lt break thy heart with sobbing so,
Whom wilt thou have to sing oror?
 
 
Baby
 
At least my hands and feet unbind
My tender limbs are all confined;
That gentle sleep my eyes may find,
Then tie me in, and sing oror.
 
 
Mother
 
That tongue of thine is passing sweet,
Yet with thy yards I cannot mete.
Thou wilt not sleep, but at thy feet
Wouldst have me sit, and sing oror.
 
 
Baby
 
All piteously I raise my prayer,
I sob and cry, thou dost not hear.

댓글 없음: