2017년 1월 23일 월요일

Hills of Han 38

Hills of Han 38


It was “hard to say.” But he found objective thought helpful. Emotion
seemed, this night, not unlike a consuming fire. Emotion was, in its
nature, desire. It led toward destruction.
 
He even made himself sleep a little, in a chair; until John knocked, at
seven. Then he changed from evening dress to knickerbockers. His spirit
had now sunk so low that he had John serve them separately with
breakfast.
 
When the caravan was ready he went out to the courtyard and busied
himself preparing the litter for her. She came out with John, very
white, glancing at him with a timid question in her eyes. In his
stiffest manner he handed her into the litter.
 
Then, accompanied by three soldiers, they swung out on the highway. The
fourth soldier joined them outside the wall; him Brachey had sent to the
telegraph station with a message to his Shanghai bankers advising them
that his address would be in care of M. Pourmont, the Ho Shan Company,
Ping Yang, Hansi, and further that cablegrams from America were to be
forwarded immediately by wire.
 
4
 
Only at intervals during the forenoon did Betty and Brachey speak; for
the most part he rode ahead of the litter. The luncheon hour was
awkward; the dinner hour, when they had settled at their second inn, was
even more difficult. They sat over their tin plates and cups in gloomy
silence.
 
Finally Betty pushed her plate away, and rose; went over to the papered
window and stared out.
 
Brachey got slowly to his feet; stood by the table. He couldn’t raise
his eyes; he could only study the outline of his plate and move it a
little, this way and that, and pick up crumbs from the table-cloth. His
mind was leaden; the sense of unreality that had come to him on the
preceding day was now at a grotesque climax. He literally could not
think. This, he felt, was the final severe test of his character, and it
exhibited him as a failure. He was then, after all, a lone wolf; his
instinct had been sound at the start, his nature lacked the quality, the
warmth and richness of feeling, that the man who would claim a woman’s
love must offer her. He could suffer--the pain that even now, as he
stood listless there, downcast, heavily fingering a tin plate, was
torturing him to the limits of his capacity to endure, told him that--
out suffering seemed a poor gift to bring the woman he loved. ... And
here they were, unable to turn back. It was unthinkable; yet it was
true. His reason kept thundering at his ear the perhaps tragic fact that
his spirit was unable to grasp.... Braehey, during this hour--with a
bitterness so deep as to border on despair--told himself that his lack
amounted to abnormality. His case seemed quite hopeless. Yet here he
was; and here, irrevocably, was she. The harm, whatever it might prove
to be, and in spite of his sensitive, fire conquest of them emotional
problem (at such a price, this!) was done. And there were no
compensations. Here they were, lost, groping helplessly toward each
other through a dark labyrinth.
 
Even when she turned (he heard her, and felt her eyes) he could not look
up.
 
Then he heard her voice; an unsteady voice, very low; and he felt again
the simple honesty, the naively child-like quality, that had seemed her
finest gift. It was the artist strain in her, of course. She was not
ashamed of her feeling, of her tears; there had never been pretense or
self-consciousness in her. And while she now, at first, uttered merely
his name--‘“John!”--his inner ear heard her saying again, as she had
said during their first talk in the tennis court--“I wonder if it is
like a net.”... Yes, she seemed to be saying that again.
 
But he was speaking; out of a thick throat:
 
“Yes?”
 
“What are we to do?”
 
He met this with a sort of mental dishonesty that he found himself
unable to avoid. “Well--if all goes well, we shall be safe at Ping Yang
within forty-eight hours.”
 
“I don’t mean that.”
 
“Well...”
 
“I shouldn’t have come.”
 
“I couldn’t leave you there, dear. Not there at T’ainan.”
 
“It wasn’t you who made the decision.”
 
“Oh, yes--”
 
“No, I did it. It seemed the thing to do.”
 
He managed to look up now, but could not knowhow coolly impenetrable he
appeared to be. “It _was_ the thing.”
 
She slowly shook her head. “No... no, I shouldn’t have come.”
 
“I can’t let you say that.”
 
“It’s true. Can’t we be honest?”
 
The question stung him. He dropped again into his chair and sat for a
brief time, thinking, thinking, in that, to her, terribly deliberate way
of his.
 
“You’re right,” he finally came out. “We’ve got to be honest. It’s
the only thing left to us, apparently... The mistake lay back there in
T’ainan. Our first talk in the tennis court. I knew then that the thing
for me to do was to go.”
 
“I didn’t let you.”
 
“But I should have. That situation was the same as this, only then we
hadn’t crossed our Rubicon. Now w e have. Don’t you see? This situation
has followed that, inevitably. And now we no longer have the power to
choose. We’ve got to go on, at least as far as Ping Yang. But we mustn’t
be together...”
 
She glanced at him, then away.
 
“--no, not even like this. We have no right to indulge our moods. I’m
going to be really honest now. We’re in danger from these natives, yes.
But that’s a small thing.”
 
She moved a hand. “Of course...” she murmured.
 
“The real danger is to you. And from me. Oh, my God, child, you’re
in danger from me!” He covered his face with his hands; then, after a
moment, steadied himself, and rose. “I can’t stay here and talk with you
like this. I can’t even help you. Already I’ve injured your name beyond
repair.”
 
She broke in here with a low-voiced remark the mature character of which
he did not, in his self-absorption, catch. “I don’t believe you know
modern girls very well.”
 
He went on: “So you see, I’ve hurt you, and now, when you need me
most--oh, I know that!--I’m fading you. It’s been a terrible mistake.
But it’s my job to get you to Ping Yang. That’s all. No good talking.
I’ll go now’.”
 
“I wish you wouldn’t.”
 
“I must. I--there we are! I’m failing you, that’s all.”
 
“I wonder if we’re talking--or thinking--about the same things.”
 
“Child, you’re young! You don’t understand! You don’t seem to see how
I’ve hurt you!”
 
“I think I see what you mean. But that--it might be difficult, of
course, for a while, but it isn’t what I’ve been thinking of. No, please
let me say this! It wouldn’t be fair not to give me my chance to be
honest too. As for that--hurting me--I came with my eyes open.”
 
“Oh, Betty--”
 
“Please! I did. I deliberately decided to come with you. I knew they’d
talk, but I didn’t care--much. You see I had already made up my mind
that we were to be married. We’d have to be, once you were free. The way
we’ve felt. You came way out here, and then you didn’t go.”
 
“That was weakness.”
 
“You can call it weakness, or something else. But I’m in the same boat.
And if we couldn’t let each other go then, it was bound to grow harder
every day. I had to recognize that. That was where I crossed my Rubicon.
Nothing else mattered very much after that. I came with you because I
was all alone, and miserable, and--oh, I may as well say it...”
 
“Oh, yes, honesty’s the only thing now.”
 
“Well, I simply had to. I couldn’t face life any other way. I’ve been
thinking it over and over and over. I see it now. I was just selfish.
Love is selfishness, apparently. I fastened myself on you. I knew you
had to have solitude, but I didn’t seem to care. Perhaps you’ve hurt me.
I don’t know. But I am beginning to see that I’ve wrecked your life. I’m
your job, now, just as you said. All those things you said on the ship
have been coming up in my mind yesterday and to-day. Don’t you suppose
I can see it? My whole life right now is a demand on you.” Her tone was
not bitter, but sad, unutterably sad. “You said, ‘Strength is better.’
I’m running up with you now a ‘spiritual’ debt greater than I can ever
pay. You said, ‘If any friend of mine--man or woman---can’t win his own
battles, he or she had better go. To hell, if it comes to that.’”
 
She was looking full at him now, wide-eyed, standing rigid, her hands
extended a little way.
 
There was a long silence; then, abruptly, without a word, without even a
change of __EXPRESSION__ on his gloomy face, he left the room.   

댓글 없음: