2017년 1월 2일 월요일

The Goddess of Reason 41

The Goddess of Reason 41


YVETTE
 
She is dead; I’m lost. But thouBut thou
Farewell! Farewell!
 
DE VARDES
 
Thou said’st, _I’ll to Lalain_.
I do forbid it utterly.
 
YVETTE
 
Oh!
 
DE VARDES
 
Obey!
It is thy seigneur’s last command.
(_To himself._) Thou fool!
Touch not her hand. ‘Tis red!
 
YVETTE
 
Monseigneur!
 
DE VARDES
 
Why art thou both so fair and foul a thing?
 
YVETTE
 
Ay, call me thatI care not!
 
DE VARDES
 
I’ll call thee “Death,
Sweet Deathfair Treachery!”
 
YVETTE
 
Forgive, forgive!
 
DE VARDES
 
There’s blood upon thy hand.
 
YVETTE
 
Forgive!
 
DE VARDES
 
Alas!
Thou didst betray!
 
YVETTE
 
I would that I were dead
In Paimpont Wood, beside the Druid Stone!
 
DE VARDES
 
I would that I had never strayed that way!
 
YVETTE
 
I won that paper in that purse of gold!
And it was life, I tell thee, life for both!
O God! how all things here miscarry!
 
DE VARDES
 
I would that I had never seen thy face!
 
YVETTE
 
Oh, much I hated her, la belle Marquise,
And yester morn I did betray her there,
Just in the moment God gave o’er my soul!
And she is deadI cannot bring her back.
Oh, swift the madness passed and came remorse,
And I did hate myself, and strove to save!
Oh, woe, and double woe! He promised me!
Oh, I have striven with a fiend from hell
And not prevailed, though sorely I did strive!
O God! O God! I’m weary of the light!
Now, now thou too wilt die unlessunless
Ah, let me goFarewell, a little while!
 
DE VARDES
 
Not till I know where thou dost go, and why.
 
YVETTE
 
Rémond Lalain gave me that paper.
It was an order, written by himself,
Whom even Carrier would not offend
A secret paper not for every eye.
Reward he asked for certain services,
Two lives, your life and hersand hers, I swear!
He does not leave his villa all this day,
But at the judgment bar you were to show
That paper to Lambertye or Sarlat,
And both were savedboth, both, I swear it, both!
And now she’s dead‘Twas life you flung away
Shut in that purse! You gave it to Grégoire!
Grégoire! He serves the Revolution,
Is flint to all beside! Oh me! Oh me!
I could not come myself, I could but send.
I won it not till cockcrow of this morn!
 
DE VARDES
 
Till cockcrow!
 
YVETTE
 
The dawn came slowly on.
The cock crew and I drew the curtain by
And saw the morning star above the Loire!
 
DE VARDES
 
The morning star!
 
YVETTE
 
‘Twas like the eye of God!
I used to watch it from the fields at dawn;
This morn ‘twas watching me!
 
DE VARDES
 
Rémond Lalain!
 
YVETTE
 
‘Twas all in vain. She’s deadah, ages since!
You’ll not forgiveSo fare you well again!
 
DE VARDES
 
Where goest thou, Yvette?
 
YVETTE
 
To Séraphine,
Beneath the Lanterne, Sign of the Hour Glass!
 
DE VARDES
 
Hear and obey! It is a dying man
Speaks to thee now and with authority!
Thy seigneur too, and head of all thy house.
When I am dead, the last of the De Vardes
Will be thyself, my cousin!All song doth say
That Duchess Jeanne who lived so long ago,
Whose pictured face and thine are counterparts,
E’en to the shadowy hair, the cheek’s soft curve,
The light of eye, the slow, enchanting smile,
All song doth say she had a bruisèd heart,
But in God’s sight a height of soul! So thou.
Go thou to Morbec. Leave this Babylon.
Back! from the travelled road thy foot’s upon!
List not unto the music that is played;
Touch not the scarlet flowers, the honey-sweet,
They’ll poison thee! Think not the light is fair,
It is false dawn. Take thou the darkling way
Shall lead thee to white light and lasting bloom!

댓글 없음: