2017년 1월 23일 월요일

Hills of Han 50

Hills of Han 50


It seemed an hour later when footsteps sounded outside, and the outer
door opened. Then they came in, father and daughter.
 
Betty, rather white, stood hesitant, looking from one to the other.
Doane placed a gently protecting arm about her slim shoulders.
 
“I haven’t told her,” he said. “That is for you to do. I want you both
to wait while I look for the others.”
 
He was gone. Betty came slowly forward. Brachey handed her the
cablegram.
 
“I--I can’t read it,” she said, with a tremulous little laugh.
“John--I’m crying!”
 
4
 
The door squeaked. Miss Hemphill looked in; stopped short; then in
a sudden confusion of mind in which indignation struggled with
bewilderment for the upper hand, stepped back into the hall. Before
she could come down on the decision to flee, Dr. Cassin joined her;
curiously, carrying her medicine case.
 
To the physician’s brisk, “Mr. Doane sent word to come here at once.
Do you know what is the matter?” Miss Hemphill could only reply, rather
acidly, “I can’t imagine!”
 
Mrs. Boatwright came into the corridor then, followed by Doane. She
walked with firm dignity, her enigmatic face squarely set. And when he
ushered them into the room, she entered without a word, but remained
near the door.
 
For a long moment the room was still; a hush settling over them that
intensified the difficulty in the situation. Miss Hemphill stared down
at the matting. Mrs. Boatwright’s eyes were fixed firmly on the wall
over the bed. The one audible sound was the heavy breathing of Griggsby
Doane, who stood with his back to the door, brows knit, one hand
reaching a little way before him. He appeared, to the shrewd eyes of Dr.
Cassin, like a man in deep suffering. But when he spoke it was with
the poise, the sense of dominating personality, that she had felt and
admired during all the earlier years of their long association. Of late
he had been ill of a subtle morbid disease of which she had within the
week witnessed the nearly tragic climax; but now he was well again....
Mary Cassin was a woman of considerable practical gifts. Her medical
experience, illuminated as it had been by wide scientific reading,
gave her a first-hand knowledge of the human creature and a tolerant
elasticity of judgment that contrasted oddly with the professed tenets
of her church, with their iron classification as sin of much that is
merely honest human impulse, that might even, properly, be set down
as human need. She saw clearly enough that the quality in the human
creature that is called, usually, force, is essentially emotional in its
content--and that the person gifted with force therefore must be plagued
with emotional problems that increase in direct ratio with the gift.
Unlike Mrs. Boatwright, who was, of course, primarily a moralist,
Mary Cassin possessed the other great gift of dispassionate, objective
thought. I think she had long known the nature of Doane’s problem.
Certainly she knew that no medical skill could help him; her
advice, always practical, would have taken the same direction as Dr.
Hidderleigh’s. It brought her a glow of something not unlike happiness
to see that now he was well. The cure, whatever it might prove to have
been, was probably mental. Knowing Griggsby Doane as she did, that was
the only logical conclusion. For she knew how strong he was.
 
“There has existed among us a grave misapprehension”--thus Doane--“one
in which, unfortunately, I have myself been more grievously at fault
than any of you. I wish, now, before you all, to acknowledge my own
confusion in this matter, and, further, to clear away any still existing
misunderstanding in your minds.... Mr. Brachey has established the fact
that he is eligible to become Betty’s husband. That being the case, I
can only add that I shall accept him as my only son-in-law with pride
and satisfaction. He has proved himself worthy in every way of our
respect and confidence.”
 
Mary Cassin broke the hush that followed by stepping quickly forward
and kissing Betty; after which she gave her hand warmly to Brachey. Then
with a word about her work at the hospital she went briskly out.
 
Miss Hemphill started forward, only to hesitate and glance in a spirit
of timid inquiry at the implacable Mrs. Boatwright. To her simple,
unquestioning faith, Mr. Doane and Mary Cassin could not together be
wrong; yet her closest daily problem was that of living from hour to
hour under the businesslike direction of Mrs. Boatwright. However,
having started, and lacking the harsh strength of character to be cruel,
she went on, took the hands of Betty and Brachey in turn, and wished
them happiness. Then she, too, hurried away.
 
Elmer Boatwright was studying his wife. His color was high, his eyes
nervously bright. He was studying, too, Griggsby Doane, who had for
more than a decade been to him almost an object of worship. Moved by
an impulse, perhaps the boldest of his life--and just as his wife said,
coldly, “I’m sure I wish you happiness,” and moved toward the door--he
went over and caught Betty and Brachey each by a hand.
 
“I haven’t understood this,” he said--and tears stood in his eyes as he
smiled on them--“but now I’m glad. Betty, we are all going to be proud
of the man you have chosen. I’m proud of him now.”
 
 
 
 
CHAPTER XXII--BEGINNINGS
 
1
 
THE day of sudden and dramatic peace was drawing near its close. Seated
on the parapet of a rifle pit Betty and Brachey looked out over the
red-brown valley. Long, faintly purple shadows lay along the hillside
and in the deeper hollows. From the compound, half-way down the slope,
a confusion of pleasant sounds came to their ears--youthful voices,
snatches of song, an energetically whistled Sousa march, the quaintly
plaintive whine of Chinese woodwinds--while above the roofs of tile
and iron within the rectangle of wall (that was still topped with brown
sand-bags) wisps of smoke drifted lazily upward.
 
“It seems queer,” mused he, aloud, “sitting here like this, with
everything so peaceful. During the fighting I didn’t feel nervous,
but now I start at every new sound. I loathed it, too; but now, this
evening, I miss it, in a way.” He gazed moodily down into the short
trench. “Right there,” he said, “young Bartlett was hit.”
 
“And you brought him in under fire.”
 
“A Chinaman helped me.”
 
“Oh, it was you,” she said. “He wouldn’t have done it. I watched
from the window.” Her chin was propped on two small lists; her eyes,
reflective, were looking out over the compound and the valley toward the
walled temple on the opposite slope with its ornate, curving roofs and
its little group of trees that were misty with young foliage. “I’ve been
thinking a good deal about that, and some other things. All you said,
back there on the ship, about independence and responsibility.”
 
“I don’t believe I care to remember that,” said he quietly.
 
“But, John, if you will say startling, strong things to an
impressionable girl--and I suppose that’s all I was then--you can’t
expect her to forget them right away.”
 
His face relaxed into a faint, fleeting smile. But she went earnestly
on.
 
“Of course I know it wasn’t really long ago. Not if you measure it by
weeks. But if you measure it by human experience it was--well, years.”
 
He was sober again; cheek on hand, gazing out into those lengthening,
deepening shadows.
 
“That was what we quarreled about, John. I felt terribly upset. I was
blue--I can’t tell you! Just the thought of all your life meant to you,
and how I seemed to be spoiling it.”
 
A strong hand drew one of hers down and closed about it. “I’m going to
try to tell you something, dear,” he said. “You thought that what I said
to you, on the ship, was an __EXPRESSION__ of a real philosophy of life.”
 
“But what else could it have been, John?”
 
“It was just a chip--right here.” He raised her hand and with it patted
his shoulder. “It was what I’d tried for years to believe. I was bent on
believing it. You know, Betty, the thing we assert most positively isn’t
our real faith. We don’t have to assert that. It’s likely to be
what we’re trying to convince ourselves of.... I’m just beginning to
understand that, just lately, since you came into my life--and during
the fighting. I had to bolster myself up in the faith that a man can run
away, live alone, because it seemed to be the only basis on which I, as
I was, could deal with life. The only way I could get on at all. But you
see what happened to me. Life followed me and finally caught me, away
out here in China. No, you can’t get away from it. You can’t live
selfishly. It won’t work. We’re all in together. We’ve got to think
of the others..... I’m like a beginner now--going to school to life.
I don’t even know what I believe. Not any more. I--I’m eager to learn,
from day to day. The only thing I’m sure of”... he turned, spoke with
breathless awe in his voice... “is that I love you, dear That’s the
foundation on which my life has got to be built. It’s my religion, I’m
afraid.”
 
Betty’s eyes filled; her little fingers twisted in among his; but she
didn’t speak then.
 
The shadows stretched farther and farther along the hillside. The sun,
a huge orange disc descending amid coppery strips of shining cloud,
touched the rim of the western hills; slid smoothly, slowly down behind
it, leaving a glowing vault of gold and rose and copper overhead and a
luminous haze in the valley. Off to the eastward, toward Shau T’ing and
the crumbling ruins of the Southern Wall (which still winds sinuously
for hundreds of miles in and out of the valleys, and over and around the
hills) the tumbling masses of upheaved rock and loess were deeply purple
against a luminous eastern sky.
 
“Will you let me travel with you, John? I’ve thought that I could draw
while you write. Maybe I could even help you with your books. It would
be wonderful--exploring strange places. I’d like to go down through
Yunnan, and over the border into Siam and Assam and the Burmah country.
I’ve been reading about it, sitting in the hospital at night.”
   

댓글 없음: